Which name looks more feminine? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Which Spelling is more feminine?
Finley looks more feminine IMO 52 100.00%
Finlay looks more feminine IMO 85 100.00%
I prefer Finley 99 100.00%
I prefer Finlay 21 100.00%
Other 37 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 02-22-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've had so many conflicting responses to this question. We're naming our DD who is due in May "Finley". I *know* this is a masculine name that was originally a surname and traditionally spelled Fionnlagh.

I'm just curious in your opinion which of these two spellings looks more feminine to you? I'm mostly curious because people have said "I think Finley looks too masculine where Finlay is the more feminine version" and vice versa. Just wondering if I could get more of a general consensus.

If you hate the name that's fine, but we're already set on naming her this and my boys have been calling her "baby finley" for months now.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#2 of 58 Old 02-22-2008, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I voted other, lol. I'll mess your poll up right from the start, sorry. To me Finley looks right, Finlay just looks wrong somehow. Plus if I saw Finlay I'd pronounce it with a long a sound at the end instead of a long e. How about Finleigh? Truthfully it still looks a little wrong to me, but the -leigh is a common ending for girls' names so it looks more feminine.

Sorry for the complicated answer.
#3 of 58 Old 02-22-2008, 02:38 AM

I agree with the above poster and would pronounce Finlay as "Fin-LAY" not "Fin-LEE". but I also think that Finley is a very masculine name and don't think there's a way to make it feminine. If you're using a unisex name or a "boy" name for a girl, I wouldn't worry about making it look feminine, really. She's a girl with a boy name, and that's okay just as it is.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

#4 of 58 Old 02-22-2008, 03:08 AM

I voted other... I agree with the pp who suggested Finleigh. I think that definitely makes it look more feminine.
#5 of 58 Old 02-22-2008, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorified_rice View Post
I voted other... I agree with the pp who suggested Finleigh. I think that definitely makes it look more feminine.
I agree with this if you want it to be feminine, but meanwhile, a unusual masculine name for a girl can be really neat.
#6 of 58 Old 02-22-2008, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I would stick to Finley. Our dd has a male name, we tacked an 'e' onto the end to make it look feminine and now I regret it. Too many times correcting the spelling. I like the name btw...too bad my last name ends in a y.
#7 of 58 Old 02-22-2008, 05:20 AM

Finlay. Finley looks like the surname; Finlay looks like a given name.
#8 of 58 Old 02-22-2008, 11:02 AM

I LOVE Finlay for a girl. I knew someone on another list with a dd named, "Finlay" and I was really struck by the name and spelling. I don't normally "do" non-traditional names but I think, "Finlay" is really beautiful.
#9 of 58 Old 02-22-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the compliments on the name! I love it as well!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#10 of 58 Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 PM

I like Finley.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#11 of 58 Old 02-23-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
Ok, I voted other, lol. I'll mess your poll up right from the start, sorry. To me Finley looks right, Finlay just looks wrong somehow. Plus if I saw Finlay I'd pronounce it with a long a sound at the end instead of a long e. How about Finleigh? Truthfully it still looks a little wrong to me, but the -leigh is a common ending for girls' names so it looks more feminine.

Sorry for the complicated answer.
I totally agree with all of this. I would definitely think to pronounce "Finlay" differently, and I just like Finley a lot better. I think that's a great name for a girl. But IMO it would be better to just go with what you like best and feel is right, no matter what responses you get from people.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#12 of 58 Old 02-23-2008, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Finlee; Finli; Phinlee, etc.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#13 of 58 Old 02-23-2008, 04:12 AM

I voted other. I like the name either way and I think they look equally masculine.

I don't think that is bad for a girl. My dd's name is fairly masculine in all its spellings. If Finley speaks to you more than Finlay I would use that.

As others have said, I would probably see Finlay and pronounce it as a long "a" instead of an "e" sound. Finley I would pronounce as Fin-lee. If correct pronunciation and spelling are important to you that might be something to consider.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#14 of 58 Old 02-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Finlee; Finli; Phinlee, etc.
Well, I voted Finlay, but I think Finlee is much cuter!

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#15 of 58 Old 02-24-2008, 12:40 AM

Finlay. Most people will know how to pronounce it.

Ilaria mamma to Owen, Caroline & Patrick .... loving life as expats in Asia intactlact.gifnovaxnocirc.gifuc.jpgnamaste.gif
#16 of 58 Old 02-24-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilaria View Post
Finlay. Most people will know how to pronounce it.
Well, then am I pronouncing it wrong? I'd say long /e/ at the end for Finley, but I'd say long /a/ at the end for Finlay. I've never heard of it as a surname or a first name, but I think it is cute. I prefer Finley. I don't really like having the "lay" in there for some reason.
#17 of 58 Old 02-24-2008, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think you'll be happiest with Finley, since that's how you spell it in the post. I looked also at preventing dd from having taunts, or at least knowing what the taunts would be with her name.... "how does your fin lay, fish?" comes to mind
(sorry--I spend too much time with little people)
#18 of 58 Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
Well, then am I pronouncing it wrong? I'd say long /e/ at the end for Finley, but I'd say long /a/ at the end for Finlay. I've never heard of it as a surname or a first name, but I think it is cute. I prefer Finley. I don't really like having the "lay" in there for some reason.
How do you pronounce Lindsay? The same as Lindsey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
I think you'll be happiest with Finley, since that's how you spell it in the post. I looked also at preventing dd from having taunts, or at least knowing what the taunts would be with her name.... "how does your fin lay, fish?" comes to mind
(sorry--I spend too much time with little people)
This cracked me up!! Something to think about for sure. I always consider these things as well. I was teased all the time when I was in middle school about my last name and it was a big issue in my life at that age so I'm sensitive to it.

#19 of 58 Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 AM

I voted other, they both sound masculine to me and one does not seem more feminine than the other to me.
#20 of 58 Old 02-24-2008, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
I voted other, they both sound masculine to me and one does not seem more feminine than the other to me.
See to me I can't picture the name on a boy even though it is traditionally a boys name. To me they both sound fairly feminine. I was just surprised that the opinions differed so much between which sounded more feminine.

#21 of 58 Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 AM

I like the name for a girl, it does not sound like a boy's name at all to me. I prefer the spelling with an "ey" ending rather than an "ay" ending.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#22 of 58 Old 03-01-2008, 10:29 AM

If you want it pronounced fin-lee then stick with the Finley. If you go with Finlay she's going to get a lot of people mispronouncing it as fin-lay.

Mom to (5) (9)
#23 of 58 Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianchick View Post
I like the name for a girl, it does not sound like a boy's name at all to me. I prefer the spelling with an "ey" ending rather than an "ay" ending.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToKandE View Post
If you want it pronounced fin-lee then stick with the Finley. If you go with Finlay she's going to get a lot of people mispronouncing it as fin-lay.
And :

I Love that name, great choice! To me I see Finn as a more masculine or even gender neutral name but Finley to me has a more feminine flavour. Maybe it will go the way of "Ashley" and "Leslie" and similar sounding names, starting out as male and eventually end up being almost strictly used as a female name.

Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#24 of 58 Old 03-02-2008, 02:11 AM

Finley. Very cute, by the way!
#25 of 58 Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 PM

I agree w/pp, Finleigh would give you a feminine spelling. I think it is a great name, too.

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#26 of 58 Old 03-07-2008, 07:08 PM

Finley. Great name, btw!

I would not spell it finlay - which would be mispronounced as fin-lay. I think the word "lay" at the end opens the door to taunting.....
#27 of 58 Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
To me Finley looks right, Finlay just looks wrong somehow. Plus if I saw Finlay I'd pronounce it with a long a sound at the end instead of a long e. How about Finleigh? Truthfully it still looks a little wrong to me, but the -leigh is a common ending for girls' names so it looks more feminine.
Yes to all of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
I think you'll be happiest with Finley, since that's how you spell it in the post. I looked also at preventing dd from having taunts
I agree - and fish/fin/lay isn't what I'd worry about.... I immediately thought of high school and lay as in getting laid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
How do you pronounce Lindsay? The same as Lindsey?
Well, I would immediately pronounce Lindsey as "lin-zee" but Lindsay would make me stop to think - though I'd likely guess the same because "lin-zay" sounds so funny to me - but so does "fin-lay" which is what some people will say. If you want the "fin-lee" pronounciation (which I think is DARLING by the way!), then I'd go with Finley.

I actually love last names as first names. My dd1 is MacKenzie, and I've always loved Kirby for a first name. Parker. Taylor. There are just tons of examples.

I think Finn as a stand alone name is more masculine, but Finley seems completely gender neutral to me.

My dd2 is Rylie - which I spelled that way to give people a clue she is a girl, since the name was originally for boys. But all the little (younger than eight or ten) Riley/Rylie/Ryleighs now are girls.
#28 of 58 Old 03-11-2008, 06:07 PM

I like Finley. I don't think it looks feminine, but who cares? It's a great name!!

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#29 of 58 Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The "Leigh" ending made me think of another option "lea" Would "Finlea" work, or would you be afraid of her name being mispronounced as fin-lee-uh?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#30 of 58 Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 PM

I think Finley looks more feminine.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page