More Random Acts of Kindness.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-26-2008, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This was from last week, my 5 year old had surgery on Thursday to take out his adenoids and shave his tonsils due to sleep apnea. This is from my blog.....

Every Wed afternoon is date day for just Connor and I, he gets to pick what he would like to do. Sometimes it's just a trip to Jewel, Starbucks, the mall - it's nothing fancy or expensive it's just a way for us to spend some time together.

I told him I would take him to Build a Bear so he could make a friend to take with him tomorrow. Now if you've been there you know how fast $50 can add up, but since tomorrow is his surgery I wasn't going to put limits on him. He really wanted sound in his bear and picked out "Take Me Out To The Ballgame." While the lady was stuffing his bear she asked if we were there for anything special and Connor told her it was Date Day then he told her he was making a bear for his surgery tomorrow. After we fluffed and brushed "Cubby" we walked past the outfits he decided he wanted one of those too. He had a hard time deciding between a Bears outfit or a Cubs outfit but in the end the Cubs won out. We got him dressed and went to the computer to do the birth certificate. I didn't have the hat on yet because with the tags on his ear I couldn't get it on. Another lady came to help us and she took the tags off and put his hat on. When she was done she said that the bear was on them. I thought I heard her wrong and said "What?" She said that since C was having surgery they wanted to give him the bear. I was floored. I asked if I could at least pay for the outfit and sound, but she said no. I thanked her about a million times and almost started to cry. It was utterly and completely unexpected.

How sweet was that?

Fast forward to yesterday......we were at Panera having breakfast and who was there? The lady who gave us the bear, how funny is that? We got to thank her again and tell her that even when C was goofy because of the 'sleepy medicine' he knew that his bear played music and kept trying to turn it on.

We also got another extremely generous gift while we were at Panera yesterday. We're regulars at Panera on Sunday mornings and we've met a lot of other regulars too. Basically we know half the people in there on Sundays. With some people we've even become close friends. One is a mom and her little girl who is about 2.5. They're not there all the time but when they are, the kids sit together and enjoy each other. I'm pregnant and so everyone is always asking how things are going and some of them know about the problems the baby has (he has a brain tumor that they believe is a choroid plexus papilloma (benign tumor) and because of that Hydrocephely.) This lady usually brings some older ladies from her church with her and they get a kick out of the kids. I guess she told them about the baby, so they were telling us that they are keeping us in their prayers. One of the ladies we had only met once before, but she handed us a box. In the box was a gorgeous hand knit baby blanket. She said she knitted in full of prayers. I was speechless. Our friend told us later that she used to knit all the time but has stopped due to arthritis, but she felt she had to do this for us and did it anyway. I'm still blown away....

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-26-2008, 01:56 AM

Wow! How wonderful...so happy that you met with such terrific individuals! There are some good ones out there...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 5 Old 02-26-2008, 02:40 AM

That is so sweet... I got a little teary.

Thanks for sharing, it is always nice to hear about people being so nice and caring. Such a nice contrast to the horrors that we always heare about in the news or other places.

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

#4 of 5 Old 02-26-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, sometimes it's nice to know or be reminded that there are nice people out there!

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#5 of 5 Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 PM

Wow and double wow. Thank you for the uplifting stories. It's great to know that there are lots of kind hearted people who genuinely care about others.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page