Do you have a degree? In what? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've done some college, but got a job and ended up leaving school. I am thinking about getting my associates right now (medical assisting or something like that, I've only given it a day or two of thought), but part of me thinks that an associates isn't worth anything and no one will really care about it. But on the other hand, doing it may help me want to go further and get my bachelors.

I'm curious what you have and what you think about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 PM

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology. In Maine (where we live), I am able to hold a Social Work license with my degree (not able to do this in New Brunswick, where we are from). I wish I had taken nursing. I really like my job but the money sucks.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#3 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a B.A. in music.

I think for obtaining a job, an A.A or a certificate program of some kind is just as helpful if not more so. I have a friend and a sister both with B.S. degrees, and both of them got jobs based on the one year training program that they got several years after they graduated from college, when they realized their bachelor's wasn't getting them anywhere.
#4 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 PM

I have a BA in Broadcast News and Religious Studies
I am now getting a BS in Education
I wish I would have got something sure fire the first time!

Denise, Mama to DS1 (7) and DD1 (5) and new baby due June 2012!

#5 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 PM

I'm graduating with a Bachelors of Science in Biology in May. My college requires you take a number of very diverse courses in your major and then with electives within the department you can specialize (like the pre-med majors tend to take A & P, Gross Anatomy, etc. while the environmental types go for Evolution, Vert, etc.) or take a broad swath. I love it because there are so many fields you can work in and you come out with a broad knowledge base.
#6 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned

I have an A.A. in Criminal Justice. I was going to continue on to a B.A. in Psychology but changed my mind am working on my ADN now instead.
#7 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:43 PM

I have a BA in Liberal Arts with emphases in Psychology and Women's Studies, and an MA in Counseling Psychology. I'm a Marriage and Family Therapist and I love it. It was a long road to get through graduate school, interning and the licensure process, but I'm really glad I did it. I'm able to make a good income while working very PT, so I'm mostly home with my DSs.
#8 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Will getting it just make me look better, or will it do anything at all?
#9 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:53 PM

I have a BA in English with minors in Theatre, German, and Gender Studies.
#10 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a B.S. in Physics. It looks beautiful in the frame on the wall but didn't give me much in the way of practical preparation for a job. I ended up working as a nuclear engineer, my company gave me a year of on-the-job training and schools first.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#11 of 120 Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 PM

I have a BS in Geology.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#12 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 12:02 AM

Geography
#13 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Midwifery. A baccalaureate (bachelor's) degree in Health Sciences - Midwifery.

I am a smidge away from an honours degree (BA) in Women's Studies
#14 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 12:14 AM

B of Fine Arts - major in Art Education.

Never regretted it - but I do regret the amount of student loans I racked up getting in!

Kathy
#15 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 12:14 AM

BA. in Environmental Policy

MSc. in Environmental Toxicology
#16 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 12:17 AM

I have a BA in Sociology (concentration in Social Psychology; specialization in Computing) and an MA in Urban Planning (concentration in Transportation Planning).

The Bachelor's did practically nothing at all for me. Having the comfort level with computers was nice when it came to getting jobs, but that's it. OTOH, I'm a massive underachiever, so I never tried really hard to get a good job. ;-) I eventually landed in Computer Services and Tech Support.

Seven years later, I decided I wanted to become a Transportation Planner. ;-) So I went back to school. But then, we went ahead with TTC during the first quarter of my second year, so I spent the second year pregnant, and had a baby two weeks after graduation (when I still had five incompletes and a rewrite to do on my capstone project). It took me another year to complete all my coursework, and then a further year to track down all the appropriate professors to get my grades submitted ;-) but finally got my Master's. All the while, I was still a SAHM.

Now I'm working part-time, and I know having the MA justifies my pay rate at least. The writing work I did, as well as some of the community development stuff in the urban planning program, is useful in my current job (development department of a healthcare non-profit). I applied for a Transportation Planning Associate position with the City, though I can't start until at least 3 months PP if I get called up (I'm tied for second on the list). Without the Master's, I would need three years experience in Transportation Planning *plus* undergrad coursework in TP to qualify for the job, but thanks to the MA, I'm qualified even though all I've had is an internship (and the position starts at $56k a year... not bad for government work!).

Which tells you little about an AA... but here's the thing: if you go to a decent community college, and you complete an AA program in something that you find interesting, and take care to ensure that most of your units will be transferrable to a four-year program... employers will at least see that as you being "serious" about learning and expanding your options. Employers who want to invest in their employees will like it; ones who worry that you won't stay in your place will ignore it or be put off by it. It's almost like a litmus test. ;-)
#17 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 AM

I have a BA (Honours) in English with a Classics minor and an MA in English.
#18 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 12:37 AM

I'm a few months away from a Bachelors in Psychology. I'm only getting it because you can't get a BS in Pharmacy anymore, which I am also studying. Hoping to use this degree to go to pharmacy school to get my Pharm.D...but I'll probably end up in Pharmaceutical Sales for a few years. Pharmacy school is EXPENSIVE.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#19 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 AM

BA in sociology at San Francisco State, and then an additional year at Univ. of San Francisco to get my teaching credential (which I haven't used yet got pregnant just as I was graduating).
#20 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:03 AM

I have a BA and a MA in French Studies and in 2 months, I will have a B.Ed.
#21 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:04 AM

I have a BS and MS in electrical engineering.
#22 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 AM

I have some college, but I'm yet to graduate. I've taken most of my courses to be a RN (then decided I didn't want to do that), court reporting classes, and paralegal classes.
Now I think that once my children are bigger I want to go vack to school for dental hygeine.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#23 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 AM

BA in Spanish

Angie: mama to Erika and Ani: dw to Ole:::
#24 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
B of Fine Arts - major in Art Education.

Never regretted it - but I do regret the amount of student loans I racked up getting in!

Kathy
I hear that - am still in debt.

I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Writing, Literature & Publishing...basically an English major. Although I ended up working at a publishing house and then some trade magazines, that was no thanks to my college, which didn't offer any practical courses. They should have forced us to learn the basics of proof-reading, copy-editing and so forth. While I'm sure I wouldn't have been considered for the jobs I had, did I not have a Bachelor's...were I to do it all again, I would make darn sure I was learning something practical along the way. It's all nice to dissect Beowulf to pieces, but that didn't help me to get a job.

So, OP, an Associate's degree may or may not help, but that depends solely on the field you want to enter. Some don't require more than an Associate's; for others, it's standard to have a Bachelor's. Better to do your research first, than to possibly have to take out student loans for everything...only to not be able to use your degree.
#25 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:17 AM

BA in history, but my computer savvy got me a job eventually as a marketing director with a fortune 500 company

Working on my MPA (Public Administration) to work in non profit management

To the OP: an associates doesn't really do much, however, there are associates in like nursing where you can definitely start a career, or an associates in education can start you off as an assistant teacher, etc, so look into those type of things

I always think that education is not only about getting a job, but about giving yourself that gift of higher educ. and I always recommend going as long as you can.

Good luck.
#26 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 AM

I have a BA in Theatre and an MA in Integrated Marketing Communications.

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#27 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Banned

BA in math and psychology. Went to grad school in math, dropped out and went into the computer industry. As soon as DH finishes his PhD, I plan on going back for neuropsychology.

I am also still in debt with my student loans. They have been an absolute nightmare to me. Dave Ramsey said that there are now CDs with 1000s of scholarship/grant opps you can buy. I would suggest you try and get some grants if possible. (I know you didn't ask but student loans are at the top of my mind right now)
#28 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
I have a B.A. in music.

I think for obtaining a job, an A.A or a certificate program of some kind is just as helpful if not more so. I have a friend and a sister both with B.S. degrees, and both of them got jobs based on the one year training program that they got several years after they graduated from college, when they realized their bachelor's wasn't getting them anywhere.
I have a BA in music as well - w/ a focus on viola. I'm guessing by your UN that you play the viola. Nice to meet a fellow violist

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#29 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 AM

I have my BA double major in Psychology and Sociology. I also am 1/2 finished with a MS in counseling. To get a part time job that paid pretty well, I also have a CNA. Honestly, I don't think an associate degree will get you far just like I don't think a lot of BAs will get you far, but the education is nice. I love learning and I love that I went to college and took all the classes, but now in my life I am not working outside the home. My family thinks I am just wasting my degree since I am not working but I do love that I have them and can add them to my life experience (college was a blast. . .most fun I've had so far in my life).

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#30 of 120 Old 02-28-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilajolene View Post
I've done some college, but got a job and ended up leaving school. I am thinking about getting my associates right now (medical assisting or something like that, I've only given it a day or two of thought), but part of me thinks that an associates isn't worth anything and no one will really care about it. But on the other hand, doing it may help me want to go further and get my bachelors.

I'm curious what you have and what you think about this.
I have a master's degree in health administration and a BS in economics.

I am actually working on a grant for a Medical Assisting training program. MAs are in really high demand and that demand is projected to grow. If you do it, get an associates, don't go to one of the training schools. Make sure your units are transferable in case you decide to continue your education.
It's a well paid position for such a short training program, where I am (large metropolitan area in the Northwest) MAs start at $15/hr and top out at $20/hr. We are middle of the road for pay, there are some places that pay a bit more. The hours are decent, usually Monday through Friday 8-4:30ish, and there are part time positions available.
The step after MA is usually Physician Assistant, which is VERY well paid (about $80k/year), but can take a while to get into school. You may need a bachelor's degree first, depending on the program.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page