Is there any way to block "unknown ID" numbers from calling your cell phone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This person, which I know is from a collection agency, keeps calling and calling from a number that shows up as "unknown ID" and never, ever leaves messages. I am in the process of filing for bankruptcy right now as I'm disabled and cannot work and dh doesn't make enough for us to cover all the bills, so I'm not talking to any bill collectors until after I have met with my lawyer. The trouble is these calls come at least, five, six, sometimes even seven times a day. I changed my voicemail greeting to specify that I do not pick up numbers from blocked or unknown caller ID's, and then instruct that if you are calling from such a number please leave a message and I will get back to you, and they never leave a message. I was thinking of calling my service provider (Sprint) and asking them to please block all calls from unknown or blocked numbers...but is it possible for them to even do this?

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#2 of 12 Old 02-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Banned

We don't allow anyone to call that comes from a "private" number. Is that the same?
#3 of 12 Old 02-29-2008, 07:33 PM

yes, there is an annonymous call block option on most phone plans.
#4 of 12 Old 02-29-2008, 07:40 PM

This is a feature of vonage. I think all phone companies can provide this service.
#5 of 12 Old 03-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sprint is not able to do that They can't control who calls your phone. I was a sprint customer service person while I was pregnant with ds. All we could do in cases of harassing calls was either change the phone number or check their phone's manual. Your phone may have a feature that allows you to limit incoming calls.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#6 of 12 Old 03-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

If you know the address of the collection agency calling you can send them a letter that requires them to contact you only by mail. Violations are $1000 per incident.
#7 of 12 Old 03-11-2008, 04:08 PM

If you are using a lawyer to file your bk, you can refer them to your lawyer *if* you want to pick up the phone one time.

Otherwise, if you are filing soon, they are required to stop once you've filed. So might not have to ignore them for too much longer. It is weird that they won't leave a message, though.

love.gif

#8 of 12 Old 03-11-2008, 04:24 PM

With Verizon there's a free service that comes with caller ID that blocks all 'private' or 'unknown' callers. I believe it is activated by pressing #77. The caller gets a message to hang up, disable their 'private' number (I think by pressing #86) and then calling back. I LOVE this service!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#9 of 12 Old 03-11-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForKiddos View Post
With Verizon there's a free service that comes with caller ID that blocks all 'private' or 'unknown' callers. I believe it is activated by pressing #77. The caller gets a message to hang up, disable their 'private' number (I think by pressing #86) and then calling back. I LOVE this service!
My brother and SIL have this, and so do DD's aunt & uncle. Whenever we call them, we have to press 1 or something to take off our call block.
#10 of 12 Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Just answer the phone the next time they call and let them know that it is not convenient for you to receive phone calls from them and that all future communication needs to be by mail. As a pp said, they can be fined for any violations. I would also follow this up with a written letter to the agency (sent via certified mail, return receipt) that basically says "per our conversation on X date, all further communication from your agency needs to be through postal mail service" so that you do have a paper trail.
#11 of 12 Old 03-11-2008, 05:45 PM

I have Sprint as my cell phone provider and I have it set so that Unknown IDs don't ring, but I don't have them blocked so that the caller gets a message that I don't accept calls from unknown callers (I have that set up as a feature on my landline and I can turn it on and off). That might be a feature, but I haven't checked because I have a couple of friends who have their phones set as Private numbers and I don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of setting up codes and such -- they just have to let me know when they're calling so I pay attention and change the ring. I know that I can change the setting on my phone to change my phone to be a Unknown ID temporarily or for all calls, so there's probably some feature where you can at the very least set it so that you don't hear it ring.
#12 of 12 Old 03-11-2008, 06:29 PM

my cell phone has an option ont he phone itself to allow only people on my list to call, everyone else gets a message saying I am unavailable.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page