Ebay question-Major update in post #31. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I purchased some Waldorf homeschool books for my dd on Ebay and paid $150 for them. Weeks went by and nothing came. I contacted the seller numerous times and finally he wrote me back saying that the post office had found the package empty and is now looking for my items-but if they don't find them, he is not refunding me because I didn't purchase insurance. Can that be right? I pulled dd out of public school and spent the last of my money on these books- I haven't even started homeschooling her because we were waiting for these. I can't replace them.
I'm totally and completly freaked out. The seller has 2 negatives and a ton of postives in his feedback. I filed with Paypal, but I'm not sure if they will help me since he purchased DC and the PO lost it.
Can anyone give me hope?
#2 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 AM

Was it delivered to your address? If it was never delivered you will probably get a refund.
#3 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If he purchased DC and you chose not to buy insurance you are probably out of luck....unless he didn't offer insurance, then paypal may refund you.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#4 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

He purchased DC and it didn't ever show up and he's saying insurance was offered- I guess I just didn't check for that.
I'm soooooo sick to my stomach.
I can't buy Ari homeschool books now and I'm not the type who can homeschool without it being laid out for me. She's been sitting here for weeks waiting for these to come so I could start her schooling. Now what......?
#5 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 03:19 AM

How did you pay? I know paypal, but credit card or debit?

If credit, you can always contact your credit card for a chargeback.

Hopefully the USPS will find it. It's not showing as "delivered" on USPS, right?

#6 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

He sent it media mail. And I paid through my bank account.....
#7 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 03:34 AM

File a complaint with Ebay anyway -- they might give you your money back. The threat of negative feedback might lead him to give you your $ back.

If you paid by Paypal through your bank account, you may be protected. Check with Paypal. Most things are covered up to $200 with basic paypal stuff.
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...ide#pbp-policy

And ask for proof from the post-office that they were actually lost.

Post a notice on your local Freecycle board (www.freecycle.org) asking for homeschooling stuff. go to your local library -- they will have homeschooling stuff as well.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#8 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 AM

I'm sorry. That sucks.

Another possibility is to check the FFS board on a certain other site to which you may or may not belong.
#9 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 05:12 AM

That sounds incredibly fishy to me. After weeks of waiting and numerous e-mails from you, he finally contacts you saying his post office found the empty box?! Like it never made it away from his local PO? Yeah, awfully fishy to me.

Contact ebay and paypal. Make some noise. Also, like LynnS6 said, ask for proof from the post-office that they were actually lost. I'm thinking he never sent it at all, and is ripping you off (that's my guess).
#10 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 05:39 AM

I suggest going to the Trust & Safety board at ebay; the regulars there can help you out. It's good that you already filed with paypal; the time limits are absolute.

Insurance or not is irrelevant (insurance protects the seller); if you file a Item Not Received claim and the seller can't prove that it was delivered, paypal will refund you assuming that the sale qualified for their protection plan. You can check the original auction to see if it did.
#11 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

I know I'm being melodramatic but I'm beside myself with worry.
He would answer me when I'd email- but just a short sentence for a response.
He also coldly told me my item was lost and that I was out of luck. Actually he said that if the post office finds part of it they'll send me what they've found.
Well thanks dude.
I can't deal with waiting on her books anymore. I HAVE to get her started. This is such a bump in the road.
Hi Skyastara!!!!! PM me!!!!
#12 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 07:09 AM

Okay

I hope you like novels
#13 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 10:37 AM

You will more than likely get your money back through PayPal if it was never delivered. Insurance is for the sellers protection not yours, if there is not proof of delivery then PayPal will side with you and refund your money.
#14 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkuster View Post
I can't deal with waiting on her books anymore. I HAVE to get her started. This is such a bump in the road.
A little OT, but when did you pull her out of school? The suggestion is a month of deschooling for every year spent in school so don't think you have to get anything started right away. There's no have to.

Back on topic, as others have said insurance is for sellers and most likely pay pal will refund you. Definitely ask for proof from the post office.
#15 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 10:51 AM

Yup, unfortunately for us sellers, but good for buyers, is that paypal nearly always sides with buyers when you file with them.

There is also online Waldorf curriculum that is free or very cheap, assuming the PO is not going to find these books.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#16 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkuster View Post
I purchased some Waldorf homeschool books for my dd on Ebay and paid $150 for them. Weeks went by and nothing came. I contacted the seller numerous times and finally he wrote me back saying that the post office had found the package empty and is now looking for my items-but if they don't find them, he is not refunding me because I didn't purchase insurance. Can that be right? I pulled dd out of public school and spent the last of my money on these books- I haven't even started homeschooling her because we were waiting for these. I can't replace them.
I'm totally and completly freaked out. The seller has 2 negatives and a ton of postives in his feedback. I filed with Paypal, but I'm not sure if they will help me since he purchased DC and the PO lost it.
Can anyone give me hope?
If he had a DC and it was not delivered then you will get your money back via paypal. Assuming he has money in his account. Otherwise his account will be frozen. The DC has to show "delivered".

What you need to do, if paypal can't recover the money is then file with your credit card company. ALWAYS pay by a credit card through paypal. That way if paypal can't recover the funds you can call your credit card company and they will do a charge back.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#17 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 11:07 AM

Speaking as a small business owner, I can tell you with confidence that the seller is trying to bully you. He hasn't a leg to stand on. The insurance is there to cover his butt. Paypal will side with MOST buyers as long as the seller cannot produce proof that the package was delivered (i.e. through delivery confirmation) if the claim is filed in a timely manner.
I recommend escalating your claim via PayPal and notifying Ebay.
I have also never heard of DC being used with media mail. Your seller sounds shady.

DS 6 DD 8
#18 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Def sounds fishy to me.
Here's a source for you:
http://www.waldorfcurriculum.com/familieshome.html
#19 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 11:42 AM

It seems to me that if the PO found a box addressed to you with nothing in it they would contact you, not the person who sent it. Call the PO and see what they say.

Sorry I hope you get your money back.
#20 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 PM

Get the DC # and call his P.O. to inquire yourself about the package. When I have had packages go missing I contact the buyers local p.o.as well as ask them to too.

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#21 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM

Yep sounds fishy. I bet you get your money back. When you open up a dispute with paypal the seller needs proof that the buyer received the item. You never got it so he has no proof.

I had a friend that once bought a few hundred dollars worth of essential oils on ebay and was sent empty bottles. She fought and fought to get her money back but never did. Why? The seller had proof that the package was delivered.

That actually helps you. He has no prof.
#22 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 04:15 PM

How much was insurance? Usually it's a very small amount and very worth getting.

Hopefully you can get this solved, but you may be out of luck without insurance.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#23 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 05:13 PM

Don't listen to him. File a claim, and inform him you are doing so.

Insurance is NOT for the buyer's protection, even though sellers often swing it that way and make buyers pay for it. It is for the SELLER'S protection, in the event of loss, THEY will get $$ back (which they can then refund to you). If the SELLER does not purchase insurance and something happens, then they're just SOL and have to refund you out of their own pocket.

This man is being shady. File a claim IMMEDIATELY with ebay and paypal. If you want your money back very quickly, I'd flat out tell him, "I know how insurance works. It's for your protection, not mine, because you would be the one filing the claim with the PO and you'd be the one getting $$ from them. You know this didn't get delivered. Refund my money immediately. I'm going to contact ebay and paypal this afternoon unless you refund now. If the books get here after that, I'll be happy to return them to you at my expense." I bet you'll have your $$ really quickly.

And if he's a newbie, well, this will be a tough lesson for him on how to be a seller.
#24 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 PM

Yep. Paypal will side with you so file now before it's too late!

banana.gif

#25 of 55 Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

You know......now that I'm not so panicked.....
I tried to buy DC one on something I was sending through media mail and they told me you can't get it for that.
Ha!
I'm feeling more hopeful!
I also filed with Paypal, but I'm off to do so with Ebay as well. Thank you for all the responses.
#26 of 55 Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post

This man is being shady. File a claim IMMEDIATELY with ebay and paypal. If you want your money back very quickly, I'd flat out tell him, "I know how insurance works. It's for your protection, not mine, because you would be the one filing the claim with the PO and you'd be the one getting $$ from them. You know this didn't get delivered. Refund my money immediately. I'm going to contact ebay and paypal this afternoon unless you refund now. If the books get here after that, I'll be happy to return them to you at my expense." I bet you'll have your $$ really quickly.

And if he's a newbie, well, this will be a tough lesson for him on how to be a seller.
I copied and pasted a portion of your response, acting like I was just that smart and emailed it to him. Thanks.
#27 of 55 Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Oh. And to the people who sent me homeschool links- thank you for those as well. Dh is hogging the computer but when I get time to browse I'm heading straight to there.
#28 of 55 Old 03-06-2008, 03:03 AM

jill- come to the homeschooling section of MDC.
We can help you with your study worries

Also, just an FYI, I've used a DC on media mail. I've also heard of people not being able to use them on media :
#29 of 55 Old 03-06-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be right over lol....cause I'm just sitting here freaking out more by the minute.
#30 of 55 Old 03-06-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I tried to buy DC one on something I was sending through media mail and they told me you can't get it for that.

Thats odd, I send books frequently through media mail and always get DC on them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page