Really concerned about CPS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had to take my 13 month old into urgent care. I thought he might have brokne his wrist but it turns out to be a bad sprain. His other hand had a scar from an old burn they asked me about, and they asked if we were co-sleeping, we were. I guess it was relavent because he seemed fine when he fell asleep and woke up and couldn't crawl. Also me older son was with me and they asked him why he wasn't in school ... he wasn't because i had to take him with me to the urgent care when we woke up. Should I be concerned or am I being paranoid?
#2 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 01:10 PM

They are probing to see if these indicate a problem for sure.

BTW, I personally just lie when asked about co-sleeping. A toddler bed snugged up against your bed solves the problem of any questions asked if someone drops by.
#3 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 01:11 PM

I'd only be paranoid if they wanted to talk it over more like in a meeting or something or if they started asking questions that could have answers that would make me look bad. Know what I mean? But perhaps they just wanted to get an overview of the situation just to make sure everything was okay.

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#4 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 01:12 PM

I wonder why they would ask you if you co-sleep? That seems strange to me. I don't think you have anything to be worried about. Did you take your older DS to school for the rest of the day, or did you keep him home?
#5 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
I wonder why they would ask you if you co-sleep? That seems strange to me. I don't think you have anything to be worried about. Did you take your older DS to school for the rest of the day, or did you keep him home?
He was late but I took him to school. Our bed is 2 twin mattresses on the floor, with a guard on one side, for the baby and me. It didn't occur to me to lie, because the baby was really upset when they were checking his pulse, when he asked me.
#6 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 01:15 PM

I don't know why co-sleeping is ever an issue. AS a CPS worker, I can speak for my state as well as those around VA that co-sleeping cannot be used as a basis for a removal or even and investigation!!

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#7 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 01:17 PM

sorry- need to add more...most of my coworkers who have children co-sleep. I guess I am just dumbfounded because cosleeping just isn't on the spectrum of things to question.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#8 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't think they would have let you go home with the baby if they suspected abuse- they would have called CPS on the spot to start the investigation before discharging your child. If nobody from CPS contacted you while you were there, then I doubt they'll call now.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#9 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylieLove06 View Post
sorry- need to add more...most of my coworkers who have children co-sleep. I guess I am just dumbfounded because cosleeping just isn't on the spectrum of things to question.
It seemed relevant because baby fell asleep fine, but when we woke up he couldn't crawl. However, he started to fuss about 9 or 10, and I wasn't even in bed yet. I thought he might be teething, so I wasn't overly concerned.
#10 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Just FWI- I wouldn't tell anyone in the health care field that you co-sleep. It's just too risky, and it's not necessary for them to know.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#11 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your older child not being in school. According to your sig, your oldest just turned 4, so he's not of compulsory school age.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#12 of 16 Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 PM

My guess from your story was that the co-sleeping question was no more than an attempt to figure out how he got injured (like: is it possible someone rolled on his arm?).

They do ask probing questions with kids' injuries. I remember when my ds broke his collarbone the doctor asked me the same questions a couple of times (at different moments) -- I guess to make sure the story didn't change. It freaked me out a little, but that's just what they have to do.

I think if they're actually suspicious they will often keep you there longer waiting for something so they can observe you with your kids.
#13 of 16 Old 03-06-2008, 01:41 AM

If they were really thinking of calling CPS they would have done so already. I think that Mavery is right on that it's just trying to figure out what type of injury to consider.
Like a baby in a crib might've caught an arm in the rails.

Also, the fact you're cosleeping means that if he'd had a seizure or something in the night, you definitely would have known about it, while a baby that was down the hall might've had a silent seizure without anyone knowing.
#14 of 16 Old 03-06-2008, 04:58 AM

I'd be concerned too. I've never been asked questions like those, and I've been in the ER with babies or young children several times.
#15 of 16 Old 03-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Joanna,

How is your LO doing today?
#16 of 16 Old 03-06-2008, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond lil View Post
Joanna,

How is your LO doing today?
He's doing great, Thanks for asking He's crawling with no problem, and back to his normal self.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page