Ah, I love a sense of entitlement - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3
Talk Amongst Ourselves > Ah, I love a sense of entitlement
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 03:25 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
Woah. That's awful.

One time someone came to my house to pick up a bunch of clothes from freecycle and had the gall to look around and say "do you have anything else? I'm going to sell this stuff". I was livid. LIVID. L.I.V.I.D. I still haven't gotten over it. We now give all of our things to the thrift store that supports the local homeless shelter.
I would've grabbed the stuff back out of their hands, threatened to call the police if they didn't leave, and posted the whole store on freecycle minutes later before they could get home and tell any lies about it.

And I'd stop using Freecycle as well.

mags's Avatar mags 04:07 PM 05-20-2008
Threebeans, I'm sorry that woman was so unappreciative and then RUDE on top of it. I have run into ppl like that before as well and it just leaves a really bad taste in your mouth. Your story is an example of one reason why we just donate our items to our UU church's tag sale every yr. I helped a friend with her garage sale before and was really surprised how rude and forward ppl were (walking around in her garage poking around where they shouldn't have been, wanting to see inside her house, making inappropriate, awkward comments). I don't mind shopping at garage sales when I'm in the mood, but I have run into enough garage sale weirdos that I know that I will never hold my own garage sale, b/c ppl like that freak me out and I don't want them to know where I live. I can't even just freecycle stuff, b/c the ppl out there who are just out to turn around and sell it just tick me off. Plus, I am really weird about ppl who I do not know showing up at my door. If I ever freecycled anything to a stranger, I would insist on mtg them in a parking lot or something, b/c I am paranoid.
onemoremom's Avatar onemoremom 05:06 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
This is what happens when we have the house to ourselves, the kids are asleep, we just got fun new adult toys in the mail, and DH is ...programming a database....
Hey! That sounds like my life Are ALL programmers workaholics, or what?
groovynaturemama's Avatar groovynaturemama 05:24 PM 05-20-2008
i do stuff like that all the time. why right now i'm in a stranger's house on their computer posting this. this was right after i took a couch from her driveway. she's making me breakfast right now

, sorry i couldn't help myself! no, op, that is pretty weird. entitlement indeed.
AEZMama's Avatar AEZMama 05:45 PM 05-20-2008
O..M...G....

Maybe they are related to the people who literally pushed me out of the way as I was trying to pay for my stuff at CVS today...because they had been in line ahead of me to purchase something, paid and then I had the GALL to be next in line and they decided they needed to return EVERYTHING THEY JUST BOUGHT to get a cart full of other stuff!

I ended up having to wait a few more minutes for my photos I was picking up (in addition to other things) so I decided to go and hit the next spot on my list and return. About 15 minutes later returned...and they were still at the register-returning something and buying more!!! The poor woman working there today....
fallriverfox's Avatar fallriverfox 06:34 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoremom View Post
Hey! That sounds like my life Are ALL programmers workaholics, or what?
No, my DH finishes his software development job on time so he can program for fun.
swimswamswum's Avatar swimswamswum 06:36 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I would've grabbed the stuff back out of their hands, threatened to call the police if they didn't leave, and posted the whole store on freecycle minutes later before they could get home and tell any lies about it.

And I'd stop using Freecycle as well.
I felt gobsmacked. I think I just stood there with my mouth open and said no.
It was one of those instances where I thought of all of the right things to say after she was gone.

I contacted the mods of our local freecycle site and I haven't used it since.
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 06:39 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
This is what happens when we have the house to ourselves, the kids are asleep, we just got fun new adult toys in the mail, and DH is ...programming a database....
I've found that in these situations, the best solution is to just drape myself over dh and start using the toy on him. This also works for things like watching movies--just pop it in and turn the volume up a bit, playing tennis--he doesn't seem to be able to concentrate with a racket in his lap, and of course, when all else fails, just sticking my head in between him and the screen and telling him he has 15 minutes to get to a stopping point and then I need him for X amount of time does wonders.
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 06:39 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post
I felt gobsmacked. I think I just stood there with my mouth open and said no.
It was one of those instances where I thought of all of the right things to say after she was gone.

I contacted the mods of our local freecycle site and I haven't used it since.
Hopefully she hasn't been allowed to use it either.
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 06:41 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEZMama View Post
O..M...G....

Maybe they are related to the people who literally pushed me out of the way as I was trying to pay for my stuff at CVS today...because they had been in line ahead of me to purchase something, paid and then I had the GALL to be next in line and they decided they needed to return EVERYTHING THEY JUST BOUGHT to get a cart full of other stuff!

I ended up having to wait a few more minutes for my photos I was picking up (in addition to other things) so I decided to go and hit the next spot on my list and return. About 15 minutes later returned...and they were still at the register-returning something and buying more!!! The poor woman working there today....
Sounds like a scam. I'd be wondering who else in the store was with them and what they were up to while these people made such a huge deal at the cash register.
Leilamus's Avatar Leilamus 06:44 PM 05-20-2008
that's crazy and beyond rude. sorry mama!
kamilla626's Avatar kamilla626 08:34 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by liss_420 View Post
i do stuff like that all the time. why right now i'm in a stranger's house on their computer posting this. this was right after i took a couch from her driveway. she's making me breakfast right now

DesireeH's Avatar DesireeH 08:39 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Wow. Someone skipped their bowl of boundaries this morning.

JustVanessa's Avatar JustVanessa 08:41 PM 05-20-2008
I am loving the DDDDC that the OP earned with this thread.
Irishmommy's Avatar Irishmommy 10:00 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Tell me this.

Say you're driving down the road in your beat up ancient car and happen to notice a pile of stuff at the end of the driveway marked 'free'. Say this wasn't garbage, but nice stuff that the Lady of the House had simply never got around to Craigslisting :

Say you rooted around through the pile and found some nice stuff, including a baby stroller, and a bouncy seat, and a lamp (Ok, well, the lamp was truly, ungodfully, HIDEOUS, but it was in pretty good condition for looking like Governer Jeb Bush's asshole)

Say you saw the Lady of the House as she was gardening and engaged her in conversation. Say the lady, who happens to be a car seat nut, noticed that one of your children wasn't restrained at all, and the other one was in an expired car seat that wasn't even belted into the vehicle.

Say that lady not only helped you install the baby's car seat, she GAVE you a very nice car seat of her own, free of charge. Because she's a good person like that :

WOULD you, after all that, come pound on the same lady's door the next morning shortly before nine (while she was in a bathrobe drying off from a shower) and demand to know if she had any more free stuff to give away, and look offended that she wouldn't let you in the house?

WOULD YOU? :

I wouldn't, no. Why did you?
ABrez's Avatar ABrez 11:00 PM 05-20-2008
On my way home from work today I was trying to imagine exactly what this lamp looked like. I figure it's got a wood base that's carved out in this shape: http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...en/noteeth.jpg
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 11:04 PM 05-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I wouldn't, no. Why did you?

theretohere's Avatar theretohere 12:18 AM 05-21-2008
Wow, now that's rude.
Sorry she treated you like that.
kamilla626's Avatar kamilla626 09:01 AM 05-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrez View Post
On my way home from work today I was trying to imagine exactly what this lamp looked like. I figure it's got a wood base that's carved out in this shape: http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...en/noteeth.jpg

didkisa's Avatar didkisa 09:17 AM 05-21-2008
OMG!!!! : The nerve of some people!
1  2  3

Up