Dh and I have hit a new low as parents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds1 lost a tooth this morning, and put it in his little tooth fairy pillow. (Yes, we do the tooth fairy - it's a long story, and I blame my mother entirely.) Anyhow, dh went to bed, and as I was almost asleep on the couch I realized I forgot to put a dollar in the pillow. I go to my wallet, nothing. I go get dh and he only had a $20.

Long story short - we had to get a dollar out of ds's wallet! We're counting on the fact that he doesn't know the exact amount he has in there, and of course we will replace the dollar. But sheesh.

We are such loser parents.
#2 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 02:59 AM

no coin jar?

6/9/2005 6/30/2007 10/17/2009 (Ebstein's Anomaly)
#3 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 02:59 AM

Sorry, hopefully he wont notice before you replace it

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#4 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 AM

Aww! Well, he's luck to get a dollar...I got a quarter for each tooth when I was growing up. Inflation???

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#5 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 03:03 AM

That's a whole lot better than forgetting and having to write a note the following night on teeny tiny paper about how (I), the fairy couldn't fly in the rainstorm, and forgetting more than once and having to concoct other pathetic reasons.

:SaHM to 3 *DD* DD2 * DS
#6 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 AM

That takes me back to childhood When I was 5, I wanted one of those doolies that pees on the potty. Santa left me a note explaining that the potty had flown off of his sleigh, and that I could take the box back to the department store the next day to exchange it

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#7 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirada View Post
That's a whole lot better than forgetting and having to write a note the following night on teeny tiny paper about how (I), the fairy couldn't fly in the rainstorm, and forgetting more than once and having to concoct other pathetic reasons.
Ha - this is the second time I almost forgot and had to run around late at night finding a dollar. I am so afraid that I actually will forget, so good tip about the note!

And yes, inflation. I think I always got a quarter, and it was against dh's wishes that we did a dollar.
#8 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
You're in good company. I think this is the third time I have snuck the same silver dollar under her pillow. And then one time I put the $ there but forgot to take the tooth. THAT was a fun one to try to explain first thing in the morning, plus it cost me an extra dollar.
#9 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 03:35 AM

My neighbor told me that her DH forgot to wake up and put the dollar under their DS's pillow. When the boy woke up at 5:30 he came in and woke his mom sobbing that the tooth fairy forgot him and that he thought he had been good. She was angry at her DH and heart broken for her DS. She snuck another dollar and followed her DS back in to his room to double check if the tooth fairy had really come. She threw his covers and the dollar in the air so he could *find* it in the covers. Tears abated, tooth fairy forgiven, her DH, not so lucky .... LOL!!
#10 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexplorers View Post
My neighbor told me that her DH forgot to wake up and put the dollar under their DS's pillow. When the boy woke up at 5:30 he came in and woke his mom sobbing that the tooth fairy forgot him and that he thought he had been good. She was angry at her DH and heart broken for her DS. She snuck another dollar and followed her DS back in to his room to double check if the tooth fairy had really come. She threw his covers and the dollar in the air so he could *find* it in the covers. Tears abated, tooth fairy forgiven, her DH, not so lucky .... LOL!!
LOL. That is cute

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#11 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirada View Post
OMG, I did that too! Only the tooth fairy got caught in a windstorm and had to stop and rest. And I wrote it with my left hand so ds didn't recognize the handwriting :

I tried the "losing it in the covers" thing and ds just thought it was one of his other dollars that he dropped.

AND ds blamed dd because she didn't got to sleep in time! (She WAS up awfully late.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#12 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
awww...that's okay. You could make DH run out to a convenience store, but i actually like your idea better.

dd1 lost her second front tooth today (she's so darn cute, too! ) so the tooth fairy made a drop by our house, too. she leaves golden dollar coins at our house. luckily my stash in my underwear drawer hadn't been depleted or discovered. I really need to replenish it, though. unfortunately, the post offices are taking out their stamp machines which is where I got the first stash to begin with. dd2 is with me all day so not sure how I can go to the bank and ask for a roll of golden dollars w/o her catching on. might be a task for dh. dd1 also likes the tooth fairy to leave her a note. she asks so sweetly, too, "daddy, if you see the tooth fairy will you tell her to leave me a note, too?"

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#13 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 06:40 AM

been in your shoes!!

hid a treat under pillow instead of money since there was no money to be found in the house at all!!!
#14 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 07:51 AM

Well at least it was for a good cause. I took quarters out of my son's piggy bank last week so I could go to the car wash. : I did replace them later with dollar bills though.
#15 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 AM

Think about what a cute story this will be when they're older!

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#16 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 AM

My dad would forget repeatedly, like for 5 nights in a row. Each time we asked why the tooth fairy didn't come get our tooth, he would invent some reason why. One of these epics I especially remember. It happened to my sister: first, she didn't wrap it in tin foil, so the tooth fairy couldn't find it... she didn't use ENOUGH tin foil... She put it dim-side-out, and it needed to be shiny-side out... it needed to be wrapped in tin foil AND put in a paper bag so the tooth fairy could carry it off easier... then, when the tooth fairy finally came, she got not money, but a tin of cookies.

I was really jealous of her tin of cookies.

"If you only knew how many things I want to say and don't, you'd give me some credit."
#17 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 AM

It could have been worse....you could have given him the $20!

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#18 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 AM

Ds has his first loose tooth. I better make sure I have his dollar/coin set aside.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#19 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The Tooth Fairy doesn't always come the first night the tooth is under a pillow. Sometimes she can't come until the 2nd night.

One of DD1's classmates once received $20 from the tooth fairy because her parents were in the same situation you were in. I thought that was over the top and couldn't imagine being able to spare that much money so readily!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#20 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
That takes me back to childhood When I was 5, I wanted one of those doolies that pees on the potty. Santa left me a note explaining that the potty had flown off of his sleigh, and that I could take the box back to the department store the next day to exchange it
: oh that cracked me up. Your poor parents.

Quote:
My dad would forget repeatedly, like for 5 nights in a row. Each time we asked why the tooth fairy didn't come get our tooth, he would invent some reason why. One of these epics I especially remember. It happened to my sister: first, she didn't wrap it in tin foil, so the tooth fairy couldn't find it... she didn't use ENOUGH tin foil... She put it dim-side-out, and it needed to be shiny-side out... it needed to be wrapped in tin foil AND put in a paper bag so the tooth fairy could carry it off easier... then, when the tooth fairy finally came, she got not money, but a tin of cookies.
That one too. how did he get a tin of cookies under the pillow?
#21 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post
(Yes, we do the tooth fairy - it's a long story, and I blame my mother entirely.)
I wonder why you felt the need to explain this. I started a spinoff poll about Tooth Fairy participation.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#22 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 AM

LOL - I think you came up with a good solution.

But why are you apologizing for the tooth fairy coming to your house? Are you assuming that the MDC "stance" on the tooth fairy is that it's a cruel hoax? 'cause we do it here, and I think it's fun and don't believe it will scar my kids in the least.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#23 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM

except the money came from a sibling so I guess we haven't sunk that low
#24 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Jaime View Post
i had to do this for DS1 2 xmas ago. i felt so bad that i could find the one presant he wanted plus we were skint so "santa" wrote him a letter saying taht the elves were so busy they didnt have time to make him is toy and maybe mummy would get it for his birthday. he hasnt asked since but i still feel bad.

my mum also pulled one on my brother as she was skint and told him teh tooth fariy was busy helping santa(it was very close to xmas) and thats why she forgot him

Kiz
#25 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 AM

When DD lost her first one I had to go through her piggy bank for money. I think it's a pretty common practice, if this thread is any indication.
#26 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM

I love the story a friend tells, about her husband playing tooth fairy.

He is a Russian immigrant. He'd heard about the tooth fairy tradition here, and he was entirely willing to go along with it, but didn't really know the ins and outs of it. So, his dd loses her first tooth and as his wife describes it, "my 6'6" Russian tooth fairy left $30 under her pillow." When she found out and told him that was about 6 times too much money for a first tooth (and 30 times too much for a subsequent tooth), his response was to shrug his shoulders and say, in his thick accent, "Who knew?"

I can so totally hear his voice and accent in those words, too - it's that response that really makes me break up!
#27 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 11:59 AM

You should have left him a note: "I wanted to give you a dollar, but I only had a $20. Please put my change back under your pillow and I'll be around tonight to collect it. Thanks, TF"

I thought it was worth sharing that I have an avatar for MSN that says "The tooth fairy teaches children that they can sell their body parts for money" ....thought you might get a kick out of that like I do.

If he does notice it missing; just say you had to borrow it a couple days ago but he was sleeping so you couldn't ask, and you figured he wouldn't mind. Tell him you'll pay him back with interest (and give him an extra 50c) since you took it without asking.

ETA: I will be doing the tooth fairy thing. I looked forward to it as a kid.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#28 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 12:03 PM

I am the world's worst tooth fairy. I have forgotten more times than I care to admit. It was really fun with the first few kids, but by the time our family grew so big, I am so tired at bed time I pass out and forget. Dh started buying the teeth from the kids. He makes an offer, the child counter offers and it goes back and forth for at least 15 minutes. It is quite comical, dh inspecting the tooth, making excuses for a low first offer, etc. They usually get a couple of dollars, but certain special teeth will get more.
#29 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
..."my 6'6" Russian tooth fairy left $30 under her pillow."...
Is this dude taking applications to adopt any kids? And if so, where do I sign myself up!?

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#30 of 61 Old 05-20-2008, 12:11 PM

I only have 2 kids for the Tooth Fairy to visit now. About a month ago, DD1 had the last of her baby teeth pulled (they weren't coming out properly and the new teeth were already in and crooked) and I gave her $5 along with her monthly allowance and was very relieved to be done!

In the past 2 weeks, DD2 lost a tooth (I remembered to go put money under her pillow at breakfast time when DS was talking about his loose tooth) and then on Saturday his tooth fell out and he was so excited! It's his first one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page