How is this possible? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did a search this morning for a due date calculator and it brought me to another parenting website. I was plugging in dates when I noticed it said I was logged in as Tricia. I am not Tricia and I do not know a Tricia with a young baby of this age with this picture that is showing up or one that uses the e-mail address listed. I know 2 Tricias; one my BIL's ex gf who has an older child and I have not seen in a couple years and the other my Sister's SIL who lives nowhere near us and has never been to our home. This is my husband's computer and it was brand new as of March. It's never been anywhere but here and my SIL's home where there is also not a Tricia. This computer spends most of it's time in my bedroom or my living room. How on earth could someone we've never met be logged in on our computer?

:
#2 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 PM

Do you have a wireless network?
#3 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 PM

ooh, that is weird. i don't know how it could be, but a theory of mine is that if you are on a wireless connection and the connection is unsecured, then someone in your neighborhood could be picking up a signal from your wireless network and loggin on using your IP address with their computer. just a theory, though.
#4 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, that I do. I better go check out my security. That would also explain why our high speed connection has been rather slow of late?

:
#5 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, we are two mac laptops on an airport wireless network; how do I go about making it more secure?

:
#6 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 12:23 PM

You can add a password to your network so that nobody can get in without the passward.

But hmm...that is still weird. Even if someone was using your network, they wouldn't be logged in on YOUR computer. DH and I both have laptops, and use our wireless network here at home. But I can't see threw my computer what DH is logged into and vise versa. Weird.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#7 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I think i understand what happened. My husband's MAC is running leopard which allows for easy connections between other MACS running leopard on the same network. For some reason his firewall was turned off (i think for an install we did) but never turned back on. I immediately turned it on when I saw that. So why would they use our computer to log in and not their own I don't know but I am working to block that. My laptop does not have leopard and does have it's firewall up; there isn't much on this one other than music so hope nothing has been compromised.

:
#8 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 01:16 PM

I hope not, too.

Maybe Tricia is the only one who got to use it. And maybe she will find MDC. And maybe she will find lots of interesting subjects to talk about, or things she didn't know.

Pollyanna.
#9 of 9 Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

You can pick up a connection from our airport from a pretty big distance as I can go out to the back of my yard and still connect. But it's not so huge that I can't find out who it is. There are quite a few young families near us though; I'm quite curious now.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page