Would you ever in a million years.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so horrified I can barely type this out. At 2am this morning(i think, it couldve been the other day I got the story second hand from my mom) my sister woke up to the sounds of a baby crying. She checked on her ds but he was asleep. She looked all around the house and thought it might be coming from outside. She peeked out the window next to her front door and discovered a baby (about a year old I think) sitting on her doorstep crying.

She left the baby outside and called the police.

She said she thought it could be a ploy by robbers to get her to open the door. I dont know how that even occurred to her.

Would you leave the baby outside??

When the police got there, they took the baby and left. I'm not sure if there any details since. That poor baby. I can't imagine why someone would leave a baby on her doorstep. Is the scenario she thought up probable? My mom thinks the baby escaped it's house and wandered off, but is that probable?

**Edited because I think my gut reaction was too harsh***

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

#2 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Banned

OMG. I don't even know what to think! My son is nearly 11 months old, I can't imagine him wandering away in the middle of the night! And she left the baby on the porch! OMG. Just OMG. I would have brought them in the house for sure.
#3 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:32 PM

If I saw a small child/baby on my porch crying, I would open the door and bring the child in. I would not even think about robbers, etc. I mean, I would consider a small child unattended in the middle of the night, in a strange place, crying, to be an emergency. I would have brought him/her in, tried to comfort them while calling the police.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#4 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM

Well it's a hoax but there is a urban legend about a murderer using a tape recorded baby crying to lure people to open the door.

Was your sister alone? I live in the country so I'm too trusting, and I let strangers in to use the phone. But I can see where a person might be scared, call the police and allow them to handle it. Especially when they have their own child in the house.

Imagine somebody did put that baby on the porch on purpose. Your sister opens the door, and something bad happens to her. She didn't just leave the child there and go back to bed. She called the police, and the police took care of it.

She was being cautious, not heartless.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#5 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:36 PM

It is really cruel to judge someone based on how they acted in a very strange situation or an emergency. JMHO.

When things like this occur, first of all we have been conditioned by the media to see bad guys lurking in all of the corners.

Second of all, when she called 911 I would imagine they told her to leave the baby outside.

Third, when bizarre and weird things happen your normal thinking processes shut down. People react in very unexpected ways.
#6 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, its' very likely that the baby escaped his/her crib, got outside, and wandered off. It seems more common to happen to 2yos than 1yos, but we don't know exactly how old that toddler was.

I would have called the police AND opened up the door to comfort the baby. But I don't think she was "wrong" to do what she did- she made sure the baby got safe and she still kept herself safe from what she perceived to be a potentially dangerous situation.

I have never heard of toddlers being placed on doorsteps to let robbers in (how would you keep the baby from toddling over to the robber for comfort anyway?) but I did hear about a serial rapist who used a tape recorder of a baby crying to get victims to open up the door. Personally, I would have felt safe enough to open the door once I'd actually seen the child.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

I feel bad for judging her so harshly. I guess it was just my gut reaction.

#8 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:39 PM

I would've had to open the door. I couldn't see a baby outside crying and not immediately scoop him up. I wouldn't even think twice about it, regardless of how stupid the decision to do it might be.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#9 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I have never heard of toddlers being placed on doorsteps to let robbers in (how would you keep the baby from toddling over to the robber for comfort anyway?) but I did hear about a serial rapist who used a tape recorder of a baby crying to get victims to open up the door. Personally, I would have felt safe enough to open the door once I'd actually seen the child.
I agree, actually seeing the child is key, I think, for me- as far as what I would do. If I did not see the child, I might call 911, then maybe have DH go outside to look if he felt comfortable enough to do that.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#10 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:43 PM

I'd take my baseball bat with me, but I'd open the door and take the baby inside. But I'm one of those people who gets REALLY crazy when a baby is crying. My adrenaline surges so much that I can't concentrate, and I start having panic attacks.

But I can't really blame her for thinking twice about it. It is plausible that someone would use a crying baby to get you to open up. I mean, at least she called the police to try to have it resolved.
#11 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantaja View Post
I would've had to open the door. I couldn't see a baby outside crying and not immediately scoop him up. I wouldn't even think twice about it, regardless of how stupid the decision to do it might be.
Me too. It's just my first reaction to pick up and comfort any child I see crying, and I would probably never have thought of the "robbers" angle. I'm glad the police came and took the poor baby to safety. I hope everything turned out okay for him.
#12 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:49 PM

Such a weird situation and call me a heartless b***h, but I'd have done the same thing as your sister. I've lived in some not so great neighborhoods and altho I'd have kept an eye on the child to make sure that they didn't wander into the street, I'd have had to keep my family safe too.

I wouldn't judge her so harshly. I think her judgement was fine; she did DO something and even if it wasn't *exactly* what you would have done, she still acted with kindness and compassion for the child, while keeping herself and her family safe.

FTR, I'm the first one to run to comfort a crying child at the playground and I've had kids that weren't my own in my arms, looking for their own mothers. I just think that in the situation described, I'd have been very wary.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#13 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not sure what I would've done. If dh was home, yeah--I'd open the door and scoop them up. But if it were just me and my little ones, I'd likely keep my eye on that child every second through the window and get the police there IMMEDIATELY.

Of course, I'm a foster parent--so I'd then ask them to leave the baby with me and send the caseworker to my house! They wouldn't (they have to do a physical exam) but I'd ask!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#14 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 02:52 PM

In my neighborhood, I would have woken my husband, and opened the door and sat down next to the child while he talked to 911. Granted, in my neighborhood, I probably would have known the kid already ;-) but maybe not (not EVERYONE goes to playgroup).

I would not have brought the child inside unless I thought there was a danger of hypothermia or somesuch. I would not have *touched* the child unless I absolutely had to to ensure its safety. I would have kept the child company, talked to him/her in reassuring tones, and if the child decided to touch *me* would have allowed it.

If I don't know how the child got there, maybe the child's parents don't either... and if they find out that their child is in someone else's house, being held by some other adult... uh, could give the wrong impression, you know? So I'd make sure the child was safe, and would comfort as much as I could without touching or moving them, and notify the authorities.
#15 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 03:10 PM

I probably would have scooped that baby up, brought him inside, nursed him and called 911. My mama insticts would have kicked in, and no way would I have thought it was a ploy to rob me. But we live in a nice naighborhood.

I am really curious now how the baby is doing? Where it came from, why it was there, and what happend after the police got him? Poor little baby. And if he did excape from home and wonder off, his poor parents must have been scared to death. (Just one more reason to co-sleep that I will add to my list )

Let us know if you get more info.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#16 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
In my neighborhood, I would have woken my husband, and opened the door and sat down next to the child while he talked to 911. Granted, in my neighborhood, I probably would have known the kid already ;-) but maybe not (not EVERYONE goes to playgroup).

I would not have brought the child inside unless I thought there was a danger of hypothermia or somesuch. I would not have *touched* the child unless I absolutely had to to ensure its safety. I would have kept the child company, talked to him/her in reassuring tones, and if the child decided to touch *me* would have allowed it.

If I don't know how the child got there, maybe the child's parents don't either... and if they find out that their child is in someone else's house, being held by some other adult... uh, could give the wrong impression, you know? So I'd make sure the child was safe, and would comfort as much as I could without touching or moving them, and notify the authorities.
Wow, I would have never even thought of that.

I guess if it was my child, I would want someone to cuddle him/her and comfort them. I guess I would assume if there was any question about how the child got there, it could be resolved fairly easily.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#17 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 03:14 PM

I would have opened the door and grabbed the kid. It does sound really, really weird though.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#18 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 03:16 PM

I know I'm a cynical UAV, so I don't expect anyone else to have this reaction, but my first thought when I read that she found a 1 year old on her doorstep is that some UAV had accused your sister of kidnapping because she took the child in and your poor sister was being blackmailed by some horrible person who would use their child like that.
#19 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

A lot of people have mentioned neighborhood...she lives in a really nice development- does that make a difference?

#20 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 03:22 PM

in my area we have had warnings about people gainig acces like this. scary. but i eouldnt have been able to not open the door. the poor kid. i wish someone had an update!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#21 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 03:23 PM
crl

Interesting what occurrs to different people. I would have grabbed my cell, gone out on the porch, sat next to the child and called 911. I would only have touched the child if s/he was bleeding, went to wander away or crawled into my lap on his/her own. The robber/rapist/murder thing would not have occurred to me. I would have thought about being accused of something related to kidnapping/abusing the child which is why I would not have brought the child inside (unless it was cold/raining) or picked the child up.

Poor thing. I am glad your sister called the police and they came for the child. I hope the child is okay!
#22 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 03:30 PM

Well, in my personal neighborhood, we have a super low crime rate. In fact, I honestly do not know anyone who has been robbed before in my area. (DH was twice as a child, but he grew up in CA, and we now live in WV). I also live on a deadend street, so if a small child was on my porch, and I saw them, I would probably assume it was one of the many children who live on my street- which only has a handful of houses even on it. So I most likely would never think that it would be a "trap", per say. I also would not worry too much about bringing the child in to my house. I guess because I substitute teach, so I have had a ton of background checks, etc, and I do not think that my neighbors would assume the worst about me, because I know them and see them often. Of course that might not apply if this child was not from my neighborhood, but those odds probably are not as good. Unless maybe a car broke down and a child got out that way. But even still, I don't think I would worry about being arrested or accused of doing anything wrong in that case.

DH and I did encounter a situation once at a movie theater where a child was left unattended, and I did NOT pick this child up or try to hold his hand or anything. Because I did not want the parents to flip out. The difference here is mainly location. A 2 years or under child walking about at 2 AM is different from a child in a movie theater, I am just thinking about the potential for a car to hit the child, or a dog/cat/racoon to hurt the child, etc. (DH watched that child from a distance to make sure he was safe while I found the manager to come take it from there, in case you were curious).

If I lived in a neighborhood that had a high crime rate, then my feelings might be totally different. If I did not know my neighbors, my feelings might be totally different.

#23 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerama View Post
She left the baby outside and called the police.

She said she thought it could be a ploy by robbers to get her to open the door. I dont know how that even occurred to her.

Would you leave the baby outside??

**Edited because I think my gut reaction was too harsh***
I know how it occurred to her because I think like that. Where I lived before there were reports of a women late at night on the side of the road looking for a ride, someone stopped and out ran some guys towards the car. A 1 year old outside my doorstep so late at night would make me suspecious of something. Good thing I have a DH and I 'would get 'weapons' with me just to open the door. Who knows I might have done the same she did, depending on who was home w/ me.
#24 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 03:39 PM

Actually, I think I might have done just as your sister did. It would all be circumstantial. If I recognized the baby, of course I'd take them in and call the parents. If the weather was horrible, I'd do the same. If good weather, not completely hysterical baby, and one I hadn't seen before... I think I'd call the police and watch the baby to see he/she didn't wander off. It's too weird a scenario for me. In another place though, like camping, I would figure the child wandered off from their campsite, and would wake other tents to find out where the child belonged. I wouldn't bring them in my tent though, that would just terrify the parents when they awoke. I'd wake up the next site, ask them to find the ranger/notify the office depending on the type of campground, and look for the parents.

My 4 year old, when she was 3, got on the elevator by herself and the doors shut. I would have been unhappy had anyone taken her into their apartment, honestly. I was thankful that the woman who got on next, who didn't know my daughter, asked her what floor she lived on and DD knew, so the woman pushed the floor number for her. (I was waiting there) If she'd been younger/didn't know her floor, I'd want them to take her to the lobby. (where the doormen know DD and DH went there to wait/get help).

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#25 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 06:01 PM

well that robber would have had me. im sure i would have opened the door b4 even seeing the baby. my husband tells me all the time that i will be killed some day - but hey i will have died doing what i feel is right

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#26 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
well that robber would have had me. im sure i would have opened the door b4 even seeing the baby. my husband tells me all the time that i will be killed some day - but hey i will have died doing what i feel is right
:

I live in a questionable neighborhood and still would have gone out to the child.
#27 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaB21 View Post
I probably would have scooped that baby up, brought him inside, nursed him and called 911. My mama insticts would have kicked in, and no way would I have thought it was a ploy to rob me. But we live in a nice naighborhood.

I am really curious now how the baby is doing? Where it came from, why it was there, and what happend after the police got him? Poor little baby. And if he did excape from home and wonder off, his poor parents must have been scared to death. (Just one more reason to co-sleep that I will add to my list )

Let us know if you get more info.

:
I doubt we'll ever know what really happened, but it sure would be nice to!
#28 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 07:25 PM

Toddlers getting out of their houses, even in the middle of the night, is not unheard of. My son has managed to unlock our front door and just waltz outside. Fortunately, I heard the lock click and ran after him. The house we're buying in 2 weeks is going to have better locks on the doors.

Reneé, 33 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 nocirc.gif and Arianna 9/06 gd.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 blowkiss.gif.  TTC a little rainbow rainbow1284.gifchartnew.gif http://www.FertilityFriend.com/home/4e4ac9 Currently in the 2WW 
#29 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 07:36 PM

i read this thread hoping for an update! That's an odd situation so I'm not really sure what I would have done in the moment, but I probably would have woken up DH (like screamed- OMG there's a baby on our doorstep) and then gone outside and sat w/ the baby, and expected DH to come down and call 911. I have a problem w/ leaving children unattended. If I was alone, I probably first would have grabbed my own son and my cell phone, gone outside, and called 911 while I was with the child.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it was a ploy for robbers or any kind of criminal activity, because I would think that *they* wouldn't want the police anywhere around while they committed some kind of crime, and for most people, seeing a child crying unattended at 2 am is a pretty surefire way to get the police involved by itself. If I was outside w/ the child, I wouldn't be so worried about my house being broken into because the police would be on their way. Also, if someone's using a child as an accomplice to crimes, I'm more worried about that child than I am about my own material possesions....

but that's just me.
#30 of 131 Old 05-27-2008, 07:45 PM

If I were home w/o DH (he's away with army often) I probably would have called the police first and THEN gotten the baby. If DH were home, I would have had him call the police while I got the baby.

Sorry...my first reaction as I was reading was "kidnapping accusation".

Obviously, though, if I recognized the child as my neighbor's toddler or something, I'd get the child and call the parents/bring the child back. I assume your sister didn't recognize the child...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page