ATM/banking question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not having had a bank account for a half a bajillion years or so I am a tad clueless on bank stuff. So I have a question:

There are limits on how much you can draw out of the ATM at once, right? How about a daily limit? Can you just hit up another ATM?

Long story, it's late, I should be sleeping lol :

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#2 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Usually the limit is $500 a day. You can't hit up another bank because they are usually on the same network. However, there are private atms that you might be able to withdraw more money, but it's not likely. it's a safety measure in case someone steals your cards.

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#3 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 08:38 AM

Sometimes your bank will allow you to change the daily limit either up or down. I don't know if all banks allow this though so you'd have to call and talk to a human to find out.

Mom to (5) (9)
#4 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Banned

ATMs usually have a daily limit of 500 dollars, but if you need more you just go into the bank
#5 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 10:38 AM

Mine has a daily limit of $300, but I can change it by going into the bank and asking. Also, the limit doesn't apply to using my card as a Visa card.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#6 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 AM

We have a $300 daily limit at the ATM.
I think the main purpose is that if someone stole your atm card and got your pin they couldn't just clean out your account in 2 minutes.

Nothing stops us from physically going into the bank and withdrawing any amount we want.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#7 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Also, a "day" is a working day, so if you withdraw your maximum on Friday after 3PM (or whatever close-of-business is for your bank) you might not be able to get more until Monday.
#8 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantufla View Post
Also, a "day" is a working day, so if you withdraw your maximum on Friday after 3PM (or whatever close-of-business is for your bank) you might not be able to get more until Monday.
______

Never heard that before ? Not in our area -- you can take out your limit 365 days a year
#9 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I hate banking. Blech. Went years without an account and now, well... lots of crap with Dh's job, he needs one, etc. I'd just as soon pass, but I whatever.

Anyway, I haven't been added to his account yet. It's not a huge deal, we just haven't had time because he got the thing and then had to promptly head out for another 2 weeks. I'll be added her shortly, but in the meantime I can't go into the bank and withdraw. I do have his card though, and I need to get some things done so I was just wondering what the ATM limit is.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#10 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 03:16 PM

Mine only lets me withdraw $300 at a time, but I can immediately withdraw another $300 as a separate transaction. Works for me, but pretty much makes the "safety" feature of it pretty non-existent.
#11 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 03:19 PM

I can only withdraw $300 a day, including cash back with purchases but not including just debit card purchases and my bank will not change the daily limit.
#12 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 03:24 PM

ours started at 600 but they sent a letter saying we had a 2500 daily withdrawl limit this year, so check the bank to see what the new account limit is as it differs.
#13 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 03:32 PM

We have two separate limits... a relatively low one (like $500) for ATM withdrawals, and a higher one (I think $5,000) for POS (point-of-sale) transactions. Those are ones where you go to the store and choose "Debit" for your transaction.

What that means is, if for some reason we need to withdraw more than the ATM limit, we go to the supermarket and get cash back.

Our bank has different types of accounts; our original account had maxes of like $300 and $600, so we upgraded (didn't change much besides the color of our ATM card and those numbers).
#14 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

So it turns out the limit was 400 lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page