Anyone remember L'hotel Chat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Back in 1996, that was my first experience in a chat room. I became pretty hooked. In a nostalgic moment, I wondered if there was anyone else who used to be a chatter there. I was in the Couplet most of the time. I was addicted. Mostly to the people in it. It became home for me for several months. Sometimes I think of the people from there and miss them. The chat room closed down in 2000 and I had no idea. One day I went to chat and found it gone. Friends scattered in the wind really..

Chat rooms are nothing like they used to be back then. Almost like watching D&D tabletop gamers becomming more and more rare, while Xbox's and PS3's are selling out... chat rooms just don't feel the same to me now. I'm quite sure a lot of it is that I've grown up. Some of it because times change and evolve. I have four kids. I don't have time for chat rooms anymore.. LOL Still.. at times I miss that one.

Do you remember L'hotel?
If not, what was your first online experience? Do you have good memories of it?

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh man, I seriously remember it and I miss it!! It had so many rooms. I was only 15 when I used to chat there! That was one awesome chat room though. I agree that chat rooms are so much different. I think they suck these days and there doesn't seem to be that many.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#3 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Banned

I remember!! I was probably aged 10 to 12 when I chatted there!
I chatted at a few other online places but can't remember the names...
From there I went to BBS to chat and from BBS's I went to mIRC...
I used to chat on ICQ a lot too

I loved me some chat rooms when I was younger... What I didn't like was the million times I was asked "Wanna cyber...?"
#4 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggysmama View Post
I remember!! I was probably aged 10 to 12 when I chatted there!
I chatted at a few other online places but can't remember the names...
From there I went to BBS to chat and from BBS's I went to mIRC...
I used to chat on ICQ a lot too

I loved me some chat rooms when I was younger... What I didn't like was the million times I was asked "Wanna cyber...?"
Cybering. Man, those were the days!

Seriously though chatting was all about sex so I'm disturbed at how young I was chatting with these creeps. (Well just assuming they're creeps I suppose. Who knows for sure is my point.)

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#5 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! I'm not the only one!

Even though my "friends" are long gone, and i don't know anyone anymore.. I still have mIRC installed on my computer. Lame huh?

Googling L'hotel doesn't bring up too much. But the wayback machine lets you look at it. Unfortunately for me it was after they did their changes, so it doesn't look like the chat room I knew.. but still.

Wow. Times change.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#6 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post
Cybering. Man, those were the days!

Seriously though chatting was all about sex so I'm disturbed at how young I was chatting with these creeps. (Well just assuming they're creeps I suppose. Who knows for sure is my point.)
Heheh for sure. Who knows if they were creeps... they were probably just other 12 year olds!!!
#7 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to hang on MSChat in a room called #witches

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#8 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 02:45 AM

I never did chat a whole lot. I spent some serious time on the MSN Gaming Zone around 1997-1998, and made some friends there (one I actually met in person; she lived in Finland, and even came to our wedding!) but that wasn't mainly a chat room.

I still clearly remember the first time I ever saw the web. My then-boyfriend (now ex-husband and friend) said, "Hey, check this out!" and launched Mosaic. But we didn't look at it for long, because his computer (a 286) didn't run Windows very well.

I do remember one time in college when I was connected via telnet to the Program in Computing lab to work on a project for my class, and I got a random chat request from another user. He was a CS major, and wondered what PIC students do. ;-) The classes were basically programming for non-CS majors. I told him what the project I was working on required, and he was impressed; they didn't get to object-oriented stuff until at least the second year apparently.
#9 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 03:25 AM

OH MY GOODNESS YES I DO...

I totally went there, I totally remember that. HA!

I was 15/16.
#10 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 AM

my roomate in colledge invited some dude from canada that she met on there to come stay with us for an unspecified amount of time that endedup being way too long.............
#11 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 03:44 AM

Ahhhh...the days of chat and D&D...I loved both!

My name was clovergirl...in green font...

The whole cybering thing creeps me out now, too...seeing things like "To Catch a Predator" and stuff like that...makes me wonder how many of those guys were just harmless horny teens, or freakish adults...

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#12 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 03:50 AM
Banned

ooooh I remember what my nick was!! Zodiac13 (i thought it was soooooo edgy) hehehe
#13 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 06:18 AM

Does anyone remember the old GeoCities Chat, by any chance??
#14 of 15 Old 06-01-2008, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

My L'hotel chat name was actually my very first username ever. I tried to make "Ivy" was someone already had it. So instead I made "Ivey." While in the Couplet, we roleplayed a lot. Camelot type roleplay. Eventually I was invited to be on the court and in their "Roundtable." They renamed me "Lady Ivey" and it stuck.

Eventually I made my Yahoo username lady_ivey, and made a website at Geocities. (that is largely broken but still there.) And 14 years later, its still the name I used the most. Even though I'm in no contact with any of the people that gave me that name. I did however name my daughter Ivy.

My first look at the internet was in college. We were poor and didn't have money for a computer at home. And my aunt was one of those people that didn't think it was important at all. Once in college, I found the computer room and I was just so much in awe. I still am! LOL The feeling I get when I can Google something and find an answer right there.. still indescribable.

The social aspect isn't as glittering as it once was for me. I got burned in L'hotel by a guy I fell in love with. My first internet romance. Turns out he was romancing every single one of us in the chat room. About 30 girls. And we found out about each other and he was never seen again. I still think about that situation often though. It was a learning experience for sure.

#15 of 15 Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM

I remember this chat room, I met some really interesting people. I also went there one day to find out that it no longer existed, it really sucks because a lot has happened in my life and I just cannot find a chat room that measures up to that one. Every time I find something remotely close, I get a gaggle of people who want to show me things that I definitely do not want to see or talk about. It's depressing that this chat room is no longer around, I could really use someone to talk to. I lost my mom to cancer in 2004, my cousin who was like a sister and best friend to me died in 2006, and well even though I am married and have a kid I do not really have anyone my age to talk to. My daughter will be in 8th grade this year and my husband has his own business, so he is really busy and before I know it, our daughter will be graduated and off doing whatever. I really need someone to talk to. So if anyone is interested me, please message me.

User Tag List