My first "famous person" encounter - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 76 Old 06-13-2008, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
We have listened NONSTOP to their new kids CD, Snacktime... I love them, I do... thank goodness a band as good as them makes kids music, b/c DD gets obsessed. But man I'm getting sick of them, too!
"what a good boy" was my wedding song, lol

also, i will always love their cover of "lovers in a dangerous time".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 76 Old 06-13-2008, 03:43 PM

hoo boy...

hung out with christian death (love rozz williams-he's dead, now)
sonic youth,
jesus lizard (lead singer was a great guy)
interviewed/partied with front 242, puked all over rhys fulber
interviewed alien sex fiend-mrs. fiend was awesome.
fugazi-ian mckay was the nicest guy
pre-fame deftones when chino was shy
hung out with sugar ray before they sold out
chris connelly-got a few kisses out of him and cops tried to get me to file charges against him for indecent exposure but I wouldn't do it.
pigface
Ogre-skinny puppy-toured with them
dredg
PM of Israel Ariel Sharon
otto van shirak
Ina Mae Gaskin
circled and hung out with Starhawk
The ciceros(writer)
Al beilek (writer)
kirk white(writer)
Lon Milo Duquette(writer)
Aaron Leitch (writer)
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.
Dh is a rigger and yesterday was putting in a show for pearl jam and eddie Vedder walked right by him. Dh has met and seen more famous people than I could imagine.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#63 of 76 Old 06-13-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
We live in an area with a bunch of anti hollywood celebs...I have seen a ton of them! My 3 most memorable encounters were:

Having a milkshake with Paul Newman at Dutchess
Knocking Robert Vaugn on his butt in a snowstorm
Having Christopher Plummer drop trou for me in the post office!

I've also met Keith Richards (Rolling Stones), Woody Allen, Neil Sedaka (what an As*h*le!), David and James Naughton, James Nobel (Benson).

I made glasses for Harvey Fierstein and most of the cast members for the Soap Operas that tape in NY.

I feel so jaded!!
ok so out with the christopher plummer story!!!!

#64 of 76 Old 06-13-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia View Post
ok so out with the christopher plummer story!!!!

Okay...I was at the Georgetown post office, dropping off a bunch of Ebay packages and this man who looked a bit familiar held the door for me...

I was in front of him in line and he was admiring the tattoo on my back. We started discussing tattoos and he told me he had one on his hip of a dragon ..did I want to see it? Before I could even respond, he exposed himself (just his hip really!

As I was paying for my packages, he was at the next customer service rep and I heard her say "thank you Mr. Plummer". That was when I realized why he looked so familiar!

So, now I get to tell people that Christopher Plummer dropped Trou for me at the post office!

He was lovely BTW, the tattoo, not so much!

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#65 of 76 Old 06-13-2008, 07:14 PM

I grew up in a little tiny town in upstate NY, but it was PACKED with celebrities (I think because no one really cared there... It was a small but affluent and artsy place easily commutable to NYC but far enough away that it was totally NOT suburbia and so they quickly became "one of the folks" and one one paid them much mind).

I used to play pool with Natalie Merchant (she would chaperone the local teen hang out room... How funny is that? She sang at our prom. We had the original "These are the Days" sung to us ). She was often hanging out with Michael Stipe and they'd go bowling with us. Bowling!

Julia Roberts would visit her brother Eric Roberts frequently who lived in town. It was so small town: "Eric.... saw your sister came by. Howshedoin?" My friend used to babysit for Emma, as they were neighbors. It was kind of a weird babysitting circle for her, as she herself was babysat by The Beastie Boys (she grew up in Brooklyn). How funny would it be to say that the Beastie Boys changed your diapers? Well, she can .

A whole bunch of others would hang out on the weekends... I forget now. See? No one really cared.

We would also hang out in Woodstock frequently (the original Woodstock in NY) which still has tons of recording studios and stuff and is very artsy and easily commutable to NYC and so we would often run into Bob Dylan, Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, etc.

It was a strange little place... It was kind of a crazy little Hollywood, but no one ever cared. I mean, no bodyguards, no paparazzi, folks just reading the paper, drinking coffee with the locals and swimming at the town pool (for real... the town pool. Let me tell you- the town pool really equalizes everyone).

Another friends father was an artist for the New Yorker. He's call me up and say stuff like "Hey! There's a TV crew at my house! Wanna see if we can get on TV?" And we'd spend the afternoon trying to be in the far distance- not too close that they'd kick us out, but close enough we could find ourselves when it aired. I'm sure we were so annyoing. That friend grew up to be a performer on Broadway in STOMP.

I guess it kind of made me a bit jaded about all of it, as out of the "glamorous" context, they really are just people.
#66 of 76 Old 06-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine1001 View Post
I'm related to William Shatner (by marriage...his current wife is my aunt...Elizabeth Anderson).

So have you met him? What is he like?

(yeah, I'm a trekkie. : )
#67 of 76 Old 06-13-2008, 09:39 PM

My stepsister ran into Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz at Los Reyes, a mexican restaurant in Millington like less than a mile from my dad's old house.

I've met Emmitt Smith on numerous occasions (he went to my high school, but not while I was there, obviously, I graduated in 05). I actually filmed his press conference when he announced his retirement.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#68 of 76 Old 06-13-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Okay...I was at the Georgetown post office, dropping off a bunch of Ebay packages and this man who looked a bit familiar held the door for me...

I was in front of him in line and he was admiring the tattoo on my back. We started discussing tattoos and he told me he had one on his hip of a dragon ..did I want to see it? Before I could even respond, he exposed himself (just his hip really!

As I was paying for my packages, he was at the next customer service rep and I heard her say "thank you Mr. Plummer". That was when I realized why he looked so familiar!

So, now I get to tell people that Christopher Plummer dropped Trou for me at the post office!

He was lovely BTW, the tattoo, not so much!
That's so cool! I totally dig christopher plummer...

#69 of 76 Old 06-14-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia View Post
Ina Mae Gaskin
Me too, me too! She stayed on my floor at the LLLI Conf in Chicago last summer and we shared an elevator several times

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#70 of 76 Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 PM

I don't know why I didn't think of this 'til now.. but I went to jr. high and high school with Jesse Metcalfe. We were in the same art class.

And.. Josh Hartnett is like a .. second cousin? But that doesn't really count since I've never met him. When I got married I was thrilled to change my last name

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#71 of 76 Old 06-15-2008, 12:30 AM

I met Claudia Schiffer about 15 years ago at an AIDS benefit. I was volunteering and she took the time to meet EVERY volunteer there. I thought that was very classy.

I met Jack Kevorkian (Dr. Death) at the movies, about 17 years ago. It was "The Birdcage," in case you are curious.

Just recently I ran into Robert Parrish (Celtics, 80s-90s) at Costco. My kids were amazed that he was so tall. He was very nice.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#72 of 76 Old 06-15-2008, 10:36 PM

My mom met Gavin Rossdale when she was in DC. It was when he and Gwen were just dating, I think. Anyway, she said he was really sweet. I had a HUGE crush on him at the time!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#73 of 76 Old 06-16-2008, 03:22 PM

Bump.
#74 of 76 Old 06-16-2008, 04:44 PM

Well, since you bumped it ...

Long-ago-longterm-BF (like 10 years of my life, through my 20s), his brother is an actor who was in "Independence Day" and "Heathers" and is now a director. And his girlfriend was one of the daughters in the old '80s TV show "Too Close for Comfort." (This relationship was during the '80s, so what can I tell ya'. )

Had David Byrne (of the Talking Heads) spill a drink on me once ... was in a bar and boyfriend-at-the-time says, "Don't look now, but that's David Byrne right behind you!" So real-cool-me I jump around real fast and shout, "David Byrne? Where?" and slam myself right into Mr. Byrne's drink. Smooth, I know.

Sent some drunken frat-boys chasing Lou Reed once, but that's a whole 'nother story ...

Aformentioned former BF was a lobbyist, so through him ... he was phone-friendly with Tim Russert (RIP ) and various and sundry wonky folks. Distant connection from him to Al Gore, but we'll leave that one out, since said ex-BF is now a card-carrying Republican, so I'm told.

Would regularly stay in the same hotels as the Grateful Dead when we did tour. (Um, this is when Jerry was alive.) With the lobbyist boyfriend. Had this amazing thing where we insisted on staying at the best hotels around for tour ... we were both well paid and had absolutely no reason to save our money beyond tour, so this was our extravagance.

His cousin, BTW, who we went to many Dead shows with, had relationships with both Bob Weir and Armand Assante. No, not simultaneously.

I once witnessed a car accident on Broadway when I lived on the Upper West Side (in NY, NY), and sat on the traffic island with the poor woman's baby (right after the collision she grabbed her babe-in-carseat out of the car and put her down on the bench in the middle of the island, and was about to leave her there alone to deal with her car and the other driver ... I was there with my baby, so we stayed to watch her baby for her.) Anyway, point of all this is that Patrick Stewart was crossing the same corner at the same time, witnessed the same accident, and hung around on the traffic island for a little while, too. Not that he actually talked to anyone but his companion (woman, petite, blond ... /gossip) but it was kind of neat to be in his orbit for a few. Yes, pun intended.

Living in NYC (the East Village and the Upper West Side) means automatically you'll have lots of run-ins with folks in the entertainment world, etc. It's just part of life. Seeing them hailing cabs (Jamie Lee Curtis on West End Avenue) or walking up the street (Ah-nold Schwarzenegger before he was the Governator on Madison Avenue) or in the audience in a movie theater (Kevin Kline and Phoebe Cates).

I rode on a train from NYC to Albany in the next row of seats from Al Franken and his wife and another couple. And he did not shut up for one second that entire trip. None of the rest of 'em got a word in edgewise. Can you imagine that voice for 2.5 hours? Enjoy his politics, hate his voice.

Oh, and my DH got stoned with the Roach sisters 20-plus years ago ...

For a few years I went to the same gym (and worked out at the same time every day) as Gabrielle Reece (model/volleyball player). She did sweat. And yes, she did wipe off the machines. Was told there were other folks of a "famous" bent there later in the day, but we were the 5:30 a.m. or so workout folks ...

Madonna lived on our corner when we were on the UWS. Saw her rarely. You knew when she was there, though, because the paparazzi would be out by the gate (and across the street hanging around the Ethical Culture building) for days.

When I was still working in the courts (as a court reporter) I worked a trial with William Kunstler (RIP) and Ron Kuby. That was entertaining. Mr. Kunstler was, BTW, an absolute gentleman. Kuby was a pitbull.

My uncle was John Popper's driver for a while. He even dedicated one of Blues Travelers' albums to my cousin (unc's daughter).

And last but not least, Matisyahu was a Shabbos (Sabbath) guest at our house (back when he was still "Matthew") and we davened (prayed) regularly at the same shul (synagogue) on the Upper West Side, and now, well, we were at the same shul with him last Rosh HaShana in Jerusalem ...

Man, name-dropping is fun.
#75 of 76 Old 06-16-2008, 05:47 PM

When I was living in RI, I worked at Bed, Bath & Beyond. A customer came through my line and she looked vaguely familiar. After she left, I grabbed the credit card receipts, and discovered she was Natalie Cigliuti, from Saved By The Bell: The New Class.

I met Lu Hanessian (author of Let The Baby Drive, and host of "Make Room For Baby") at the LLL conference in NJ, she had spoken and then was signing copies of her book.

Several years ago, a movie called "Osmosis Jones" came out, it was part animated, part live-action. Bill Murray was the live-action star. The house he lived in in the movie was my grandparents' house. I was away at college, so I did not meet him, but my grandmother did. He's a world class @**hole. He posed for a pic with my gram and just as the camera clicked, he lifted up her shirt. He's disgusting.

I've never seen him, but Steve Tyler from Aerosmith supposedly owns property around this area, and several of my classmates in high school had seen him at the mall on occasion.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#76 of 76 Old 06-16-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skai View Post

So have you met him? What is he like?

(yeah, I'm a trekkie. : )
He's crazy nice...you'd never know he was a celebrity! Just a really nice, down-to-earth guy. He has his own horse ranch, and my aunt is a horse trainer...that's how they met. Part of my family (not me!) was actually at the wedding in Indiana, and my uncle did the only wedding videos. They actually visit once or twice a year down here in the Sarasota area...they go out and hear my uncle's band play, etc...very "normal" stuff.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page