Sophie is dead!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in complete shock!

Yesterday she went outside to go potty and do her daily lounging on the front walkway. I called her in in the afternoon, but she didn't come. This is typical for her..she loves exploring outside and just being free(her previous owners kept her inside and wouldn't let her out). So since she has been with us, about 2 months, she has gone out a few times a day and comes back usually in the evenings or if we have gone for a drive, she will come running to us when she hears the car. Anyway, she was always around us if we were outside or if she was inside. Loved being with us.

So, this morning I called her a few times, and nothing. Then I thought, well, maybe she is out back in the bushes(there are tall trees and overgrown bushes at the back of our property. So as I am walking to the kitchen door that leads to our backyard, I'm thinking, "ya know she probably is dead and laying in the backyard. Why do I always have to be the one to find dead animals?" And guess what? I open the door, and about halfway to the back I see Sophie laying on the grass. She looks like she is just lounging, but it has rained and I doubt she would lounge on wet grass. I still can't believe it. And now I am feeling super guilty. What if she were alive yesterday or evening last night, but was just injured?

I'm going to wrap her in some pretty fabric and bury her in the front under our trr that she liked to hang out under. I don't see any obvious fight or attack wounds. Her eyes are open though.

UGH!! I bet she was hearing me and couldn't respond. DAMN IT!!!

Sorry..it just hit me...she was such a sweet kitty. DANG DANG DANG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 10:29 AM

Oh Potty Diva, I am so terribly sorry for your loss. That is so sad.
#3 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 10:34 AM

I am so sorry that happened and that you had to find her. Try to be gentle with yourself and try not to blame yourself...you really don't know what happened and whatever it did happen was not your fault... You did the best you could and made her last few months here happy and comfortable. She couldn't have asked for a more loving family to be with. I have had to tend to many pet deaths and it is never easy, but you will heal and hopefully the loving memories of your time together will overshadow the circumstances of her passing.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#4 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 11:26 AM

I lost a dear cat last year. It really hurts. We only had her one year. I had dreams abt her for months! So sad for your loss. Esp as it was so unexpected and myterious, as mine was too.

Now I have a new kitten named Sophie! Named after the goddess.
#5 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 01:22 PM

Oh Teresa I know how you must be feeling. We just had to put our 15 year old cat to sleep and it was heartwrenching. He was also an indoor/outdoor cat and during his last few weeks and I fully expected to find him as you did. I am so sorry for your loss.

We also buried him in his favorite spot. Our vet did make one strong suggestion regarding this. Please don't think I'm being insensitive but you should wrap her in plastic and make sure to go deep. We placed our cat in a nice muslin "shroud" and then wrapped him in plastic. My husband dug a good three foot hole.

Don't feel guilty. Sounds like she was much loved and it was just her time to go.

KT : - Smitten mama to J & M : Looking for a local group in SEPA? - See my homepage!
#6 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Kathies~ Thank you, and you were being insensitive at all. I have wrapped her in think plastic sheeting that we had, and Mark is going to bury her this evening. I wasn't aware of how deep to make the hole, so thank you for that tip

Of course now I am thinking back over her behavior and if there were any signs, and I think there were. For the last 4-5 days she seemed anxious and wanted to go outside more than usual, in fact would cry at the door wanting to go out, even at 6 am. She would run around the house as if trying to get some energy out.

I'm thinking maybe she 'knew' she was going to die soon, and wanted to make sure she was out of the house?

Thank you all for the kind replies here. I'm trtying not to be to down about it, but it's kind of hard when she's not here to jump on on the computer or slide across the table knocking the linens off
#7 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 02:36 PM

It's never easy losing a pet. RIP Sophie.
#8 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 02:41 PM

((Hugs))

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm a cat person myself, and I know how much it hurts.
#9 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 02:46 PM
dlb

Location: between the silence of the mountains, and the crashing of the sea....
So sorry Theresa. My son's favorite kitty got hit by a car last summer, and it still tears my guts out to think of it.

Take it easy on yourself. It's not your fault. She was a free kitty, and her later times with you were worth everything.

Love to you,

DeAnna
#10 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sorry you lost your kitty. I know how very sad that is. Giving your cat a proper burial with a little ceremony might make you feel better.

My beloved cat died after he was hit by a car, maybe 4 years ago. He didn't deserve it, he wasn't old enough. He was such a great hunter for such a little kitty! He brought me regular gifts of dead rats, moles, birds, frogs and a huge dragon fly one day. He chased a squirrel near as big as he was into the house once. Nearly killed it befor dh cornerd the squirrel and took it back out. And in perhaps his biggest attempt, he actually stalked a full grown wild tom turkey. His hunting prowess knew no bounds. I don't think he understood he was a domestic cat. He thought he was a wild big cat.

Now he's in kitty heaven where he can hunt critters to his heart's content. Though that does present a theological/ethical dilemma. :

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#11 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 09:42 PM

Location: Chester County, PA, but I'd rather run free amongst the sheep

I am so sorry for your loss! I've lost two cats (well, mine when I still lived with my parents) in the past three years, and it's never easy.

Know that she loved you, and her time with you was spent happily.
#12 of 16 Old 10-10-2003, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(((((((Potty Diva)))))))

I still sometimes miss my Amalasand, who died in '86.

You gave her a loving home, what more could any kitty wish for?

"What will you do once you know?"
#13 of 16 Old 10-11-2003, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Awwww, I'm so sorry.
#14 of 16 Old 10-11-2003, 12:35 AM

Im so sorry
#15 of 16 Old 10-11-2003, 12:43 AM

Teresa, I'm so sorry for your loss . I'm also a cat person and know this is hard. Don't blame yourself, it could happen because of thousands of reasons, it just was her time to go.
Just remember that she was so happy with you .
#16 of 16 Old 10-11-2003, 11:34 AM

Theresa. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page