Starbucks Frappacino may be habit forming - Mothering Forums

#1 of 22 Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so not a Starbucks girl . . . the high cost, the muscling out of the mom & pops, the whole fancy schmancy attitude. Just give me a travel mug from home and I'm quite happy, thanks. But a parent of one of my students gave me a gift card and I was pretty thirsty . . . .

Damn! It was like dessert through a straw. Carmel mocha frappacino. Decadent . . . but over $5.00.

Anybody know how to recreate this little habit-maker at home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 06-18-2008, 09:39 PM

Break me off a piece of green tea frappacino no whipped cream!! It's a summer thing. We actually went in the day after they stopped serving for the season and when the girl said they didn't have any I got so mad we left.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#3 of 22 Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 PM

We make our own and they are pretty good! We make coffee, sweeten it and freeze it to a thick slush. Then add vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup (caramel I guess if you like) and blend. So yummy!

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)

#4 of 22 Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 PM

Go look at the nutritional information on their website. That will cure you of your love for Frappucinos. I will admit that I do love them but I only get maybe 2 a year.

Me, I'm a nonfat latte person. Approximately 120 calories and no fat. Sometimes I'll get a nonfat misto with foam but that has more caffeine.
#5 of 22 Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 PM

Holy Smokes, a Vanilla Bean Frappacino is to die for. I get one a couple times a year max, but I delight in every single second of it. It is the single most delicious beverage I have ever sipped!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#6 of 22 Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
Holy Smokes, a Vanilla Bean Frappacino is to die for. I get one a couple times a year max, but I delight in every single second of it. It is the single most delicious beverage I have ever sipped!
Me too. I literally orgasm while drinking mine.
#7 of 22 Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 PM

I get an iced grande half caf soy no whip mocha every.single.day....i crave it, i'm addicted, i buy it!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#8 of 22 Old 06-18-2008, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Caramel Frappacino for me. I flat out refuse to look at what is in it. It would be like the day I found out there was no Santa!

I only have one like once a quarter. I don't actually "do" coffee or dairy. lol
#9 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 AM

I am totally addicted to getting a bottled Frappuccino when I'm grocery shopping. Sugar, caffeine, and yum. And yes, I drink it before paying for it Anyway, last time I hit the ShopRite, they didn't have any in the cooler, so I bought a whole 4 pack, and I'm now looking at the ingredients on the package (this is Mocha flavor):
"Brewed Starbucks coffee (water, coffee), reduced fat milk, sugar, cocoa, pectin, ascorbic acid."
Doesn't sound too complicated, does it?
#10 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 AM

IMO the bottled frap is nothing like the freshly blended one from the store. I don't even know why they call the bottled one a frap - it's really just coffee with milk and sugar.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#11 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen95 View Post
I am totally addicted to getting a bottled Frappuccino when I'm grocery shopping. Sugar, caffeine, and yum. And yes, I drink it before paying for it Anyway, last time I hit the ShopRite, they didn't have any in the cooler, so I bought a whole 4 pack, and I'm now looking at the ingredients on the package (this is Mocha flavor):
"Brewed Starbucks coffee (water, coffee), reduced fat milk, sugar, cocoa, pectin, ascorbic acid."
Doesn't sound too complicated, does it?
I do the same thing sometimes!

They are sooooo addicting. I'd love to figure out a way to make them at home.
#12 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Btw, a couple of months ago, I bought a bottled coffee drink from WaWa (our local convenience store), and it was so nasty I threw it away. There were way more ingredients, including such yummy stuff as corn syrup.
#13 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post
We make coffee, sweeten it and freeze it to a thick slush. Then add vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup (caramel I guess if you like) and blend. So yummy!

Sounds like a good start. Experiment #1 begins today.
#14 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Or freeze leftover coffee in ice cube trays, then put in the blender with milk and sweetener. This way you don't have to be sure to "catch it" at just the right time in the freezing process.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#15 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffernhyphen View Post
I am so not a Starbucks girl . . . the high cost, the muscling out of the mom & pops, the whole fancy schmancy attitude. Just give me a travel mug from home and I'm quite happy, thanks. But a parent of one of my students gave me a gift card and I was pretty thirsty . . . .

Damn! It was like dessert through a straw. Carmel mocha frappacino. Decadent . . . but over $5.00.

Anybody know how to recreate this little habit-maker at home?
Keep coffee leftovers if you brew at home, then put in a blender with ice and sugar and milk (to your taste). You can add flavors if you want. Yep, it's pretty much that simple (said former Starbucks employee).
#16 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 02:04 PM

The chocolate mints ones are SO GOOD!!! They even come with chocolate whipped cream : Cures my monthly chocolate craving every time.
#17 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 02:07 PM

i love 'em too, but the ice blendeds at coffee bean are even better (talk about dessert through a straw). however, i think coffee bean only has stores in the southwest.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#18 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davi View Post
The chocolate mints ones are SO GOOD!!! They even come with chocolate whipped cream : Cures my monthly chocolate craving every time.
Yes

I want to try the chai frappuccino.
#19 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 04:54 PM

So, all you do-it-yourself-coffee-mavens, anyone have a recipe for the vanilla frap? Not that I need to make anything with that much fat in it on a regular basis, but it might be fun and a bit less costly! I'm thinking some vanilla extract, cream, sugar and ice would be a start, but I know there has to be more.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#20 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
So, all you do-it-yourself-coffee-mavens, anyone have a recipe for the vanilla frap? Not that I need to make anything with that much fat in it on a regular basis, but it might be fun and a bit less costly! I'm thinking some vanilla extract, cream, sugar and ice would be a start, but I know there has to be more.
You could do that or get vanilla syrup. That's what we used when I worked there. Just make sure you don't add extra sugar, or taste the frap first before adding more. That syrup stuff is really sweet.

I wish I liked these things-I really don't. I guess it's probably because I'm not a big fan of ice in general. I also wish they didn't make them so sweet.
#21 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 05:30 PM

There's no reproducing it and no cure. I stopped buying makeup, jewelry , and first hand clothes to feed my Starbucks habit. At least for me it's a local company- or that's what I tell myself.
#22 of 22 Old 06-19-2008, 05:50 PM

I lost the final 5 when I stopped having fraps. It's gross what's in them!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page