**BREATHE...Just breathe...** UPDATE post 26 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 06-19-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was laying in the bedroom nursing DS#2 down for a nap. DH was also napping (he works the night shift). DS#1 was quietly watching some afternoon cartoons. I drift off to sleep and am awakened by a strange noise. I unlatch the babe and head for the living room. DS is spraying a cardboard box with what looks like a cleaning solution bottle (I don't use conventional cleaners). I run and take it from him...DH had left his crate of car-cleaning supplies on the floor by the front door...DS had sprayed WHEEL AND TIRE CLEANER all over the door, my boxes, the fishtank, DS#2's bouncy seat, MY COMPUTER, the TV and cable box...the list goes on and on. I'm on the desktop right now. My laptop is FRIED. I have a headache and I feel like crying. I have the laptop open and face-down right now, hoping to drain out the cleaner. He was so sweet..."Look, Mommy!! I cleaned these for you!" It's all I can do to just breathe right now...

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#3 of 30 Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Banned

Hmmm...looks like DH is springing for a new laptop
So sorry mama! Are the fish ok?
#4 of 30 Old 06-19-2008, 10:10 PM

: Oh my goodness. The sentiment is sweet. Gotta love a boy who cleans for his Mama. Keep us posted.
#5 of 30 Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 PM

make sure you take the battery out of the laptop too.
#6 of 30 Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Oh, yikes!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#7 of 30 Old 06-19-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine1001 View Post
"Look, Mommy!! I cleaned these for you!"
Oh MAN!! I hate those moments. He was just trying to help and yet, I'm sure you're seething. I've been there and it sucks rocks!! and you can't really be mad at your proud little "helper"

I hope your lap-top is OK.

(DP just called to inform me that DS2 rubbed the sharp edge of a crystal all over our laptop screen - I'll be in your shoes later tonight. Right now, I refuse to even imagine the damage until I get home
#8 of 30 Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 PM

I should not have read this. Fumes are my 'thing'.

I would be SO MAD at my husband. SO MAD

I'd also be super paranoid though, and I'd open every window and door, make dh swear to leave them that way, and take the kids to a hotel for a few nights.

And I'd cry a lot.
#9 of 30 Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 PM

I'd have laid into my DH like stink on crap over that....chemicals never, ever, EVER get left where kids can get at them. Your little guy could have ingested that It's so sweet that he was cleaning for you...I'm sorry it caused so much damage.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#10 of 30 Old 06-19-2008, 11:05 PM

#11 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
make sure you take the battery out of the laptop too.
-------

#12 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 AM

Yikes! I have to say, I remember very proudly washing my mom's car all by myself one time. With Comet cleanser...the abrasive powder! I still remember her going and shepherding my brothers and I into the car to head down to the car wash tout de suite!

I also recall watching one of my neighbor's children de-icing the car next door...with a three-pronged garden claw.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#13 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 12:17 AM

Glad nobody drank any, or got any sprayed in their eyes.
#14 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMama View Post
Yikes! I have to say, I remember very proudly washing my mom's car all by myself one time. With Comet cleanser...the abrasive powder! I still remember her going and shepherding my brothers and I into the car to head down to the car wash tout de suite!

I also recall watching one of my neighbor's children de-icing the car next door...with a three-pronged garden claw.
: My dh helped his parents by painting thier brand new car's bumper brown. :

OP- I hope all turns out okay with your laptop. Glad your little one is okay. :
#15 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 12:46 AM

Ahhhh the good intentions of a toddler.
So sorry about the aftermath. That just sucks.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#16 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I don't know how the computer is because I'm giving it 24 hours to drain and dry...hopefully it survives. I DO know that the screen is very damaged...I can still see images, but just barely. The fish are O.K....I figure if they're going to die from the chemicals, they would have died already. So I'm guessing none go INTO the tank. The TV and cable box also survived. Dude, when I saw what he had, (before I asked him what he washed and realized that he sprayed more than the box) I ran him to the bathroom and told him it was bathtime...scrubbed that boy till he was nearly raw! That stuff is so toxic I can barely stand to use it when we clean the car!!! It was in the 90's and humid here in FL today, but my windows and doors were open. It still smells in the house, though. I'm so thankful my son is O.K.!! And I feel so horrible that he was trying to help when he did all of this damage...truth be known, I let him spray diluted vinegar and use a cloth to clean my sliding glass doors...he could clean those things for hours!! I'm sure he really DID think he was doing me a big favor! Well, thankfully we have this desktop as a backup. I blessed DH out for leaving them in DS's reach...his answer was "He knew better than to get into it...I told him not to when I put the box there." : He really is a good hubby and daddy, but that was NOT one of his shining moments!!

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#17 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMama View Post
OMG!!

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#18 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 01:26 AM

oh no! I'm glad your ds is ok and sorry about everything else.
#19 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 AM

Mmmm, my dh is a great dad and husband but he too had a stupid moment a few weeks back. He was spraying something with windex and my toddler (who gets into eeeeeverything) was there. Dh left the windex within babe's reach and he sprayed it right into his face Luckily, dh was right there, and i called poison control right away. It was just one spray and he was fine, but ooooo, i was upset.

Glad your little guy was okay. Hope your computer recovers!

ETA: i clicked on your thread because it is my senior title

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#20 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 02:09 AM

My toddler peed on my laptop last year. I'm typing on it now.
Leave it open and upside down with the battery out for several days (3-5) before you try to turn it on, or it could fry it.
#21 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 03:04 AM

Quote:
his answer was "He knew better than to get into it...I told him not to when I put the box there." : He really is a good hubby and daddy, but that was NOT one of his shining moments!!

Does he not realize that it is poisonous?

Is that what he would have said if your son was hospitalized?

This is why I don't allow chemicals on the premises. Period. Except for bleach which I do use sometimes for the toilet, and which would never, ever be where a small child could reach it. And bleach can't kill you (according to Poison Control).
#22 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter

He realized it after I mentioned it!! I don't think he was really thinking things thru. He normally keeps everything for his car in a crate on the top shelf of his office closet, totally out of reach. But with us moving and all, in addition to trying to sell the car, he took it down and didn't put it back. After I mentioned what COULD have happened had he sprayed it in his face/eyes or swallowed it, he was very sorry and horrified and sad. He just wasn't thinking.

#23 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
his answer was "He knew better than to get into it...I told him not to when I put the box there." : He really is a good hubby and daddy, but that was NOT one of his shining moments!!
I also have a 7/04 kid. I also have a 13 and 11 year olds that taught me 4 year olds don't do what they are told when left alone with a box full of fun stuff. He's your oldest, you're bound to make mistakes, let this be your husbands that your son is very much still a little boy and needs constant guidance. He can't assume he'll obey just because daddy said so.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#24 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 10:30 AM

sound so much like my dh. he NEVER thinks about what dd could reach and then says that she should know what to touch (although she is only 17 months...duh) this morning she brought me a pair of scissors to the kitchen door that he had left on the edge of the table in the dining room. i was so thankful that she hadnt cut herself or poked her eyes out. its such a horrible feeling when you think of all the bad things that could have happened.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#25 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 11:39 AM

Oh my gosh I am so sorry How frustrating that must be Poor little guy was helping Mommy :

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#26 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well, when it rains, it pours! DH was in an accident on his way home from work this morning. He's O.K., but he got pretty bad whiplash (he was hit head-on), and our truck is most likely totalled. This is bad. Very bad. We're in debt and have no money. Thankfully, the other party is liable and we won't have to pay a thing for the Dr. visits, not even our deductible. But DANG. We need some good news.

#27 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Oh, big big hugs Sometimes it doesn't seem to rain but it pours! Our year has been like that. Illness, flooded house and then a bad car accident. Just remember to breathe and try to take it one step at a time!
#28 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 12:54 PM

thank goodness he is ok & the other person had insurance.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#29 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 01:02 PM

OMG! I was about to reply to the cleaner incident when I saw your most recent post. I am glad that he is (mostly) ok. Everything DOES happen all at once!

About the other thing... I was going to say that my DH is also one to constantly leave dangerous stuff out that the kids can reach. It makes me SO mad. I don't keep harsh cleaners in the house at all but have since discovered that he has some stashed in the basement. One time, a couple of years ago, he was letting ds help him wash the car, by dipping his little arms a bucket of Lysol !:I'm still so mad when I think about it. I don't know what's wrong with him. I swear.
#30 of 30 Old 06-20-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
Glad nobody drank any, or got any sprayed in their eyes.
Yes, be thankful nothing was ingested. Still stinks though.

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page