Inside joke... (this is a fluff thread) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does your family have an inside joke, or something that always makes you laugh?? We have a few...

* Those "Every kiss begins with Kay" commercials...DH didn't get it for some reason, and then one day I explained it to him (he thought they were just talking about the letter, not the name of the jewelry store). Now every time we see those commercials, or anytime he's just thick about something, I sing "Every kiss begins with Kay!!"

* A word that does not exist... "fufunkus", pronounced fuh-fun-kiss. I was telling DH something about foot fungus and he said "What is fufunkus?" Now anything gross, weird, etc. is referred to as "fufunkus" in our house.

I can't think of the others right now...

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 12:50 AM

When I was about 11, my mom took my sister (she was 8), my cousin (she was 10)and I with her to donate blood. She donated, not us.. lol.

After she was done we were all sitting around a table eating cookies and juice and my cousin kept poking in the arm. Apparently that really annoyed my mom and she said "Hey! If you ever p-p-p-p-poked me like that...." oh man how we laughed! I don't know why she stuttered it like that, but it was so hilarious that 19 years later, we all still crack up about it.
#3 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 AM

oh boy. We've been married 12 years this year, we've got lots!

One is "there's a lentil on my foot" sung in an opereta type voice. This has been going on so long now, I can't even remember WHY we do it. It had something to do with being in the kitchen the first Christmas we were married, and cooking lentil soup, but for the love of all that's holy, I can't remember why we sing it......

We say "oh, I must have been misled" But instead of mis-led, it's mizzled.

Those are the only two I can think of right now, but I'm sure I'll be back!

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees

#4 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 12:53 AM

Sage~that reminds me~ the kids call the olive pitter an olive p-pitter for the same reason. I stuttered the first time they asked me what it was. Drives dh crazy!

Oh and Jess, your "every kiss begins with K", in our house, it's "not-a-zoo" because of the old animal kingdom commercials. I was like, "what the heck is a knotazu?"

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#5 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 01:00 AM

Pumpkin statistics _____

Whenever DH mispronounces a word, he has to say "pumpkin statistics," followed by the mispronounced word. Sometimes I add in "secretary" at the end. Depends on how poorly he pronounced the word in question.

I know, I'm weird.
#6 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 01:09 AM

Whenever something isn't done well, or looks sloppy, my side of the family says, "Looks like a godd*** clown did it!" Story being... my dad and sister were hanging sheet rock at my parents' new house a few years ago. They were in a particularly tricky part of the hosue (lots of corners and angles) and when they stepped back to look at their work, it was WAY less than adequate. My dad, who used to have quite a temper but now just gets kind of just grumpy when he used to get mad, muttered in disgust, "Awful. Looks like a godd*** clown did it." My sister laughed right in his face and said, "Really? A clown? A sheetrock-hanging clown? A GODD*** sheetrock-hanging clown?" He relaxed and saw the humor in the situation.

DH and I have lots, but I'm drawing a blank right now...

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#7 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"It's always time for pizza" Long, long ago dh (who was dbf then) and I worked out with a group of people then we'd go to pizza hut afterward and get pop and a snack. The pizza place had a clock that the hands spun around on and in neon it said "It's always time for pizza". One night there was a girl with us and she just couldn't figure out why the clock didn't keep time and why it had that slogan. Another girl, who was known for being kind of ditzy just kept repeating the slogan over and over slower and slower emphasizing "aaallllwwwaaayyyssss". The rest of us sat there trying not to laugh as it kept going on and on. Now when dh or I get confused and just can't understand something we break the tension with "It's always time for pizza" said in a slow and somber voice.
#8 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 AM

My 10 year old son and I have some. The most common two:

"I pierced the toast!" said whenever someone is unexpectedly freaking out, or if food slips from our hand/fork/whatever.

"I tried but he so craaazy!" usually said about the baby's hair because I can brush it, get it looking perfect, and in 30 minutes the back will be again trying to dreadlock, frizzled, sticking out, etc.

(both from Birdcage)

"And Zeus said no" if something is just not going to happen. Like, say we planned to go somewhere but didn't leave the house in time. Beyond our control.

That is from Hedwig and the Angry Inch
#9 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 02:29 AM

we sing a special song when we fart.......
#10 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Nay Nay! Instead of no no...it is from a very funny comic whose name currently escapes me..John something....he always jokes about his size.

Not! from Borat. My DH can do this sometimes and I cry from laughing so hard. I am smiling right now just thinking about him doing it.

The best one is from my dad - OOONS. Pronouned oooo-nz. I was riding behind him on the motorcycle and we were at a stoplight (I was early 20s.) He looked up at the street sign and said, "OOONS, that's a funny name for a street. OOONS." I almost fell off the bike. It was a sign for the zero line. It meant 000North/South. The road was called something else entirely which you'd think he'd know after living in a town for 20 years that was the road's namesake!!

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#11 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 12:50 PM

I have no idea where these came from but they make my family laugh every time.

"A porpoise Richard!" said randomly.

"Sin saw bin du wah" is what I say when I have nothing else to say.

I know there are more, but my mind is blank.

Candy, Mom to Matthew (5/02) and Ethan (10/07)

Trying for #3 starting 5/13

#12 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 01:02 PM

Hundreds. A couple of examples:

On a long trip to the southwest, we rode to Durango to Silverton railroad. My dh stopped to take some pictures, and when we got on the train, he was very grumpy, saying somebody "stole my jacket". When we cruised back in to the station several hours later, there was his jacket, hanging exactly where he put it to take some pictures. Now whenever he is missing something, we all cry "Somebody STOLE it!"

"You never see anything, Karl" In honor of my son on that same trip, who lifted his head to look out the window about 5 minutes after we pointed out something of interest. In 2 weeks in New Mexico/Colorado, he never managed to see anything.

There are several words or phrases that set the kids and I to giggling so much, we usually have to leave if we are out in public.

Our family has so much fun together. Geez, I love those people!
#13 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Dh and I always do the line from Monsters when we're clueless or someone else says somethng clueless. It went something like, "And at 12 oclock, the scare floor will be...." and then the other monster doesn't know what the answer is and says all confused, "Painted?" So we look at each other and say, "painted?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#14 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by race_kelly View Post
Dh and I always do the line from Monsters when we're clueless or someone else says somethng clueless. It went something like, "And at 12 oclock, the scare floor will be...." and then the other monster doesn't know what the answer is and says all confused, "Painted?" So we look at each other and say, "painted?"
Totally. My DH and I use a lot of lines from various Pixar films, too. "We're superheroes, what can happen?" "Sure, let's get a pet that CAN KILL US!"

Also, we tend to trade lines from Eddie Izzard's shtick, usually from Dressed to Kill, which we've watched approximately 12,341,232 times: "F***ing NUTS! I LONG for a grapefruit" and "Wait, did I leave the gas on? No, I'm an F***ing SQUIRREL", "EXECUTIVE transvestite" -- those can be interspersed into ANY conversation, apropros of nothing. No wonder other folks can't really follow us.

From my family, there's "AND A WETZEL DOG!!!" that comes from one memorable trip to the mall. My mom had decided to get us pretzels from the pretzel stall (Wetzel's) and as we were all trying to order, she shouted that across us to the cashier-- it wasn't what she said, but the desparation in her voice, like that pretzel-wrapped hotdog was a matter of life-or-death, and she'd never get another chance to order if he didn't hear her. We occasionally just holler "and a wetzel dog!" for no reason, to embarrass or annoy her.

Also, we tend to read the same books on vacation, because we all read really fast so there's never enough material to go around. Anyways, on one trip we all read David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day and spent the whole (long) drive back quoting lines back and forth, mainly bits from when he was learning french: "IS THEM THE THOUGHTS OF COWS?" (referring to calves' brains at a butcher's) Now that's another random line that pops up in conversation.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#15 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 03:09 PM

DH and I have bazillions just counting the quotes we use from The Office. Seriously, anything Dwight, Michael, Andy or Jim has said fits in any situation in any day. ESPECIALLY "That's what she said."

Also, other movies, commercials, sporting events, etc. we quote like madpeople.

One of my favorites that makes NO sense, but was something my sister said that DH misinterpreted:

"Whitney, did you just say your dog's butt is divine???" DH said this at Thanksgiving and I couldn't stop laughing. I had tears rolling down my face and my napkin was pressed to my face for at least 5 minutes. SO inappropriate.

DH also does a nice flying snapkick (don't ask).

Whenever I try and touch his face (to wipe something, or pick something off), he bites at me like a dog - so fun in public.

DS and I have a sniffing thing we do (can't explain it by typing), we also do a mad face/questioned face (again, can't explain by typing) and whenever I say "Ethone-the-thone-thone-thone" he says "WONE!" no matter where he is in the house (DD does the same for "Booda-booda-booda-booda" ... "BOODA!")

SevenVeils - The Birdcage is one of my favorite movies!!! LOVE it!!!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#16 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
The best one is from my dad - OOONS. Pronouned oooo-nz. I was riding behind him on the motorcycle and we were at a stoplight (I was early 20s.) He looked up at the street sign and said, "OOONS, that's a funny name for a street. OOONS." I almost fell off the bike. It was a sign for the zero line. It meant 000North/South. The road was called something else entirely which you'd think he'd know after living in a town for 20 years that was the road's namesake!!
My DH told me that when he was travelling through Germany for the first time (before he learned German), he thought the word for "exit" was the name of the town-- thinking for miles, "that must be a really big town!" before someone finally told him that the signs were saying "___ exit"

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#17 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
DH and I have bazillions just counting the quotes we use from The Office. Seriously, anything Dwight, Michael, Andy or Jim has said fits in any situation in any day. ESPECIALLY "That's what she said."

Also, other movies, commercials, sporting events, etc. we quote like madpeople.

One of my favorites that makes NO sense, but was something my sister said that DH misinterpreted:

"Whitney, did you just say your dog's butt is divine???" DH said this at Thanksgiving and I couldn't stop laughing. I had tears rolling down my face and my napkin was pressed to my face for at least 5 minutes. SO inappropriate.

DH also does a nice flying snapkick (don't ask).

Whenever I try and touch his face (to wipe something, or pick something off), he bites at me like a dog - so fun in public.

DS and I have a sniffing thing we do (can't explain it by typing), we also do a mad face/questioned face (again, can't explain by typing) and whenever I say "Ethone-the-thone-thone-thone" he says "WONE!" no matter where he is in the house (DD does the same for "Booda-booda-booda-booda" ... "BOODA!")

SevenVeils - The Birdcage is one of my favorite movies!!! LOVE it!!!
you guys sound like fun.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#18 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We use tons and tons of movie lines.

When dd and ds fight dh and I will yell out "who's evolved?" to make them stop. It's from Night at the Museum where Larry is slapping the monkey. It gets him to remember that she's 2, not 7. We actually use tons of Night at the Museum quotes.

"Hey Carl what's up?" whenever somone walks in the room. (Billy Madison)

The oil change place is Lifty Lub, not Jiffy Lube.

Sicknesses are gynacoccis. Doesn't matter what it is, you're sick? You got gynacoccis.

I'm sure there's a million more, but I can't think of them now.

I just thought of another. Dh's best friend had this girlfriend who was an uptight snotty, well, bitch. One night we were all out to dinner and BF wanted dessert and asked what "a la mode" was. She tore into him about how stupid could you possibly be not to know what a la mode was and went on and on. So now if me or my sister are being bitchy we can say a la mode and die laughing. They broke up.
#19 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

We have a million.

A couple --

We randomly should "door" out of the blue -- this is from a video I made showing my sister our new apartment, in one of the "scenes" I had recorded over ... and when the re-recording ends, the old recording comes in right at a point where I am saying "DOOR" as in... "this is the front door" or something -- but the sound is all distorted and loud. It made me and dh laugh hysterically (so hard to explain in type) --

So at random times, or when one of us does something stupid, (or sometimes for no reason at all) the other will say... "...DOOOOOR...." This happened like 4 years ago and we still do it.

We use a lot of one liners from film, and TV, like the Simpsons has a lot of good one liners. For example, "I've got to get something out of my car" is something we say in uncomfortable situations -- because often someone says this on the Simpsons followed by the sound of feet running, a car door slamming, an engine starting, and the car screeching off... so pretend someone says something offensive or weird, dh will look at me and say casually, "I've got to get something out of my car..."

dh and I say"Oh HELL no" to each other to make each other laugh. This is an inside joke because one night we were on the air mattress in dd's "room" (she cosleeps) .. getting erm... romantic... then all of the sudden from the next apartment we hear our neighbor say loudly (about something unrelated) "Oh heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllll noooooooooooooooooooooooo" in an exaggerated way -- we just lost it laughing. Now we do that to each other in random situations.

We have a bunch more but those spring to mind!
#20 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
With my side of the family:
"Let's eat, Elton" when a meal is ready.
"You're lettin' our flies out" when someone's holding the door open.
"When I need you, I'll call you" when someone corrects someone else.

Between my sister and I:
"That's a really neat stockpot."

Between DH and I:
"He looks like your BROTHER!" (This was the very first thing out of my mouth when our DS1 was born. DH found it hilarious, in an offputting sort of way. )
"Let's watch Teen Wolf!" (when there's nothing to watch on TV)

There are sooo many more, with friends and other people, but I can't think of them all right now.
#21 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 05:24 PM

DH and I used to work with a guy named Alan who was a real slob, always had something on his shirt. Whenever anyone in our house gets something on their shirt, someone will say Hey, you're wearing Alan's shirt.

for intuitive readings click here :
#22 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 05:59 PM

We are big fans of swapping letters around so:

Scottish Widows becomes Wottish Scidows
Royal Bank bacomes Boil Rank
(both are places my DH used to work)

I can make my youngest sister crack up every time just by saying "7,8,9", from that joke....

Also, Nairn (Where DH grew up)is known as Narnia in my family - my youngest sister was only 9 when we started dating
#23 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post

From my family, there's "AND A WETZEL DOG!!!" that comes from one memorable trip to the mall. My mom had decided to get us pretzels from the pretzel stall (Wetzel's) and as we were all trying to order, she shouted that across us to the cashier-- it wasn't what she said, but the desparation in her voice, like that pretzel-wrapped hotdog was a matter of life-or-death, and she'd never get another chance to order if he didn't hear her. We occasionally just holler "and a wetzel dog!" for no reason, to embarrass or annoy her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Whenever something isn't done well, or looks sloppy, my side of the family says, "Looks like a godd*** clown did it!" Story being... my dad and sister were hanging sheet rock at my parents' new house a few years ago. They were in a particularly tricky part of the hosue (lots of corners and angles) and when they stepped back to look at their work, it was WAY less than adequate. My dad, who used to have quite a temper but now just gets kind of just grumpy when he used to get mad, muttered in disgust, "Awful. Looks like a godd*** clown did it." My sister laughed right in his face and said, "Really? A clown? A sheetrock-hanging clown? A GODD*** sheetrock-hanging clown?" He relaxed and saw the humor in the situation.
:

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#24 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 PM

My brother used to live with us when my oldest was little. He was looking for work, and called about an ad he saw in the paper and got an interview. He was so excited about it. Only, the place of the interview was not on the bus line, so we drove him and waited in the car while he interviewed (we were both happy to sit and read). He dressed his very best, brought in his resumé, etc. He thought he'd finally found a worth-while job.

It turns out it was some kind of mass "interview" that was really just a sales pitch for buying your own "business," kind of a thing. After an hour they finally let everyone take a break from their pitch, and Jesse still couldn't have told you what the heck they were even selling! It was only ever referred to as "The Product."

So now we'll say, "The Product is Goooood." in a creepy, culty-brainwashed sort of way and crack up. Or we'll joke about how The Product will raise your property value, cure your hemorrhoids, and guard against fleas and ticks, or some other ridiculous combination. Because, ya know, The Product is Good.

Serendipity
#25 of 35 Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 PM

When I was a kid my family was camping with a bunch of my parents' friends. There was plenty of beer and rum (for the adults) and silliness all around. There were also bottlerockets. So my dad and his friends started gathering up slugs to put on the bottlerockets and yelling "SLUUUUUGS IN SPAAAAACE!!!!" (a la The Muppet Show--Pigs in Space). Dad and I break into giggle fits every time we have an occasion to think about slugs, bottlerockets, Muppets...Anything that gives us an excuse to say "SLUUUGS IN SPAAAACE!!!"

The best way for me and my sister to laugh hysterically is if one of us farts. Expecially if it's really stinky or if we manage to both fart--double bonus laughs then!
#26 of 35 Old 06-21-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
you guys sound like fun.
Thanks!

We are, in a very immature and inappropriate way. We act like little kids when we're together, I'm wondering when (if) we'll grow up.

We also have one about eating pine cones and raccoon in Oregon. We were sleep-deprived on a straight-through 1000 mile road trip 3 days after I had DS. We stopped in this hole-in-the-wall 'restaurant' where they were out of everything! We decided, by the clientele, employees and ambiance, that they were going to deep fry us some small woodland critters, tree roots, rocks, whatever. That was the time my mom looked at us (she met us halfway so we could sleep) and said "And that's why their marriage works."

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#27 of 35 Old 06-21-2008, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We went on a family outing and I brought my friend. Someone said said something about "Friday" and my friend said "What about fried eggs?"

She obviously didn't hear it properly.

So now, whenever we can't hear something that someone said or don't understand it, we say "What about fried eggs?"

Oh, and that took place 24 yrs ago. We still say it.

Mama, Artist, Mary Kay Consultant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#28 of 35 Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 AM

I've been quoting Birdcage too! My slippers for the daycare I work in are these mesh gaudy jeweled flowery things, they cost $2. My co-worker decided they are "guatamalean HOT"
#29 of 35 Old 06-21-2008, 12:03 PM

"We can vacuum." Said whenever we mishear something someone else said. From a long time ago when one of our friends thought we said "I want to vacuum" when it was nothing like that at all.

We have a lot from Seinfeld that are often heard around here.

"But I don't want to be a pirate!"
"You're banned! Banned from the store!"
"And you want to be my latex salesman."
"Oh, a johnson rod."

Oh yeah, Birdcage. Dh's favorite is "You're just afraid of my HEAT!" At family gatherings, we often turn to one another and whisper "I, I think I'm insane!"

Whenever my mom gets excited about something, my sister and I turn to each other and say "Oooh, fudge!" This comes from a few years ago when we were walking down main street in some little town, and my mom said "Oooh, fudge!" and the excitement in her voice was just hilarious.

"We can drag it." Said whenever we can't figure out how to do some particular household thing. This was from when dh and I were first dating. His mom asked him to take the old christmas tree down to the recycling lot, and dh asked her how he was supposed to fit it into his car. Her reponse was "You can drag it."
#30 of 35 Old 06-21-2008, 12:23 PM

Our family parties are full of Tommy Boy lines..."Late again, Tommy? You're pathetic" and the ever popular "You can get a good look at a butcher's ass...but it's gotta be your bull" And the family guy lines never stop

We have an Aunt and Uncle that a sitcom could be based on. She is an AMAZINGLY fast talker, and he hasn't worked in 40 years, and talks realllllllly slow...was fond of walking his dog in the forest until the dog died a couple of years ago. We have conversations as the Aunt and Uncle, and have thought about doing a cable access show about it, totally in character...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page