The Internet and Intelligence - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I woke up this morning thinking about the Internet and intelligence. People think that I'm smart. I don't see it. I read a lot and have interest in what I read, so I have a decent breadth of knowledge on the subjects that I enjoy, as most people do. The thing is, the things that interest me aren't the same things that interest a lot of other people. If my interest were...rap music and sneakers, then people wouldn't view my knowledge as intelligence, but obsession.

Most of my reading used to be in plain old text. Journals, text books, newspapers, etc. Now I split the time between hardcopy sources and the Internet. In that respect, the internet makes me "smarter."

Some people say that the Internet is just more screen time; no more beneficial than television and that it takes time away from more worthwhile pursuits. Others say that it's a wealth of useful information.

It makes me wonder. It's no secret that Americans are growing fatter and lazier, both physically and mentally. It's also no secret that the Internet is growing more popular, with less than 10 percent of private homes having Internet access in 1999 growing to over 75 percent as of 2006. Is the Internet contributing to this? Or is it a misused, but very valuable tool? Or is it misused at all?

Just rambling.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)

User Tag List