Anyone else not really like 4th of July? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,730
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
yeah the food is great when I'm not the one that has to prepare it but the noise gets to me. Its only 11am and we've had F-16's doing low flybys every couple of minutes for 2 hours. People are already setting off fireworks which are very illegal with good reason here becasue its so dry and fires get started so easy here, did I mention I hate loud nosies? I'll admit it, I'm a party pooper

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paradise
Posts: 7,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
meh. Holidays schmolidays. Just another reason to overconsume.

I'll join your party pooper party. (wait...that doesnt make sense. )

My 5 yr old boy is obsessed with blowing stuff up right now though, so our whole thing is circulating around that.
transformed is offline  
#3 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 04:08 PM
 
DandeCobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: In constant renovation
Posts: 1,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm due tomorrow and my dad is here visiting, DH is off for the long weekend and my mom is staying for 2 more weeks then she has to go home. oh, and i am NOT in labor in any way shape or form, just *&^*&^ pregnant. so, no, today i don't like the fourth of freaking july

rant over, you may continue with your thread
DandeCobb is offline  
#4 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 04:11 PM
 
bri276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my due date was 5th of july '05 & I remember feeling the same! (dd's birthday is 7/13)

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
bri276 is offline  
#5 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 04:18 PM
 
Kidzaplenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Writing my Happily Ever After
Posts: 15,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am ok with the 4th of July, but it is not much different than any other day to me.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Kidzaplenty is offline  
#6 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 04:21 PM
 
~ATenthMuse~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Here, there, everywhere. :)
Posts: 4,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me. It's not so much that I dislike the 4th, I just don't really get into it anymore. Some of my best memories are of the 4th, when I was a kid... It's not the same now that I'm (supposedly) an adult. I only celebrate it for my own kids now.
~ATenthMuse~ is offline  
#7 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 04:23 PM
 
delicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: a country i can be proud of.
Posts: 3,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandeCobb View Post
i'm due tomorrow and my dad is here visiting, DH is off for the long weekend and my mom is staying for 2 more weeks then she has to go home. oh, and i am NOT in labor in any way shape or form, just *&^*&^ pregnant. so, no, today i don't like the fourth of freaking july

rant over, you may continue with your thread


i am not big on the 4th of july. some of our neighbors have been doing fireworks like, all week. and every time they start up, it surprises me and i jump! i also don't really like cookouts or anything. i'm just happy to have dp off of work. we're going to make sandwiches later and maybe let the kids do some more sparklers. if it stays dry. we also might walk down to the park.
delicious is offline  
#8 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 04:27 PM
 
Purple Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I'm not so into it, either. I'm not really into many holidays, though.

DH's birthday is tomorrow and DD2's birthday is the 7th, so the 4th of July holiday is a bit overshadowed by the other celebrations, anyway.
Purple Sage is offline  
#9 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 06:03 PM
 
MilkTrance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: a small, old house
Posts: 5,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm Canadian, so actually, I'm jealous of your patriotism, or at least, of your celebration.
MilkTrance is offline  
#10 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 06:15 PM
 
Doodlebugsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not a big July 4th celebrator. Today I made some coleslaw, baked beans and bought some frozen bean burgers to take to a friend's house for dinner this eve. It's currently 4:15 pm and I'm still in my PJs. I like watching professional fire works displays, but I hate when neighbors set off fireworks. One of my dogs gets severely nervous about it and I have to medicate her every year. I don't think it has to be a day of overconsumption. For us it's a day that dh is home from work and we hang out and eat with friends. Maybe drink a little beer or wine too.
Doodlebugsmom is offline  
#11 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 06:24 PM
 
2 in August's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today is completely blah for me. Dh has to work till 5:30. We got invited absolutely nowhere. There was a bad storm on Weds and our garage door is stuck shut and my car is in the garage. There are so many mosquitos in our yard that we get swarmed just walking out to the compost pile. So me and the kids are sitting around watching videos (the storm also fried our satellite reciever), hoping daddy can fix the door, and we can go to fireworks tonight. I used to love July 4th, family picnics, fireworks, yeah...now I'm totally bored and it's just another day.
2 in August is offline  
#12 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 06:26 PM
 
Blooming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another one who doesn't get into it. DS1 has a birthday tomorrow, we had a party yesterday for him so all the kids are doing is playing with his gifts. DH works form home so he worked this afternoon but took the morning off (to mow the lawn).

Tonight we're probably having pasta salad and watching a DVD.

I'm still on the fence about fireworks. I really hate the traffic...

We were invited to a BBQ but my body just can't take another social gathering.
Blooming is offline  
#13 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 06:27 PM
 
Blooming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 in August View Post
Today is completely blah for me. Dh has to work till 5:30. We got invited absolutely nowhere. There was a bad storm on Weds and our garage door is stuck shut and my car is in the garage. There are so many mosquitos in our yard that we get swarmed just walking out to the compost pile. So me and the kids are sitting around watching videos (the storm also fried our satellite reciever), hoping daddy can fix the door, and we can go to fireworks tonight. I used to love July 4th, family picnics, fireworks, yeah...now I'm totally bored and it's just another day.
Sorry your having such a hard day.
Blooming is offline  
#14 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 07:07 PM
 
Mavournin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really couldn't care less about the 4th. I don't buy into what most people pass off as patriotism anyway, so why should I get all excited about one day?

So far today I have slept late, cared for a sick baby, run errands and now I will finish off my day by packing my oldest's bags for summer camp. Later tonight my jerky neighbors will set off fireworks - real big ones - in their backyard all night. I live in a town with incredibly close-together houses and a LOT of big trees. Every year I wonder is this the year they start a fire or blow up their hands?
Mavournin is offline  
#15 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 07:40 PM
 
ramama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whew! So it's NOT just me? I just don't *feel* it. I wonder if the people who are so gung-ho about the 4th are also the people who dodge jury duty and don't vote. And I don't understand "patriotism" either. I hate crowds and therefore don't enjoy getting to the fireworks (I like professional displays, but getting to one is a PITA). And my DDs are too young to really care anyway. Yeah, I'm a huge pooper.

Maybe I'll feel differently once Obama's president!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

ramama is offline  
#16 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,730
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post
Whew! So it's NOT just me? I just don't *feel* it. I wonder if the people who are so gung-ho about the 4th are also the people who dodge jury duty and don't vote. And I don't understand "patriotism" either. I hate crowds and therefore don't enjoy getting to the fireworks (I like professional displays, but getting to one is a PITA). And my DDs are too young to really care anyway. Yeah, I'm a huge pooper.

Maybe I'll feel differently once Obama's president!
Most people are gung ho about it becasue its a chance to throw a BBQ party and get drunk and its socially acceptable to do so on the 4th.

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
#17 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 08:50 PM
 
Ianthe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 6,633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like BBQing and drinking with friends.. but this year we aren't doing anything.. maybe we will walk to the park. There is no way I am going to try to drive tonight.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Ianthe is offline  
#18 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 PM
 
DaughterOfKali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 12,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's just a regular day for us. No special food. No gatherings.

I really don't like neighbor people lighting off fireworks all hours of the night (like 2am this morning.)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

DaughterOfKali is offline  
#19 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 09:16 PM
 
MorganRiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: green green Oregon
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am Canadian living in the states...but I still totally get into the fun and excitement of having a party, tons of great food and barbeque...and we are a family who loves fireworks.

Nobody drinks in our house so we arent getting drunk, we are being safe and having fun without being totally sloshed

To me its all about making happy memories for the kids and letting loose and being a kid again too!!!
MorganRiley is offline  
#20 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:02 PM
 
fek&fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: down in the hunker
Posts: 8,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate it. I always end up feeling like a big loser left out of something.

I sewed all day and watched Juno and Dawson's Creek. And now I think I'll drink some wine and try to keep the dog calm.

At least my niece and nephews will have sweet matching outfits to wear at our family party on Sunday. And maybe coordinating bean bags to play with.
fek&fuzz is offline  
#21 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:12 PM
 
orangebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Barack's Camp, and still loving Mah
Posts: 7,317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh man, I hate it. I am laying naked in bed right now while everyone is getting ready to go out. I am trying so hard to find any way to just stay home. I hate the 4th.
orangebird is offline  
#22 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:14 PM
 
Rosedotcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't dislike it but it's just a regular day to me.
Rosedotcom is offline  
#23 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 PM
 
Changed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hate pretty much everything about it.
Changed is offline  
#24 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 10:53 PM
 
Viola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nevada
Posts: 22,549
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm having a good day so far.

We went downtown to the parade this morning. Got to see horses and dogs and cars and fire engines, a man on a unicycle, a man on stilts dressed like Uncle Sam, another man dressed like Abe Lincoln. There were Republican women riding in a truck, Democrats walking in formation, lots of military representatives and vets and families of vets with support our troops signs, and vets and families of vets protesting the war. Women dressed as flamingos for peace, Boy scouts, girl scouts, and some representatives from the various LGBT groups.

Then we went and had coffee at the local coffee place on the river, then we went down to the river, not to pray, but to throw bits of bagels to the duck, who ignored it, so all we did was pollute. We crossed the street, went into the Episcopal church for the free organ concert. There were some neat pieces, and then it ended up with that Sousa piece, and the man who was hosting the concert banged some cymbals at the end. We all thought that was great and clapped along. I waved one of the little flags my daughters got from the parade. Then we went into the river where kids were swimming and splashing around. My 4 year old took off her shoes and dress and had fun wading and dunking in her underwear. The underpants got all wet and sandy, so she walked naked to the car until I convinced her to put her dress on.

Then we came home. I couldn't stay awake, so I took a nap on the couch, then got up, did dishes, made some dinner. My 9 year and I were taking turns reading The City of Ember to each other, my husband read to the 4 year old--a book about the start of life, the dinosaurs, the different preshistoric eras, the formation of rocks and agriculture and all those sorts of things. My husband went to the store to get his dinner and he's cooking it now, and he got me some novelty ice cream.

I figure we'll try and go see some fireworks later. Last year we just drove out onto the road above the park where they were being set off, and pulled over and watched from there.
Viola is offline  
#25 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 11:06 PM
 
Mama Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Apparently on MDC
Posts: 10,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like the food and the huge firework shows, but not the neighborhood ones. Too loud and dangerous.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
Mama Dragon is offline  
#26 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 11:25 PM
 
papercranegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate the 4th. I love The Declaration of Independence. I love Independence Day but I hate "THE FOURTH OF JULY." I have a scared puppy and 2 highly sensitive kids so...yeah... no fun for me tonight. But I think it would really suck to be a recently returned veteran suffering from PTSD right now. You love your country, served it, and now a bunch of drunk s think it's a good time to blow off any class c firework they can get their hands on. I remember my uncle, years after serving in 'nam, spending the 4th holed up in his basement with some heavy tranquilizers. God bless the USA indeed.
papercranegirl is offline  
#27 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned
 
CharlieBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: garden variety
Posts: 4,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
me
CharlieBrown is offline  
#28 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 PM
 
fek&fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: down in the hunker
Posts: 8,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papercranegirl View Post
I hate the 4th. I love The Declaration of Independence. I love Independence Day but I hate "THE FOURTH OF JULY." I have a scared puppy and 2 highly sensitive kids so...yeah... no fun for me tonight. But I think it would really suck to be a recently returned veteran suffering from PTSD right now. You love your country, served it, and now a bunch of drunk s think it's a good time to blow off any class c firework they can get their hands on. I remember my uncle, years after serving in 'nam, spending the 4th holed up in his basement with some heavy tranquilizers. God bless the USA indeed.
That would indeed suck.

While I sit here with explosions outside, I try to remember that some people in the world live with these sounds every day, and that they are hearing noises that could kill them or their loved ones, or blow up the road that takes them to the grocery store or to the doctor. I know that the noise will end tonight, and I won't have to hear it for another year. And so tonight I just think about those who don't have that luxury, or those people like your uncle who have to return to hell when they hear the noise.
fek&fuzz is offline  
#29 of 33 Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 PM
 
MorganRiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: green green Oregon
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
I'm having a good day so far.

We went downtown to the parade this morning. Got to see horses and dogs and cars and fire engines, a man on a unicycle, a man on stilts dressed like Uncle Sam, another man dressed like Abe Lincoln. There were Republican women riding in a truck, Democrats walking in formation, lots of military representatives and vets and families of vets with support our troops signs, and vets and families of vets protesting the war. Women dressed as flamingos for peace, Boy scouts, girl scouts, and some representatives from the various LGBT groups.

Then we went and had coffee at the local coffee place on the river, then we went down to the river, not to pray, but to throw bits of bagels to the duck, who ignored it, so all we did was pollute. We crossed the street, went into the Episcopal church for the free organ concert. There were some neat pieces, and then it ended up with that Sousa piece, and the man who was hosting the concert banged some cymbals at the end. We all thought that was great and clapped along. I waved one of the little flags my daughters got from the parade. Then we went into the river where kids were swimming and splashing around. My 4 year old took off her shoes and dress and had fun wading and dunking in her underwear. The underpants got all wet and sandy, so she walked naked to the car until I convinced her to put her dress on.

Then we came home. I couldn't stay awake, so I took a nap on the couch, then got up, did dishes, made some dinner. My 9 year and I were taking turns reading The City of Ember to each other, my husband read to the 4 year old--a book about the start of life, the dinosaurs, the different preshistoric eras, the formation of rocks and agriculture and all those sorts of things. My husband went to the store to get his dinner and he's cooking it now, and he got me some novelty ice cream.

I figure we'll try and go see some fireworks later. Last year we just drove out onto the road above the park where they were being set off, and pulled over and watched from there.
I like your desciptive post about your day!
MorganRiley is offline  
#30 of 33 Old 07-05-2008, 12:28 AM
 
Himom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Me! My street sounds like a war zone from all the neighborhood fireworks, my kids are cranky from not being able to sleep, it's hot...what's there to like about today? I don't like 4th of July. Grrhhh...
Himom is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off