S/O Spelling and Firefox - Mothering Forums
Talk Amongst Ourselves > S/O Spelling and Firefox
lalaland42 12:38 AM 07-09-2008
Rather than derailing the other thread...

I was taught the British way to spell certain words like judgement (which is rarely used on MDC).

Firefox always wants to take away my e and that really annoys me. Were you taught to add an e to certain words or does Firefox's dictionary annoy me alone?

Rhiannon Feimorgan's Avatar Rhiannon Feimorgan 01:15 AM 07-09-2008
I'm Canadian so I spell things in the proper way and not the American way Firefox is always telling me I've spelled colour or other words with an "ou" insted of just an "o" wrong. And the "e" words too.
Rosedotcom's Avatar Rosedotcom 01:41 AM 07-09-2008
I think it depends on the word. I spell judgement with an e and color regularly. Firefox is telling me to change judgement. Generally I use spell check.

I'm american FWIW.
laralee16's Avatar laralee16 01:42 AM 07-09-2008
I find I cant get it to recognize some words. I will try to spell one thing, it will come up with something TOTALLY different.

I still love it thou.
miss_sonja's Avatar miss_sonja 01:46 AM 07-09-2008
For me, it's the "u" in words like colour, honour, etc.

I was taught judgment has only one "e" in law school (in the U.S.)
WhaleinGaloshes's Avatar WhaleinGaloshes 01:46 AM 07-09-2008
Firefox has the worst spellchecker I've ever used in my life (or maybe it just doesn't 'get' me .)

I use the Google spellchecker when Firefox has got nothing for me, and Google inevitably knows what I was aiming for.

In this post, it happened twice.

ETA: As made obvious by the above ^^^, I'm clearly unqualified to comment on the number of e's in judgement which was your actual point
lalaland42 02:02 AM 07-09-2008
I love Firefox too but I am a little compulsive about the red squiggles under the words. It is a little hard to hit post when I see a red, dotted line. I use google spellchecker too.

Heh. I told DH about this thread and he said, "judgement doesn't have 2 e's?" He is American too. Oh and grey is properly spelled with an e.
stirringleaf's Avatar stirringleaf 02:10 AM 07-09-2008
i am american and i thought judgement was spelled with an e

goes to show how great i can spell i guess?

or maybe i really am canadian.

hm
MichaelsSahm's Avatar MichaelsSahm 11:05 AM 07-09-2008
I turn the spell check off, because whenever I type an e-mail in dutch there's red lines everywhere. LOL!
betterparent's Avatar betterparent 11:15 AM 07-09-2008
I never use spell check.

love me for my bad spelling!
Calidris's Avatar Calidris 11:24 AM 07-09-2008
You can download language pack/dictionaries. I just installed British English and have no problems.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3
tboroson's Avatar tboroson 12:15 PM 07-09-2008
Calidris, awesome! Thanks!

Ach, I think I need a Pennsylvania Dutch English version, though. None of these versions recognize such fine words as "strubbly" and "rutchy".
moondiapers's Avatar moondiapers 12:19 PM 07-09-2008
In american english you drop the "e" at the end of a word when you add a suffix.
avivaelona's Avatar avivaelona 12:30 PM 07-09-2008
I'm American but I mostly prefer the British spellings, Judgment just looks wrong wrong wrong to me. Judgement looks right. I do prefer Color and Honor though.

I also think that Grey and Gray are two different colors...different shades of the combination of black and white

but as the pp said if you don't like your spell checks Americaness just change your spell check dictionary.
MichaelsSahm's Avatar MichaelsSahm 12:40 PM 07-09-2008
I prefer colour over color. No offense, but American english is lazy english. ROFL. I am from europe, and I was taught British English.
Rhiannon Feimorgan's Avatar Rhiannon Feimorgan 12:54 PM 07-09-2008
yay! they have a Canadian dictionary. Now I can spell colour without red lines eh.
Calidris's Avatar Calidris 01:09 PM 07-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
Calidris, awesome! Thanks!

Ach, I think I need a Pennsylvania Dutch English version, though. None of these versions recognize such fine words as "strubbly" and "rutchy".
Hey, isn't the beauty of open source that you can make your own

but apart from that, you know that when you right click the "wrong" word, one of the options is add to dictionary, right?
tboroson's Avatar tboroson 01:14 PM 07-09-2008
Yeah, but I'm lazy.
laralee16's Avatar laralee16 01:21 PM 07-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
Yeah, but I'm lazy.
lol
Calidris's Avatar Calidris 01:38 PM 07-09-2008

candipooh's Avatar candipooh 01:46 PM 07-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_goer View Post
Firefox has the worst spellchecker I've ever used in my life (or maybe it just doesn't 'get' me .)

I use the Google spellchecker when Firefox has got nothing for me, and Google inevitably knows what I was aiming for.

In this post, it happened twice.

ETA: As made obvious by the above ^^^, I'm clearly unqualified to comment on the number of e's in judgement which was your actual point

YES! This is me. I like that it underlines the words so I at least know that they are misspelled but dang it all. I feel like the worst speller in the world when a spell checker doesn't even know what I am trying to type. I use google too.
Mama Dragon's Avatar Mama Dragon 01:52 PM 07-09-2008
Right click>Add to dictionary I do this daily.
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 02:03 PM 07-09-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
I was taught the British way to spell certain words like judgement (which is rarely used on MDC).

Firefox always wants to take away my e and that really annoys me. Were you taught to add an e to certain words or does Firefox's dictionary annoy me alone?
You can right click and hit "add" to any words you know you've spelled correctly, but FF is whining about.

Incidentally though, I've seen people get snippy about other people spelling "judgement" and "judgemental" "wrong" around here. Like in a thread "Was this judgemental of me?" I've seen "well if you can't even spell judgmental correctly, you don't have any business criticizing anyone else." (Hypocritical UAVs...
Up