Is there a baby name you love but can't use? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2008, 04:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love the name Eden, but it is too close to our last name.

I almost named ds Graham and I kinda still wish I had. I was too scared of Graham cracker references I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Melody
But alas no more babies for us - no girls

DH says everyone would have expected her to be able to sing
Old 07-24-2008, 05:32 AM

gosh 7 pages. i only got to bottom of first but here is my list

Joshua a friend named her son this 3 weeks before my DS2 was born.
Saphira DH said no cos it sounds too much like a make of car.

for DS2 we liked Harry but could use it as everyone would think he was named after Harry Potter so we called him Harrison. (and with our surname its like he is named after 2 of The Beatles)
Old 07-24-2008, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Jessara, because DH and I had boys only and we couldn't use it.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What a fun thread.

Elijah - friends in our circle named their son Elijah (call him Eli) two months before our DS2 was born. Was in the running for DS3 (well, actually, we had NO real names in the running for DS3!), but DH also had a rotten friend in high school named Eli... Still adore the name, though!

Katherine - My MIL is Katie (that's her full name), and we've thus far named no one after family, so we can't start now!

Isaac - Reserving this one for my dear sister.

Abigail - An early girl pick for us (as in, before we were married). Then it became super popular.

Grace - love the name, and may be a MN if we ever have a girl.

Miriam - My great-grandmother's name. I adore it, especially the meaning, but DH says it sounds "old." Well, Grandma died last year at almost 101 - so, yeah, it is old! But I still love it!

And then there's one name tucked away for that little girl that I hope will someday come... So far I'm 0-for-2 when having it picked out!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeter9 View Post
Funny, Atticus is my son's name and was my DH's idea. Love it.

Hamish. Because I'm not having anymore babies.
I love Hamish! It goes well with my son's name ANGUS.

For a girl, I really like Angela, but it's too similar to Angus IMO. I also like Adam for a boy, but I want my kids names to start with different letters, dunno why.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM

I always loved the name Yonaton (Jonathan) but it's dh's brother's name.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM

Yep....Nolan.

Already have two in our extended family.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM

Axel, because while it's a family name, it's also associated with Axel Rose.

And no baby ever deserves to be saddled with a name that represents drugs and white spandex shorts.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM

We're done having kids. With the two pregnancies, dh vetoed a lot of boys' names, including:
Gabriel
Broderick
Lucas
Marcus
Alistair

Actually, here's a story that might be funny to other Americans. My husband is British English. He vetoed "Andrew" because it was "too Scottish". I thought something like Hamish might sound very Scottish (I also love that name) but as an American, I would never think of "Andrew" as being incredibly Scottish. Of course, it is the Scottish patron saint. He also vetoed "Owen" as being "too Welsh". I LOVE Keegan but I wouldn't even try that with dh.

Oh, he vetoed "Henry" (which is too similar to our last name anyway) because of something called a "Hooray Henry". And he vetoed "Jeremy" because it's a British stereotypical snobby name, I think.

For girls' names, we both loved and never used "Ciarrai", which dh did NOT veto as being "too Irish". My name is Kerry. When dh and his family visited Ireland prior to us being married, they visited the ring of Kerry. Dh said that the license plates read: Ciarrai (with an accent on the end), which was Gaelic for Kerry. We both wanted a future daughter of ours to have that as her middle name. By the time we actually had children, every person in the US had named their daughter phonetic versions of that so it was no longer as rare and special as it once was for us.

We never had daughters but we both loved "Alexandra" (and obviously didn't get to use it).

I always liked "Bennett" as a middle name but I already had a Benjamin so I thought that would be too much.

I can't think of anything else right now.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Story for a girl, but we haven't had a girl...yet...

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post
Melody
But alas no more babies for us - no girls

DH says everyone would have expected her to be able to sing
That's funny. The only adult Melody I know is a professor of voice.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 AM

We went to Destin, Florida for our honeymoon. We soon got a beagle puppy and named her Destin, Dessy for short. I actually love that name and now kind of wish we'd saved it for a little girl. Oh well.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
If so, what is it and why can't you use it?

Just curious.
I like lots of names but I'm not having another child so I can't really use any of them. We're probably not going to get many more pets either.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Old 07-24-2008, 11:47 AM

Sophia/Sophie- We know 3 people who named their girls this
Isabella/Isabel-We know 2 people who named their girls this

Elena- DH isn't a fan
Alexander (again DH isn't a fan)

lady.gif Proud Mama of Lil "Big" Roc  banana.gifand Lil Roman superhero.gif 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:52 AM

I know a Melodie, and she doesn't sing at all!

Adam is the name I'd love to use for a boy, but we have a daughter named Evelyn (Evie). Adam and Evie? Gah, might as well just name 'em Sonny and Cheryl! WAY too cheesy quasi-matchy-matchy!!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:02 PM

I the name Magaly. It's the name the of wonderful, smart, strong and amazing friend I haven't talked to in years and because she lives in another country I haven't figured out how to get in touch with her. Anyways, I love the name. But...my Dh and pretty much everyone else in the family thinks it's ugly . I also love the names Ruby, Lila and Melody. But my dh does not.

caffix.gif

Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 PM

Stella and Vivian - One is the name of my ex-stepgrandfather's mistress, the other is the name of the child they had together out of wedlock. (Sounds like a soap opera, huh?)

Sophia or Sophie because it's too popular (I'm pretty sure I'm using Sophia for a middle name, though).

There are quite a few I like that are just too strange or too hard to pronounce/spell/etc.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 PM

I love the name Walden for a boy. Ive always wanted to use it. Dh likes the book but not as a name for a son. Ive convinced him if we ever have another son to use it at least as a middle name.

I also love the name Violet for a girl. Im hoping by the time I have another dd (if I do) no one will think about Violet Affleck.

Mother of 3, welcomed a new baby girl July 2011

Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 PM

Dp and I both love Marley for a boy or a girl.

But our last name starts with Mar.

So heh. Wouldn't work!

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
Old 07-24-2008, 12:55 PM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 PM

I love Augustus, but it forever linked to "Gloop", and so I am sad.
I also adore Agnes, but no one else does - so I named my late pet mice Agnes and Anathema (bonus pts to anyone who recognizes the pairing).

My girls name was under threat - Evelyn Maeve (Evie), because my aunt named her daughter Ava (pronounced Eva). But whatever - if I have a girl I'm going with it.

DH adores Ronan for a boy, but I cannot think of any acceptable nicknames.
I love Lucifer, but obviously that's a no-go. Lucius is great too, but again with the nicknames - Luci? Bah. And we have a S last name.
All the good strong Roman names end in S. Sadness.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 PM

Parker, Cooper, Anderson. DP's last name sounds like "Coo-par". So Parker "Coo-par", Cooper "Coo-par", or Anderson "Coo-par" (CNN?) are out. And I love love love Parker.

DP has vetoed Riley/Reilly for a boy. I'm still working on her for that one. I have loved Riley for a boy since I first heard it, and I think the Reilly spelling might make it a more obvious "boy" name.

Caleb/Lily/Isabelle-a - Way back when we were first thinking of TTC (in 05) we liked Lily. But since then XBF and a good friend have had Lily/Lili. So, pth. Then when we got back on the TTC bandwagon last January, DP LOVED Isabelle/a. Next month good friend announces they're expecting, and they have a DD few months later and name her Isabella.

Not to mention that all three of those are MASSIVELY popular.

I LOVE Vivienne. But no way in heck now.

My all time favorite, though, is Evangeline. DP refuses, says it sounds too religious to her (we're pretty much agnostic), and reminds her of Evangelical. I can see it...but I love the name and all its nickname possibilities.

We're not even pg yet, lol. Maybe it'll be twins so she can name one and I can name the other. This compromise crap is for the birds.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
My son came close to being Maxim Augustus...but he is Maxim Serguei instead.He came very close to being named Augustus as his first name.I'm very glad w/ what it is now . It's perfect for him.
Do you ever get any bad comments about Augustus? That my 2 year old's middle name and everyone thinks its just awful. I love it and have always wanted to use it. He was going to be nicknamed Gus but it just didn't fit him.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post
Her name is Margaret (We always intended to call her Maggie but lately she wants to be called Margaret.) Leslie was my first choice, Audrey my second. My husband's first choice was Gabrielle. Katherine was a definite possibility. Margaret was in the running but towards the bottom. As she was born the doctors asked her name and although we hadn't really decided, they were eight weeks early, my husband screamed out "Margaret - Maggie". So it is and it suits her. Although I would love to have a Leslie, Audrey and Elliot too!
Oh, I love Margaret, too.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:54 PM

I love the name Ella, but it rhymes with the beginning of our last name.
My SIL in France practically threatened our lives if we took the name Roman for our son....as if.LOL

I like Vivian, Eveline and Lydia (my dh thinks they like old lady names).

I like Alex for a girl...but I might actually use that one. My name choices so far are Alex, Mia, Ava, Eva, Olivia, Ophelia, Pascale, Sydney and Sophia.

For a boy, they're Theo, Jacques, Henry

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 07-24-2008, 01:56 PM

Oh, I have oodles of them. Most either sound weird with our lastname, or else DH has vetoed them with both pregnancies (hey I get points for keeping on trying!)

I had the name Aidan picked out before I even met my DH, baaack in the day when I was a teen, before anyone else was using it...I heard it in England and fell in love with it. LOVED it. By them time I was pregnant with Ds1 it was already really popular, and popular is something that gets names vetoed from both DH and I.

We don't have any girls *yet* but Dh has one that he LOVES ...BUT it is really popular and has been for oh 10 years or so...I love it too but I don't know if I could bring myself to use it if it came down to that...I have my girl name picked out, again, from when I was a teenager, it is PERFECT, I have first middle and second midddle and I love all three, they sound AWESEOME together, and DH doesn't like them. SOOOO SAD! He doesn't like the first one as a first name (and I don't like it for anything but), or one of the middle names at all. Boo.

We are pretty picky about names though. We won't name our kids a name that anyone either of us have ever know anyone with. It has to not be matchy with our names, our last name, or our other kids' names. It has to be unpopular, easy to pronounce and spell. LOL.

Some of the names I've really liked and couldn't use due to DH hating them, other ppl having the same or similar names, or being too close to our last name::

Lyric, Willow, Violet, Arianna, Abriella, Gabriella, Arden, Avalon, Ava.
Toby, Ronan, Aidan, etc

We also had a name that was in the top two on our list for both sons, but it turned out it wasn't right for either of them.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:07 PM

I love Bronwyn. Ive loved it since first grade, and have brought it up with the conception of all 4 children. I have no Bronwyn.

I also love Emmeline, Genevieve, and Madeleine for girls. They have been shot down all 4 times too.

I love Garrett and Liam for boys. They have been shot down all 4 times.

I love Oliver and Sebastian, but used them for cats because they don't sound right with our last name.

I love Willow, Eden, and Ivy. DH doesn't like the nature names so much, though we do have a Lily/Lillian.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:32 PM

Nathanial.... but DH's cousin is named that, and they live right down the street. :-/ So, no-go on that one.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 PM

Oh! I thought of another one! I love the name "Araceli" for a girl but I don't have daughters and I'm not sure dh would go for it anyway.

And for boys, I also have loved "August" since I was a kid but dh vetoed it.

User Tag List