"The new man": stay at home Dads - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you know that Germany has the lowest birthrate in the world? 8 births per 1,000 people. The government there is implementing programs to encourage families to have children, including paying parents to stay at home to care for newborns. The government pays more if both parents take time to stay at home with newborns up to one year old, so there are many fathers that are staying at home with young children there.

This video is a nice documentary of the stay at home fathers in Germany, which they refer to as "the new man". (I, personally, like that a lot better than the ubiquitous "Mr. Mom" moniker we see so often.)

http://current.com/items/89141408_german_mr_moms

German Dads Jump at the Chance to Stay Home with Kids
Quote:
Designed to tackle Germany's shrinking population, the parent subsidy is worth up to 25,200 euros (18,129 pounds).

A parent taking time off work to care for a newborn is paid two-thirds of his or her net monthly salary, up to a maximum of 1,800 euros, tax-free for 12 months. The other parent can take a further two months off to extend the benefit to 14 months.

Officials expected mothers to apply for the full benefit, with fathers only joining in for the final two months.

But 20 percent of the fathers who signed up for the benefit planned to take a full year off. About 21 percent planned three to 11 months at home, and 58 percent planned two months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 05:08 PM

That's great!

I know that in Canada the stats on dads staying home with their kids have really skyrocketed since parental leave was introduced, and the benefits aren't nearly as nice as the German ones sound like they'll be.
#3 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM

My DP was a "new man" for a long time.. People gave me funny vibes about it sometimes not so much what was SAID as the "look".. I still think that SAHM are still more socially accepted..
#4 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

My dh voluntarily quit his job to be the stay at home parent and has done so, full-time, for 6 years. The last time we were in a social situation and someone asked him what does he do, he replied that he is the stay at home parent, and the woman who had asked him paused .... and then said in a kind of monotone, "Oh." Then there was an awkward pause and then she said ....

"Well, that's okay."

:

(We live in a fairly progressive university town with significant ethnic diversity in the eastern U.S.)
#5 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 05:27 PM

I think that's great!

Dh would love to be a sahd. He's got his own business so our 6 year old is with him pretty much 24/7. He was just complaining today after dropping our son off at science camp that all the moms stared at him and he was the only dad. He loves doing it though.
#6 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 05:35 PM

That's great! My brother is a SAHD.

I wonder why the birthrate is so low? Marc has talked about moving to Germany. His dad was born there, so apparently Marc is elligible for citizenship. (I don't know how it works, but that's what his dad has told him.) But before I move to a place that far away I want to know the answer to this question!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#7 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM

My DH has been a SAHD for the last 18+ months, but he was a student prior to that so no benefits. However, we have friends where the dad is in the Canadian military and he always takes the full parental leave when his kids are born because he gets 100% of his pay while on leave. It's a no-brainer.
#8 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 11:16 PM

DP might end up being one, at least part-time since he works from home and I don't.
#9 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 PM

DH and I just switched roles...I'm back at the hospital and he's embracing his tartan sling and "daddy bag"!

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#10 of 13 Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 PM

That is awesome.

My partner stays home for 4 months because that is how long his work tops up the governmental pay for parental leave, and I think it has been so great in helping me adjust postpartum, heal, and for us to get to know each other and bond as a family.

I would not have any more kids if it wasn't for that parental leave.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#11 of 13 Old 07-29-2008, 12:11 AM

I think that's fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
That's great! My brother is a SAHD.

I wonder why the birthrate is so low? Marc has talked about moving to Germany. His dad was born there, so apparently Marc is elligible for citizenship. (I don't know how it works, but that's what his dad has told him.) But before I move to a place that far away I want to know the answer to this question!
Many studies have shown that the more education a woman has, the fewer children she is likely to have. When a woman has career options, she is less likely to have many children.
http://www.aag.org/Education/center/...on3_page2.html

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#12 of 13 Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post

I wonder why the birthrate is so low? !
abortions are big there. women want to focus more on education and being career minded.

DS 5-11-06
#13 of 13 Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 AM

I think its awesome.

it is only a problem when both want to stay at home!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page