Is there a time limit on how long you give money to the homeless? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been in school for four years. For four years we've had the same homeless people, with the same story, asking for the same thing.

Bus Lady: Every day, same spot asking for bus fare to get to Pontiac (about a two hour bus ride from here.)

Soup guy: Again, same area, asking for fifty more cent to get a cup of soup. It seems like he always almost has enough

Coat Lady: Bunches of coats, regardless of the season. She asks for food and cigarettes, but rarely money.

Subway Guy: Stands outside of Subway asking for five dollars to buy a foot long.

Eighty Cent guy: He wants eighty cent. Pretty consistent about that amount, too.

I feel bad for them. I couldn't imagine living like that and thank God that I don't have to, but seriously, how long does it take before I shouldn't give them my money. I try to offer food, which people usually take and eat (with the exception of the lady who took my fresh, hot, buttery bagel, thanked me profusely, and shoved it down between the bus seats), or directions to the (many) churches and homeless shelters in a six square block area.

I'm trying to be sympathetic. We all have hard times, but how long do I have to feel sorry?

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#2 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sure there's a limit. The moment it doesn't feel right to me. I give if I can do it and not feel exploited and if I want to. It's that simple. If I don't I at least look them in the eye and say no, or nod at them. My one rule, for myself, is that I will acknowledge someone who speaks to me, asks me for something... even if I choose not to give it to them.
#3 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 02:28 PM

I don't feel sorry for people who lie. If they were legitimately sympathetic, they wouldn't lie to me to play on my sympathies.

Once I was at a mall, eating in the food court, and this guy came up and had a story about his car broke down and he needed bus fare to get to... somewhere, don't remember where, but he said where it was... and all he'd managed to get from everyone was a quarter (which he displayed... what, earnest money?)

So, I pulled out a token for the bus system in the area. I explained to him that the token plus the quarter would get him boarded with an interagency transfer to another bus that would get him to his destination. I told him exactly which buses to use and where to catch them.

An hour later, he tried to get me with the same story.

I don't give people money. Well, unless they have a really awesome sign or something. Like, I did give a dollar to the guy sitting on the curb holding a cardboard sign in his lap that said "I have to hold this sign to hide my erection." It was in a heavily-trafficked outdoor mall area, so it wasn't creepy, just hilarious. Another time I think I gave a quarter to a guy whose sign said "Homeless 25 cents please." It struck me as really funny, like, "Just 25 cents puts a homeless person on YOUR corner all afternoon!"

If the sign says "God bless" I do nothing. When I do something, it's because I believe in people, not to rack up points with the great beyond.

I have bought people lunch a bunch of times. Once a guy was begging in a strip mall. One of those enthusiastic, outgoing, but clearly homeless guys. Well-spoken, sense of humor, all that. I told him I had no cash on me, I'm sorry, and went to get my lunch. I also ordered a combo for him, and paid for it all on my credit card. As I walked back by, he held his hands out toward my food and jokingly said, "Thank you!" I said, "No, *this* one's yours" and held out the bag in my other hand. His whole demeanor changed; he was actually kind of flustered I think, but was chowing down before I was past him. ;-)

That's far from the only time, but it was one of the more fun ones.

My mom always said, "I don't have enough money to let someone else decide how it's spent." I agree with that. So I will buy food, but I won't give cash. And I have no sympathy left for people with "a story."
#4 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned

yes, there are limits. but, they'll vary for everyone.
#5 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 02:47 PM

I'm a huge cynic. That's why I give donations to homeless shelters, food pantries, etc. If people need help, they should get it, but they're selling you a story, my friend. They're using the money to buy booze or drugs. I don't need to finance that. Sure, it's a low-level con, and if it's a good story, you might be OK with financing creativity. But do know that it's a story.

You could find out a bit more about the shelters/day centers in your area. Some require people to be sober when using their services, others don't. You can give to whichever one you feel will do the most good for the people who are panhandling.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#6 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
I'm a huge cynic. That's why I give donations to homeless shelters, food pantries, etc. If people need help, they should get it, but they're selling you a story, my friend. They're using the money to buy booze or drugs. I don't need to finance that. Sure, it's a low-level con, and if it's a good story, you might be OK with financing creativity. But do know that it's a story.
:

I agree with this, my sister and BIL used to work at a homeless shelter as well. What she says sadly IS generally the case. And, they can make a whole lots of $$$ for booze or drugs panhandling.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#7 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 PM

When I was working in the city I would offer them a clean blanket or some of my lunch,Take it or leave it. I worked for a large ambulance company so it was easy to get blankies. And I always had extra food. I don't give money.

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#8 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 03:28 PM

I was homeless at one time and I didn't beg on the streets. There are ways of getting proper help.

Having said that, I do help people from time to time if I can spare it.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#9 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
I have bought people lunch a bunch of times. Once a guy was begging in a strip mall. One of those enthusiastic, outgoing, but clearly homeless guys. Well-spoken, sense of humor, all that. I told him I had no cash on me, I'm sorry, and went to get my lunch. I also ordered a combo for him, and paid for it all on my credit card. As I walked back by, he held his hands out toward my food and jokingly said, "Thank you!" I said, "No, *this* one's yours" and held out the bag in my other hand. His whole demeanor changed; he was actually kind of flustered I think, but was chowing down before I was past him. ;-)

That story is awesome.

With the bus token guy, I would've loudly asked "what you already messed up taking the bus? I just gave you a token an hour ago, and directions, what is wrong with..." as he retreated to an area where the marks hadn't overheard that he was full of it.
#10 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I gave money to the early 20-something guy with a sign saying, "I'm not going to lie, I want some pot." Other than that I don't give money to panhandlers. I will give them food, no problem. I give money to charities because then I know that it will be spent in a way I agree with. (I research my charities.)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#11 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 03:46 PM

Most of the time I prefer to donate to agencies who can actually help with life needs.

There are a few people I occassionally do give money to. I used to live downtown, and knew many of the regulars by sight and sometimes names. The people whom seem to have some other reason than addiction or lack of motivation, I will give to. They've usually got something going on upstairs, aren't treatable or aren't treated, and are generally harmless.

One of the guys that sells papers, I know he is down there by choice. I dated his son. He's a real estate agent. A computer programmer. Has a PhD in psychology. He is there by choice. I don't give him money for his paper, but I'll stop by when I see him and chat about how the grandkids are doing.
#12 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 03:51 PM

My dh's story: One day he was going to run into Blockbuster, and he heard a woman calling to him from across the (busy 5 lane!) street. He's thinking 'oh, here we go' and probably rolling his eyes, thinking what story am I going to here today for a handout. She runs across the street toward him, and asks if she could have $5 to feed her grandson at McD's. Just as he was going to answer her, he noticed that she didn't have any hands. !!!!!!! He took $5 out of his pocket, and she asked if he could put it in her pocket for her. And she thanked him and ran back across the street to McD's. That was definately the first time that he didn't feel irritated after giving someone $.
#13 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 03:55 PM

I used to work in downtown Chicago. On my walk between the train station and the building I worked in, I have seen every single scam there is and have heard every possible sob story you can imagine.

I used to give a few bucks to an older lady in the Loop because I know she would go into the 7-11 around the corner and buy instant lotterey tickets (I watched her do it once). Something about her doing that made me smile, so I was happy to give her the money for the scratch-offs.

Also in Chicago, you can purchase coupons through http://www.chicagoshares.org/ to pass out to homeless people that can be used at pharmacies, some restaurants, etc, but they cannot be redeemed for cigs or alcohol. I remember giving out one of these to a panhandler on the Lyric Opera bridge and he crumpled it up and threw it into the river. I dunno. Maybe he couldn't read what was written on it.

If I had extra time, I used to sit and talk with a guy who sits on a bench on Wacker Drive overlooking the river. He sold Streetwise. I asked him once why he was homeless, and he said it was his choice. He had freedom, and people like me who "work for the man" don't. I guess he has a point. One Christmas I bought him a liter of Canadian Club because I noticed he always had a bottle of the off-brand. He was a cool guy. He sang and never bothered anyone.
#14 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 04:46 PM

I gave $10 to a girl who looked like she desperately needed it. She ran it over to what looked like her pimp. I don't give money any more.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#15 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sometimes I give, sometimes I don't. It depends on the feeling I get from the situation. I have had "regulars" near my job or on my way to school that I give to everysingletime and a few I skip because I just get a bad feeling. Anyone aggressive, hostile, or demanding can forget it because I don't want to engage anyone that seems like they might go off.
#16 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
I gave $10 to a girl who looked like she desperately needed it. She ran it over to what looked like her pimp. I don't give money any more.
Well, you might have saved her from a beating. Those "men" often don't care where the money comes from, just so long as the amount they want goes into their pocket.
#17 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 05:17 PM

for us it depends on the circumstance. Dh gave money to a girl "who's car broke down, and she had no gas." he saw her jump into a guys car and drive off. We see her evry now and then. She will not get money.

I give food sometimes, which is different then money. I did give a guy money who told me honestly he wanted alcahol. I appreciated his honesty.

as for your situation, some of them i would continue to help out, others I wouldn't.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#18 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'll donate to reliable charities, but very very rarely will I give cash directly to somebody who asks for it on the street.

I remember once, on the train home from college, a person sitting near me had an "off peak" ticket and not enough cash to upgrade it for the 'peak" time we were traveling. I gladly gave her a dollar so she'd have enough. I could easily afford it and she needed it.

I've donated clothes, housewares, and food to organizations, and clothing and housewares directly to individuals who needed them.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#19 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
Has anyone read A Fine Balance? It's been awhile, so my memory is a little fuzzy, but it takes place in India and part of the story revolves around a character in something like a beggar-ring, controlled by a Beggarmaster, who finds locations for beggars and protects their turf from beggars in other beggar-rings. He gets a large cut of their earnings. They have to pay. It's kind of like the mob. Anyway, I sometimes suspect that something like that is going on in my area, because I see a pattern in where they locate, like they are rotating street corners.
#20 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 05:59 PM

I don't give to people that ask me, I'll donate to agencies I've looked into.
#21 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 06:36 PM

I don't discriminate among homeless people. If they ask and I have some extra change, I give. My assumption is that if they're willing to beg a stranger on the street for money, they probably need it in one way or another.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#22 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 PM

I once gave 20 bucks to a mother that was living in a car with her little girl. Don't really care if it was a scam, as I had more than enough money at that point in my life, and I could easily afford it. That's the most I've just handed out though.
#23 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM

I really don't have a problem with what the money goes to when I give it. As far as how long does it take, well, some people will always live on the streets, especially if they are mentally ill. They may not even be obviously mentally ill, but don't have the capacity to clean up and hold down a job and pay bills.
#24 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM

I was discussing this kind of topic the other day..

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=tears
#25 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 07:17 PM

I once had a previous student that worked at Taco Bell. He said there was a guy begging with a sign outside his work MOST days of the week. One really windy day, his sign goes blowing down the road, so my student ran after the sign and was walking back with it to put it somewhere safer. Some guy pulled over and gave him $20.
#26 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My MIL encountered a guy asking for money, outside a grocery store. She offered him a loaf of bread and bottle of peanut butter. He declined.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#27 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 PM

I donate money and clothing to homeless shelters and sometimes money on the street. It really depends on the situation.

I've offered food before and been turned down many times so I finally stopped doing that and just gave money.

I've noticed too how different homeless people can be in different parts of the world...some don't want food, only money. Some are clearly mentally ill. Some are drunk. Some are agressive. Some look like it might be a temporary thing.
#28 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
I don't feel sorry for people who lie. If they were legitimately sympathetic, they wouldn't lie to me to play on my sympathies.

Once I was at a mall, eating in the food court, and this guy came up and had a story about his car broke down and he needed bus fare to get to... somewhere, don't remember where, but he said where it was... and all he'd managed to get from everyone was a quarter (which he displayed... what, earnest money?)

So, I pulled out a token for the bus system in the area. I explained to him that the token plus the quarter would get him boarded with an interagency transfer to another bus that would get him to his destination. I told him exactly which buses to use and where to catch them.

An hour later, he tried to get me with the same story.

I don't give people money. Well, unless they have a really awesome sign or something. Like, I did give a dollar to the guy sitting on the curb holding a cardboard sign in his lap that said "I have to hold this sign to hide my erection." It was in a heavily-trafficked outdoor mall area, so it wasn't creepy, just hilarious. Another time I think I gave a quarter to a guy whose sign said "Homeless 25 cents please." It struck me as really funny, like, "Just 25 cents puts a homeless person on YOUR corner all afternoon!"

If the sign says "God bless" I do nothing. When I do something, it's because I believe in people, not to rack up points with the great beyond.

My mom always said, "I don't have enough money to let someone else decide how it's spent." I agree with that. So I will buy food, but I won't give cash. And I have no sympathy left for people with "a story."
Can I just say, I think I you...those are great stories, I just wish you'd walked past me a few times when I was preggo and cold and wishing I had any other way to get some food in my belly then asking strangers if they had any change!

And for me, personally, having lived on the streets, that's pretty much my criteria for helping people out. I'll give change if they're doing something other than sitting there asking (making music, telling jokes, selling poems, carving, I care not, just do something other than beg) and I love bringing out a hot healthy meal if I've got the $$ to spare and they're being polite and cheerful while they hit people up for some help
#29 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 08:12 PM

I'm glad y'all enjoy the stories. ;-)

Another thing to think about with "regulars." If they're obviously scamming, you don't want them around. They're opportunists who have a low level of respect for people. That's the sort of person who, if they see you drop your wallet, isn't going to run after you and tell you; they'll wait until you're around the corner, then check for cash, and then turn it in. :-/ It's not necessarily a bad idea to call the cops on them.

But, for the honest folks who just have their home corner, be nice to them. Give them food. Talk to them. Even if they're not that coherent (just so long as they aren't ranting angrily). Why? Because if you're ever in trouble, if something happens, if there's a car accident or a break-in or whatever... they're eyes on the street. They are humans who you want on your team.

I just remembered another guy, who I used to see all the time on a pedestrian bridge between where I worked and a mall where I usually ate lunch. He'd sorta tease me about always reading while walking. ;-) We'd chat a bit; he thought it was actually kind of cool that I was always reading. He was clearly someone with a brain in his head (which may have had some organizational difficulties that led to his living situation).

So when our office was about to move, I wanted to do something for him. So I bought him a copy of the first Harry Potter book. For one, because it's a darned good book. For another, because it's a pretty easy reading level, and I didn't know how much formal education he'd had or how literate he was, but figured he *probably* could handle it. But finally, I told him about how JK Rowling was destitute when she wrote the book (well, I told the story as I knew it, which was that she was homeless... but that, it turns out, is an exaggeration), and it turned her life around practically overnight. So it seemed appropriate.

He didn't seem *that* overjoyed with my gift ;-) but whatever. Maybe he read it and it made a few hours go by quicker. Maybe he pitched it or passed it on to someone else who enjoyed it. I still had fun giving it to him!
#30 of 36 Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM

I don't usually give money. The last time I did I really regretted it, I was approached by a girl at a gas station saying her and her friends were out of gas and couldn't get home. She started selling me a sob story about needing like $30 bucks, I gave her $2 to get her to leave me alone and they were gone in the blink of an eye. I really felt stupid for not just telling her no, she was clearly a drug addict, but with 2 kids needing the potty and a long road trip, $2 seemed easier somehow. However it still irks me.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page