Locks of Love? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I grew my hair for years before and all during my pregnancy with DD1. I got it cut last year very short with the intentions of sending it to Locks of Love. However, some AP mamas told me not to send it because they often sell the hair. I went to the website and it says that any hair shorter than 10 inches, or that is gray will be sold to offset costs. So, it seems like my hair will be usable in an actual hairpiece for someone. I don't have a problem with them selling hair that they can't use in hairpieces that they make. However, I would be devastated if mine were sold. This hair means alot to me, and I want it used for the purpose I had intended. If it is sold, I'd rather be the one to do that. Anyone know anything about this, or have experience in donating hair?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 4 Old 08-01-2008, 05:22 PM

here is a link to a really old thread about them. im sure you can find most of what you are looking for here.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=locks+of+love
#3 of 4 Old 08-01-2008, 05:42 PM

There's another hair charity, I think it's sponsored by Pantene. you could google it, try them.

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#4 of 4 Old 08-01-2008, 11:31 PM

You could donate to Wigs For Kids...similar to locks of love but with a better reputation .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page