I'm stalling.. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH is going to lance my toe after I'm done putting our daughter to bed. It's full of puss (in grown nail I suppose?), and it HURTS. DD accidentaly stepped on it tonight and I nearly went through the roof. I just want to relieve the pressure. But I'm not in a hurry. I think I'm gunna have me a big ole rum and coke first.

I think I'm going to video tape it. Because I'm wierd like that.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
DH is going to lance my toe after I'm done putting our daughter to bed. It's full of puss (in grown nail I suppose?), and it HURTS. DD accidentaly stepped on it tonight and I nearly went through the roof. I just want to relieve the pressure. But I'm not in a hurry. I think I'm gunna have me a big ole rum and coke first.

I think I'm going to video tape it. Because I'm wierd like that.
Definitely have the rum-n-coke...or just a big ol' RUM.

Definitely videotape it, you never know. you might do or say something really funny and win $10K.
#3 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna View Post

Definitely videotape it, you never know. you might do or say something really funny and win $10K.
: Could be well worth it!!!

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie

#4 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna View Post

Like squirt puss on the lens? Great now I'm going to be like "honey, move over a bit, you're blocking my shot". And he'll be like "what shot?". And I'll be like "the money shot, where I shoot puss at the camera, could be worth 10 grand".

#5 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 11:33 PM

Well this won't win you any money, but people post puss videos on youtube all the time. I find it fascinating.
#6 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Pics?
Try soaking it in hot water first- might make it easier to lance.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#7 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 11:40 PM

:
#8 of 42 Old 08-02-2008, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Good luck, brave mama! (And post the video!! )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to four wonderful people: dd11, dd8, ds5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and brand new dd 07/23
#9 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:07 AM
MCR

Good luck. I did my own one time, soaked in the hottest water I could stand first. The pain was worth it.
#10 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:09 AM

Hey, I just had to do that the other night! It was ewww so gross, and sooo good.

computergeek2.gif

#11 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:16 AM

This post cracked me up. I had been agonized over having some stitches removed from my finger (having them put in hurt like HELL-mostly the anesthetic injections). I rescheduled my appointment several times. It literally did not hurt at all. I laughed the entire time because I had got myself so worked up. You'll be fine. Some things have to be done. I would definitely do the rum and coke though LOL.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#12 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
Well this won't win you any money, but people post puss videos on youtube all the time. I find it fascinating.

Ahem. Pus (as in the infected liquidy gook) is one "s". Two "s"s is something entirely different.

Sorry, the spelling police could NOT let that slide.

Anyway, I perform surgery on my own ingrown toenails. I once pulled out a piece of nail so jagged I couldn't believe it was in my toe. Cleared right up once I had dug it out. But, YE-OUCH!
#13 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still stalling. I don't want to do it.

#14 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Well this won't win you any money, but people post puss videos on youtube all the time.

Mom to a bright & energetic 6 y.o. boy  blahblah.gif   With my sweetie for 10 years now  blowkiss.gif  Registered nurse  caffix.gif

#15 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:29 AM

Have you had that rum and coke?
#16 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:38 AM

If it IS an ingrown toenail, the easiest thing to do is pick your toenail in the middle of your toe and peel it off toward the infected area...it's going to hurt, but, it's also going to open the skin. It may also allow you to get to the piece of nail that is causing the pain.

Now, with an area that sore, what *I* would do is the peel the toe nail, relieve some of the pressure, but give it a day to dry out. Then, tomorrow, the skin around (that's so tender now) will be a little less tender, and you can peel that back...some of that will probably be attached to the offending nail. This is where tweezers are SO valuable. Use the tweezers to grab whatever sliver of nail you can, and pull on it...not necessarily out yet...back and forth to work a little more of the area open. Then (this will hurt) get the tweezers in a little deeper and clamp down tight...try to gently pull the nail outward a bit more...DON'T bend it at this point, though, because if you break it, you're screwed for a bit. However, moving it around is useful as it will help detach where all the skin has grown onto it. If it won't pull out, you may need to get rid of more skin (not necessarily detaching it, but displacing it so you can get deeper on the nail). If it is very very stubborn, soak your toe in some salt water to soften stuff up (but not too soft or, agian, the nail will break). Eventually, you will dig down far enough to get a good hold on the nail, and enough leverage to yank that sucker out. Once it's out, whatever antiseptic/antibiotic/etc you use.

I get an ingrown toe nail once or twice a year, and this always works, although it may take a couple of hours the second night.
#17 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyann21 View Post
LOL leave me alone. PUS PUS PUS. One S. Lord.
#18 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd View Post
Have you had that rum and coke?
Outta rum. Nursing a glass of cheap disgusting wine that a house guest left behind last month. Marinating my toe in topical numbing cream.

I think my heart is going to stop. Seriously. This is why I don't go to the doctor. I needed to get a follow up appointment for my knee where they were TALKING about draining it, not definite, just a maybe, and I never went.

Needles scare the crap out.

#19 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't forget to tell us all the details on the gross out thread (or at least put a link back to this thread)! Can't wait to hear how it goes. I hope you feel better when it's done.
#20 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
If it IS an ingrown toenail, the easiest thing to do is pick your toenail in the middle of your toe and peel it off toward the infected area...it's going to hurt, but, it's also going to open the skin. It may also allow you to get to the piece of nail that is causing the pain.

Now, with an area that sore, what *I* would do is the peel the toe nail, relieve some of the pressure, but give it a day to dry out. Then, tomorrow, the skin around (that's so tender now) will be a little less tender, and you can peel that back...some of that will probably be attached to the offending nail. This is where tweezers are SO valuable. Use the tweezers to grab whatever sliver of nail you can, and pull on it...not necessarily out yet...back and forth to work a little more of the area open. Then (this will hurt) get the tweezers in a little deeper and clamp down tight...try to gently pull the nail outward a bit more...DON'T bend it at this point, though, because if you break it, you're screwed for a bit. However, moving it around is useful as it will help detach where all the skin has grown onto it. If it won't pull out, you may need to get rid of more skin (not necessarily detaching it, but displacing it so you can get deeper on the nail). If it is very very stubborn, soak your toe in some salt water to soften stuff up (but not too soft or, agian, the nail will break). Eventually, you will dig down far enough to get a good hold on the nail, and enough leverage to yank that sucker out. Once it's out, whatever antiseptic/antibiotic/etc you use.

I get an ingrown toe nail once or twice a year, and this always works, although it may take a couple of hours the second night.
I did all this probably 3 or 4 days ago. It wasn't infected or anything then, just sore and there was obviously something in there. I did just like you said, I peeled the nail back and used some teezers and got what I thought was the offending piece out, it bled a bit, I cleaned it out, and it was fine. When I woke up it was sore, and everyday it has gotten sorer and sorer. Today there is an obvious pus pocket, it's all yellow. Gross, I know.

I'm hoping if I let the pus out and the inflamation goes down, I can feel around to see what's going on. But I can't even touch it right now.

#21 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 AM
MCR

:
#22 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 01:11 AM

Just keep drinking. Maybe put it on ice? That's the ol' school way for knocking back bad wine. Ok, it's actually the high school way but who wants to admit that?
Can you send DH out for some decent booze? They now have a variety half rack of mike's hard lemonades. The cranberry one is still my favorite.

You'll be ok and once he's had a stab at it you'll feel lots better!
#23 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 AM

I came pretty darn close to puking in my mouth when I read this thread. Pus is so disgusting. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARF!
#24 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I did all this probably 3 or 4 days ago. It wasn't infected or anything then, just sore and there was obviously something in there. I did just like you said, I peeled the nail back and used some teezers and got what I thought was the offending piece out, it bled a bit, I cleaned it out, and it was fine. When I woke up it was sore, and everyday it has gotten sorer and sorer. Today there is an obvious pus pocket, it's all yellow. Gross, I know.

I'm hoping if I let the pus out and the inflamation goes down, I can feel around to see what's going on. But I can't even touch it right now.

oooh, I bet it's a bicornate nail.

Those are evil. :
#25 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 01:41 AM

Eeewwwww!!!!!!!!
#26 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 01:48 AM

You people are freaking me out with all the talk about peeling toenails back and digging the tweezers in and working stuff out... I had an ingrown toenail ONCE (when I was a kid) and I had to go to a doctor to have the nail removed, and I was not brave about it. Thank goodness I have never had to perform the horrific operations on myself that you women have! I don't think I could do it.
#27 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
oooh, I bet it's a bicornate nail.

Those are evil. :
I'm affraid to google that.

On the other hand. It's done! And it still hurts like hell. The pressure is gone, but it still hurts.

I guess if it's no better on Monday I'll go see someone. :

#28 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Is the video up yet???
#29 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
Is the video up yet???
I have to see if it's worth posting. I abandoned it part way through because I couldn't hold my foot in position and record at the same time. I'll check.

#30 of 42 Old 08-03-2008, 02:47 AM

Quote:
I have to see if it's worth posting. I abandoned it part way through because I couldn't hold my foot in position and record at the same time. I'll check.
I'm over here dying. I can't believe that you were serious about taping it. Ewwwwww!

But PM me when it's up!

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page