Misconceptions about where you live - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

#181 of 329 Old 08-21-2008, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTlover View Post
I am from Louisiana.

No, we are not all Cajun, and most of the state has no relation to New Orleans culture.

Very few of us have alligators in our backyards.
When I lived in Orlando, FL, we got a notice at my apartment complex to keep kids and pets out of our drainage ditch because a gator had been spotted there.

So I sorta did have a gator in my backyard not too far removed from you.

for intuitive readings click here :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 329 Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd View Post

Interesting side note: DS's kindergarten teacher is named Mrs. Hatfield. I asked her if she is related to the Hatfields from the famous Hatfield and McCoy feud, and she is! By marriage - her husband is the Hatfield. So we are living the stereotype, down here in Kentucky.
Cool! I'm related to her by marriage somewhere along the line. Genealogy is all verbal. I'm working w/ my dad on getting it written down.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#183 of 329 Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 PM

I used to live in Kansas City, Missouri and surrounding vicinity. Yes, there is a Kansas City on the Kansas side of the state line, but the main part of KC is in Missouri. So no, the sports teams are not from Kansas. People would always seem surprised to find out that there was a city with the same name in Missouri.

I live in Southern Oregon now. Not sure if I pronounce it right..... I go with the Oreghun sound. But no, not every place in Oregon gets lots of rain, clouds and cold. In fact, it is quite sunny and moderate here most times (last weekend excluded!)

#184 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
I'm in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, everything you've heard is true. Please, someone, get me out of here.

That. Except that Lancaster is "Lank-ster." It rhymes with "gangster." I know it's "LAN-kas-ster" everywhere else. We're just special like that.

Oh, and we're not all Amish out here in Lancaster. I always get this look: : when I tell people there's a sizeable Jewish community in Lancaster. And then "wait, I thought Lancaster was AMISH country" - as if we couldn't possibly live in the same area.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#185 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 AM

I live in NY state, not anywhere NEAR NYC. It's a big state people. And we, that live here, call it upstate.....near Lake Ontario, Buffalo, Rochester.....but it seems other states refer to this as Western NY, and upstate is to the far east of the state where the mountains are. ??? Guess I don't know where I live.
#186 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
I think this is something that happens everywhere, though. Could be I'm wrong, but I'm guessing Appalachia didn't invent it. The only person I know who is in a relationship with a first cousin was from... I don't remember. Great Lakes region, somewhere
Good gravy, I hope Appalachia didn't invent it! I'm sure it goes on everywhere, maybe people are just more open about it here. Who knows
#187 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelle-a-tron View Post
Well I am in the pacific northwest, eastern washington specifically & people either confuse us with seattles misconceptions & think it rains all the time & that we are uber-hippie recycling machines or they confuse us with north Idahos redneck misconceptions & think we are a bunch of gun toting lynyrd skynyrd listening hillbillys.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/jamies...ml?source=mypi

http://werealotlikeyou.com/
OMG.. I LOVE the "we're a lot like you" commercials. My family ARE the blue tarp campers. The first time I saw that I was like, wait, doesn't everyone do that?!

I live about an hour from Vancouver and I haven't gone there in over three years. I never ventured into the city as a child unless we were going on field trips.
#188 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:35 AM

Oh, and just wanted to add:

I grew up in Cincinnati. We think of ourselves as a little southern and a lot midwest. Also, if you fly into Cincinnati/NKY Airport, you are in Kentucky. Nobody believes me when I tell them that. And Cincy (as you've heard from the other Ohioans) is NOTHING like the rest of the state. Ohio is actually relatively progressive. Except Cincinnati. There's a famous Mark Twain quote that lots of people insert their city/state into but was actually about Cincinnati - "When the world ends, I would like to be in Cincinnati, because it's always 20 years behind the times." And it's true. I mean, heck, we had race riots in 2001.

Oh, and for the people who knew this stuff (other Ohioans, that is): no, I don't hate black people, no, I don't hate Kentuckians or West Virginians, but yeah, Cleveland will always be the "mistake by the lake." At least OUR body of water never caught on fire! :

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#189 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post

That. Except that Lancaster is "Lank-ster." It rhymes with "gangster." I know it's "LAN-kas-ster" everywhere else. We're just special like that.
Ah, I did not know that. I actually thought it was LANK-uhster. I guess I like adding syllables.
#190 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 AM

Well, there is a natural "uh" sound as you transition from the k to the s, if you pronounce both letters. So, you kind of can't help it. You can downplay it, but it just won't go away.

In order to really confuse the tourists, you have to drop entire syllables, so that Worcester is pronounced Wooster.
#191 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd View Post
Interesting side note: DS's kindergarten teacher is named Mrs. Hatfield. I asked her if she is related to the Hatfields from the famous Hatfield and McCoy feud, and she is! By marriage - her husband is the Hatfield. So we are living the stereotype, down here in Kentucky.
When I lived in Virginia I worked with a McCoy of the Hatfield and McCoy's.

She was very nice.
#192 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
People assume everyone here is fundamental xian, so not true, this may be the bible belt but there are plenty of pagan folks around here.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids 17, 11, 6, 3
#193 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Oh, and for the people who knew this stuff (other Ohioans, that is): no, I don't hate black people, no, I don't hate Kentuckians or West Virginians, but yeah, Cleveland will always be the "mistake by the lake." At least OUR body of water never caught on fire! :
It was the Cuyahoga river, not the lake. It caught on fire a lot. So did other rivers nearby oil refineries. My husband's writing his dissertation on it. Well, the river and Standard Oil, so yeah, the river catching on fire. But now we have cool stuff like Burning River beer, Burning River Roller Girls, and the Burning River Festival. That's pretty awesome.

What's not awesome is the steel factory. yuck.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#194 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 02:48 AM

I live in an area that used to be associated with Farm Land ... but now its all mostly regular subdivisons with 5000 sq ft lots and even smaller ...

WHen we tell people where we live they assume we have acreage and have cows and chickens in our backyard .... LOL ....
#195 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 03:10 AM

Yes, I live in Iowa and I used to live in Indiana.

No, I do not live on a farm, in fact I have never been to a farm.

No, I do not like pork tenderloins, I don't care what the Travel Channel/Food Network say about Midwesterners and pork.

obstruct livery vehicles

#196 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 05:14 AM

I was born and raised in Philly. Thankfully, I've moved out to Southern CA. Yes, I'd say about 60% of what is said about Philly is true. But, if I hear you say it, it's your friggin' head! But, here's the thing:

1. We don't eat cheesesteaks every day.
2. We don't do the Rocky climb up the Art Museum steps. Only tourists do that.
3. No, we don't considered those that live outside of the city Philadelphians (unless you were born and raised in the city); otherwise, you are from that area. No, we are not particularly fond of those from South Jersey, lol.

As previously mentioned, I now live in Southern CA. Yes, everything said is true, lol. How I married my native Southern CA hubby is something else entirely!
#197 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 07:09 AM

I grew up in CT, and it seems that some people think that everyone from CT is white and rich.
#198 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 AM

We don't wear kilts on a regular basis.

We don't eat Haggis reguarly either.

We don't drink Whisky constantly.

We aren't mean with money, quite the opposite.

We aren't all aggressive.

We don't all hate English people.
#199 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 AM

I grew up on Long Island. 2 words. It is not Laaawnguyland.

Now I live in New Jersey. I do not have big hair. I do not know anyone with big hair. It is called the Garden state for a reason. Granted I am in crowded Bergen County but it is not a toxic garage dump. And I have no idea what exit I am.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#200 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 AM

I'm in Queensland Australia... Depending on whether I say just Australia or Qld as well I get:

Oh, near the Great Barrier Reef (um is 1000km 'near'? Australia = really big lol)

Are you from Sydney? (nup, there are other cities here ..)

Assumptions that we all say g'day mate! all the time (ok, guilty as charged lol)

Assumptions that I'm a hot mama who spends all summer in a bikini & sarong
lounging on the most beautiful beaches... (guilty again.. except the beaches lol)

assumptions that it never gets cold here.. it was near freezing a week or so ago, and down south it snows & people ski even .

No, I do not live in the outback hehehe

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#201 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 10:05 AM

nevermind
#202 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by segata View Post
I'm in SE Ohio,near WV and KY.Even people in other parts of OH think we're from WV or KY because apparently 'we talk funny'

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#203 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#204 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 AM

I haven't encountered people with misconceptions about Illinois--they know it's Chicago, suburbs of Chicago and small towns and then miles and miles of corn.

People might make assumptions about me based on where I live--Very-Republican-Town, Illinois, but then they see me, and I look a little hippieish, so they know there are some alternative minded folks that live in my town. There are a few of us here.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#205 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyhips26 View Post
anyway i grew up near Philly and went to school out in Western PA (Indiana, PA anyone?) and even within the same state there are misconceptions....like all people from PGH take off on for 1st day of Deer (hunting) season...and all people living in the suburbs of Philly are rich (neither are true of course!)
IUP?! I went to Edinboro. And I grew up in Erie, where school actually is closed on the first day of deer season!
#206 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 PM

I lived in Kansas City, Missouri for over 10 years. When I tell people that I'm from Kansas City EVERYONE, and I mean everyone believes KC is in Kansas. When I tell them that the majority of KC proper is in Missouri they are dumbfounded. Hello people, it's on the state line.

I also get the Wizard of Oz comments all the time too. No I don't know Dorothy, no there aren't any lions running around without courage, no my house didn't blow away. Haha, yes funny joke; I've never heard that one before.

I live in Florida now and when I go back home, to MISSOURI, everyone is astounded that I don't have a dark tan. WTF? Just because I live in Florida doesn't mean that I lay out at the beach every day. Besides, Scottish descent...hello? No tan ever gonna happen.
#207 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I lived in Kansas City, Missouri for over 10 years. When I tell people that I'm from Kansas City EVERYONE, and I mean everyone believes KC is in Kansas. When I tell them that the majority of KC proper is in Missouri they are dumbfounded. Hello people, it's on the state line.

I also get the Wizard of Oz comments all the time too. No I don't know Dorothy, no there aren't any lions running around without courage, no my house didn't blow away. Haha, yes funny joke; I've never heard that one before.

I live in Florida now and when I go back home, to MISSOURI, everyone is astounded that I don't have a dark tan. WTF? Just because I live in Florida doesn't mean that I lay out at the beach every day. Besides, Scottish descent...hello? No tan ever gonna happen.

I grew up in S.FL. and most people I knew stayed in doors a lot because it's so freakin' hot and humid. Not to say we didn't do things outside, but it was mostly late afternoon, early evening, etc. I rarely had a tan. We knew better.
#208 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
I grew up in S.FL. and most people I knew stayed in doors a lot because it's so freakin' hot and humid. Not to say we didn't do things outside, but it was mostly late afternoon, early evening, etc. I rarely had a tan. We knew better.
Makes for easy tourist spotting.
#209 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM

I was born & raised in Sioux City Iowa & I don't like pork either.

I did live on a farm though in westfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
Yes, I live in Iowa and I used to live in Indiana.

No, I do not live on a farm, in fact I have never been to a farm.

No, I do not like pork tenderloins, I don't care what the Travel Channel/Food Network say about Midwesterners and pork.
#210 of 329 Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Makes for easy tourist spotting.

Not to mention when you saw a convertible in a parking lot with the roof left down. Obviously didn't know yet about the out of the blue afternoon Fla. sunshowers.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page