S/O: Do you think gum is gross? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm surprised people actually by mint gum when there are so many other terrific flavors. i don't think i've ever bought mint gum.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysmom617 View Post
Put me down for hatin' it, for exactly every single reason the OP mentioned. I also hate smelling it on some one's breath. I've taken the time to ponder why that is. I guess it's because most people's breath you can't really smell. If they didn't have gum, and were talking to you, you'd not know you were breathing in some one's breath. But if, say, my mom is in the car talking, and then the whole car becomes filled with "minty freshness" I know the air I"m breathing is her breath. That, for some strange reason, squicks me out.

But then again, I'm just weird like that.
Yes, I know exactly what you mean! But I'm funny about things like that. I don't like aftershave/perfume for the same reasons, I really don't like being able to "smell" people at all, even if the smell is technically "nice" :
#33 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not a lot of people chew gum around me, so I am not sure how I feel about other people doing it.

For me, I carry a pack in my purse, but I only chew gum once in a great while. Usually after eating something that I know will make my breath smell bad. I can't do the mints thing because I will just compusivley eat them, so gum is the better option at that point.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#34 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 01:21 AM

I hate gum. It creeps and grosses me out. All of the smells are gross, too strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
No I don't hate it if it's not smacked or chewed like cud Popping gum drives me nuts.
How exactly can a person chew gum without it being like a cud? I've never seen that one pulled off. But then, I've had dairy goats so I've seen a lot of actual cud chewing.
#35 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You're weird. I love gum. :

I think bad breath is much grosser than gum.
#36 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 02:54 AM

It's like eating to me. I don't want to see food in a person's mouth. I also don't want to see their chewed up gum. So, I don't care if people chew gum with their mouths closed. But, if I can see it - it's disgusting.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#37 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
You're weird. I love gum. :

I think bad breath is much grosser than gum.
I prefer not to smell someone's breath at all. Bad breath is yucky, but minty breath isn't much better IMO. But then, I do have a stong aversion to mint. Don't ask me why, I've always been this way. Even brushing my teeth makes me gag. I've got a HUGE problem with it.
#38 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 08:08 AM

I find gum disgusting. Even the thought of it grosses me out.
#39 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 AM

Gum is a major irrational pet peeve of mine. I hate not only the sound of the smacking but the smell and even sight of people's jaws bobbing up and down rhythmically even when they are polite enough to chew with closed mouths (open mouth is even grosser obviously). Regardless it makes me think of cows chewing cud. Ew. DH insists on chewing it now and then and I leave the room until he's done, and I glare at him until he gets rid of it when he's stubborn enough to chew it in the car.
#40 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 09:14 AM

I love gum!

And, mint is my preferred flavor.

I won't rechew, tho. Once it's out of my mouth, it goes in the trash.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#41 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't like gum, but I like mints.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and '14!)  
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#42 of 42 Old 08-24-2008, 12:19 PM

I have a serious gum addiction. I buy it in bulk at Costco. I always have gum, usually mint. I have anxiety, and something about chewing gum helps me calm down if I'm having a panic attack, especially in public. Mint also helps settle upset stomachs, and I got through many long months of morning sickness by popping a piece of mint gum in my mouth.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page