If your water broke before ctx started, did you have - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: If your water broke before any ctx, did you have...
Someone sweep your membranes 5 100.00%
Someone break your water (on purpose or by accident) 3 75.00%
Some other intervention that might have caused your water to break 6 100.00%
Nobody messed with my bag of waters in any way 56 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-23-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
any interventions or induction stuff? You can check multiple options if you've had multiple kids...

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-23-2008, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My water broke both times by itself. With Amethyst it was 11 hours before delivery, Asheby about an hour before.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
#3 of 13 Old 08-23-2008, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a pretty textbook labor and delivery. No intervention of any kind.
#4 of 13 Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
But did your water break before any contractions started? I probably should have made this poll clearer--I was hoping to get responses from only folks whose water broke before they had any contractions. Just to get an idea about whether it's common for people's water to break before labor starts even if they don't have any interventions.

My water broke before my contractions started, but I had my membranes swept a day before the water broke. Then I had a LONG labor with baby in a bad position. I was wondering if membrane sweeping maybe contributed to water breaking or whether water would have broken early anyway. I know this poll won't answer that question, but thinking about this made me curious how common it is for water to break before labor...

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#5 of 13 Old 08-23-2008, 10:45 PM

The first time, they broke on their own. Woke me up from a good sleep too, it wasn't a trickle, but a pop and a gush. Then my contractions started. The second time, I was over 40 weeks, did not want to be induced (we weren't quite there yet, but it was stressing me out) so I tried spicy food, sex and a bumpy ride all on the same day. I don't know if any of them actually had the desired effect, but no less than 24 hours later, I had my baby. *G*I had some mild contractions earlier which I mistook for BH, they died down. Then I woke up in the middle of the night with strong no mistaking type contractions and my water broke (this time it trickled) shortly after.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#6 of 13 Old 08-23-2008, 10:53 PM

I chose that no one messed with mine, but really the baby did.. I just don't think that counts! I was not having any contractions, but she was being especially active, and it broke with one very hard kick at 39w3d. It took a day after that for contractions to start up, and yet another day before she was born at home.
#7 of 13 Old 08-24-2008, 03:35 AM

Nobody messed with my bag of waters in any way... I got up to go pee about an hour after I went to bed & then started to walk back to the bed & my water broke half way into bed.
#8 of 13 Old 08-24-2008, 11:29 PM

With DD1, I rolled over in bed and felt what was like a rubber band breaking, then a trickle. I stood up and it gushed. Nobody messed with me at all. I'd had some contractions on previous days, but none to speak of that night. It was about 12 hours later that they really picked up.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#9 of 13 Old 08-24-2008, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think I may have caused it, not on purpose. The night before my water broke, I was trying to check my cervix myself and had to really feel around to figure out what the landmarks were and where the cervix was. I think I scratched at my bag of waters more than necessary. It all worked out though, and my baby shares my birthday!

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#10 of 13 Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I may have felt a little crampy but didn't have any real contractions before my waters broke. I'd gotten up to use the bathroom about 3am and the amniotic fluid started trickling out. No interventions of any kind.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#11 of 13 Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle View Post

But did your water break before any contractions started? I probably should have made this poll clearer--I was hoping to get responses from only folks whose water broke before they had any contractions. Just to get an idea about whether it's common for people's water to break before labor starts even if they don't have any interventions.

My water broke before my contractions started, but I had my membranes swept a day before the water broke. Then I had a LONG labor with baby in a bad position. I was wondering if membrane sweeping maybe contributed to water breaking or whether water would have broken early anyway. I know this poll won't answer that question, but thinking about this made me curious how common it is for water to break before labor...

I had no pre-labor interventions, my MW didn't even check my cervix for dilation. My water broke (at 1AM when I just happened to be on the toilet for a potty run!) and then my contractions started a bit later. DD was born 28 hours later, and was persistent posterior. I stalled out at 8cm for about 8 hours and ended up having pitocin augmentation for a few hours before I was able to push her out (no pain meds though, it was brutal). I've read that malpositioning is actually associated with full-term PROM (as well as an "overdue" pregnancy, longer labor and longer pushing stage, and stalled dilation), so maybe your membrane sweep didn't cause your water to break?

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#12 of 13 Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Dd1 water broke no labor till pit 8 hours later. She was born about 7 hours later.

Dd2 water broke and labor started a few hours later . She was born a few hours later.

Ds water broke after labor, actually when I started pushing.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#13 of 13 Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

With kid 1 and 2 it broke as they were being born.

With the twins it broke before ctx BUT-  I had finished 3 days of induction techniques (Pitocin and Cervidil???  I'd have to go back and see what else it was) at the hospital about 8 hours before it broke.  I have no doubt that all those drugs messed with things.  Not enough to bring on real labor, but I certainly had lots of false contractions and misery.  I'd only been home from the hospital about 6 hours before it broke.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page