I regret my son's name-UPDATE Post 62 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
I totally agree with this! We love the name "Desmond" for a boy because we absolutely love the nickname "Dez" or "Dezzy" (we are big Beatles fans as well)

I think Ezzy sounds really cool and cute and could totally carry someone into adulthood!
Funny. I have a Desmond and I love the name Desmond and will always use his full name. He just told me yesterday that he told the lunch helpers at school that he wanted to go by Dez! What can you do!

Back on topic. I have a nephew that was given the name Connor. His parents chose to change his name to River when he was young (one or so?). It was wierd at first, but now (he's 8) I can't think of him as anything but River. I don't think they did it officially, though, so they may have some issues with that.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

So my conversation with DH went pretty well. He listened really well, and really took a look at my thoughts and feelings about Ezzy's name. : We discussed our options which we decided were:

1. Give him a new first name, keeping Ezreal Archer as middle names.

2. Keep Ezreal as his first name but change the spelling to Ezrael.

3. Find another name that could have the nickname Ez/Ezzy.

I agree with DH (and some of you) that "Ezzy" fits DS2 and there really isn't a name that I have found that seems more "him" than "Ezzy". We both want to continue to call him Ezzy. We have been brainstorming and looking up other names that could have the nickname, but be easier to pronounce/less biblical than Ezreal. So far we have not come up with much.

DH came up with Ezrek or Ezrim neither of which I like any better.

DH expressed how much he loves "Ezreal", and how meaningful it is to him that he picked out our son's name, although he understands how it affected me to be pressured into giving him a name before I was ready.

So, we decided that unlesswe find a name that we both love, we will just change the spelling to Ezrael. That will fix one of my complaints with the name at least. With Ezrael Archer DS2 will have the choice to go by Ez, Ezzy, Ezra, Ezrael, Arch, Archie, Archer, or whatever else. Those are a lot of options, really.

I looked up Ezrael on Facebook and there area few people listed actually. In fact there were over 400 Azriels! So at least he is not alone Seeing that actually made me feel better.

I feel pretty good about the decision right now. It helped to hear all your opinions and to just write/type out my thoughts. Lesson learned: I will make sure if we have any more babies that we decide on a name before the baby is born.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM

Well, I'm glad you've reached an accord!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm glad the conversation went well! I much prefer the Ezrael spelling myself. Hope you're happy with this decision!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
I'm glad the conversation went well! I much prefer the Ezrael spelling myself. Hope you're happy with this decision!
:
Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM

How about Ezikiel? I dont even know how to spell that...

My youngest got his name by default sorta.

We could not come up with a name we both liked then one day I stopped by my moms and she says, "I hear you're thinking about naming the baby Troy Albert". Isaid, "We are?" DH had stopped by earlier, thing is,he had just thought it up and hadnt had a chance to run it by me. But i LIKED it. WE wanted Albert in there somewher eas its fil's middle name (or Raymond, his first name but we dont really like that name, I have an uncle and exbf with that name....) Anyway, I started calling him troy for lack of anything else we'd come up with knowing we could change it (I was still pg) but then the other kids started calling him that and we never came up with anything else and so it stuck. Though I sometimes thinkwe should have called him anything that didint start with a T as he gets called his older brothers name by everyone (Todd)

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 PM

If his name isn't Ezreal, you should change it. I believe that it is free and relatively simple (like a single form) to do so for the first year.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:49 AM

I can relate.
My son's name is Edward which I stared at him a lot thinking that's an old man's name. lol But it was his grandfather's name and it was very important to dh.

so he goes by Eddie but now he's starte going by ED and that is just too weird. Ed is a man's name. And well he's becoming a man. I think it's hard to find a name that suits you in all stages of life. KWIM? His screenname is actually Edster now. LOL So funny.

But I have always called him a lot of variations of it just for fun and he loves them all except Eddie Spaghetti Meatballs are ready.

We tried so many names trying to find one the two of us couldn't make fun of. but it's like a code of Ed's everywhere to say that to each other when they meat and it's grown on ds too. I think he actually kind of likes it.

In dh's family they go by "Ned" though so sometimes I call him "ned-ward"

Anyhow, if you can live with the spelling change and keep the name his daddy chose I think that's a good thing. I really like that nickname, Ezzy.

I will admit I had a hard time naming all my kids! But after awhile they did "grow" into them.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Like Labbemama, my son's name is my husband's and my FIL's as well...it broke my heart to name him that. Marty sounds like some old guy to me...probably because it was also 2 of my grandfather's names and my great-grandfather's and my other great-grandfather's middle name...the list goes on and on. I've always been one for the road less traveled, so using a name that had been so, in my opinion, overused drives me crazy on a daily basis. Pretty much everytime someone asks me what my son's name is. There was no talking to my husband about it while I was PG, after he was born, or even now. He gets deeply offended that I, in his words, "hate our son's name." I don't hate it, I just don't feel that it is "his". Ykwim?

In any event, you are certainly not alone, mama. We're all here for you even if we've never been there. I think it is wonderful that your DH is willing to work with you on an acceptable compromise and I'm sure your DS will really appreciate the strong woman that his mother is and how much you love him. I held my DS and cried as I signed his birth certificate. The nurse actually looked at me and said, "you know you don't have to do this." DH had filled out the paperwork without me I was beyond hurt and clearly am still getting over it! So don't be like me...take action now while he's still young! Congrats to you on standing your ground!

Jessica - I my guys!! DH Marty (4-22-06) DS Marty (7-2-07) DS Anderson (4-12-10)
Mighty-Mama
Old 09-04-2008, 12:53 PM

Sort of late to the thread, but isn't Azrael/Ezrael the angel of death? What about calling him just plain Ezra? But if you *really* hate it, change it now before it's too late!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Old 09-04-2008, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

I have also seen the name Azriel/Azrael/Ezrael mean "help of God". Maybe Azrael is a help to God by separating the soul from the body at death? But seeing it as meaning "helper" rather than "Angel of Death" makes it seem better. It got decent reviews here! 69% of people thought it was a good name.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:20 PM

Azriel/Azrael is the name of the angel who seperated the soul from the body upon death, and yes, he is referred to as the 'angel of death'.

Ezrael is the angel of wrath, if my memory is correct he was God's helper by delievering them into a place of darkness and punishment.

I'm not big into religious stuff, and if the meaning behind the name does not bother you, I think it sounds pretty cool, and Ezzy sure is cute.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 PM

I really like Ezekiel!

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
Old 09-04-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well, that meaning doesn't really add any reasons to like the name, does it? Oh well. It really does mean a whole lot to DH, and I have not been able to find another name that really feels right or like "him" to me either. He does feel like Ezzy more than anything else.... maybe just cause that is what we have called him for a year now. IDK....
We aren't religious, and really most people associate the name with Israel not Azrael... except for the Azriel from The Golden Compass (which no one sees around here anyway because they see it as anti-Christian... but that is completely another topic).
I am starting to come to terms with it. Especially after meeting another mom yesterday who has very uncommon names for her children as well, so I feel a little less alone now in the world of Tylers, Abbys, and Brandons.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:39 PM

Ha! You must be in the south .. last year my son's preschool distributed some flyer about how awful the Golden Compass was and how it was some Athiest trying to get at our young children.

Ok, I may be going crazy or pronouncing this wrong in my head .. but isn't Azrael the cat from the smurfs?

I think changing the spelling and keeping his name sounds like the best option. And you can't loose calling him Ezzy, it's simply adorable!!

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

Old 09-04-2008, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama View Post
And you can't loose calling him Ezzy, it's simply adorable!!
Thanks I do think Ezzy fits him. I just worry about when he gets older, I guess.

And yes, we are deeply imbedded in the south.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 AM

I had a very similar experience to you, OP, with picking DS's name. We finally changed it when he was around 10 months old, but it was very difficult to get DH to agree.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:54 AM

I always thought the name Ezra was neat.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Ezra? I love this name, and if our last name didn't start with the Ra sound, I'd have used it for DS. You can easily get "Ezzy" from it, but using Ezzy as a full would be strange IMO. Ezzy is an adorable nn, though. I know lots of Ezras, so he wouldn't be alone with this name either.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:40 PM

It sounds like you're feeling a little better about it all

I'm just chiming in that I think Ezzy is super adorable too. Would you be comfortable with thinking of Ezzy as his name? Introducing him that way and such? Sort of like my MIL's name is Susan but she always introduces herself as Susie. When he's older, if he wants he can shorten it to just Ez. Which I also think is super cool. Ez.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I swear after reading this thread, I want to have another baby just so I can name him Ezzy! :

He's really adorable, by the way--beautiful baby.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:54 PM

I'm glad you are working out something that works for you all My DS1 is three years old and I still have some name regret...when I was pg, I begged and begged for our boy name to be Finn. After some tears (I was sooooo tied to this name, it was meant to be his - we didn't even know what we were having), DH agreed but wanted to spell it Fionn. I worried that this would make it really annoying from a pronunciation/spelling standpoint, but I decided to compromise since DH had come around on the name itself. He turned 3 last month and it is still a running joke with DH (and kind of a secret annoyance to me, LOL!) - from the very first doc appointment and everything after, the spelling has totally tripped everyone up (that said, some people have never heard the name...a few have thought his name was Sin, mostly on the phone but one in person!!! Now THAT would be a name, LOL!). We have talked about changing it but it seems strange to do it now - he can spell his own name at this point!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM

If my name was Ezzy I might decide to just go by some version of Z as an adult - I think it would be a cool name- Just Zee.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:51 PM

Dh's mom changed his name when he was three from Emanuel and Gabriel. His birth cert still says Emanuel and not Gabriel, but everything else (ssn, dl, passport) says Emanuel Gabriel and he goes by Gabriel.

When I'm really pissed at him and trying to egg him on I call him Manny.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniegirl View Post
It sounds like you're feeling a little better about it all

I'm just chiming in that I think Ezzy is super adorable too. Would you be comfortable with thinking of Ezzy as his name? Introducing him that way and such? Sort of like my MIL's name is Susan but she always introduces herself as Susie. When he's older, if he wants he can shorten it to just Ez. Which I also think is super cool. Ez.
I also think "Ez" is super cool for when he's a teen! And you can introduce him as Ezzy now. And change the spelling to "ael" and you're set! I love the name and both of these shortened versions!

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Old 09-05-2008, 03:14 PM

I went through the same thing with dd2. Dh absolutely LOVED the name Aurora and I think it's pretty but it's kind of a tongue twister and I think it looks better on paper. I just never found a name that I was as passionate about as he was about Aurora, so we went with it. It definitely doesn't help that our dd1's name is Ariel (which was my main argument)- so now when people say "oh, like the Disney princess's!" I just say "yeah, my husband is obsessed with Disney princess's" I get to name the next one!

dd1 4/7/05 dd2 8/22/07 and b/g twins born 5/23/10
Old 09-05-2008, 06:09 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but I second Ezekiel! I know a great Zeke. And you could still use the Ezzy nickname when he is young.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all. I am feeling better about it, and am starting to be able to accept that his name is Ezrael.
DH hates Ezekiel and is dead set against Zeke. It is also biblical, so neither Ezekiel or Ezra would help that complaint about the name. They are easier to pronounce, but not worth changing his name. If there was a name I loved that I felt was "his" I would go with it... but we really can't agree on anything, and he does feel like "Ezzy" now. And DH refuses to call him anything else. Which is fine. He does seem like "Ezzy" to me too.

DH works at a school for at-risk boys and nearly every name in the book has a face with it now. It is hard to name your kid a name you associate with a trouble-making kid, yk? So naming boys has been especially difficult for us. Hence all the unusual names on our list.

I'll be sure to find a name I love for any more babies we have before they are born... and just work on coming to terms with Ezrael being our second son's name. He has the option of being Ezra if that is what he wants.
The new spelling helps me a lot, actually.

User Tag List