Mary Kate & Ashley NOT identical? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I remember our former next door neighbors had 3 girls- a set of twins and another girl 2 years older. I could never tell the twins apart until they got glasses; since one selected blue-tinted frames and the other selected the same frames with a red tint.

I had assumed the twins were identicle until one day the older girl told me that they didn't know if they were identicle or not- and pointed out the photos of herself at various ages to show how nonidenticle siblings really CAN look that much alike. If I saw one photo of one child (not 2 or 3 of them together) and didn't know what year it was taken I honestly couldn't tell which of the 3 girls it was.

Quote:
Fred and George were indentical... until the ear thing...
Uh, yeah, but they're fictional characters.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard they were considered frats b/c they were di/di twins (meaning seperate sacs and placentas) which is untrue. There can be di/di ID twins, my twins are di/di ID twins. Through dna testing it was confirmed that they are ID. They have the same eye/hair color and the same blood type. Even though they are ID, their face shape is different. A has a rounder face like me and K has a more oval face like her daddy. Not many people can tell them apart though which I think is crazy b/c to me, they look nothing alike. ID does not mean they must look exactly alike nor does it mean they are mirror image twins. I would like to see a true DNA test done on the Olsens and for people to understand that ID twins does not mean they must look EXACTLY alike. It is a misconception of ID twins....

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#33 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
I heard they were considered frats b/c they were di/di twins (meaning seperate sacs and placentas) which is untrue. There can be di/di ID twins, my twins are di/di ID twins. Through dna testing it was confirmed that they are ID. They have the same eye/hair color and the same blood type. Even though they are ID, their face shape is different. A has a rounder face like me and K has a more oval face like her daddy. Not many people can tell them apart though which I think is crazy b/c to me, they look nothing alike. ID does not mean they must look exactly alike nor does it mean they are mirror image twins. I would like to see a true DNA test done on the Olsens and for people to understand that ID twins does not mean they must look EXACTLY alike. It is a misconception of ID twins....
Yes thank you.
#34 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Uh, yeah, but they're fictional characters.

Ah yes, but they're the first I think of when I hear the word "twins."

signature currently in transition
#35 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
To me, MK and A look enough alike that I would have a hard time telling them apart, if it weren't for the fact that they choose to look different, have different hair color and such. But I really haven't seen them much, so I don't have a lot of experience trying to tell them apart. And I'm one of those types of people who could look at two different photos of the same person, but not know that they are of the same person. So I am not particularly good at distinguising faces, I guess. I look at wanted posters and missing children things, but truthfully I would never be able to identify someone that way.

I've known twins I called identical twins, and it was because they looked alike and I couldn't tell them apart. Apparently even the mother of some twin boys I grew up with had a hard time telling them apart. There are twin girls at my church, and I can't tell them apart, but some people can. I was told one was about 10 lbs lighter than the other, but that doesn't help me. But then there have been some twins who told me they were identical, but there were some slight differences that enabled me to tell them apart. I just assumed some are more identical than others. I thought mirror twins were supposed to be the closest. And I thought all identical twins had different fingerprints.

My sister and I are a year apart, and people thought we were twins, and there were several cases of mistaken identity involving us, where people thought for months I was her or the other way around. I totally don't get that at all. I don't even think my children look that much alike, but people assure me they do. So maybe familiarity is part of it, and I'm just not familiar with the Olsen twins.
#36 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 04:56 PM

http://www.aolcdn.com/red_galleries/...400a070307.jpg is a pic where you can see their differences
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/im...ns-look-on.jpg here too
and here http://img.timeinc.net/people/i/2006...n3_400x300.jpg
i'm still trying to find a pic of their older and younger siblings, because i know they have a sister who looks VERY similar as well, but is not their full sibling.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#37 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
Part of the problem is that MZ "identical" twins don't necessarily look entirely alike. Environment, eating habits, personality, etc. can all change phenotype - the expression of genes. Also, over time genes can mutate or switch on and off so MZ twins often look less alike in adulthood than in childhood.

For example, identical twins even have different fingerprints although they share 100% of their DNA and the sworls and whirls develope while they are sharing the same uterus. Moles pop up in different places, although both MZ twins would share the same propensity to develop moles. One might have healthier eating habits as a child or less reflux as a baby and so eventually be taller than the other one.

: Deirdre & the boys ('02 & '06 vintage)
#38 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Also, over time genes can mutate or switch on and off so MZ twins often look less alike in adulthood than in childhood.
My grandmother's neighbor was a same sac identical twin, in adulthood she got a disease that is a genetic mutation or a "switched on" gene disease, and her twin did not. It changed the bones in her face and now they look completely different. She said she went through a horrible period of mourning that they no longer shared "their" face.
#39 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 PM

MZ (identical twins) can...

*Have slightly different hair colors and hair textures, but not completely different eye colors.

*Almost always have birthmarks and moles in *different* locations, but probably not with one having moles and the other not having any.

*Differ in height and weight from each other in childhood, but most of the time catch up in adolescence.

*Have one twin express a trisomy genetic disorder but the other one have no trace of it. (this is called mosaic trisomy)

*Have one twin get cancer and the other does not, even cancers that are not as environmentally influenced.

*Have different eyeglass prescriptions.

You can't tell MZ twins from DZ twins by appearance.

And really, who knows about the above, geneticists are finding out new info all the time.

I really wish people stopped using identical/fraternal, it's really misleading.
#40 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 09:20 PM

I've met fraternal twins that I can't tell the difference between. My sister and I are identical. It's about the mitochondrial DNA. Not even scientists have been able to clone mitochondrial DNA. Other DNA, yes. That said, my sister and I have very different personalities and talents. I'm good at drawing, my sister has an eye for the perfect outfit. (I have terrible tastes. ). Genes don't play as big a factor in personality and capability, I don't think, based on my sister and myself.
#41 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 10:13 PM

Another thing, ID twins do not need to have the same birth marks either. On of my twins, A has a quarter size rasberry on her belly (that is going away) but her ID twin sister doesn't have one at all. So that isn't a clue either.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#42 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My boys are extremely similar looking to each other, DH can't tell them apart in the baby pics.

DS1

DS2

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (17) Seth (10) Pandora Moonlilly (6) and Nevermore Stargazer (3) Married to awesome SAH DH.
#43 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 PM

until just recently I had twin boys coming to my nursery at the Y .they are almost 3 & really look identical. but they arent, they are fraternal.. they had genetic testing when they where babies.

Ive been keeping them since they where about 1 1/2 & I can tell them apart.. but I have to pay very close attention & sometimes if i second guess myself I look for the freckles & moles (tiny ones) that i know are different.
their dad is always so shocked I know which is which.. he says he has trouble sometimes!
#44 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_sets_of_twins View Post

But in case anyone is asking for my $.02, I think there is a third type of twin where the egg splits before it is fertilized (I know, this goes against the typical theory of fertilization) and THEN each half gets fertilized by different sperm. So this would mean that they share 50% of the exact same DNA, but are more alike than just siblings. But really, who knows? I guess anything is possible. And I also have a sister who looks a lot like me. I guess if we had been born as twins we could play up our similarities.
These are called Polar twins. It's pretty interesting...although I have no idea about the science behind it.
#45 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 PM

When we were in our 20s my sister (5 years older than me) and I frequently got mistaken for each other.

Timmy's Mommy WARNING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#46 of 60 Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 PM

Apparently, Ashley's hotter.

http://thegirlfromtheghetto.wordpres...gh-to-make-it/

Living it up with DH, DD 6, DD 4, DS 1 and
:
#47 of 60 Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Celebrity gossip belongs in TAO, not DDCs. Moving the thread...
Well, excuse me! I wasn't sure where to post it.
#48 of 60 Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
To be identical, you really have to be identical in genetic makeup and the deal with the Olsens is that they have a birthmark or mole, but they are in different places on the two girls.

FWIW, all the fraternal twins I've known who were same sex have looked identical.
Identical is a misleading term. What we call ID twins are really monozygotic- ie they are genetically identical. Genetics does not determine the location of moles and such, so truly genetically identical twins could have moles in different places.

-Angela
#49 of 60 Old 09-12-2008, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bratton View Post
Well, excuse me! I wasn't sure where to post it.
That's why she moved it for you. It happens all the time, no offense was intended, I'm sure.
#50 of 60 Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
My boys are extremely similar looking to each other, DH can't tell them apart in the baby pics.

DS1

DS2
omg that's amazing! (and they're so adorable )
#51 of 60 Old 02-26-2009, 02:51 AM

Here's a picture of MK&A's sister, Lizzie

http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-co.../07/lizzie.jpg
#52 of 60 Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyBuggles View Post

She's way more attractive than either of her sisters

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#53 of 60 Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 AM

An ex of mine had two little brothers. In toddler/little kid pics, you couldn't tell them apart unless you knew what to look for (slightly different hair colors, eye shapes.) And now, you wouldn't even necessarily say "brothers!"

babyf.gif

#54 of 60 Old 02-26-2009, 12:03 PM

My sister and i are 5 years apart, when we were about 18 we looked the same. So if we had been fraternal twins we would have looked so alike at the same time. She used my id before she was 21 (is it okay to admit that ) and we are told constantly how much we look alike even though we are so far apart agewise. In our family we all just look so much alike. You know that we are all related, even my brother.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#55 of 60 Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 PM

What about the Tia and Tamera Mowry? I have a hard time telling them apart. A friend of mine has twin nieces and I have never been able to tell them apart, but he family says you can tell them who's who when they are together.
#56 of 60 Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM

The Mowry twins are identical, to my knowledge.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#57 of 60 Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM

The genetics conversation is fascinating.

My dad (born in Dec 1951) and my brother (born in July 1979) looked identical when they were little. My mom has a pic of each of them at 2 yrs old and the only way to know which person you're looking at is that my dad's picture is black & white w/ his mom and sisters.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#58 of 60 Old 02-26-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyBuggles View Post

I think MK and A look just fine. Lizzie is extremely pretty, though.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#59 of 60 Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Lizzie has a larger nose. Not sayin just sayin.
#60 of 60 Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I know a family of four girls (none of them twins), and you absolutely cannot tell two of them apart. All four of them look almost exactly alike.

There are baby pictures of my older son wearing a hat that look *identical* to how my youngest looks now. My youngest has much lighter hair, but everything else is almost spot on. I don't have any baby pictures of DS on the computer (he was a baby before digital cameras were popular!), but see if you can see the resemblance between them now:

big brother
little brother

However, I don't think my DD looks anything like them AT ALL.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page