neighbors and a ring of fire - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2008, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can’t sleep right now because the house smells smokey. Why? Because every freaking night one of the neighbors burns trash (or something). This has been going on all summer. I can’t definitively figure out who is burning stuff.

We’ve already had one upsetting interaction with the neighbor I suspect. And I can’t be absolutely sure it’s him. The houses are all really close together, and it’s hard to determine where all the smoke is coming from.

Every night, the house is full of smoke. Sometimes it’s so smokey that we have worried that we were on fire. I’m worried that we’re breathing in so much smoke every night. All this smoke can’t be good for us. My throat feels dry and irritated. It’s like we’re living next to an incinerator.

It’s not legal to burn trash here, and I doubt it’s legal to leave unattended fires burning all night in the city. I’m so sick of the smoke! But I’m scared to ask him if he’s the one doing the burning. WHY would someone burn stuff all night, every night????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Why haven't you contacted the fire dept? They would likely force the landlord to do something. I'd call the police or fire dept every single time it gets this way until something is done. It's a fire hazard and it's not healthy anyway.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 09-21-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy68 View Post
Why haven't you contacted the fire dept? They would likely force the landlord to do something. I'd call the police or fire dept every single time it gets this way until something is done. It's a fire hazard and it's not healthy anyway.
ITA

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:01 AM

Yep... I'd call the fire department. If it is the one you suspect, the fire department will come out and tell him to knock it off and probably give him a ticket.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I did call the fire department the other night. They came over with a truck, idled for about a minute at the curb, apparently decided that they didn't notice any smoke, and left.

Should I call them again? Next time, how can I make sure they notice the smoke? (The smoke comes and goes all night long--like the fire goes out and then he relights it.)
Old 09-21-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I appreciate any and all advice on this conundrum--and also, thanks for the chance to vent!
Old 09-21-2008, 01:44 PM

I have neighbors that smoke right outside my window all day and night despite the landlord warning the neighbor woman and telling her boyfriend he can't be on property. He still comes and I've complained enough and am sick of reporting him. I finally put plastic wrap over the air condtioner ( where lots of the smoke used to come in at), keep the windows on that side shut on cooler days, and I stuffed a towel under the door to keep it from coming in through the hall. Its helped alot. Some will still find its way in but all in all its been much, much better. So if you know where the smoke is coming in at block those entryways and see how it helps. Unfortunately you can't always stop a-holes from being a-holes or getting the authorities to care.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:48 PM

I read the title, and immediately thought of the drinking card game, "Ring of Fire".

Can you tell I miss being able to drink?

-
Old 09-22-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo de sol View Post
I did call the fire department the other night. They came over with a truck, idled for about a minute at the curb, apparently decided that they didn't notice any smoke, and left.
oh, how frustrating! grrr. i hate it when people in authority don't take problems seriously. that sucks.

maybe you could call the city and ask them how to deal with neighbors violating the city code?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:43 PM

I'm so sorry. That would drive me crazy! And trash burning releases nasty chemicals, too. I'd keep calling the fire department when it's bad. I'd also call the city or county code enforcement people and ask them what to do.

I'd probably also invest in a Hepa filter for the kids' room at least.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 PM

Have you called the fire department?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:53 PM

that sounds horrible. I would be really upset. Can you move somewhere else?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 PM

Do you rent? If so, you can talk to your landlord. Maybe he/she can be of help? Do other neighbors complain about it? Maybe don't approach the guy you suspect, but ask other neighbors when you see them if they've noticed the awful smoke and how bothersome it is and that you worry about the kids' health, etc. Maybe if a few of you get together it will be more effective?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, wednesday, salty, and veganone for the support. I did try shutting more windows (even though it's not really cold enough out yet to do so), and that helped.

And even better:

Mystery solved! The culprit wasn’t the person I thought it was (oooops!). I finally figured out that it was a different neighbor who has been lighting a nightly trash bonfire, and the police have told them to cut it out.

What a relief! No more disturbed, smokey sleep!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:57 PM

yay! i'm glad that mess has been cleared up for you. sleep well!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Oh great news!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:44 PM

glad you figured it out!

I was going to suggest contacting your city's code enforcement office

btw, if I hear "ring of fire" I immediately think of crowning, then johnny cash.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:57 PM

I'm so glad you were able to resolve this.

I had a problem with a trash burning neighbor untill we moved recently. It was seriously the bane of my existence. Especially in winter when the plastic smell would just hang in the frozen air.

I called the fire department as well as the police, to no avail. Guess they don't care about those things in Wasilla, Alaska.

I'm glad you live somewher better, and may all trash burners everwhere stop this disgusting practice!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplesugar View Post
I'm so glad you were able to resolve this.

I had a problem with a trash burning neighbor untill we moved recently. It was seriously the bane of my existence. Especially in winter when the plastic smell would just hang in the frozen air.

I called the fire department as well as the police, to no avail. Guess they don't care about those things in Wasilla, Alaska.

I'm glad you live somewher better, and may all trash burners everwhere stop this disgusting practice!
Hey, wasn't that the town that Sarah Palin was mayor of?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Good, I'm glad it got worked out/.

User Tag List