is this discrimination? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my husband was interviewing for a job with a woman who happened to be 3000 miles away... the job would take place near us. the woman asked if he had a webcam because she wanted to see what he looked like as she was talking to him. he said he didn't and they chatted a bit more and then got off the phone. he thought it was a weird request....we don't think he got the job (not sure if that's relevent).
so, what do you think?
#2 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The first thing I thought was that in an interview, body language and facial expression can tell a story all it's own. Was there something else that made you think that there have been some sort of discrimination gong on?

#3 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 06:51 PM

I think in todays world that is so electronic and hooked up to the net that virtual interviews are just par for the course. I would not hire someone if I couldn't physically see them, not because of how they look, but how they act.
Quote:
body language and facial expression can tell a story all it's own

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#4 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

ya, i think you guys are right....and i agree about body language and whatnot. it was just that she used the phrase 'see what you look like' instead of 'i like to see someone when i'm speaking with them' or something similar.
#5 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, she could have phrased it better, but she also lives 3000 miles away and you don't know what the local culture is like- there might be regional differences in how to phrase certain things.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#6 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM

My question is why did the company not establish that this would be done via web cam.

I agree about facial expressions but...You would think they would be upfront about the need for a webcam.
#7 of 11 Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 PM

She could of sugar coated the way she phrased the question, but realistically when someone says I want to see how well you hold yourself when you speak... that's basically the same thing as I want to see how you look...

I do think it is an odd request, especially during the middle of an interview but it was probably a whole lot less odd than than her asking directly... will you send me a picture of yourself.
#8 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 AM

I think it is very strange and inappropriate. As other posters said, it would be okay to establish this before the interview not during it. DH has had several telephone interviews and never has anyone requested that he set up a webcam. I find it very odd.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#9 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 11:29 AM

My DH had a similar experience. He was contacted about an out of state job and they wanted to do an interview via webcam. The reasons given were that they did not want to go through the trouble of having him go to their location if they didn't like him. They used the web cam to see if they even wanted him to come in for an in person interview.

At the time I didn't think anything of it but in hindsight I do not think it is appropriate unless they are doing it for ALL of the candidates. DH got the job and ended up going for an in person interview but he ended up quitting after six months due to the lack of professionalism and other behaviors that were inappropriate. Asking about the web cam during the phone interview combined with the remark about seeing what he looked like are red flags to me and it has nothing to do with discrimination. It shows an outright lack of professionalism IMO.
#10 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for all of your thoughts. i agree that it was just weird and unprofessional....he did end up being offered the job but they were trying to 'low ball' his fees so he declined. i think it's for the best...shady all around imo.
#11 of 11 Old 11-12-2008, 06:36 PM

I think it's a great idea to do a long-distance interview with a webcam, but that's not a very professional way to initiate a video-conference!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page