Prenatal vits....which IYO are the best and why? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have one they liked? Tried a few? Have any opinions to share?

Very excited first time mama to be (due 1-2nd august).....together with nervous first time daddy and love of my life. Computer challenged and still hasn't figured out how to get tickers and smily faces in my signature LOL http://lbdm.lilypie.com/35Oz.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 06:32 AM

I was on Citrical prenatals last time, and my doc gave me an RX so they were cheaper.  I didn't have any issues with them, other than I needed more iron starting at 20 weeks, but I think that is common.  Whatever prenatal you choose, If any of them bind you up, just add a little Natural Calm (magnesium) to help your bowels keep moving. 

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

Old 12-03-2010, 07:09 AM

I've been taking Rainbow Light Prenatal One for years.  smile.gif

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 12-03-2010, 08:18 AM

I've taken New Chapter Perfect Prenatal and also Rainbow Light Prenatals before and I liked them both.

New Chapter has three daily pills which is more annoying to take, but I don't have to take them with food which is nice. Rainbow Light is one bigger pill, but I need to remember to take it when I eat, and it turns my pee really bright yellow. I got them from amazon which was cheaper than I could find in my local store, but I'll admit I was too lazy to shop around much. 

Teetina
Expecting a little one in August! 
Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I take the Target brand...Sheepish.gif

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 12-03-2010, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I take HomeFirst prenatals (with probiotics) and DHA supplements. I liked new chapter also but sucked at taking 3 a day.

Traveling around the world with my husband and son (8/2/09). Extended BFing, Co-sleeping, ECing/CDing, Babywearing, alternative vaccination, non-circing mama
Old 12-03-2010, 07:21 PM

Taking   Omega Mom

Old 12-06-2010, 02:21 PM

I like the Rainbow light.  I get them at Target for less than 10 bucks.  I take them at night before bed and have not had any problems yet.  I have been taking them for several months.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM

I'm taking the new Rainbow Light that come in smaller pills that you take 3x/day (Prenatal Petite)- I find them much easier to swallow than the one big one.  Plus I take an extra Calcium suppliment that is a must with these prenatals as they don't contain enough.

fambedsingle2.gifAP Mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 7/11
Old 12-06-2010, 06:57 PM

I took Rainbow Lights the first 2 times and had no issues. I switched this time to the new chapter ones - I like not having to take them with food and I felt like I needed something more because my diet isn't always the best. So far no issues taking 3x. If I think I'm going to be really busy and forget, I take 2 in the morning and 1 at night but I don't know how advisable that is.

Professional Lurker kewl.gif. Married to my highschool sweetheart, "D" partners.gif. Mom to DS1 "G" (Sept. '04) blahblah.gif  , DS2 "W" (April '08) bouncy.gif , and ???? (August '11) 1sttri.gif
Old 12-08-2010, 12:48 PM

I had done a lot of investigating into prenatal vitamins before getting pregnant.  I have had trouble with some vitamins making me nauseous, so I mostly take them at night now.  I had taken Nature's Way multi capsules because I thought the capsules would be easier on my stomach.  I later switched to Rainbow Light one a day and took those for a long time, which are tablets.  I really wanted something food-based because I thought that was better, but after reading myself to death, I decided that 1) there is no truly 100% food based vitamin out there, and 2) it is hard for food based vitamins to contain as much of the stuff as we need.

I found these articles interesting:

http://www.drrons.com/dietary-supplements-industry-facts-5.htm

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_3901.cfm

Right now I am taking Thorne's basic prenatal, which is a capsule.  I was drawn to the Thorne brand because of their claims of purity and quality-- because of what they don't use.  The serving size is 3 a day, so I'm trying to remember to take them spaced out.  If it turns out that I can't keep up with 3 a day I will probably switch back to Rainbow Light once I finish this bottle of Thorne. 

Ultimately I'd love to say that I get all my vitamins from my diet, but I'm not confident enough in my diet right now to trust that, so I'm going to keep taking my vitamins as a back-up and continue to eat as best I can!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:01 PM

I'm taking Pure Essence Labs Two 'n' Only. You're supposed to take two of them a day, but I am only taking one at this point.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 12-09-2010, 10:51 AM

I'm taking Rainbow Light  once a day.  This is the first time I've tried these so hopefully they'll be good!

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 PM

I'm also taking Rainbow Light one a day. I'm supplementing it with fermented CLO in capsules (my husband takes it in liquid and I'd just throw it right back up if I had to take it that way!) and high vitamin butter oil. Occasionally I also take Dr. Ron's Organ Delight if I'm feeling extra tired.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 PM

I've been taking the Rainbow Light 1 a days for years.  I also take a DHA supplement and a vitamin D.  I like the RL's, never had issues.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         

User Tag List