Nursing Mommas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-03-2010, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, girls! I'm so glad we finally have our own DDC! I thought I would start a thread for those of us who are still breastfeeding another babe. How old is your nursling? When are you due? Do you plan on weaning or do you hope to tandem? What challenges are you facing so far or do you expect in the future? Have you ever breastfed while pregnant or tandem nursed before?

I'm due August 1st, and I'm nursing my 18 month old DD. I'd like to breastfeed her until she is 2 years old so long as that is what she would like to do. That would put me around 6 months along, but I would go beyond that and tandem if she wants as well. I breastfed my oldest until he was 2 1/2 and he decided he was done prior to me conceiving our daughter so I have no experience nursing while pregnant or tandem nursing. I've read/heard that there is typically a milk supply decrease in the 4th or 5th month or a transition to colostrum and many babes decide to wean at that point. Is there and validity to this? My biggest challenge so far is nipple soreness, but I'm breathing through it. Do you girls do anything special diet wise? I'm vegetarian, is there anything I should be considering? I'm looking forward to sharing this experience with you girls! :)

Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-03-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyKatie View Post

Hey, girls! I'm so glad we finally have our own DDC! I thought I would start a thread for those of us who are still breastfeeding another babe. How old is your nursling? When are you due? Do you plan on weaning or do you hope to tandem? What challenges are you facing so far or do you expect in the future? Have you ever breastfed while pregnant or tandem nursed before?

I'm due August 1st, and I'm nursing my 18 month old DD. I'd like to breastfeed her until she is 2 years old so long as that is what she would like to do. That would put me around 6 months along, but I would go beyond that and tandem if she wants as well. I breastfed my oldest until he was 2 1/2 and he decided he was done prior to me conceiving our daughter so I have no experience nursing while pregnant or tandem nursing. I've read/heard that there is typically a milk supply decrease in the 4th or 5th month or a transition to colostrum and many babes decide to wean at that point. Is there and validity to this? My biggest challenge so far is nipple soreness, but I'm breathing through it. Do you girls do anything special diet wise? I'm vegetarian, is there anything I should be considering? I'm looking forward to sharing this experience with you girls! :)

Professional Lurker kewl.gif. Married to my highschool sweetheart, "D" partners.gif. Mom to DS1 "G" (Sept. '04) blahblah.gif  , DS2 "W" (April '08) bouncy.gif , and ???? (August '11) 1sttri.gif
#3 of 21 Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 AM

Hi Katie and all other pregnant nursing mommas!  I'm due August 1st, too joy.gif.  My nursling is 2.5 years old.  I plan on letting him nurse as long as I don't get way uncomfortable. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyKatie View Post

I've read/heard that there is typically a milk supply decrease in the 4th or 5th month or a transition to colostrum and many babes decide to wean at that point. Is there and validity to this?

This was totally true for me, although I don't think it transitioned into colostrum.  I think I just dried up.  DS1 was still nursing when I got pregnant with DS2 (he was almost 3 yo at the time).  He stopped on his own about 4 months in to that pregnancy which was good because I was done (it was starting to hurt more and more and I was getting so touched out).  I was starting to limit it so I didn't have to grin and bear it so much, but he definitely quit cold turkey on his own.  The day I got home with baby brother, though - bam - renewed interest.  I decided to limit it from the get-go, so I tandemed, but told him he could only nurse when we woke up for the day, in another room (didn't want him to associate our bedroom with nursing because I was afraid he would keep waking me up on top of my newborn waking me up to nurse).  The first evening was awful.  He saw baby brother nursing and wanted to.  I repeated that nursing was only when we woke up and it had to be in W's room (where the rocker/glider is).  He wailed at least 4 times "but what about meeeee".  I felt terrible - like the worse mother ever - but knew my limits so we stuck to that.  So we tandemed every morning for a little over a year when he proclaimed one morning  when he was about 4.5 yo that he was done nursing.  Sure enough, he never went back.  I think the tandeming really helped make it easier for him to transition into being a big brother, even with the limits.

I'm not much help for the diet question.  I am a crappy eater, trying to reform myself.  Prior to getting pregnant, I lost 25 lbs, so I am starting to make better choices.  I just hate fruits and vegetables - always have to force them down.  The diet I did forced me to change to very clean eating for almost 2 months, and I was so excited that maybe I would get used to eating healthy, so I went in very happy and with a very open mind, but nope, still have to force fruits and veggies down even after eating so well.  Anyway, that is the end of my rant about food lol.gif.  I am trying to up my protien, cut out crappy carbs as much as possible, and am really trying to remember fruits and veggies.  I ate a banana last night (sadly, that is a good day for me).  I'm shelling out big bucks for a whole food based prenatal because, in my backwards mind, that will hopefully help a little bit with nutrients. 

Professional Lurker kewl.gif. Married to my highschool sweetheart, "D" partners.gif. Mom to DS1 "G" (Sept. '04) blahblah.gif  , DS2 "W" (April '08) bouncy.gif , and ???? (August '11) 1sttri.gif
#4 of 21 Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 AM

Hi ladies-

I am nursing DD, 22 months.  She still nurses a lot, but I am fairly certain my milk, although still present has decreased in amount.  I recently decided to limit DD's night nursing--she sometimes like to sleep nurse all night and I just can't handle that right now.  So I have decided to let her nurse when she wakes up at night (we put her to bed in her own bed, but she usually wakes up part way through the night) and then when she is done she can have snuggles but no more mama milk.  I did this last night and she fussed a bit, but I told her the mama milk was sleeping, cuddled her and rubbed her back it worked pretty well!  I don't want to wean her completely--just need a little more sleep orngtongue.gif  We'll just see how things go with DDs need, milk supply and how I feel as this pregnancy progresses.  I plan to tandem nurse if DD is still interested when this little one is born.  

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#5 of 21 Old 12-03-2010, 11:08 AM

I'm breastfeeding our 17 month old and planning to tandem.  I don't have any soreness or discomfort yet and I'm truly hoping that I don't get a severe case of either.  I'd be devastated if she weaned, though, no signs yet still a total boobie girl.  I'm just eating heaps of good veggies and protein hoping my body will get the message that there's really no need for my milk to dry up at all!  Fingers crossed its an easy road for all of us.

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
#6 of 21 Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My 16month old is still nursing. I have noticed he is nursing more recently...not sure if its the pregnancy or the two back teeth coming in at the same time. *ouch* I have minimal nipple pain and I think we are going to play it by ear to see how it goes. I'm not going to wean him, but I'm also not trying to do a ton of things to keep my supply up. So not sure which category that makes me :D I never thought I would make it past a year let alone farther, nor did I ever think tandem would ever be an option since I didn't know anyone in real life who made it past 3 months! I honestly haven't looked up much to do with BFing and pregnancy or tandem nursing.... Anyone have a good book that would help out on that?

Traveling around the world with my husband and son (8/2/09). Extended BFing, Co-sleeping, ECing/CDing, Babywearing, alternative vaccination, non-circing mama
#7 of 21 Old 12-03-2010, 01:47 PM

I've just ordered Adventures in Tandem Nursing, by Hilary Flower.  Supposed to be a good one, not sure of any others?  What sort of things can we do to keep up supply, does anyone know?  I've heard about oats, but we've just gone gluten free and low-grain and much better for it, so loathe to start tanking up on oats! 

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
#8 of 21 Old 12-03-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

I also just requested this through interlibrary loan. Still waiting for it to arrive! Most other breastfeeding books that I've read only briefly touch on the subject saying that it isn't necessary to wean, that it's safe for the majority of pregnant women to continue breastfeeding throughout, and that some may have nipple soreness, feel agitated, or experience a supply decrease. I don't have an appointment with my midwife until mid January, but I will def. be asking her some more questions as I know she tandemed her boys. She said supplement wise I should be good with my prenatal and Vit D. I was thinking you would combine the recommended caloric increase for expectant women with those who are breastfeeding, but I'm nursing a toddler so that seems awfully high... I love my crappy carbs as well, but during the first trimester I just want fruits, veggies, and water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adore4 View Post

I've just ordered Adventures in Tandem Nursing, by Hilary Flower.  Supposed to be a good one, not sure of any others?  What sort of things can we do to keep up supply, does anyone know?  I've heard about oats, but we've just gone gluten free and low-grain and much better for it, so loathe to start tanking up on oats! 

Katie
#9 of 21 Old 12-04-2010, 12:52 AM

I've been nursing daily for five and a half years now.  DD was born in May 2005.  I got pregnant again in July 2008 and nursed through that pregnancy and tandemed for a while.  Actually, DD still hasn't officially weaned, but she just puts her lips on my nipple for about one second now at night.  I can't really remember when she truly stopped actually sucking.  Maybe 6-12 months ago?  DS is 2 years and 8 months and he's still nursing STRONG.

I got pregnant back in February and miscarried at 15 weeks.  The baby had died at 8 weeks but my placenta kept growing until the miscarriage so I think hormonally it was a 15 week pregnancy.  The nursing annoyance hadn't gotten too bad yet with that pregnancy.  This time I'm not noticing anything different yet.  I think it's possible that it will take longer to get bad this time.  I just get the impression that my boobs are pretty used to this now and it's going to take more to rile them up.

Last time it was pretty darn irritating to nurse through pregnancy, I won't lie.  I can't really remember it clearly now but I know that I have old posts on here about how much it was driving me crazy.  So prepare yourselves!  However, it's really worth it.  When the baby comes you'll never be engorged because you have your vacuum cleaner toddler to sort you out.  And I chose to switch to block nursing with DS (not worth explaining why right now) and having DD around made that totally easy.  (Block nursing is when you nurse for several nursing sessions or even a whole 12-hour period from one breast and then switch.)  Without DD I'm sure I would have had to pump and would have ended up with plugged ducts or mastitis or something.

Also, I think it's true what they say about sibling rivalry.  While I was pregnant with DS my mother was encouraging me to wean her, saying that tandem nursing would create jealousy issues.  Um, what?  Quite the opposite.  She didn't have her beloved boobies taken away from her, she just got to share them with her little brother.  My kids get along superbly.  They really really love each other and don't really fight -- just little spats over a toy or something.  I credit the tandem nursing with a large part of that.  I suggest that you all start talking about sharing the boobies with the baby NOW.  I did this with DD and she was very happy to share with DS.  I have friends who haven't emphasized it so much or for so long and they had more difficulty.  Give your nursling the full 8 months to completely assimilate the idea.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#10 of 21 Old 12-04-2010, 12:42 PM

I am nursing my 25 month old, but I'm realllllllly hoping she weans soon.  bag.gif I don't want to tandem nurse, I guess I'm the only one!  My daughter only nurses at bedtime, naptime and upon waking, and milk is already decreasing.  I am hoping the supply drop will encourage her to wean on her own, but we'll see.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#11 of 21 Old 12-05-2010, 08:58 AM

I'm nursing my 17 mo old dd.  I have to admit, I'd be glad if she self-weaned, but I don't see that happening any time soon.  I'm not going to try to wean her, so we'll see how it goes.

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#12 of 21 Old 12-09-2010, 05:10 PM

I just wanted to come in here and cheer you ladies on.   DD is 2 and after 6 cycles not conceiving I decided to wean.  It was a little bittersweet but the easiest transition ever.  She was down to one nursing a day (for a few min before bed) and hasn't even asked or brought it up since.  But still, I have my moments that I wish we could have continued!  Kudos to all you nursing mamas! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#13 of 21 Old 12-10-2010, 04:51 AM

Thanks for rooting us on Baby_Cakes!  So a week later, and nursing is still totally comfortable for me.  Now, I wish he wouldn't wake me up at 3 in the morning to do it, but such is life.  Since I work full time, I don't mind the extra bonding too much, but when he does sleep through (like 2 nights ago) it is such a relief.  Hope all my fellow nursing mama's are still doing OK! 

#14 of 21 Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Nursing is starting to become extremely uncomfortable! My nipples are just sooo sore and it seems like all my 18 month old ever wants to do is nurse! She has been up multiple times a night for the past couple of weeks and all day long she is signing milk and reaching down my shirt. I'm fatigued and nauseated as it is. I really wanted to meet our goal of 2 years, but right now I'm finding it to not be such a pleasant experience anymore. I am not going to totally wean, but I am definitely doing what I can to reduce and distract her from nursing as much as possible as I have to  breathe through every session... does it get better or will the sensitivity continue throughout the pregnancy?? I feel so conflicted about this as I've always loved breastfeeding and I've never had such negative feelings about it even during mastitis! 

Katie
#15 of 21 Old 12-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Hi everyone! 

I'm nursing a 3 year 3 month little boy - fortunately he nurses generally at bedtime and occasionally at naptime.  I'm okay with tandem nursing, but I think he'll probably wean sometime during this pregnancy.  Either way it will be whatever it's going to be kind of thing.  Right now it's not uncomfortable so that's a bonus.  I'm due August 3.  

Sami

#16 of 21 Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM

I'm still nursing my 14 month old daughter. I think my milk supply is decreasing already and she's starting to self wean. Or it might just be a nursing strike? She was nursing several times a day and wouldn't fall asleep without it, but when I got pregnant my husband and I decided that we needed to start gently (no CIO here!) sleep training her so I could get more rest. Now that she is falling asleep for her naps by going for a walk in the stroller, she hasn't been wanting to nurse in the afternoon. I think she might be catching up at night, but I don't really pay much attention. We've been cosleeping for so long now that I'm not usually more than half awake when she wakes up to nurse. I'm getting kind of tired of nursing, but I'm going to keep it up until she weans herself. I don't think I could handle the mommy guilt if I weaned her.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#17 of 21 Old 12-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Just thought I'd at least get us back onto page 1!  How are all the breastfeeding mamas doing?  I am nearly 8 weeks and haven't really noticed any changes.  My LO has been ill with ear infection and cough this week and all I can say is thank goodness I'm still breastfeeding because she would not touch any food and has remained strong throughout.  I can still hear gulps as she's drinking so I suppose my supply is still OK.  I wonder if its changed taste a bit though because a few times recently she's pulled off and given my breast a very funny look!  Also, I have next to no nausea at all, which is worrying me a bit, but then I've heard breastfeeding through pregnancy could result in less nausea.  Anyone else?

#18 of 21 Old 12-25-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm already tandem nursing lol.gif ODD is 3 and YDD is 13 months. I've tandemed through two pregnancies already, so knowing what I've learned from that I will wean ODD midway through and night wean YDD a couple of months before my due date.

I didn't nightwean DS before ODD was born, and ended up nursing them both at night for a year (both were every 45 minute all night wakers... I got NO sleep) so I vowed that I would nightwean before birthing because I can't do that again...

ODD is down to 1 session per day, in the morning, so if she doesn't stop nursing when I dry up, I'll cut that session out over a couple of weeks, she's not really that attached, so I don't think it will be a huge issue for her.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#19 of 21 Old 12-25-2010, 04:40 PM

I'm actually still tandem nursing my two (and prego), 3 1/2 yo dd, and 1 1/2 yo ds. I would like dd to wean, but plan on tandem nursing ds and little one when *she* comes.

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#20 of 21 Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 AM

Can I join in too?? I have a 3 year old who weaned at 14 months with some pushing from me. Then we got pregnant with his brother. He is now 12 months and LOVES the boobs WAY more than his brother ever did. I am 6 weeks pregnant now and concerned how this will work! I am having the nipple soreness, but nothing I cant deal with. I am feeling fustrated with him when he wants to nurse so much, but reading what all of you guys say, that seems normal. Im glad its not just me.

I am kinda hoping he will wean, I am not really into the tandem. Not knocking thoes that do it, its just not for me I dont think... I guess if my middle child is still nursing when the new baby comes, then I will have to be...

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#21 of 21 Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 AM

Hi! I'm due August 1st as well. I'm currently still nursing my 26 month old, but only at bedtime. Feeling sore during nursing was one of my first clues that I was pregnant. The soreness hasn't really gotten any worse;  it's very manageable so far (mostly at latching on). I'm not planning on tandem nursing simply because my husband is uncomfortable with the thought. He's already been hoping that our daughter will wean soon and he'd never be happy with the idea of my nursing both our new baby as well as our firstborn at the same time. Which makes me sad, but also seems easier to me (not that my daughter nurses a lot right now, but I'm still the one who must put her to bed due to the nursing and once the baby is here I don't know that that'll work out). So I'm not planning on nursing my daughter through my pregnancy, and I'm okay with it, but I do rather wish we could give it a go, just to see what it'd be like. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page