cravings/aversions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 322 Old 12-03-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is it too early for this kind of thread? orngbiggrin.gif Not for me anyway... Thought it might be fun to see what you're all craving or can't stand!

I am disgusted by the idea of red meat right now, especially ground meat. Beans sound gross too, and melted cheese. Oh, and potatoes, especially boiled ones. And soup. Basically the staples of my diet orngtongue.gif Oddly enough, it's not so much about taste as texture.

I've really been wanting soft cheeses. I like them normally anyway but now they really sound good. Just bought feta, blue cheese, AND cream cheese at the store redface.gif Normally we avoid bread, but I just bought a bunch to put cream cheese on... If bagels were more available here I'd be eating a lot more of those too. Fish doesn't sound too bad, and fruit is good too. Most veggies sound ok, and scrambled eggs. With feta and some greens. Mmmm.

Who else??

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 322 Old 12-03-2010, 07:22 AM

Ha ha!  we are channeling each other.  I bought bagels and cheese at the grocery yesterday and cream cheese sounds yummy!  And I have had the most amazing craving for pizza, french fries, and citrus stuff.  Oranges, grapefruit, and orange juice.  My morning coffee is grossing me out though, as well as, all of our leftover thanksgiving foods.  And green olives sound really yummy right now...

I love your Brown bear name!

#3 of 322 Old 12-03-2010, 07:30 AM

Is it normal to be okay with a food one day and the next be repelled by it? 

A couple days ago I made DP some devilled eggies for lunch and they looked so delicious I popped a few myself. Then I made a really yummy shepherd's pie for dinner and quite enjoyed it. The next day I opened my fridge and the smell of the boiled eggs hit me and made me feel a little nauseous. Then I tried to eat some leftover shepherd's pie for lunch and I just couldn't stand it. grossedout.gif

So far I've been craving a Chipotle burrito bowl, and also pickles to snack on. And celery, which I don't usually care for. 

I don't have a car, so I like to plan my cooking in advance and make just one trip to the market. So this could get annoying quick... but so worth it in the end. baby.gif

Teetina
Expecting a little one in August! 
#4 of 322 Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Candy! 

I hate candy...I even hate chocolate. Now it's all that I can think about. I've always had some sort of sick pride in the fact that I hate candy...and now I'm going to have to give in and buy some...or a lot, even. My weaknesses have always been more geared towards pasta and breads. *sigh* My poor teeth!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#5 of 322 Old 12-03-2010, 08:25 AM

Hummus, I can eat it by the tub-full daily.  And pickled things, especially banana peppers, which I hadn't had before last week! 

I really don't like the idea of pork right now, and sometimes whatever DH is eating just grosses me out.  If I made it, it's ok, but if it's something he made for himself...get away from me!  lol.gif

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#6 of 322 Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakTreeMom View Post

I love your Brown bear name!

Thank you! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetina View Post

I don't have a car, so I like to plan my cooking in advance and make just one trip to the market. So this could get annoying quick... but so worth it in the end. baby.gif

We don't have a car either and are already terrible meal planners. I don't think randomly wanting different foods is going to help either... Well, every trip to the store involves a nice little walk! In the freezing snow... Well, at least it's exercise ;) And it is totally worth it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post

Candy! 

I hate candy...I even hate chocolate. Now it's all that I can think about. I've always had some sort of sick pride in the fact that I hate candy...and now I'm going to have to give in and buy some...or a lot, even.

Oh dear. This makes me nervous, because I don't like candy either and also take pride in never even wanting to eat it blush.gif Who knows what the future holds.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#7 of 322 Old 12-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

Hummus, I can eat it by the tub-full daily.  And pickled things, especially banana peppers, which I hadn't had before last week! 

I really don't like the idea of pork right now, and sometimes whatever DH is eating just grosses me out.  If I made it, it's ok, but if it's something he made for himself...get away from me!  lol.gif

Thanks Maurine!!!  I am going to get some Hummus for lunch and just eat it with a spoon.....wool.gif

#8 of 322 Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM

I have no cravings yet, but am having aversions to sweets! I'm normally a sugar freak, and my last pregnancy would eat a pan of brownies in one sitting. I'm really hoping it lasts because it's nice not to want ice cream and candy every night. Last time I couldn't look at meat without it turning my stomach, but am loving it now.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#9 of 322 Old 12-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

Just bought feta, blue cheese, AND cream cheese at the store redface.gif

Mmmmm..... blue cheese.  I have to be dairy free when TTC/Preg/Nursing so I am super jelous.  Be glad you are in Finland too and not America, where the docs would go Tsk Tsk for eating soft cheese (which is a bunch of balogna).

Quote:

...and citrus stuff.  Oranges, grapefruit, and orange juice. 

can I call BOY now? Thats how I was with DS, grapefruit juice straight from the jug!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teetina View Post
So far I've been craving a Chipotle burrito bowl..

I lived at chipotle last pregnancy, the fajita burrito was so amazing. 

Quote:

Hummus, I can eat it by the tub-full daily.

ME TOO! Its kind of a tradition for me and Chase to go to WF and eat veggies and hummus in the car on the way home.  A tub never lasts more than 48hrs around here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielle283 View Post

I have no cravings yet, but am having aversions to sweets! I'm normally a sugar freak, and my last pregnancy would eat a pan of brownies in one sitting. I'm really hoping it lasts because it's nice not to want ice cream and candy every night. Last time I couldn't look at meat without it turning my stomach, but am loving it now.

I guess I would call that a gestational diabetes blessing in disguise

I am not at the super craving phase yet, last time it was chicken salad on rasin toast, or the grapefruit juice, but its more carby things I am choosing, like sweet potatoes and chickpeas.  And I am putting spices on stuff, I usually never do.  It'll be fun when it really kicks in!

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#10 of 322 Old 12-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Oh Bean!  Please call boy now.  I'm easy either way, but, if I could pick.  Boy!  Mine is OJ straight from the jug.  I drank a gallon yesterday alone.  

Maurine, you started a craving on me.  I went to whole foods for hummus and came out with:  Hummus, Olives, Taboule salad, a ginger ale, some home made tortilla chips, apples, satsumas, and the new edition of Mothering.  Tell me that is not the basket of a preg. woman!

I am not at the super craving stage yet either really.  But I do have some aversions.  Sweets do not sound good to me at all, but, I am all about the salty.

#11 of 322 Old 12-04-2010, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBaby9 View Post

Be glad you are in Finland too and not America, where the docs would go Tsk Tsk for eating soft cheese (which is a bunch of balogna).

Oh they can be full of balogna here too... "untested" herbal teas (nettle, rrl, etc.) are off limits but a liter of coke a day is just fine eyesroll.gif just for an example. But yeah, overall they are more reasonable - possibly the food safety regulations are more stringent here so you're not as likely to get deadly bacteria in lunch meat or soft cheese. Though they do say to stay away from unpasteurized (which I agree with unless I could find a trustworthy source - but I wouldn't tell anyone anyway! lol.gif)

Quote:
some home made tortilla chips

Ooooh, jealous! I am going to eat so many of those when we visit my family over the holidays! Here you can pretty much only get regular old extruded corn chips.

#12 of 322 Old 12-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Ok, I am in trouble.  Today I went to breakfast and had 2 pancakes with a side of fried potatoes.  The pancakes turned to grossness in my mouth but I scarfed the potatoes and could have licked the salty greasy plate.  When I got home it was ruffles potato chips dipped in garlic hummus.  Anyone else seeing a pattern.....

Whose idea was this hummus thing anyway???  Cause it is Mmm Mmmm good.......

#13 of 322 Old 12-04-2010, 10:21 AM

Mmmm hummus. I have some sun dried tomato hummus that I've been scarfing down with Triscuits.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#14 of 322 Old 12-04-2010, 03:56 PM

Ha ha!  I am loving the hummus trend.  ROTFLMAO.gif

(Sorry if I started anyone thinking on it who doesn't actually want to be craving it!)

It's almost like the age-old "pickles and icecream" thing...

#15 of 322 Old 12-04-2010, 04:07 PM

just got my hummus on with some raw zucchini.  Mmmmmmm......

I think I am trending towards the vinegary cravings, saurkraut and vinegarette were scrumptious tonight. 

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#16 of 322 Old 12-05-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:

Ha ha!  I am loving the hummus trend.  ROTFLMAO.gif

(Sorry if I started anyone thinking on it who doesn't actually want to be craving it!)

It's almost like the age-old "pickles and icecream" thing...

I bought some tonight and am trying to eat it with carrots. Just because of this thread. My DH goes "Are you supposed to eat that with carrots?" Me...*blink blink...looks at the hummus* "I have no idea. It just sounded good on the due date board." LOL. 

I blame all of you.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#17 of 322 Old 12-05-2010, 05:40 AM

I did inhale two packages of hummus this week independent of this thread! I am craving all good vegetarian comfort food, lots of beans, more cheese than usual, no meat.

I made mashed potatoes for the first time in 4 years last week, too, and ate most of them. If anyone wants a yummy twist on the classic, I boil yukon golds (skin on) in the food processor with butter and plain nonfat yogurt and salt and pepper. They come out really think and flavorful because of the yogurt.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#18 of 322 Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:

.... It just sounded good on the due date board." LOL. 

I blame all of you.

Ooops!  So he knows you're preggers now?  Or does he have no clue what a due date board is?!

BTW, hummus can absolutely be eaten with carrots.  And red pepper, and mangetout/snow peas, green beans, etc.  I'll often put a plate of raw veg and hummus out for my girls and they love it!

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
#19 of 322 Old 12-05-2010, 11:06 AM

LOL! I totally thought "OH I should update everyone about DH..." then I figured nobody would remember. I had a super weak moment last night...we were out for supper. I couldn't resist. So I told him! He goes "No you're not!" Ha! He was very excited and shocked that I even lasted two days. He said "I wouldn't have wanted to miss a whole month of the pregnancy." aww. :p So yeah, I totally caved. bag.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adore4 View Post

Quote:

.... It just sounded good on the due date board." LOL. 

I blame all of you.

Ooops!  So he knows you're preggers now?  Or does he have no clue what a due date board is?!

BTW, hummus can absolutely be eaten with carrots.  And red pepper, and mangetout/snow peas, green beans, etc.  I'll often put a plate of raw veg and hummus out for my girls and they love it!

#20 of 322 Old 12-05-2010, 02:05 PM

I had my first hamburger in at least a year today.  I have been a veggie for awhile now.  I woke up this morning craving a burger from a local restaurant called Hueys.  The one I like is called a smokey melt and it comes on wheat toast with smoked cheddar cheese and all the trimmings.  I also wanted cheese fries.  Yes, it also can be ordered as a black bean burger.  No, I didn't go that route.  It was so good I almost cried when I ate it, the mustard, the pickles, the cheese, all warm an oozy.  If I am not careful, dh will guess before I can tell him.  He did a double take when I did not order the bean burger.  If they were open for breakfast, we would have stopped before church.  I was so hungary during service I quietly ate a luna bar.  

Anyone else having really strong hunger issues?  I had a light breakfast. (doing the small portion thing, I am already having a nausea issue).  Then I made muffins for my sunday school class, I ate one then.  Then half way during service, it was like WAM!!!  I had a baby dragon in my pocket! So I scarfed my luna bar and still had room for a good 3/4 of a hamburger, a few nachos, and some cheese fries.  Where did that come from???

I am a little worried about the weight gain thing.  I was doing weight watchers before to trim down.  I am not hugely over weight but I am not in the normal weight range.  Now I am craving things that I normally did not eat!  What's up with that?

Anyone else have that problem?

#21 of 322 Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:

LOL! I totally thought "OH I should update everyone about DH..." then I figured nobody would remember. I had a super weak moment last night...we were out for supper. I couldn't resist. So I told him! He goes "No you're not!" Ha! He was very excited and shocked that I even lasted two days. He said "I wouldn't have wanted to miss a whole month of the pregnancy." aww. :p So yeah, I totally caved. bag.gif

I remembered!  I am glad you told...I bet it was a happy moment for the two of you.  We told some family today in person.  It was so much better than over the phone!  The hugs were so nice. 

Anyway...back to cravings...I keep wanting baked potatoes with cheese, brocolli, and lots of sour cream!  That is, in addition to the hummus.

#22 of 322 Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:

awwwww cute, I am glad you told him too.  Nice try though!

Quote:

I had my first hamburger in at least a year today.  I have been a veggie for awhile now.

Anyone else having really strong hunger issues?

Now I am craving things that I normally did not eat!  What's up with that?

I drove by McD's today and was jonesing for a hamburger.  ITS BEEN 4 YEARS since I ate there, and I hate hate hate EVERYTHING about that place, not just the food.  But a Big Mac sounded terrific today.  I think our bodies try to tell us what we need to eat, in order to get the right nutrients to our babies.  Being veg, your body may be craving iron, and thus red meat.  I am also having really bad hunger issues, 4th meal is no longer optional, its mandatory. 

ps, you guys want a delish and nutrish snack.....a monkey smoothie.  Ice (or not), coconut kefir, almond milk, banana, cocoa powder, and peanut butter (sunbutter here), mix with a stick blender, mmmmm................I asked hubby to make me one last night, he was too grossed out by the ingredient list to go for it, so I did it and it was heavenly

Quote:

Anyway...back to cravings...I keep wanting baked potatoes with cheese, brocolli, and lots of sour cream!  That is, in addition to the hummus.

have you tried hummus on a potato yet? Mmmm......

#23 of 322 Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to make fried potatoes with lots of garlic and ketchup. YUM. 

#24 of 322 Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM

I spent a good few hours marinating and making stufing for baked stuffed portabello mushrooms last night........after first bite i wanted to hurl!  bummer.....i couldnt even kiss DH till after he brushed his teeth cos i could smell it on him....poor thing.....but now there are about 10 portabello mushsrooms in the fridge that he's gonna have to eat for about a week lol.   Then i made myself a cheese and tomato sandwich!

Very excited first time mama to be (due 1-2nd august).....together with nervous first time daddy and love of my life. Computer challenged and still hasn't figured out how to get tickers and smily faces in my signature LOL http://lbdm.lilypie.com/35Oz.png
#25 of 322 Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 AM

Seriously guys?... now I have to go out and buy some hummus tomorrow! eat.gif

Mandeefly-by-nursing1.gifwife to Chris guitar.gifDoula and SAHM to Ceaghan Lucas jog.gif(8/15/09) Missing Casey Lee brokenheart.gif(12/16/10)  & rainbow1284.gif stork-suprise.gifbaby due the end of Jan 2012! cd.giflactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gifHoping for a home waterbirth.jpg & to tandem nurse! luxlove.gif

#26 of 322 Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Tomorrow I'm going to make fried potatoes with lots of garlic and ketchup. YUM. 

Wow. Potatoes have been sounding really gross to me but you might have just given me a new craving!

Actually yesterday DH came home from a concert smelling like a burger from the grill kiosks that are only open at night (food for drunken people, lol) and I immediately got an incredible desire for the fries you can get from those places... fresh and covered with mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, and crushed garlic bag.gif Omg the greasy salty goodness. And eating them out of a styrofoam box with a plastic fork makes them even better! winky.gif I may have to make a late-night journey just for those if the craving keeps up. 

Mostly though almost nothing sounds good. Seems like the queasiness/food aversion peaks in the early afternoon - is it throughout the day for you ladies or worse at a certain time?

#27 of 322 Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 AM

Mine is a little in the morning on that trek to work.  I try to have a little snack on the way and then I eat a breakfast when I get there.  Then sometimes in the afternoons.  I have discovered that if I don't feed the "baby dragon" regularly then I am prone to queasiness on an empty tummy.  I am drawn to the hot salty foods big time.  I think it is because of all of the extra fluid volume I am working on.  I am trying to drink lots of liquids but not a whole lot sounds good except OJ and smoothies so I am sticking to that.  I may try some lemon-aid today and see how that settles.  But when I have a craving, (hot pretzels)  it is a must have or I cannot stop thinking about it.eat.gif  There is a bag of store bought microwave hot pretzels in my office fridge as we speak.  Mmmm hot with salt and mustard!!!!

#28 of 322 Old 12-07-2010, 07:13 AM

I'm just craving protein.  Lots of protein.  It was actually one of the first things that made me go, "Hmmm..." last week b/c usually I'm a junk food carb eater, and all of a sudden I was buying tofurkey slices and extra gardein nuggets.  I'm vegan and am going to try hard to stay that way this pg.  I did it last time with just a few blips and was pretty satisfied...but we'll see.  If this protein craving keeps up this hardcore I may have to add eggs in or something.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#29 of 322 Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I'm just craving protein.  Lots of protein.  It was actually one of the first things that made me go, "Hmmm..." last week b/c usually I'm a junk food carb eater, and all of a sudden I was buying tofurkey slices and extra gardein nuggets.  I'm vegan and am going to try hard to stay that way this pg.  I did it last time with just a few blips and was pretty satisfied...but we'll see.  If this protein craving keeps up this hardcore I may have to add eggs in or something.  

Oh, hon!  More power to you to stay vegan with your pregnancies!  I have a hard time simply eating "healthy."

My new snack is cheese flavored Sun Chips dipped in, you guessed it, hummus!  Pretty naughty but really filling, so I only have a few...

#30 of 322 Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Hard pretzels are pretty good dipped in hummus too.  winky.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page