Weekly Chat Thread 12/3-12/12 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

For those of you who, like me, are having your other child(ren) announce to family I found some cute T-shirt ideas online. I plan on making my own...some examples I found:

"Guess what I just found out?" back: "I'm going to be a big sister/brother!" 

"Someday I'm gonna be a rock star but for now I'm gonna be a big sister/brother!"

"I know something you don't know." back "I'm going to be a big sister/brother, again!"

"I have a secret..." back "I'm getting a little brother or sister!"

"My Mommy's pregnant and all I got was this t-shirt!"

We did this last time and I Thought it was pretty fun, even though I'm not excited to tell his family. I know we're going to get comments and I'm trying to decide if we shoot back or just leave it be... I know my SIL will say "Was it on purpose?!" *sigh*

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#62 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie B. View Post

Miranda - your family sounds really cool. I hope the new baby will bring you even closer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBaby9 View Post

Wow, so interesting and cool.  So you are not only learning how to be a new sister wife, but with this baby, wow, lots of changes, very cool.  Can't wait to hear more about your life as you progress through the pregnancy

Yeah it's a whole new shake up to life, I'm having a really wonderful time though and I'm *happy* which is a pretty nice feeling :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

Wow, what changes in your life!  I too am excited to hear more about how your pregnancy and new family life progesses.  :)

Thanks Maurine, I'm looking forward to it all too and glad to have a DDC to share it all with!

I have a midwife interview next Monday which I'd really be looking forward to except it's the day after I drive 16 hours to get my DS to spend a few weeks with him. All that time in the car = tired mama. At least I get to take the day off work.

Anyone else thinking of names? My DH is the self proclaimed King of Nerds and wants to name our son (after him having 4 DD's we'd really like a DS!) Alexander Luthor. Yes, Lex Luthor lol. Alexander Liam was my suggestion but I don't hate Luthor :shrug:

DS 5yrs coolshine.gif DD 1.5 joy.gif Second mommy to 4 DD's jumpers.gif

#63 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 AM

DH and I have been tossing names around for awhile!  I felt silly bringing it up so early, but now that the gates are open...

For a girl we like Claire (I know it's popular, but I love how Nora and Claire sound together) or for a boy we like Eli.  I love Eli, but I can't quite feel settled that that's "the name".  Neither with Claire.  Good thing we have plenty of time to think about this for real! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#64 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM

Copper- don't beat yourself up!  I work full time (just 8 hours at a time, though - can't imagine going for 12 hours - wow!) and it is exhausting.  DS1 was/is similar and watches more TV than I would like.  He is not good at independent play, either, even when I suggest stuff, and isn't interested in helping me (he does like to help daddy cook), so when I'm overwhelmed/exhausted, TV it is.  DS2 is a whole 'nother animal.  Just last night, we were all watching Christmas specials on TV and he watched for a few minutes and then started playing with trains by himself for a full 20 minutes!  He's only 2.5 - DS1 at 6 still wouldn't occupy himself for that long.  I feel your pain and I am lucky they aren't both like that. 

lovingmommyhood- Thanks for the response and reassurance.  0-1 wasn't too bad for me and neither was 1-2 (at first).  At the moment, though, they are starting to fight more, so the difficulty was delayed lol.gif.  When they are playing well, though, it is so heartwarming I could cry. 

mamalimey- you and copper make me tired just reading about your jobs - Thank you both for all your hard work! 

Miranda- Welcome and congratulations!  That is a lot to wrap one's head around in such a short time, but it sounds like there is a lot of love and happiness – how awesome!  Don’t know how true to life the show “Sister Wives” is, and I know your dynamics are probably different, but I caught 2 episodes a few months ago on a whim.  I have to confess I thought I would dislike it, but once they explained everything, I was like “you know, that makes a lot of sense”. 

Baby_Cakes-  I plan on taking my last digi today or tomorrow.  Are you still testing?  So much fun to see those lines come up or the word “pregnant” come up.  How’s the midwife search going?

Birdie B.– Thanks for the well wishes for my vbac!  Did you call your midwife yet?  I gotta get crackin’ on calling the OB I might be using. 

Beantown– Thanks for sharing your experience with hypnobabies.  A long time ago (before I had kids) I tried a self hypnosis tape I found at the bookstore.  Don’t know if it was a good one or not, but just like yoga, I was worried I wasn’t breathing right or something. I am hopeless!!  Anyway, is there some kind of teaser you can try on the web or something so you don’t have to buy the whole program?  Maybe I’ll try to find something I can test out.  I have some fermented CLO in the fridge – it is nasty!  I shoot it down in some OJ. 

earth-mama– That’s neat how DD was with your midwife and assistant.  I only ever had DS1 to my OB to get my c-section staples out.  You could tell he was nervous about the doctor hurting me.  That was sweet, too, because I’d never seen him worried about his mama.

KnittingKara– Welcome and I’m glad you have a good feeling!  I do to joy.gif

MrsMike– Oh my goodness – you had me in tears.  I worked at a kennel attached to a big veterinary hospital summers during college.  I got to help the techs out once in a blue moon, but never saw anything like that.  How heartbreaking!  I know we were always sad even at the kennel when one of our “regulars” died, so I can’t even imagine greensad.gif

mkat– Welcome and Congrats!  Our DS1 was the first grandchild/nephew on both sides too – it was a very exciting time almost 7 years ago.  Yay for your DH coming around!  Good luck on your Midwife search! 

AFM– Not much to report – have to get around to calling the OB.  I’m dragging my feet.  I have waves of nausea every now and then, and would feel fantastic except I have a cold or a sinus infection going on.  Yuck!  I see some are already discussing monikers.  Let the name game begin thumb.gif!!

Professional Lurker kewl.gif. Married to my highschool sweetheart, "D" partners.gif. Mom to DS1 "G" (Sept. '04) blahblah.gif  , DS2 "W" (April '08) bouncy.gif , and ???? (August '11) 1sttri.gif
#65 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Morning all!  Hope things are going well for everyone.  I am lurking a bit today because I am busy at work and don't have much time to post (boy, that sounds bad whistling.gif)  But I am here and still doing well.

#66 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda2r14 View Post

Anyone else thinking of names? My DH is the self proclaimed King of Nerds and wants to name our son (after him having 4 DD's we'd really like a DS!) Alexander Luthor. Yes, Lex Luthor lol. Alexander Liam was my suggestion but I don't hate Luthor :shrug:

Sounds like my husband!  :)  Fingers crossed for a boy for you!  That would be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakTreeMom View Post

Morning all!  Hope things are going well for everyone.  I am lurking a bit today because I am busy at work and don't have much time to post (boy, that sounds bad whistling.gif)  But I am here and still doing well.

Glad to hear you're doing well!  I try to lurk sometimes, but then I start posting away!  Things are slow at work this time of year, so...

AFM - I am feeling iffy still about this pregnancy.  I know, I know, it's silly to be worried.  What will be, will be.  I could swear my boobs are less sore and last night I had some cramping.  Blarg.  Early ultrasound tomorrow!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#67 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget's mommy View Post
Baby_Cakes-  I plan on taking my last digi today or tomorrow.  Are you still testing?  So much fun to see those lines come up or the word “pregnant” come up.  How’s the midwife search going?

I just took my last test!  OMG so dark.  Lemme post a pic.

2010-12-09120225.jpg?t=1291914557

I contacted a few midwives.  One got back to me and is off for August (boo), another wants me to call, and the 3rd (the one I'm really interested in ) hasn't responded yet.  I'm eager to get care lined up, just so this can feel official, I suppose.  I know I'm fine and baby is ok, just wanna get the ball rolling.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#68 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 AM

Your last test faint.gif .  Now that is a recordable moment orngbiggrin.gif.  Nice and dark indeed - thanks for sharing! 

Professional Lurker kewl.gif. Married to my highschool sweetheart, "D" partners.gif. Mom to DS1 "G" (Sept. '04) blahblah.gif  , DS2 "W" (April '08) bouncy.gif , and ???? (August '11) 1sttri.gif
#69 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 AM

Oak Tree - good to hear from you!  I am the quintessential lurker so I got you beat lol.gif !!  (just look at my post count vs. my join date)

Maurine - fingers crossed for your early ultrasound - hopefully it will give you some peace of mind hug.gif.

#70 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda2r14 View Post

I have a midwife interview next Monday which I'd really be looking forward to except it's the day after I drive 16 hours to get my DS to spend a few weeks with him. All that time in the car = tired mama. At least I get to take the day off work.

I think that's such a cute name! We may very well use Liam as well. We give our kids two middle names though so it might be Liam Shane Wesley (Both middle names are family names and William is DH's dad) and for a girl...I'm not really sure yet, the list is still really long. Maybe Atlee Evelyn Noel...but I have trouble with Atlee since it's not really a name...I mean, not traditionally. I really like Gemma but DH says no and sometimes I wonder what I'm thinking with it as well. lol...*grumbles* This is going to be a loooooong nine months. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

DH and I have been tossing names around for awhile!  I felt silly bringing it up so early, but now that the gates are open...

For a girl we like Claire (I know it's popular, but I love how Nora and Claire sound together) or for a boy we like Eli.  I love Eli, but I can't quite feel settled that that's "the name".  Neither with Claire.  Good thing we have plenty of time to think about this for real! 

I love both Nora and Claire but I know people with kids named both of those so I can't use them. So pretty though. 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#71 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM

Ooh I like Evelyn too.  Evelyn Claire...hmmm.

#72 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Maurine- Please keep us informed tomorrow.  What time is your u/s?  I will be thinking about you then.

Baby-cakes- I had a dr. friend whose daughter was Ella Claire.  They called her e-claire as a nickname.  I though that was so cute!

I like Lucy and I hope to use the middle name Ann because it is a family name on both sides.  But for a boy, I don't know.  I like Samuel, I like Isaiah, I like Luke.  I am glad we have plenty of time to choose!

#73 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Is anyone else still testing?  I bought more tests today.  It hasn't gotten old yet (granted its only been one day) but I just love seeing the test line come up.  After soooo many months of so many bfns, it's just so awesome finally seeing positive tests!!  biggrinbounce.gif

Um, yes! redface.gif I've taken three now, one every week from 4 weeks on. Every time they're darker and it's such a nice thing to see. I have never gotten good solid bfps before so I guess it's sort of exciting to just keep getting them lol.gif

Quote:
. Anyone else waiting to hear the hb with a doppler?

Yes. I finally decided that I'm not going to get an early u/s and I am ok with that now whatever the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownBaby9 View Post
 I ordered Fermented Cod Liver Oil to take as some of my vitamins and OH MY GOODNESS, nasty!

I was actually thinking of FCLO the other day and wondering how gross it actually is lol.gif I was thinking this as I took my regular CLO which is already so fishy and oily that I am starting to dread taking it every day. Orange juice seems to be the best bet so far. But since I started taking it a week ago I have actually noticed positive changes in my skin already! Less dry spots and faster healing. Not sure if it is the omega 3s or the added vitamin E, but it's nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth-mama View Post
 They measured my belly (very small at this point), but the cutest thing was that DD was super interested in what they were doing.   When they were done she went and got the tape measure and insisted on measuring my belly several time and then several of the doll that they had in the office--it was sooooo cute hearts.gif I don't think she really gets it, but I did tell her that mama has a baby in her belly and seemed interested in that.   Also, DD who is normally shy around new people was totally comfortable with my midwife and her assistant.  Maybe she "remembers" them from her birth shrug.gif.

That's adorable! orngbiggrin.gif I actually remember, when my mom had midwives when my little brother was born (I was 2) they let me use their blood pressure cuff on a stuffed cat that I had. It's great when little kids are included in the prenatal process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post

My DS is also watching more TV than I'd like. I'm trying my best to be more energetic, but it's impossible these days. He watches some programs on PBS in the morning. He's very good at independent play, too, so that helps a lot. But, I feel insanely guilty.

I had to spill the beans at work, which I didn't want to do so soon but is unavoidable in my job (certified veterinary technician). As soon as I walked into work I was given a horribly adorable lab puppy who needed barium series radiographs. I, of course, can't take radiographs so I needed to pull someone and ended up telling her why. Work was horrible. That puppy was fine, but we had another awful case come in. One of our sweetest patients came in having seizures and then became totally unresponsive. It's actually from complications of Lyme disease. She died while we were trying to get an IV into her.  I ended up having to do CPR for 15 minutes. She was quite dead but the owner couldn't bear to give up. I was crying doing her chest compressions because I felt so sad that I was literally beating her body just after she died. Rationally, I know that it was okay, that it's part of my job and yadda yadda, but she was such a sweet dog and I'm an emotional mess. Sorry for the ramble.

hug2.gif I'm sorry, that sounds really rough.

I wouldn't feel guilty about your DS watching more TV, especially if it's quality like PBS. My youngest brother watched way more TV than any of us 3 olders and he's probably the most well adjusted of all of us. I think this is the time when you can cut yourself some slack about these things, and pick up again later when you're feeling more on top of things.

ETA: Maurine, also crossing my fingers for your ultrasound!

Actually, all you mamas with children already have all my respect. I am floundering and I don't even have responsibilities to speak of (part time job from home, no kids, no pets...). You are all so strong!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#74 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the thoughts, ladies!  luxlove.gif  It's at 9:15 am tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakTreeMom View Post

Maurine- Please keep us informed tomorrow.  What time is your u/s?  I will be thinking about you then.

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#75 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 01:42 PM

It's never too early to think about names!  I think I had the name book out 2 days after I got my BFP!

For a girl, we like Josephine Mary (Josie)  They are both family names, and we've loved the name for years and years.

For a boy?  No clue.  Stumped.  It took us days to name DS (Jebediah - Jeb for short).  I really like Lincoln and Graham but DH isn't too keen. He is so darn picky.

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#76 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

It's never too early to think about names!  I think I had the name book out 2 days after I got my BFP!

For a girl, we like Josephine Mary (Josie)  They are both family names, and we've loved the name for years and years.

For a boy?  No clue.  Stumped.  It took us days to name DS (Jebediah - Jeb for short).  I really like Lincoln and Graham but DH isn't too keen. He is so darn picky.

I love the name Josie/Josephine!!

I had a dream that I had a baby named Ramona, which is a name I never thought of before but now I'm totally smitten. I also love Mabel, Beatrix and Eloise.

For a boy, I love the names Shepherd and Indiana.

#77 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 02:11 PM

Guys I just chatted on the phone with a potential midwife, I'm going to meet with her on Tuesday.  She sounded wonderful!  I told her what I was lacking from the last birth and how I felt about things, and she totally jived with me and seems like we could work out.  Once I meet w/her and see what her fees are (b/c unfortunately that does matter) we'll see and I'll keep you all posted!  Woo hoo!

#78 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 03:31 PM

I have been literally counting down the hours till my first ultrasound, it was scheduled for monday 13th...they just called me and said they had to move it till the next afternoon.....grrrggggrrrrrrr I'll just have to add another 24 hours to my countdown.  Really in most other things in my life im totally relaxed about..."Pregnant Lucy" is a whole different can of worms!!

Very excited first time mama to be (due 1-2nd august).....together with nervous first time daddy and love of my life. Computer challenged and still hasn't figured out how to get tickers and smily faces in my signature LOL http://lbdm.lilypie.com/35Oz.png
#79 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM

here's a doozie for you ladies (Copper, im sure you can relate).....So im 6wks 3 days today, feeling like  could hurl around any given corner.  My patients family came to visit him this afternoon (all 9 of them that lives in a trailer together and smoke) I unsuspectily walked in the front to be wacked in the face with about 40+ years of stale smoke smell proceed3ed to gag, followed by a rather loud and unladylike dry heave!  I wonder if they thought my attempt at a cough to cover it up was worthwhile?!?!?!?

So unfair......my job is sooooooo not M/S friendly!!

Thought you'd all like the giggle though

Very excited first time mama to be (due 1-2nd august).....together with nervous first time daddy and love of my life. Computer challenged and still hasn't figured out how to get tickers and smily faces in my signature LOL http://lbdm.lilypie.com/35Oz.png
#80 of 82 Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Miranda2r14 - happy is a good thing.  Thats a cool name.  Dh likes movie characters too!
nugget's momm - thanks for the OJ suggestion.  It hid pretty well in a smoothie yesterday.  Can't wait to see if I can handle it next week
Maurine - good luck tmr, I will be thinking of you when I am on my 9am conf call. 
ursusarctos - glad you are seeing good stuff.  When I do CLO, its always worse before its better.  My cuticles and lips are a mess, but next week they'll be great. 

openpollination - Ramona is sooooooo awesome, I love it!

Baby_Cakes - yay for good MW vibes!

mamalimey - um just reading that makes me want to barf!

I had my last MW interview tonight, this was a 2nd interview to make sure I got answers I was super comfy with on my hardest questions this time. Well, beyond my hardest questions, I just knew she was the right one.  It felt so good to be in her presence.   Its so weird, remember when you all got engaged and you had that excitement and fear simultaneously about getting married, same thing now for me, except its for HOMEBIRTH.  As far as me and the babes goes, more naus the last couple days.  The waking up and not being able to fall right back asleep is a PITA, but the MW said its likely hunger and eat something like a ricecake or raw bar when I wake up.  She said just like when they can't make it a whole STTN extrautero, babies can't do it intrautero either, especially with me not consuming wheat and dairy.  Names....well I had to give up the boy name and made a deal in order to TTC this one, so if a boy its Tristian.  I am trying to talk DH out of it but I probably won't be able to.  I'd really like the baby to have my dad's initials, so I like Griffin Milo or Graham Milo...we'll see.  Girls, we both seem to like Charlotte and call her "Charlie" so I'd have Chase and Charlie (and likely be done).  We like Ruby, Norah, I love Tierney.  No matter what though, I'd like to somehow work in the name of my roomie from college who I lost this summer.  I miss her like crazy... SO I have Whitney, Healy, and Smith to work with for first and middle names.  I love Healy, its not just her mn, it was also the dorm we lived in together. 

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#81 of 82 Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 AM

Oh no, I'm really behind!  But I think the return of my usual insomnia will help me stay more on top of things here winky.gif

BeantownBaby9 - did you end up using the hypnobabies techniques during your birth?  How helpful was it?   I like the name Charlotte too.  It's so pretty. 

Miranda2r14 - It sounds like you'll be well supported with your new baby.  Have you told all the kids yet?  Thanks for starting the names conversation - I've been obsessed with picking names even before I got my BFP.  This is the first cycle since I started ttc that that has happened - my subconcious knew!

MrsMike - I work in vet med also, and know how hard those cases can be.  I have a picture of little Tyler by my computer right now.  He died 3 weeks ago and I'm still reliving his case, trying to make it come out differently.  It's such a challenge to stay really present and open-hearted but not carry all the grief around.  I'm sure those of you in human medicine have the same challenge. 

Where in PA are you?  I grew up in northcentral PA (McKean county), my extended family is north of Pittsburgh. 

makt83 - I love your idea for telling your family - totally cute!  Our DD was the first grandchild on both sides also, and everyone was so excited.

copper.kettle - Josephine is my top girl name too.  It's my grandmother's name, but I think I'd love it even if it weren't a family name.  I love Jo and Josie for nicknames.  (I may have read Little Women too many times)

openpollination - Beatrix is a very cool name!  It doesn't work well with our last name or it would be on my list too. 

Maurine - hug.gif  thinking of you this morning for your ultrasound. 

Thank you copper.kettle, Maurine, ursusarctos, and nugget's mommy for your words of encouragement about my freaking out DP.  It did help me get a little more perspective, and you're right, she is coming in off the ledge a little. 

I'm starting to feel really tired and a little queasy.  Every time I tell my DD that I can't play with her right then because I'm not feeling very good, she says "I'm glad you're not feeling good because that means you have a baby in your tummy"  It makes me laugh every time, which is helpful, and it's actually a very good reframe for me because it IS such a very excellent reason to not feel good.  It might get old in a few weeks though....

I interviewed a midwife yesterday that I thought was going to be The One.  She comes really highly recommended by people who I trust, and her philosphy of birth is right up my alley, and the closest match I've found.  She seemed nice but I didn't feel "chemistry" with her.  How much should that matter?  I had great chemistry with my last midwife but she was too interventionist in her approach and that's what I'm trying to avoid. 

#82 of 82 Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:

MrsMike - I work in vet med also, and know how hard those cases can be.  I have a picture of little Tyler by my computer right now.  He died 3 weeks ago and I'm still reliving his case, trying to make it come out differently.  It's such a challenge to stay really present and open-hearted but not carry all the grief around.  I'm sure those of you in human medicine have the same challenge. 

Where in PA are you?  I grew up in northcentral PA (McKean county), my extended family is north of Pittsburgh. 

I am from Philadelphia and now live outside of the city. Before I was a vet tech, I worked in hospice care as a nurse's aide. Death is always a challenge to our sense, whether it's human or animal. :(

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page