Hot showers/baths/whirlpool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

What do you all do about hot showers or baths? I take baths all the time and I swear I'm forgetting all the things I should know by my fourth child. I also swim frequently and the hot tub issue comes up. Is it okay for me to sit on the steps if my belly isn't in? Is it a "pay attention to how your body is feeling" kind of thing? 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, its boiling hot here, so its more like jumping in the pool to try and cool down for me, but when I was pregnant with my first through UK winter I definitely enjoyed a lovely warm bath every night.  I know its not supposed to be too hot, but  mine were pretty hot, otherwise there's no point as far as I'm concerned.  Come our winter, I'll definitely be taking baths again.  You're very lucky to get to go swimming on your own with 3 little ones, I'm lucky if I get to go to the bathroom on my own!

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 PM

I'm no expert, but I've read that you're supposed to keep your body temp below 102 degrees. So keep the bath temp at 101, or get out fairly quickly. 

Mama to Alex, born 8/11. Just changed my username...
Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 AM

I read that hot baths and showers are OK because the standard American water heater just gets the water hot and then it cools off when it gets into the tub.  So you are OK.  The same with swimming in a heated pool, the temp is set to be warmer than the environment but comfortable to "work out" in.  Just don't get over exerted or too hot.  But for a hot tub it is different.  The water is constantly heated to a set temp and it can quickly raise you core temp way too high and you can also get dehydrated.  This is with a full submersion.  I think IMO that just getting you feet and legs in would be fine. (if might help for the leg cramps).  But of course you might want to run it past you DR or MW.

I love a hot bath/ soak especially with some good bubbles.  I guess I had better enjoy it now right???

Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 AM

I agree with everything OakTreeMom said, so nothing more to add, but I was reminded of a classmate by this thread.  Her mom and my mom are friends so that's how I know this story.  During her first pregnancy she and her dp went for a getaway when she was about 4 months along.  There was a hot tub, and she either didn't know about the warning or thought it wasn't a big deal so she got in.  At some point (don't know if it was minutes or tens of minutes) she either got very dizzy or passed out.  She had been in hot tubs before without incident, so it was almost definitely due to the pregnancy.  Anyway, as scary as that was, her baby was born 5 months later and was just fine.  The "baby" is a normal preteen/young teen today.  All this to say, I wouldn't recommend it, but I don't know if the recommendation is to protect the baby or the mother.  I just know that, at least in this case, it didn't immediately "bake the bean" or anything like that.  I also would wonder if it gets less dangerous the farther along you are (since so much develops at first and the heat might skew something), or if it is always a danger. 

Professional Lurker kewl.gif. Married to my highschool sweetheart, "D" partners.gif. Mom to DS1 "G" (Sept. '04) blahblah.gif  , DS2 "W" (April '08) bouncy.gif , and ???? (August '11) 1sttri.gif
Old 12-08-2010, 12:26 PM

I believe the recommendation is all based on raised body temp-- so keep an eye on how youre feeling, and as long as you're not getting a fever, then you should be fine. Even if it means starting out at 5 minutes and then taking your temp when your done, and then moving up to 7 minutes, then 9, etc. Just don't let yourself overheat, and you're good.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 PM

We got a hot tub about 2 months ago.  I researched heavily to see if it would be okay to use at a lower temp.  It seems that you don't want to raise your body temp to over 101.  The baby's temp is hotter than mom's and "they" say raising the mom's core temp to over 101 can cause damage to the fetus.  Most hot tubs are set to 104.  Even before pregnant, I tested mine out at 98 and it was just fine for me.  I raised the temp to 102 and had DH sit in it for an hour and we took his temp once every 15 minutes.  It never went above 98.9.  Since I won't be going in it unless it's 99 or under, I think I'm fine.  I worry about a bath I took last week to relieve cramps, but I'm reassured by how difficult it was to raise DH's temp for sitting in a hot tub for over an hour (<---yes I'm a nerd...he did this for me last night to reassure me about my bath...such a good guy). 

Anyway, in my previous research, I also read an article which discussed an experiment done on women, core temp, and hot tubs.  They have a bunch of women sit in a hot tub set at 104 degrees with thermometers in their vaginas (if I remember correctly) to measure core temp.  All women voluntarily got out of the hot tub before their temps were over 101 because they felt uncomfortable.  The take away I got from there was that it's likely you will get out of a tub because you felt hot and uncomfortable well before your core temp got so high it hurt the baby.

Hope that helps.

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

Old 12-09-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

We got a hot tub about 2 months ago.  I researched heavily to see if it would be okay to use at a lower temp.  It seems that you don't want to raise your body temp to over 101.  The baby's temp is hotter than mom's and "they" say raising the mom's core temp to over 101 can cause damage to the fetus.  Most hot tubs are set to 104.  Even before pregnant, I tested mine out at 98 and it was just fine for me.  I raised the temp to 102 and had DH sit in it for an hour and we took his temp once every 15 minutes.  It never went above 98.9.  Since I won't be going in it unless it's 99 or under, I think I'm fine.  I worry about a bath I took last week to relieve cramps, but I'm reassured by how difficult it was to raise DH's temp for sitting in a hot tub for over an hour (<---yes I'm a nerd...he did this for me last night to reassure me about my bath...such a good guy). 

Anyway, in my previous research, I also read an article which discussed an experiment done on women, core temp, and hot tubs.  They have a bunch of women sit in a hot tub set at 104 degrees with thermometers in their vaginas (if I remember correctly) to measure core temp.  All women voluntarily got out of the hot tub before their temps were over 101 because they felt uncomfortable.  The take away I got from there was that it's likely you will get out of a tub because you felt hot and uncomfortable well before your core temp got so high it hurt the baby.

Hope that helps.

Bree

It does help, thank you!!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What perfect timing!  I took a really hot shower last night, and was thinking how awesome a hot bath sounded, and that I should ask on MDC what's "allowed'! 

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!

User Tag List