How are you birthing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How are you birthing?
UC - HB 4 4.76%
MWA - HB 43 51.19%
Birth Center 10 11.90%
CNM Hospital 8 9.52%
OB 16 19.05%
Deciding later.... 3 3.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 12-13-2010, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hopefully a third homebirth with the same midwife that attended my last two babies.  But my last dd came at 35 weeks so we had to bag the hb...so trying desperately not to hold on to it TOO tightly.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#32 of 60 Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM

I just got my big fat positive today..

I am planning an unassisted home water birth like my last birth. This is #4 I am expecting.

#33 of 60 Old 12-14-2010, 11:02 AM

In the poll I chose MWA homebirth because that's what I want, but like many of you other first time moms DH is very apprehensive about it.  I've been working feverishly to get contact info of midwives for us to talk to in person.  I'm really hoping that he'll feel more comfortable once talking with them.  He said to me the other day, "My responsibility is to make sure you are safe and healthy and that the baby is safe and healthy, in that order.  If the hospital has more resources available, then why not just go to the hospital to 'be on the safe side' if the only difference is your comfort of being at home."  I'm trying to explain to him that its about more than just mere comfort-- that comfort and privacy can impact the birth.  CPMs cannot be licensed in our state, so finding them is a chore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

I am a first time mom planning on a midwife attended home birth.  I am very committed to it.  The only thing that would prevent me from doing that is if the midwife says I can't for some reason or if an emergency comes up at the birth.  I hope it works out so I can have the baby here at home.  I am such a planner and I get so upset when things do not go as planned.  I'll have to work on that this pregnancy.

Bree

I am a planner, too.  DH has also said to me that if I planned a HB and it didn't work out he's worried about how I would take it if I didn't get what I had "planned."

Quote:
Originally Posted by karalynnskies View Post

I really was wanting a homebirth with MW, but since this is our first hubby feels more comfortable at a hospital. I did find a MW group that delivers at a hospital 45 min away. I am calling them on Monday and if all works out that is where we will be going. The facility has birthing pools and all so hopefully it will be awesome! Do you ladies think 45 min is to far to drive while in labor?

If I don't have a HB, the hospital I want to birth in the nearest hospital that has CNMs and a great reputation for natural birth, which is 30 minutes away with absolutely no traffic... so if there is any traffic at all it will likely take more like 45 minutes.  It is across the river in Indiana, so we will have to cross a bridge to get there.  A couple we know birthed there in 2008 while all the election stuff was going on.  One of the candidates was speaking that day in that town, and they just barely got across the bridge before the bridge was closed for secret service or something like that.  I can't imagine trying to get to the hospital and finding out the bridge is impassable!  There are plenty of other nearby hospitals, but I'd really be upset if I couldn't get to the one I wanted.

But, if I could just have the baby at home and avoid driving at all, I'd be thrilled!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#34 of 60 Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Hi all. Like many of you, I want to have a homebirth, but DH was apprehensive at first. It's understandable since our society is taught that more technology always equals better, but that's not always true for a healthy, low risk pregnant woman. I have been doing some research on my own and sharing it with my DH along the way, and it has helped him come around and support my choice for homebirth. If you are looking for a good place to start, try watching "The Business of Being Born," which is a great film depicting healthy homebirth, as well as appreciating hospital birth and necessary C Sections as well. (It's available Instant through Netflix)

Please understand that I am not saying that homebirth is right for everyone, and I truly believe that we should all be able to make the best choice for ourselves and our babies, regardless of where that is or who is attending. I just wanted to share something that was helpful for me.

Wishing everyone happy pregnancies!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#35 of 60 Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

my DH isn't on board really either so I can understand especially the first time mom's struggling with less than enthusiastic DH's in even considering a homebirth.  If you want a homebirth and your DH doesn't, you can try what I am trying

1. Watch the business of being born together (netflix via Wii or online is easy)

2.  Talk about fears openly on both sides

3.  Inform yourself and your DH how hospital intervention can lead to more tearing down there (aka his happy spot may never be the same)

4.  Inform yourself and your DH about how CS impacts (mostly negatively) with bonding, breastfeeding, hormone regulation, weightloss, depression, etc.

5.  Accidents do happen, look at the rate of accidental vaccination or circumcision in the hospital

6.  Interview midwives together, have hubbies prepare their own questions.

7.  Look at he WHO statistics for Women and Infant health.  US was  #37 a few years back, the healthiest are most often the ones using midwifery care like the Netherlands

8.  Read Ina May Gaskin's book Spiritual Midwifery, and highlight the hospital versus home statistics for hubby.

9.  Have him attend a CNM or OB appt, then try one appt with a MW, so you can compare the level of care.  Remember, you can see a MW and still not use them for birth. 

10.  Blow jobs

.......#10 is optional and only for entertainment purposes

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#36 of 60 Old 12-14-2010, 01:39 PM

mkat - maybe gently explain to him that with a normal, healthy pregnancy, homebirth is safer and healthier.  There are no interventions that could snowball into something very risky - like major surgery - on an otherwise perfectly healthy woman.  I 2nd having him watch BOBB.  While it's true that the big risk is having to wait in the event of an emergency, the chances of that emergency are very slim.  On the other hand, if you are in a hospital, the chances of an unnecessary csection are pretty high.  Talk to him about it, have the midwife talk to him about it.  Discuss what his fears are - the baby needing resuscitation?  you bleeding?   Have the mw explain what she does in each situation, and hopefully that will help put his mind at ease.

The other thing is -- there's having a plan and being flexible, and having a plan you won't budge from.  Being flexible is really important.  You can't be so dead set on one thing that you can't evaluate the situation and make the best choice in that moment.  Birth is like that.

Beantown - LMAO!! spitdrink.gif  (but I agree!)

Oh - and of course hb isn't for everyone, but if you're trying to convince a stubborn hubby, there are ways!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#37 of 60 Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 PM

Crossing my fingers for a birth center waterbirth, but realistically it will probably be an OB attended hospital birth unless my BP has magically corrected itself.

erika w/ds geek.gif(10.5), ddhearts.gif(8.5), dss sleepytime.gif(3.5)
Missing angel2.gif9/1/10 @ 15 weeks, and angel.gif2/14/11 @ 13 weeks
#38 of 60 Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM

Still debating. DS1 was hospital birth (medicated) and DS2 was accidentially born unassisted at home.

We have a very natural birth friendly hospital here that i want to birth at, but being that DS2 was so fast (50 minutes from first contraction to birth) I am scared to NOT plan a homebirth.

The main thing that is holding us back is if we have it at the hospital, there will be no cost to us. If we have it at home, its 3 grand.

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#39 of 60 Old 12-17-2010, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

This would be #4 as well, and I would want another unassisted water birth at home as well. Last time I stuck a deal with DH, did no prenatals, and hired a MW I know to come hang out downstairs for DH, the deal was that I never had to see her if if I didn't want to. Ironically she missed the birth (quick labor) which was fine by me, less so for DH who freaked when he realized the baby really was coming out that very minute. So I'll strike a similar deal this time and maybe think about calling her sooner for poor DH's sake. lol.gif

ETA: To the one that was thinking about a 45 minute drive for first baby. I did it with DD1, it was fine, the car trip totally stalled my labor and it took me hours to pick back up again, we just walked around town and even went out to dinner, well I sat/bounced while DH sat but it was fine, for that baby. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#40 of 60 Old 12-18-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anjelika View Post

Can't wait to hear about all the lovely homebirths! :-)

OB for me due to high risk pregnancies.  I can't wait to hear the homebirth stories, either!  I would love, love, love to have a homebirth. 

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#41 of 60 Old 12-19-2010, 05:48 AM

Currently seeing a family doc (avoiding OBs) and suppose we're planning a hospital birth, but hoping to find the resources/finances for a midwife HBAC if possible. 

#42 of 60 Old 12-19-2010, 10:50 AM

HOPING to have another home birth, but if my insurance won't cover it, I will go to the birth center,

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#43 of 60 Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 AM

Planning a HBAC, but also getting shadow OB care since all mine have been 34-36 wks.  Gonna go the distance this time, though!  And will just have the MW hang out in another room unless we need her. 

And as for the 45-minute drive, I did nearly an hour drive with my first and 90 minutes with my 2nd and it wasn't that bad.  This time, if we do end up transferring for preterm labor, we will be going at least 90 minutes, probably more like 2-1/2 hours because I won't go to the land-of-no-VBAC hospital.

Tracey

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

#44 of 60 Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 AM

Planning our fourth waterbirth, third home waterbirth. Second time using hypnobabies. Which was AMAZING... night and day difference with my other labors... I pretty much slept through everything until I hit transition.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#45 of 60 Old 12-27-2010, 02:42 PM

First timer and hoping for a home birth. I had an ectopic last pregnancy, but if my hcg levels are increasing appropriately this time (I'll know by Friday), we'll shoot for a home birth. I wanted one last time and was grateful to have health insurance to cover the surgery at that time, but I have NO insurance this time and I'm not sure I qualify for state health care right now, so in addition to being my first choice for too many reasons to count, midwifery care is way cheaper when paying out of pocket.

Moo.

#46 of 60 Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Update: DH and I met with 4 different midwives last week.  Homebirth midwives can't be licensed in our state, so its a bit tricky sometimes to locate them.  Anyhow, there were two clear front-runners and one that I preferred due to her personality.  I was totally surprised at DH's change in attitude after meeting with them.  I think he had the previous notion that the midwives would be completely anri-medicine and would not be open to a hospital transfer if it became necessary.

After all the meetings he agreed to using the midwife that I preferred with very little discussion.  Actually, I wasn't sure that he has agreed, and so when I brought it up again later he said, "I thought we had already decided." lol  He even said some deep things about birth that really shocked me (I wish I could remember them now to share!).

So, I'm happy to report that I contacted our first choice midwife today to tell her we want to hire her!  Now I just have to figure out how to handle my mother..... I think I may just have to flat out lie to her about it.  Wouldn't be the first time in my life I've lied to my mother, lol.

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#47 of 60 Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 AM

It'll be a hospital birth with a midwife or OB for me.  I go to a practice with 4 of each so it's really just luck of the draw.  I've delivered with 2 of their obs already, though, and am really happy with them- they;re very hands off and don't try to force anything on you.  I have a history of tearing badly so I'll most likely need an ob for stitches afterwards any way. 

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#48 of 60 Old 01-04-2011, 01:26 PM

I am hoping to have the baby in the birth center with a Certified Nurse midwife present. I considered HB but decided against it since this is my first pregnancy and I feel like I will feel more supported at the birth center. Also, our birth  center has some awesome labor props like a birthing stool, this sling that hangs from the celing and you can hang on to it and move your hips around, and they have big baths in every birth room. As long as this pregnancy stays normal and healthy I will be good to go, but they would refer me to the hospital if there are any complications. Luckily they work with a physician in the hospital who is pro natural, medication free birth, so I feel pretty comfortable with whatever happens.

For me, the two most important things are that I have a tub available to help ease the pain from contractions, and that I am allowed to move around and labor in any position that feels right. I know if I am stuck on my back I wont get through it as well as if I can move.

One of my best friends is also pregnant and is due about a week before me, and she is planning a home birth, I am really excited to hear how it goes for her!

#49 of 60 Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM

If everything goes as planned, this baby will be our third home birth.

#50 of 60 Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie B. View Post

I am hoping for a homebirth. We had a homebirth planned with my daughter, but had to transfer for what I feel was a dumb reason (water was broken for almost 24 hours; midwives in FL have to transfer care to hospital if baby is not born/almost born by 24 hours).  This time, if my water breaks, I'm keeping my mouth shut! :)  Our midwife is awesome, she just has to follow the rules to keep her license.

Birdie this is what happen to me too. I had to transfer to the hospital after 24 hrs. At the hospital I was put on continual monitoring & pitocin (that did NOTHING for me.)  After 37 hrs of labor and no change from arrival at the hospital I ended up with an emergency c/s. I feel that DS would have been born eventually if I had been allowed to stay at home and stay active, but it is what it is.

Because of the c/s and my LM not working right now as she had a new baby just 2 months after me, I am going to use the OB/GYN practise that delivered my DS. They have several OB/GYNs and 2 CNMs so I hope to have most of my prenatal care with one of the CNMs. However for the birth I'll have to go to a different hospital as our local hospital has a VBAC ban, even though the OB that delivered DS admitted to me in the recovery room that there is no reason why I couldn't expect to have a normal delivery next time. I'll have to drive past several hospitals with L&D units to get to the one that'll consider VBACs.

This really annoys me because I grew up in Scotland where all prenatal care and deliveries are done by midwives unless there are lots of complications. It is rare for anyone to see an OB at any point. They also don't just schedule a c/s simply because you've already had one. VBACs are normal practice back home.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#51 of 60 Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

I am hoping to have the baby in the birth center with a Certified Nurse midwife present. I considered HB but decided against it since this is my first pregnancy and I feel like I will feel more supported at the birth center. Also, our birth  center has some awesome labor props like a birthing stool, this sling that hangs from the celing and you can hang on to it and move your hips around, and they have big baths in every birth room. As long as this pregnancy stays normal and healthy I will be good to go, but they would refer me to the hospital if there are any complications. Luckily they work with a physician in the hospital who is pro natural, medication free birth, so I feel pretty comfortable with whatever happens.

For me, the two most important things are that I have a tub available to help ease the pain from contractions, and that I am allowed to move around and labor in any position that feels right. I know if I am stuck on my back I wont get through it as well as if I can move.

One of my best friends is also pregnant and is due about a week before me, and she is planning a home birth, I am really excited to hear how it goes for her!

Birth centers sound so dreamy to me!  I would definitely go to a birth center if we had them in my state!  I would love that experience, having all that equipment around.

Lyn - how frustrating!  You'll get your VBAC, I just know it. 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#52 of 60 Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM

I wanted a home birth, but I'm due when the midwives are doing vacations and they only do birth center births when one of them is out of town.

Still, it's a love birth center (I work there), so I don't mind :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#53 of 60 Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Thanks Carrie

I'm even more determined than last time to have the birth I know I can have.

One of my best friends who had 4 VBACs all at home (in NZ) and the last one was unassisted has told me about a birth education pack called The Pink Kit. Seemingly its really common in New Zealand, and is way more detailed than the child birth education we got last time from the midwife. Her first birth like me was a hb transfer to hospital then emergency c/s, and she has had no issues with all her other births, she is planning on UC again in a few months with baby #6.

The only reason I think I eneded up with the c/s last time is because of the stupid time limit rules and transfer to hospital. They had my lying down the whole time at the hospital and that really doesn't help progression. I was 8cm and +1 to 2 so if left at home to continue moving around I know in my heart he would have come out eventually. Unfortunately its what the midwife had to do to keep her license.

After this VBAC I'm tempted to try talking DH into UC for the future.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#54 of 60 Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM

I'm planning a UC, but I'm getting care through a hospital MW group so that if I do end up needing/wanting to go to the hospital at least I know who will take care of us. 

Julia mommy to Mikaela 9, Ethan 5, and Cayden 6/10/09, expecting #4 July/ Aug!

I'm a winner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif kinda mom!
#55 of 60 Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM

I am birthing in a hospital because my insurance dropped the birth center!  I'm really angry about that.  I see an OB, but they do have some CNM on staff.  With some luck, we will be getting a doula.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#56 of 60 Old 01-24-2011, 05:41 PM

Homebirth with a CNM for us.  We almost got one with DS but he decided to be posterior and put his 9lb. 12oz.-self in a head lock.  After an hour of pushing at home, his heart rate started to decel (the cord was under his arm, against his chest so it was getting pinned down when I pushed) so we transferred by ambulance to the hospital where he was born with an epidural and forceps.  DD was born vaginally with an epidural in the OR due to being 7 weeks early.  I am SOOOO hoping the third time is the charm for us!  I loved laboring at home and it went so much faster when I could do my thing without worrying about nurses or doctors or anybody else interrupting.

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#57 of 60 Old 01-24-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridaxsky View Post

Homebirth with a CNM for us.  We almost got one with DS but he decided to be posterior and put his 9lb. 12oz.-self in a head lock.  After an hour of pushing at home, his heart rate started to decel (the cord was under his arm, against his chest so it was getting pinned down when I pushed) so we transferred by ambulance to the hospital where he was born with an epidural and forceps.  DD was born vaginally with an epidural in the OR due to being 7 weeks early.  I am SOOOO hoping the third time is the charm for us!  I loved laboring at home and it went so much faster when I could do my thing without worrying about nurses or doctors or anybody else interrupting.

I see you are in OH, and your name looks familiar... do you by chance see Linda or were you in the Sept 07 ddc with me? I'm trying to place you and it's making me batty LOL

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#58 of 60 Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 PM

I want to have MWA HB... Doing a little research now and getting encouragement from a HB girlfriend.... still have lots to do like tell family we are expecting before I run full speed with any thoughts or plans!  I just want to be comfortable and calm... I hate hospital beds and equipment everywhere the environment makes me anxious.  I hate being naked and wearing hospital gowns around a zillion strangers.  So my own home seems really really appealing to me... we will see..I hope it becomes a real possibility for us... As for my husband.. he is amazing and said I can do whatever i want and i would have his full support!  

#59 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post

Quote:

I see you are in OH, and your name looks familiar... do you by chance see Linda or were you in the Sept 07 ddc with me? I'm trying to place you and it's making me batty LOL

Yes to both!  My name is actually Stephanie. I was in the September 07 DDC with my first.  We were living in Toledo at the time and I went to Birth Circle, LaLeche and some of the cloth diapering and baby signing meetups.  With my son, we had moved to the Sandusky area but saw Linda for that pregnancy and birth.  We're seeing her again this time.  Is that where I know you from?

Wife to DH (September '05) and mama to energy.gifEzri (August '07), superhero.gif Oz (April '09) and slingboy.gif Ezekiel (August '11).

#60 of 60 Old 01-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post

Quote:

Yes to both!  My name is actually Stephanie. I was in the September 07 DDC with my first.  We were living in Toledo at the time and I went to Birth Circle, LaLeche and some of the cloth diapering and baby signing meetups.  With my son, we had moved to the Sandusky area but saw Linda for that pregnancy and birth.  We're seeing her again this time.  Is that where I know you from?

LOL, it must be a combo of here & birth circle! (I'm new to Toledo, but we lived near Detroit and have seen Linda for my three kids and this pregnancy) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page