How are you birthing? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How are you birthing?
UC - HB 4 4.76%
MWA - HB 43 51.19%
Birth Center 10 11.90%
CNM Hospital 8 9.52%
OB 16 19.05%
Deciding later.... 3 3.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think there are a lot of Hb'ers in our group, thought it may be nice to know and especially for the first timers considering HB, to see how many of us there are

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

#2 of 60 Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 PM

Home birth with a midwife biggrinbounce.gif

DS 5yrs coolshine.gif DD 1.5 joy.gif Second mommy to 4 DD's jumpers.gif

#3 of 60 Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 PM

I am a first time mom planning on a midwife attended home birth.  I am very committed to it.  The only thing that would prevent me from doing that is if the midwife says I can't for some reason or if an emergency comes up at the birth.  I hope it works out so I can have the baby here at home.  I am such a planner and I get so upset when things do not go as planned.  I'll have to work on that this pregnancy.

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#4 of 60 Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 PM

Well, with three forms of thrombophilia and lungs damaged by infarction, I am being managed by an OB.  I lucked into a good practice though. :-)

Can't wait to hear about all the lovely homebirths! :-)

#5 of 60 Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

I am a first time mom planning on a midwife attended home birth.  I am very committed to it.  The only thing that would prevent me from doing that is if the midwife says I can't for some reason or if an emergency comes up at the birth.  I hope it works out so I can have the baby here at home.  I am such a planner and I get so upset when things do not go as planned.  I'll have to work on that this pregnancy.

Bree

I could have written all of this! I met a wonderful midwife that I'm very excited about working with, and she rents birthing pools, too.

#6 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 AM

Planning on another homebirth with a midwife! It was hard work but so worth it to be home. I will probably also hire a doula this time.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 04:34 AM

Homebirth with a midwife :)  I am so excited.  I had a natural birth in a hospital with DS.  The birth itself was awesome, and I wouldn't mind birthing in a hospital again so much, but the postpartum days in a hospital sucked.  Someone was bothering us every 10 minutes, I couldn't get any rest.  I'm really looking forward to the post birth at home, and taking a nap!

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#8 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 05:43 AM

This will be our second homebirth, third baby.  It's so nice to not have any convincing of DH to do this time---he knows that *of course* we'll plan a homebirth!    love.gif

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#9 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 06:59 AM

Planning a homebirth with a midwife if I have a straightforward pregnancy (no twins, breech, blood pressure issues, etc.) and can find a midwife willing to attend me at home. Here most births happen in the hospital with CNMs, OBs are mainly for complications, and hb midwives are hard to find (they sure don't list themselves in the phone book!). I will not be devastated if I end up having to birth in the hospital for some reason - I'm pretty sure they are respectful of your wishes if you want a natural birth. As a PP mentioned, a large part of it for me is wanting to be at home in the immediate post partum period. Also, my mom had all four of us at home and I always just assumed I would have a hb - it's the default option for me. We'll see how it works out!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#10 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 AM

I am hoping for a home birth with a MW also.  But I am not getting my hopes up.  I am having early issues with my progesterone so I may have to stay with the OB.  So far, I seem to like her after our 5 min visit a week ago.  But I do like her nurse.  The problem is it is a large practice and my odds of actually getting her when I deliver are small.

I wonder what the odds are for me to transfer to a MW at week 12? Any ideas?  At this point I am hoping to have a fully functioning placenta!!!

#11 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 07:39 AM
pjs

I am planning a Cnm in a hospital birth after having had 1 hosp, 1 bc, and 2 Hbs (1 of which was unassisted). I have Bp issues that worsened over my last pregnancy and I'm feeling like this is one of those times I'm thankful for the Cnm/hosp option.

Oak- I took progesterone during my last two pregnancies and had no problem switching to a mw and having a hb
#12 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 07:56 AM

We are planning our second homebirth.  Our first was great!  Let me know if any of you have any questions about homebirthing.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#13 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 AM

I am hoping for a homebirth. We had a homebirth planned with my daughter, but had to transfer for what I feel was a dumb reason (water was broken for almost 24 hours; midwives in FL have to transfer care to hospital if baby is not born/almost born by 24 hours).  This time, if my water breaks, I'm keeping my mouth shut! :)  Our midwife is awesome, she just has to follow the rules to keep her license.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#14 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

OB at the hospital...CNM at the hospital if I get a miracle. 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#15 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 AM

I would love to have a homebirth, but my hubby just really wants to do it in the hospital.  We had this issue last pregnancy so I had my daughter in the hospital with a midwife.  It was a wonderful birth, so I have no regrets.  I just hate that after you have the baby no one lets you rest!  I'm thinking that I'll have a hospital birth with a midwife again and try to get out of there early!! 

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#16 of 60 Old 12-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Midwife at a hospital.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#17 of 60 Old 12-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Homebirth with a midwife.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#18 of 60 Old 12-11-2010, 11:25 AM

Repeat C section due to how we lost our little boy and my resulting PTSD.  We have fantastic OBs here and a wonderful maternity unit, you can choose a family ward where rest of the family can sleep over.  This is great because the hospital is about 40 mins away and DH doesn't drive!  I've let go of wanting a homebirth as we attempted with our first 2, for us it really is now all about just taking home a live baby.

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
#19 of 60 Old 12-11-2010, 02:35 PM

I have risked out of homebirths three times at the very last minute and ended up with drug free hospital births (with the resident, I never knew any of the doctors in advance).  So I'm kind of fed up with midwives at the moment.  UC is an option, I was prepared for one last time.  I may still consider a midwife and attempt a homebirth.  But chances are I'm going to have an unassisted pregnancy and just show up at a hospital when I'm in active labor.  It's worked out ok before, and I don't mind staying for the two days afterwards.  I just say no to everything and let them feed me lol.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#20 of 60 Old 12-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adore4 View Post

Repeat C section due to how we lost our little boy and my resulting PTSD.  We have fantastic OBs here and a wonderful maternity unit, you can choose a family ward where rest of the family can sleep over.  This is great because the hospital is about 40 mins away and DH doesn't drive!  I've let go of wanting a homebirth as we attempted with our first 2, for us it really is now all about just taking home a live baby.

hug2.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#21 of 60 Old 12-12-2010, 08:40 AM

Hospital birth with an OB. I had my first in the hospital with a CNM and the second was delivered by an OB due to prematurity.  I'm sticking with the OB as she is actually less intervention happy than the CNM was.  She let me birth in the position I wanted to and didn't push for any interventions.  She even let me check out of the hospital within 6 hours of DS2's birth.

Kateread.gif, grad student mama to O (4) and J (3)fencing.gif
Cautiously expecting a "bonus" baby in August.

#22 of 60 Old 12-12-2010, 08:48 AM

I really was wanting a homebirth with MW, but since this is our first hubby feels more comfortable at a hospital. I did find a MW group that delivers at a hospital 45 min away. I am calling them on Monday and if all works out that is where we will be going. The facility has birthing pools and all so hopefully it will be awesome! Do you ladies think 45 min is to far to drive while in labor?

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#23 of 60 Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the hug2.gif, BabyCakes!

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
#24 of 60 Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Repeat planned c/s, unfortunately I have no choice.  I would love a home water birth, that would be my dream! 

Mamma to identical twin girls (June, 2006 born at 30 weeks), new bundle of joy due August, 2011
#25 of 60 Old 12-12-2010, 11:09 AM

I would love to have a homebirth, but I can't get my husband on board. Going to a birthing center is kind of a compromise. I'm planning on flying my sister out to be my doula. My first two babies were born in military hospitals and I felt like I was giving birth in a prison.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#26 of 60 Old 12-12-2010, 03:01 PM

DDCC:

karalynnskies: I don't think 45 minutes is too far away - of course, I'm baised! I'm at least 45 minutes to the closest town/hospital/anything. I'm planning to drive in to town at the first signs of labour and then give birth in a privately owned birthing suite in town.

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#27 of 60 Old 12-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karalynnskies View Post

I really was wanting a homebirth with MW, but since this is our first hubby feels more comfortable at a hospital. I did find a MW group that delivers at a hospital 45 min away. I am calling them on Monday and if all works out that is where we will be going. The facility has birthing pools and all so hopefully it will be awesome! Do you ladies think 45 min is to far to drive while in labor?

45 minutes for a 1st time mom is nothing in terms of getting there in time! Whether or not you're going to enjoy the car ride just depends. Others might have more direct experience.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#28 of 60 Old 12-12-2010, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the replies! I figured we would make it in time. The car ride while being in pain is more what i'm worried about... But I really want a water birth with a midwife and this is the next closest thing since dh is too nervous to do a home birth. I'm hoping our first pregnancy and birth goes great that way maybe he will be more open to try a home birth!

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#29 of 60 Old 12-12-2010, 07:04 PM

a cottage homebirth on saltspring island with a midwife :) - just like my last one it was perfect!

#30 of 60 Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karalynnskies View Post

Thanks for the replies! I figured we would make it in time. The car ride while being in pain is more what i'm worried about... But I really want a water birth with a midwife and this is the next closest thing since dh is too nervous to do a home birth. I'm hoping our first pregnancy and birth goes great that way maybe he will be more open to try a home birth!

I dont think it's too far away for a 1st time mom!  If that were my only choice, I would do it too.  Do lots of reading about the stages of labor so that you are in tune with when you should leave for the hospital.  I think you'll be fine!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page