Votes: 16 20.0%
  • OB

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Deciding later....

Votes: 0 0.0%

How are you birthing?

2K views 59 replies 48 participants last post by  Daisie125 
#1 ·
I think there are a lot of Hb'ers in our group, thought it may be nice to know and especially for the first timers considering HB, to see how many of us there are

#3 ·
I am a first time mom planning on a midwife attended home birth. I am very committed to it. The only thing that would prevent me from doing that is if the midwife says I can't for some reason or if an emergency comes up at the birth. I hope it works out so I can have the baby here at home. I am such a planner and I get so upset when things do not go as planned. I'll have to work on that this pregnancy.

Bree

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

I am a first time mom planning on a midwife attended home birth. I am very committed to it. The only thing that would prevent me from doing that is if the midwife says I can't for some reason or if an emergency comes up at the birth. I hope it works out so I can have the baby here at home. I am such a planner and I get so upset when things do not go as planned. I'll have to work on that this pregnancy.

Bree
I could have written all of this! I met a wonderful midwife that I'm very excited about working with, and she rents birthing pools, too.

#7 ·
Homebirth with a midwife :) I am so excited. I had a natural birth in a hospital with DS. The birth itself was awesome, and I wouldn't mind birthing in a hospital again so much, but the postpartum days in a hospital sucked. Someone was bothering us every 10 minutes, I couldn't get any rest. I'm really looking forward to the post birth at home, and taking a nap!

#9 ·
Planning a homebirth with a midwife if I have a straightforward pregnancy (no twins, breech, blood pressure issues, etc.) and can find a midwife willing to attend me at home. Here most births happen in the hospital with CNMs, OBs are mainly for complications, and hb midwives are hard to find (they sure don't list themselves in the phone book!). I will not be devastated if I end up having to birth in the hospital for some reason - I'm pretty sure they are respectful of your wishes if you want a natural birth. As a PP mentioned, a large part of it for me is wanting to be at home in the immediate post partum period. Also, my mom had all four of us at home and I always just assumed I would have a hb - it's the default option for me. We'll see how it works out!

#10 ·
I am hoping for a home birth with a MW also. But I am not getting my hopes up. I am having early issues with my progesterone so I may have to stay with the OB. So far, I seem to like her after our 5 min visit a week ago. But I do like her nurse. The problem is it is a large practice and my odds of actually getting her when I deliver are small.

I wonder what the odds are for me to transfer to a MW at week 12? Any ideas? At this point I am hoping to have a fully functioning placenta!!!

#11 ·
I am planning a Cnm in a hospital birth after having had 1 hosp, 1 bc, and 2 Hbs (1 of which was unassisted). I have Bp issues that worsened over my last pregnancy and I'm feeling like this is one of those times I'm thankful for the Cnm/hosp option.

Oak- I took progesterone during my last two pregnancies and had no problem switching to a mw and having a hb

#13 ·
I am hoping for a homebirth. We had a homebirth planned with my daughter, but had to transfer for what I feel was a dumb reason (water was broken for almost 24 hours; midwives in FL have to transfer care to hospital if baby is not born/almost born by 24 hours). This time, if my water breaks, I'm keeping my mouth shut! :) Our midwife is awesome, she just has to follow the rules to keep her license.

#15 ·
I would love to have a homebirth, but my hubby just really wants to do it in the hospital. We had this issue last pregnancy so I had my daughter in the hospital with a midwife. It was a wonderful birth, so I have no regrets. I just hate that after you have the baby no one lets you rest! I'm thinking that I'll have a hospital birth with a midwife again and try to get out of there early!!

#18 ·
Repeat C section due to how we lost our little boy and my resulting PTSD. We have fantastic OBs here and a wonderful maternity unit, you can choose a family ward where rest of the family can sleep over. This is great because the hospital is about 40 mins away and DH doesn't drive! I've let go of wanting a homebirth as we attempted with our first 2, for us it really is now all about just taking home a live baby.

#19 ·
I have risked out of homebirths three times at the very last minute and ended up with drug free hospital births (with the resident, I never knew any of the doctors in advance). So I'm kind of fed up with midwives at the moment. UC is an option, I was prepared for one last time. I may still consider a midwife and attempt a homebirth. But chances are I'm going to have an unassisted pregnancy and just show up at a hospital when I'm in active labor. It's worked out ok before, and I don't mind staying for the two days afterwards. I just say no to everything and let them feed me lol.

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adore4 View Post

Repeat C section due to how we lost our little boy and my resulting PTSD. We have fantastic OBs here and a wonderful maternity unit, you can choose a family ward where rest of the family can sleep over. This is great because the hospital is about 40 mins away and DH doesn't drive! I've let go of wanting a homebirth as we attempted with our first 2, for us it really is now all about just taking home a live baby.
hug2.gif

#21 ·
Hospital birth with an OB. I had my first in the hospital with a CNM and the second was delivered by an OB due to prematurity. I'm sticking with the OB as she is actually less intervention happy than the CNM was. She let me birth in the position I wanted to and didn't push for any interventions. She even let me check out of the hospital within 6 hours of DS2's birth.

#22 ·
I really was wanting a homebirth with MW, but since this is our first hubby feels more comfortable at a hospital. I did find a MW group that delivers at a hospital 45 min away. I am calling them on Monday and if all works out that is where we will be going. The facility has birthing pools and all so hopefully it will be awesome! Do you ladies think 45 min is to far to drive while in labor?

#25 ·
I would love to have a homebirth, but I can't get my husband on board. Going to a birthing center is kind of a compromise. I'm planning on flying my sister out to be my doula. My first two babies were born in military hospitals and I felt like I was giving birth in a prison.

#26 ·
DDCC:

karalynnskies: I don't think 45 minutes is too far away - of course, I'm baised! I'm at least 45 minutes to the closest town/hospital/anything. I'm planning to drive in to town at the first signs of labour and then give birth in a privately owned birthing suite in town.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.