High-Risk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my first foray into a high-risk pregnancy due to clotting disorders - I want to be happy and excited, but I'm so stressed and scared!  Anyone else in the same boat? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2010, 04:18 AM

Hi Anjelika,

Well, I'm not exactly in the same boat but I will be watched closely throughout this pregnancy. I have the MTHFR mutations (compound hetero.). There's much debate over whether or not these mutations are clotting disorders. My OB doesn't seem too concerned, but I do have a history of losses, so he's agreed with me taking progesterone, extra folic acid, and baby aspirin as well has having my homocysteine levels checked regularly. Oh, and I'm 42, so there's the whole advanced maternal age stress as well.

What clotting disorders do you have and what is your treatment protocol? Good luck to you, mama. I understand the stress and anxiety. Take one day at a time and try to surround yourself with love & support.

Karen

Old 12-10-2010, 05:26 AM

I suppose I'm in this boat, too.  I'm going for a VBAC2C if I can find an OB who will let me.  So let's see - to them my 3 "risk" factors are 2 scars on my uterus, advanced maternal age (? I guess?  I'm 36), and overweight.  I'm sure there's a whole host of things they worry about with an overweight mom, but at least I have always passed my GD 1 hour tests with flying colors (actually last time there was some drama because the lab screwed up and switched the fasting number with the glucola number so I had to go back and get retested and I'm afraid of needles - grrrr). 

Professional Lurker kewl.gif. Married to my highschool sweetheart, "D" partners.gif. Mom to DS1 "G" (Sept. '04) blahblah.gif  , DS2 "W" (April '08) bouncy.gif , and ???? (August '11) 1sttri.gif
Old 12-10-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Karen - I have antiphospholipid syndrome (two positive tests for lupus anticoagulant after being diagnosed with pulmonary emboli).  I also tested positive for the prothrombin gene mutation and MTHFR.  I'll be on Lovenox due to the persistent lupus anticoagulant and history of clotting.  The injections are actually not nearly as bad as I had thought.  We'll see if I still agree in August! ;-)

Good luck to you!  My hematologist says MTHFR is a lesser factor, so I think your OB was right on about the suggestions.  How much folic acid are you taking?  I was going to talk to my OB about this - my prenatal has 400 mcg, but he also wrote a script for 1 mg/4 tablets a day.  That seems like too much... 

Nugget's Mommy - I hear you about the needles.  I think after having my INR tested frequently, they've managed to kill off all the nerve ending in my draw sites, but I remember when I got the first few blood tests done...

Best wishes for a successful VBA2C! 

Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 AM

I have MTHFR homozygous on C677T but I am not being treated as high risk. I am taking 7.5mg of methylfolate to counteract the MTHFR.  For those of you that have it, folic acid doesn't cut it, you need to take methylfolate bc the broken enzyme our genetic issue corresponds with, doesn't process folic but can process methylfolate.  My doc told me at minimum 4mg.  DS was born tongue tied and full of food intolerances and nutrient issues b/c I didn't know about the MTHFR thing (or my own food allergies) for his pregnancy.  We tested him at 7mo because of all his issues, then both DH and I got tested subsequently.  DH and DS are hetero, I'm homo.  This babe shouldn't be tongue tied with the methylfolate on board, but still may be homo like me (75% chance). 

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have bicornuate uterus and a history of placentas that age very early. I also bleed a lot during delivery. All of this has be anxious and almost dreading the birth and I hate that. 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Anjelika--with my prenatal and over-the-counter pills, my total folic acid is 3.2 mg. You sure are dealing with a lot! Sounds like you're in very good hands, though, and brave with the injections! Is this your first baby?

Erin--I asked my OB about the methylfolate, and he said there's really no evidence that it works better than just plain old folic acid. But I'm not sure I agree with him. He also said as long as my homocysteine levels are normal (which they are), then MTHFR is not a problem. Not sure I agree with him on that issue either. There's so much contradictory information in the research! I haven't had DD tested yet because I just found out I have these mutations a few months ago. Now I'm reading about complications caused by vaccinations on kids with MTHFR mutations. Great. More to worry about. DD is 2 and haven't noticed any problems with her, though.

Hi, Nugget's mommy and lovingmommyhood!

Karen

Old 12-10-2010, 12:55 PM
pjs

I have had pregnancy hypertension/pre-e my last two pregnancies. It is also believed that I have later onset gd though that has never been medically confirmed. I will also turn 35 during the course of this pregnancy and not sure if that'll be another risk factor against me.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Karen, here's a good link that shows actually whats broken and suggestions on methylfolate consumption.  http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#MTHFR:%C2%A0%205,10-Methylenetetrahydrofolate%20Reductase%20%28%C3%9E%205-Methyl-Folate%29

if you go on the allergies board here on MDC and look for MTHFR threads, you'll see a bunch of moms who have been researching this a ton, and the conenctions to allergies, liver detox, and yes, vax reactions.  there's a doc with an online video who's son is ASD, he did a small study, and 98% of his studied ASD patients were MTHFR homo

Erin photosmile2.gif  treehugger.gif, DH jammin.gif ,  Mumma to Chase 7/08 superhero.gif and babyf.gif Griff 3/13

MTHFR C677T Homozygous, M/C 2/07 @ 6wks, 12/10 @8wks, 10/11@7wks, 2/12 @4wks.... 

Old 12-10-2010, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the info., Erin. I'm definitely going to ask my OB about this again.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Karen - this will be my second child.  DS is 8, so it's a very different experience this time around!

How's everyone doing this week?  I'm managing my high-risk condition well, but have been sidelined by...morning sickness.  So severe that I had lost ten pounds in the 10 days since I got my BFP and was quite dehydrated.  I didn't have anything near this bad with my son and wasn't anticipating this little wrench in the plans.  On Zofran now and trying to eat - two pieces of toast with butter and jam so far!  Cannot wait to be past the first trimester! :-)

Hope you all are well!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM

I'm in the same kind of boat with high risk. History of preterm labor with my son, blood clot with my daughter and was on lovonox, my daughter stopped growing like she should have,my amniotic fluid decreased rapidly which almost led to stillbirth. And so as a result, this pregnancy I am being watched over very carefully to make sure nothing goes wrong. Good luck to you

Rachellove.gif wife to Michaelsuperhero.gif, mommy to Trey(2)blowkiss.gif, mommy to Genesis(1)thumbsuck.gif, an angel baby lost on March 17th 2008angel.gif and Gracelyn Savannah 1sttri.gif coming around August 11th 2011

User Tag List