Knitting, Sewing, Crafting for baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am ITCHING to get started... but at not even 5 weeks, I feel like it's too early, so I'm filling my time with other projects for the moment.

I nest by knitting... so I know this baby will end up with TONS of longies and cute little sweaters and booties. I prefer gender neutral longies anyway since they match more things, so I'm okay with knitting even though we don't know and aren't finding out the sex - I'll probably make a few gender specific things and just sell what we don't use.

I also sew, to a lesser degree of enjoyment, though... I'll be making the baby's diaper stash like I did with the other three and probably some clothes too.

What do you have on the agenda for the baby?

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#2 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Good question!!

I already have a pretty well stocked box of knitted clothes (hats, booties, longies, soakers, sweaters, tops, etc etc) that I've been compiling for the past year - my knitting has been a way to focus my intent and get out my nervous energy. But there is still so much to do!

I plan on making:

-floor quilt with some flannel fat squares i've had for a long while

-more soakers and longies

-sewing about a dozen simple baby kimono shirts

-dying playsilks with natural dyes

-currently knitting a silk blanket for draping over the bassinet

-more silk and cotton pilot caps for the summer

-lots of baby socks ... they are just way too cute to resist

-sewing some soft leather shoes

-knitting a slightly felted wool lap blanket that we'll use for bed sharing

I'm also working on making some knitted/felted bowls for storing baby things in. A project for nesting once we get moved into our new house will be weaving 7 table runners based on Steiner's color of the day, and sewing 5 coordinating napkins in each color. But that's a far off project!

#3 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 04:06 PM

Blankets! I can't wait to start sewing baby blankets!

~Rose

#4 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 PM

You all sound very industrious! 

As soon as we find out gender, I'll start crocheting little shorties (too hot here for longies).  I'm love my blues and pinks!  Meantime I'm still crocheting more cute little shorties for my 18 month old.  I use the Ladybird Honeysuckle pattern and love it! 

I've done knitted socks and beanies in the past but to be honest didn't end up using them much so won't make more of those.  Bit stuck as what else to make, really, but I've got to be busy so I'm sure i'll think of something.  Felted stuff sounds nice, I have a ton of the fleece stuffed in a cupboard somewhere so that would be good to use up.

Although I love sewing, there are beautiful clothes to be found at second hand shops here, and not much in the way of fabric to buy, so actually works out better to just go charity shopping for amazing bargains.

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
#5 of 22 Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Last pregnancy I knitted like crazy!! I can't wait to start for this one too! I enjoy sewing more though, so I'll probably sew some new things too!

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#6 of 22 Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 AM

Wow!! I am in awe of the sewing and knitting skills you mommas must have. I'm a crafter, but not a knitter (or crocheter). I haven't quilted in about 8-10 years, but I think you've all inspired me to make a baby quilt! Thanks!

Moo.

#7 of 22 Old 12-29-2010, 12:23 PM

I'm making our baby and bff's baby (due in may) diaper stashes...need to get busy!  Also going to make some cute summer gowns, etc.  And a floor mat out of flannel most likely.  I do need to make some summer maternity shirts and skirts too!  Smocking is GREAT!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#8 of 22 Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Let's see...

- An afghan

- A special quilt

- Lots of hats

- Lots of baby mittens

- Some painted onesies

- A few flannel receiving blankets

- A few pant/kimono sets

I am jealous of you mams with advanced knitting skills.  I'd love to be able to knit some sweet little longies!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#9 of 22 Old 12-29-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Longies are REALLY easy, I swear it - longies were my very first knitting project, and they are what I teach most new knitters to do as a first project too! I'd be happy to help you out!

Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

Let's see...

- An afghan

- A special quilt

- Lots of hats

- Lots of baby mittens

- Some painted onesies

- A few pant/kimono sets

I am jealous of you mams with advanced knitting skills.  I'd love to be able to knit some sweet little longies!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#10 of 22 Old 12-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125 View Post

Longies are REALLY easy, I swear it - longies were my very first knitting project, and they are what I teach most new knitters to do as a first project too! I'd be happy to help you out!

Let's see...

- An afghan

- A special quilt

- Lots of hats

- Lots of baby mittens

- Some painted onesies

- A few pant/kimono sets

See, I can crochet shorties, so easy indeed, but knitting them sounds daunting to me, and I'm a good knitter!  And afghan and quilt and making diapers, sounds way beyond me, even though I can sew well.  Suppose once you just try, you find you can do more than you think!  What longies pattern do you use Daisie?  Or have you just made up your own?  I have fallen in love with Malabrigo wool and it crochets up beautifully into shorties with a little picot edging, everyone gushes when my LO wears hers!

We are going to have to share some photos of our stuff!

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
#11 of 22 Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM

I agree, longies are easy! They just take too long for me to knit! I get ADD with knitting. If a project takes too long I get bored and want to start something else! 

Quote:

Let's see...

- An afghan

- A special quilt

- Lots of hats

- Lots of baby mittens

- Some painted onesies

- A few pant/kimono sets

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#12 of 22 Old 12-29-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I don't find longies to take long at all (unless of course I'm making them for my toddler!) I can crank out a small pair in a day.

I use the picky pants pattern for longies, nice and detailed with lots of pics :)

#13 of 22 Old 12-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Ya, I haven't made any newborn ones. The only ones I've made were size 18-24 months! I use the booty extreme pattern. I also make-shifted my own pattern for a pair with a ribbed bottom, so it stretches instead of short rows.

Quote:

I don't find longies to take long at all (unless of course I'm making them for my toddler!) I can crank out a small pair in a day.

I use the picky pants pattern for longies, nice and detailed with lots of pics :)

#14 of 22 Old 12-29-2010, 06:42 PM

I used to think longies were these mysterious, difficult garments... but once I knitted my first pair I was blown away at how easy they are!! In my experience, once you've done a crotch once, you're golden. I knitted a pair of beautiful longies on the plane from Oakland to Austin, TX while sitting next to woman holding her 5 month old - she was so nice and let me try them on her baby, which just made me MORE convinced with how cute/functional they are!

I'd consider myself a pretty proficient knitter (I have the stash to back it up...) but with sewing I feel like I'm making it up as I go along. Wouldn't it be nice to arrange a trade between the knitting and sewing mamas here? I love knitting for others, especially when they know what to do with the knitting (as in, not tossing 100% wool that's been lanolized for cloth diapers into the washer+dryer)!

#15 of 22 Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 AM

I'm not a knitter, but I do think I'll try to learn.  Those longies are too cute.

I'm more of a sewer/crafter.  So far I have planned:

some painted onesies (already made one)

some baby shoes

baby quilt

a fabric cover for the outside of the co-sleeper

dresses (if its a girl)

some soft toys

maybe some diapers- I like to sew for fun though, and I don't think the diapers are going to be much fun.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#16 of 22 Old 01-01-2011, 11:43 AM

For those of you making your own diapers, do you use a particular pattern?  Or could anyone direct me to a good diaper pattern please?  Might give it a bash, as some of DD2's bamboo nappies are getting a bit crunchy!  TIA

#17 of 22 Old 01-01-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adore4 View Post

For those of you making your own diapers, do you use a particular pattern?  Or could anyone direct me to a good diaper pattern please?  Might give it a bash, as some of DD2's bamboo nappies are getting a bit crunchy!  TIA

I have loved loved loved the Darling Diaper unlimited pattern since 2006.  It has directions for all versions, all sizes, etc.  She also has a free newborn pattern on her website that is great for those tiny dipes. :)

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#18 of 22 Old 01-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adore4 View Post

I have loved loved loved the Darling Diaper unlimited pattern since 2006.  It has directions for all versions, all sizes, etc.  She also has a free newborn pattern on her website that is great for those tiny dipes. :)

Thanks, Jillybeans, I'll check that out!

#19 of 22 Old 01-04-2011, 07:51 PM

i'm going to order some supplies and get started in the next month or 2

Wool Jersey Fabric:  little shirts/dresses, hats and some swaddling blankets

Blank Silks:  (hand dyed with natural dyes) Baby blanket backed with the wool jersey and some new scapes for the play stands

Rainbow Colours Flannel: new baby wipes

Crystal Mobile

And a waldorf doll!

#20 of 22 Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM

I won't be knitting much for this babe, I think.  We have so much from our older 3 s/he could wear handknits every day of the week with out repeating.  I will knit up something for him/her to wear home from the hospital so  a soaker for a boy or little dress for a girl.  I've been wanting to knit that bird mobile from Knitty for ages so I'll probably give that a try, too, and some other toys & decorations. 

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#21 of 22 Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 AM

How I wish I could knit!  I have a ton of needles that were my mom's, but I can not get the hang of it.  Mom tried to give me a few lessons, but I was just a failure at it.  Maybe once I'm feeling better I'll give it another try.  Some of the women in my homeschool group are knitters and might be willing to give me a lesson or two. 

I have a few diapers to sew since I already have them cut out from when Nate was a babe.  I'll need to make wipes, also.  However, my SIL owns a fabric and cloth diaper business so I'll just buy most of the diapers and wool covers from her. 

My parents are both quilters, so the baby quilt is all taken care of, too.  I think I'll make some blankets, though. 

Mostly I will be sewing onesies, jammies, kimonos, pants, soft shoes, a sling or two or three, and a stuffed animal.  I love that my SIL has the fabric business.  I have a ton of cute (and mostly organic) fabrics to start using, and I'm far too broke to afford an organic wardrobe any other way. 

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#22 of 22 Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM

ooooooh, SO love reading everyone's plan and ideas love.gif   what a creative bunch!

I'm hoping to knit a pair of longies a month for this little one.  I might work up a doll or other toy, too.  We shall see ...

Looking forward to crafting along with you mamas as we get closer and closer to August.

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page