Anyone else declining all prenatal testing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I mean more the genetic screenings and ultrasounds.

I do the initial bloodwork, urine strips, and the glucose test and nothing else unless the midwives find something they want to investigate further.

I had a hard time declining a sonogram last time because I had a lot of family pressure to find out the sex, but I had no medical reason and stayed team green. But it was hard.

This time, I am 38 so I approached everything with a new perspective, but I just read a great article by Mardsen Wagner that killed any desire to do an ultrasound. When a qualified midwife is watching fundus growth, there is no change or better rates than ultrasound in catching poor uterine growth, which then can indicate other problems.

Any others going the route? 

Anyone else agree there is concern with ultrasound technology?

What are your reasons for declining it?

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#2 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 01:53 PM

In my previous pregnancies, I declined several tests that I didn't think were necessary for me.  One was the test that shows Down syndrome and other birth defects.  Both times I asked my doctors what the test was for and they had said I could terminate my pregnancy, if I wanted to.  Since I knew that I would not be terminating my pregnancy, even if there was a birth defect, I declined the test.  I will be doing at least one ultrasound to make sure everything is growing fine.  As some ladies mentioned in another thread, some problems like heart defects and such, can be operated on in utero or at least give the doctors a look so they can prepare any necessary procedures after the baby is born.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#3 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 02:04 PM

If I have a hospital birth I will do the initial blood work, the ultrasound, and the group B strep probably. I haven't had GD with any pregnancies, so I don't think I'll have it with this one either. Diabetes doesn't run in my family at all either. I'll do the ultrasound because like she said, things like heart defects can be determined with u/s and prepared for. I also want to find out the sex. I probably won't do the screening for downs syndrome ect. because it won't make a difference to me. I'll do the group B strep because if you don't they assume you are + and give you antibiotics.

If I have a home birth I will probably decline most tests since I will have to pay for them out of pocket!

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#4 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 02:08 PM

I have always done the initial blood work and the urine strips. I did the glucose test with my first, but not my second and probably wont this time unless my midwife has a concern. I have not done the more detailed blood work they do at 16 weeks with either daughter, I feel that can just lead to more invasive testing and wont really effect any decision my DH and I would make or the outcome of the pregnancy. DD1 I did have several ultrasounds after several episodes of bleeding and I also did the 20 week ultrasound (we did not find out gender) and then an ultrasound at 35 weeks because she was very small. If I had it to do over again i would have declined the 35 week ultrasound for sure and possible the 20 week. With my second PG I had intended to decline all ultrasounds, but after having a missed m/c I threw that out the window and had an early ultrasound with DD2 to confirm heartbeat, but did not do any further ultrasounds. With this one, now after two losses, I will again do the early ultrasound and more then likely decline the 20 week again. I really do not think ultrasound is a good thing at all, my baby does not need all that energy coursing through their poor defenseless body, but I also do not think the stress I put myself under and the baby worrying about if there is a live baby in there or not is very healthy either. It feels the lesser of two evils.

Do you have a link to that article? I always get crazy questions from family who think I am nuts.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#5 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 02:15 PM

No testing here other than blood pressure & fetal heart tones.

We aren't having ultrasounds (although I do allow the doppler briefly at each visit, so maybe I'm a hypocrite) I just don't see a need for a u/s unless my midwife felt that something was wrong that needed further looking at.

I personally believe not having an ultrasound saved my homebirth with my last - she had two sets of toes fused together, had they seen that on a u/s I may have been pressured (by family or friends, not my midwife) into further testing that could have led me choosing a more invasive birth due to unfounded fears. Turns out she is just fine otherwise ;)

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#6 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 03:03 PM

I'll pipe up as the extremist in the club. lol We're having an UP/UC, barring serious complications of course. I'm not prone to difficult pregnancies, and nothing special runs in either family as far as prenatal or birthing concerns. I am keeping a chart on myself and I claim it's for the "just in case" I have to transfer or CPS or similar come around to harass us....*whispers* but to be honest, I think it's mainly just for the fun of it. =D Certainly, it doesn't hurt when dealing with skeptical friends/family. lol Basically, I plan to live my life as normal, and not do much in the way of worrying unless something strikes me as worrisome.

I definitely plan to chart my weight (I'm overweight to start with and have retained SO much water it looked like massive weight gain with the other pregs. It warrants watching for red flags), and blood pressure. No sonograms unless something needs checking. No glucose unless GD seems likely. I do have a finger prick glucose meter in my EMT kit to do some preliminary testing if I suspect blood sugar issues. I will probably do urine strips...but, ok, again more for the cool science project aspect than really thinking I need them. I mean, more info is great and all. I tend to just trust my gut on most medical matters. I have several friends that are midwives, nutritionists, herbalist, just really knowledgable, etc. that I can generally fill in my own knowledge gaps by turning to. All in all, I don't generally bother with doctors, hospitals, or testing...unless something seems off and I don't know the cause...or I can't legally get a hold of what I need to treat a problem myself. I certainly don't advocate that attitude for everyone...as those things are either of need or comfort to others. As such, they're highly valuable and useful. They tend to be more of a hindrance for me, though, and I'm long past willing to let them hinder me. ;)

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#7 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 PM

we are not doing much. i will decline the GD test this time. i am very healthy and not concerned about it. I wont do any of the screenings. i did them ALL in my last pregnancy (i had a molar pregnancy prior to the last child, and i wanted to make sure nothing was genetically wrong since the molar was a genetic fluke) and i ended up stressing my entire pregnancy because my chances for downs came back so high. turns out my son is perfectly healthy and all that stress just made him a very fussy needy baby. wont be doing THAT again. I am wanting to get an early ultrasound just to rule out molar and i may skip the 20 week ultrasound...  not sure. i want to stay team green, but i am HORRIBLE about waiting!! i am debating on skipping the Group b strep test too.. i tested positive with my last son early on with a UTI and also tested postivie at 36 weeks, but i never made it to the hospital in time, he ended up being born at home with no one else there, so it didnt matter except for the fact that once we got to the hospital they kept him for 2 days to watch him.

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#8 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 PM

Incorrigible, i need some of that energy because tomorrow I have a prenatal intake at the hospital (where I do NOT plan on birthing, but that's where my insurance is based) and I need to find the courage to politely decline almost everything. I had an ultrasound at 8w3d which was immensely comforting for me, but now I don't want anymore until maybe 20w. I don't want the GD test, any genetic testing, etc. We're planning on a homebirth and I have a midwife I'm working with who will be doing my actual prenatal care.

I haven't had my blood drawn and I'm terrified they'll make me do it tomorrow - it's my biggest fear! Is it REALLY necessary? They did a chlamydia/gonorrhea test along with a urine culture and everything came back fine. Just getting the blood drawn... ugh. Not excited. And the doctor that I saw for my UTI totally bullied me and tried me make me feel guilty for "not starting prenatal care by week 8". Grr.

#9 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the editorial about ultrasounds.

I was looking for similar articles about dopplers but I could not find one. I do parallel care with a CNM practice and a HB practice, and I typically allowed the CNMs to use the doppler quickly every few visits. My HB midwife is a fetalscope champ, but I found I just couldn't wait that long.

I am deeply involved in midwifery activism and am always reading the newest articles on childbirth studies. I tend to be just more evidenced based in my choices, and it surprises me how little the obstetric model follows that.

I appreciate the rare circumstance where an ultrasound identifies a problem that is dealt with in utero, but I am willing to bet that the statistic on that is extremely, extremely low and outweighed greatly by false positive readings of a variety of things. Technology has its place, don't get me wrong, but so do statistics. That's how I see it.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#10 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Another UPer here. I do nothing. No bloodwork, glucose strips, U/S, beta strep testing, I don't even check my weight, an increase in BP has never been an issue, last pg I didn't take it once. I did listen to heart tones with a doppler once last time. I hired a MW friend for the birth only for DS for DH, she didn't end up making it but her one request is that I do one prenatal in which she can document that she at least heard the baby. I am an RN I actually have a BP cuff, stethoscope, and a doppler, I just choose not to choose them. If something felt off then I would, but it never has. In case of a transfer, I do have a MW, she just isn't here currently. winky.gif I do not worry about CPS because I have an excellent pedi who knows me very well, check out my newborns for me, doesn't bat an eye at what I do, and will fight for anything with me. We have been through the wringer with some of my other children and she always backs me up in anything I decide. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 03:57 PM

I'm doing the initial bloodwork, urine strips, miiight do the rapid GTT but probably not. I'm debating having an ultrasound early to check for a heartbeat since I've been angsting over a possible m/c, but I'm undecided. I'm getting an anatomy scan at six months because I want to find out the sex, but other than that, nada. I wouldn't terminate for any reason and unless something develops in my bloodwork or pee, I don't really have anything to test for.

~Rose

#12 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM

I'm a total noob to this whole thing. I've only been PG once before and it ended in emergency surgery (tubal) just this past October, so while I'm not interested in genetic testing for the sake of terminating a pregnancy (!!), I don't know what to do or not do and why or why not. I will probably do one u/s just for reassurance and I'm in the process of getting hcg levels drawn over this whole week to ensure doubling rates are normal, but other than that, I have no desire for extra non-medically necessary testing, and very little trust in doctors to tell me what's necessary and what's not with any degree of sincerity/truth. I'm also 37 (I almost put 38 - I keep saying I'm 38 but I won't be until March - LOL) and this baby will be my first. Can any of you mamas point me in the direction of reading material for what might be thrown at me as far as testing from docs and then info about necessity of them? Still considering a midwife and/or doula to the point of having made an appointment with a MW already for Jan. 17.

Moo.

#13 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 04:27 PM

I don't like ultrasound, just don't trust it, didn't have any with first 2 pregnancies.  However, after our loss, our views changed, and so with DD2 we had one superquick at 12 weeks to see a heartbeat because anxiety was going through the roof, and another superquick at 20 weeks to see gender, purely for emotional reasons so we could prepare ourselves.  We will do the same this pregnancy.  Otherwise, I turn down everything else apart from blood pressure, just roll my eyes and let them get on with it eyesroll.gif.  If they want to do doppler, I ask for pinnards, and they have to dust it off and battle along with that instead ROTFLMAO.gif

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
#14 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

I'm a total noob to this whole thing. I've only been PG once before and it ended in emergency surgery (tubal) just this past October, so while I'm not interested in genetic testing for the sake of terminating a pregnancy (!!), I don't know what to do or not do and why or why not. I will probably do one u/s just for reassurance and I'm in the process of getting hcg levels drawn over this whole week to ensure doubling rates are normal, but other than that, I have no desire for extra non-medically necessary testing, and very little trust in doctors to tell me what's necessary and what's not with any degree of sincerity/truth. I'm also 37 (I almost put 38 - I keep saying I'm 38 but I won't be until March - LOL) and this baby will be my first. Can any of you mamas point me in the direction of reading material for what might be thrown at me as far as testing from docs and then info about necessity of them? Still considering a midwife and/or doula to the point of having made an appointment with a MW already for Jan. 17.

I think the Henci Goer book is probably the best in terms of presenting real data compared to what you will be pressured into at the OB's office. The midwifery model of care, if you are not risked out is so much better of an experience. I hope your appt on the 17th goes well!

#15 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 04:51 PM

I don't want an u/s, or any of the genetic testing either. I plan on declining the glucose test as well.

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#16 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openpollination View Post

Incorrigible, i need some of that energy because tomorrow I have a prenatal intake at the hospital

Sending my stubborn, know-it-all vibes your way! =D

The trick I use when docs want to run tests I don't want run is not to tell them "no". I tell them something like, "I don't take any medications or undergo any procedures I haven't thoroughly researched and drawn my own conclusions about. Could you please write down everything you're suggesting, for me? I'll look into it, and call the office to schedule everything I'm comfortable with next week." I just repeat that first sentence over and over until they're willing to write down the info and let me be. Also be open to any resources they want to send you to for info. Take note. Worst case scenario, you have a good laugh at some biased info. Best case, you actually learn something that will help you make better informed decissions in the future. If I have researched it already, I'll be honest but open. "I don't really like what I've read about that test, so far. I'd love to read some opposing info on it though, if you can direct me to some." Sometimes they agree it's a bad idea but they are expected to present it. If they suggest opposing reading, "Thanks. I'll read that and call the office to set up an apt next week if I've changed my mind." Always with the friendly and smiles.

When they get ignorant, I am totally blunt and to the point though. "Listen, you don't seem to understand your place here. I'm your customer, not your employee. You don't have any right to tell me what to do. I'm already reporting your behavior to the hospital. If you keep it up, I'll report it to the Medical Professionals Board" or whoever handles licensing in that state.

In your case, I'd be really honest though. Totally deadpan, "Listen, I'm just here because insurance wants you to have my info. I'm not having any exams or tests done. I have a midwife handling that. This is just to get my info on file for the thin chance I have an emergency transfer in August."

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#17 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 05:31 PM

i am planning unassisted pregnancy and unassisted birth this time for #4 so i am not interested in any tests by medical professionals. i went through the standard medical routines for my first 2 births and then saw a CPM for half of my pregnancy with my 3rd, but I remember one day in my third pregnancy just feeling like a huge weight of stress would be lifted if i just stopped going to all these fear mongering appointments. the last 20 weeks of my 3rd pregnancy were unassisted followed by an easy unassisted home water birth. i am hoping for a similar birth experience this time and i feel so relieved already thinking about not bothering with appts, when i read a lot of the other moms posts about appts, i feel relieved not to be worrying about all of that. i do sort of remember how nice it was to hear the heartbeat and get an ultrasound in my previous pregnancies, also knowing the gender was nice---but this time i just feel the need to not worry about any of that. i like the idea of the gender surprise this time.

#18 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 05:43 PM

I'm going to decline anything that I feel is unnecessary. We are having an ultrasound and having the tech write down the gender so we can mail it to my Mom. We like having the surprise, but I want her to send me all the boy clothes that are too small for my nephew if we are having a boy. 

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#19 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 06:09 PM

I always say no to the gbs and glucose tests.  I don't go to many appointments, but I have to go to some.  So I let them check vitals and draw blood and stuff if they want to then.  No paps though and no hands up in my privates!  I never let them take my weight.  I don't get ultrasounds for fun or to check gender, but I always end up some kind of high risk and usually end up "needing" some anyways.

Birth is even more fun.  I refuse to sign any of the standard consent forms when I get there (which can take up to an hour for them to freak out and try to figure out how to deal with) and then I just keep saying "no" to stuff after that.  I do what I want during labor and they have to put up with it cause they're the county hospital lol.  

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#20 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I do all the regular labs, urine, blood pressure & initial blood work. I also do the GBS testing and the 20 week ultrasound. I decline AFP and Amnio. 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#21 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Well, I guess I am the extreme in the other direction in this group. I am so very high risk due to really abnormal birth defects in my reproductive system (I'm in a text book haha). I physically cannot birth vaginally, I start having preterm labor around 16-18 weeks in each pregnancy, and the real kicker is that I have multiple uteruses which all seem to behave differently to pregnancy, and none of them are formed normally. This baby is in one that I have never been pregnant in before so that makes everyone nervous.

So...I am either 7 & 3 or 8 & 3 and I have had blood work, urine, and an ultrasound on the 16th. I have my next round of all that on Jan 3rd and assuming things go well, I will continue the urine and ultrasound every 3-4 weeks until I am 30 weeks and then we move to 2 weeks. I do decline the AFP, GD, and group B strep.

I do struggle and mourn the fact that I can't have the prenatal care or birth I maybe dreamed of, but with my history at this point we are just grateful for a healthy baby. I hope being different in this group isn't looked down upon, I really enjoy you ladies.

#22 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

No, your situation is where technology is warranted, IMO. I can't imagine anyone here not agreeing.

As a women's health geek, forgive my fascination with multiple uteruses. It feels wrong to say that that is sooooooo cool, so I won't. I am pleased that this anatomical deviation has not interfered with your having children, of course. Only if you feel like it, would you elaborate about how this has played out in past pregnancies? Sorry if my curiosity is inappropriate.

#23 of 33 Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 PM

I'm 38 years old and 28 weeks along with my first child. I'm planning a home birth but have gone to a few MD appointments to get my info on file with the HMO. I have refused most tests, including doppler, except those that I feel would be truly helpful for the midwife. I did the basic pregnancy panel in the first trimester and am on the fence about doing another anemia test before birth. I also do monthly blood pressure, pulse, weight, pee strips, uterus measurement, and fetalscope. I opted for the 20-week ultrasound to make sure there was no medical need to birth in a hospital. However, if I knew it was going to last so long, I never would have done it. I feel so bad to have subjected my baby to that much radiation. If I have another child, I will refuse all ultrasound technology unless there is a clear medical reason. I'm also not doing any of the Vitamin K or eye antibiotic stuff after birth.

That said, if serious complications appear, I do appreciate all that modern medicine is able to offer in terms of testing, birthing, and neonatal care. I've vowed to just go with the flow. So far so good and no need for anything more than the basics. (Except for that freaking 30-minute sonogram.)

As for how to refuse tests. Just say, "no thank you" to doppler and other in-office procedures, saying that you don't like anything that isn't medically necessary. You won't be the first person to have said this. If questioned, I say the same line as Incorrigible--that I want to look into the procedure on my own. Once, I let a CNM order the glucose test she was so adamant about, but just didn't follow through since I knew I wouldn't be back to the HMO anyway. For the most part, I've been pleasantly surprised at how accommodating the HMO has been. I was expecting a battle of world views, but it really hasn't been like that.

Emily Lin, mom to Alia (2011). Clinical herbalist and nutritional consultant at Integral Herbalism  (www.facebook.com/IntegralHerbalism). Natural health articles at http://emilylsnelling.hubpages.com .homebirth.jpg treehugger.gif

#24 of 33 Old 12-29-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

I like this website, it breaks down all the "normal" tests that are thrown at you and you can know ahead of time what you want and what you don't want.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/prenataltesting/

AFM - I do a lot less than my mainstream friends, but a lot more compared to you guys.  I do 2 u/s (at least, more if medically needed), fine with the doppler, the GT, the GBS, and I do all the bloodwork and urine strips.  I'm ok with them taking my weight.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#25 of 33 Old 12-29-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emalin View Post

I'm 38 years old and 28 weeks along with my first child. I'm planning a home birth but have gone to a few MD appointments to get my info on file with the HMO. I have refused most tests, including doppler, except those that I feel would be truly helpful for the midwife. I did the basic pregnancy panel in the first trimester and am on the fence about doing another anemia test before birth. I also do monthly blood pressure, pulse, weight, pee strips, uterus measurement, and fetalscope. I opted for the 20-week ultrasound to make sure there was no medical need to birth in a hospital. However, if I knew it was going to last so long, I never would have done it. I feel so bad to have subjected my baby to that much radiation. If I have another child, I will refuse all ultrasound technology unless there is a clear medical reason. I'm also not doing any of the Vitamin K or eye antibiotic stuff after birth.

That said, if serious complications appear, I do appreciate all that modern medicine is able to offer in terms of testing, birthing, and neonatal care. I've vowed to just go with the flow. So far so good and no need for anything more than the basics. (Except for that freaking 30-minute sonogram.)

As for how to refuse tests. Just say, "no thank you" to doppler and other in-office procedures, saying that you don't like anything that isn't medically necessary. You won't be the first person to have said this. If questioned, I say the same line as Incorrigible--that I want to look into the procedure on my own. Once, I let a CNM order the glucose test she was so adamant about, but just didn't follow through since I knew I wouldn't be back to the HMO anyway. For the most part, I've been pleasantly surprised at how accommodating the HMO has been. I was expecting a battle of world views, but it really hasn't been like that.

Actually u/s is not radiation, but it is sound waves that heat up tissue and had not been tested for short or long term effects.
I hate how long they are too! I wish I had not had one for each preg.

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#26 of 33 Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasbaby7 View Post

No, your situation is where technology is warranted, IMO. I can't imagine anyone here not agreeing.

As a women's health geek, forgive my fascination with multiple uteruses. It feels wrong to say that that is sooooooo cool, so I won't. I am pleased that this anatomical deviation has not interfered with your having children, of course. Only if you feel like it, would you elaborate about how this has played out in past pregnancies? Sorry if my curiosity is inappropriate.

I don't mind at all! I can explain to the extent I know, sorry for the length...

So I have two vaginas, three cervixes, four uteruses, and two ovaries. The second vagina is not visible from the outisde of my body and would not be functional as a birth canal. One vagina has two cervixes that each have their own uterus. The other has one cervix that has two uteruses which are fused together. Each uterus to my great delight has it's own cycle, which is how they started to notice something was wrong with me. When I have a period, it just never stops, but each uterus does it's 7-10 days and then the next one starts. It was fantastic let me tell you. So they have me taking hormones when I am not pregnant in order to keep me from having a period, and then three times a year they change the hormones in an attempt to get all four to shed at once...super fun!

This is the main barrier to getting pregnant. When I am on all the hormones to stop the bleeding, I don't ovulate. When I go off all the hormones together, I bleed without stopping. My first baby and this one have both miraculously appeared the old fashioned way, the ones in between have been fertility drugs. When I am pregnant, I don't have a period from the others.

The major obstacles in pregnancy are that each uterus is undersized (the largest is half of normal) and two of them are shaped incorrectly too. This is probably why I start preterm labor about halfway through, because the uterus is only half the size as normal, so it is technically stretched to capacity at 20 weeks. I have been pregnant in three now. One has carried four babies to term. One I miscarry in (but is that coincedence we don't know) and now this is the first baby in the third. My doctor is actually optimistic about this because the one I have carried to term, last time I was open in surgery they said the womb was "picture thin" and completely see through. They were worried about me carrying in that one again.

Thats about all I know...we learn more each time I am open because they can actually see things right there. Ultrasounds actually don't show that much. Once after my second baby they tried to do contrast dye to get a better view, but it turns out I'm allergic so that was called off pretty fast! I've been really lucky having Drs who listen to me and believe me when I tell them what I feel is going on with my body.

#27 of 33 Old 12-29-2010, 09:42 AM

Agatha_Ann - Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, too.  I wish you a healthy and happy 9 full months!!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#28 of 33 Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

That is just amazing! Isn't the body just so incredible!?!?  I am so happy you clearly have access to the right medical team who are working with your body and the challenges it throws them.

Funny how you clearly live with your self and your cycles aren't in-synch. Kind of throws that theory down the toilet.

Do they know the size of this uterus compared to the one that gave you successful pregnancies? What happened in the past after 20 weeks? How far were you able to go with each of them?

Here's hoping this pregnancy is is your easiest yet!

#29 of 33 Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 AM

Last time I ended up doing the bloodwork, urine strips, blood pressure, doppler, modified glucose test & one quick US at the end of the pregnancy to make sure DS wasn't breech. I am thinking I will consent to all of that again this time. None of the other screens unless is someway proven necessary  though.

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#30 of 33 Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the tips and links Carrie and xmasbaby7!!

Moo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page