Which due date to use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-28-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My monthly cycles are fairly regular, almost always 25 days (never longer, although once in a while, 24 days).  My LMP was 11/12, so my due date, according to a 25 day cycle, is Aug. 16.  If I go by most due date calculators, it would be Aug. 19, since they go by a 28 day cycle.  My doctor said that they just automatically go by the 28 day cycle due date.  I know that it doesn't really matter in the long run, but I am choosing to go by the 25 day cycle due date of Aug. 16.

Does anyone else not have a standard 28 day cycle?  What due date are you going by?  due-date-calculator.com lets you enter in your normal cycle length, and your luteal phase length, if you know it. 

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 03:27 PM

My cycles average 28 days, but I usually ovulate a bit late and have a shorter LP. I usually sort of fudge my LMP to match my O date for a typical 28 day cycle. It does not really matter that much though, you never know how long those babies are going to want to cook.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

Old 12-28-2010, 05:00 PM

I have a 30 day average cycle and a 10 day luteal phase. That puts my due date at August 27th, versus August 19th for a 28 day cycle. A difference of eight days can make quite a big difference for an embryo or when someone is breathing down your neck trying to get you to induce for "post-dates". I fudge my LMP so that it matches up with the outdated calendar OBs use.

~Rose

Old 12-28-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri'sgirl View Post

My monthly cycles are fairly regular, almost always 25 days (never longer, although once in a while, 24 days).  My LMP was 11/12, so my due date, according to a 25 day cycle, is Aug. 16.  If I go by most due date calculators, it would be Aug. 19, since they go by a 28 day cycle.  My doctor said that they just automatically go by the 28 day cycle due date.  I know that it doesn't really matter in the long run, but I am choosing to go by the 25 day cycle due date of Aug. 16.

Does anyone else not have a standard 28 day cycle?  What due date are you going by?  due-date-calculator.com lets you enter in your normal cycle length, and your luteal phase length, if you know it. 

Lurking here. Came here t hrough "new posts"

I have irregular cycles but always know my ovulation date. So I go by that. I actually lie to my doctor about my LMP (just count back 2 weeks) to avoid hassel.  Some docs don't believe you know when you o'd.

The problem with having a 25 days cycle is, you could be o'ing on cd 14 and having a shorter LP, or you could be o'ing early and have a normal LP. So if you don't know your O date we can't really tell you what your due date is. Even if your cycles are very regular.

I'd probably pick a happy medium in between.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:13 PM

I have a 30 day cycle and a 14 day luteal phase. The docs will tell me Aug. 29th when I see them (I have yet to), but as of today, I'm thinking August 31st. Rose and Sarah, you mamas have a really good point. I may actually change that when I see the doc, even though it's only two days. Thanks for the tip!

Moo.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:17 PM

I'm in the same annoying boat but not such a big difference as yours, Rose, that can make QUITE a difference!  Mine is a matter of 3 days or so but having had my first 2 pregnancies completely outside of the medical realm, I now have to be part of this silly medical machine where everyone is averaged out.  I know I cook my babies longer and so with a planned section I just feel we should get the right day for goodness sake and go by ovulation, of which I am sure.  So I'm also faced with either arguing my point to doctors who just punch things into computers, or just saying I made a mistake with my LMP and making up one EXACTLY 14 days before I o'd.  One doc said oh well we can date your pregnancy with an ultrasound and I'm like NO!  There is no need for unnecessary u/s I have my O date right here!  Grrrrrr  angry.gif  Fortunately, I've heard my OB is lovely I'm sure he'll let me basically choose my delivery date, which will be as late as poss.

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM

I would pick the later date. Besides... babies can't read charts anyway. They come when they are ready! LOL

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 PM

I had the same problem as I charted and knew my O day was CD20 which is way later than the 14 day average.  I just brought my ovulation chart to my appointment with the fact that I had taken O prediction kits that whole week and my OB adjusted the due date for me.  But it would be easier just to lie about your LMP- it was a bit of a fight to get the change in due date!  I would agree that you should get it later than earlier cause they really go after you once you are past the supposed due date.

fambedsingle2.gifAP Mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 7/11
Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't have much to add, except personal experience.  With my ds I had to fudge my lmp because I knew I ovulated on cd18.  It wound up being a good thing, because he wasn't born until 42w1d.  It would have been that much harder to put off induction if my providers all thought I was really 42w5d.

bcblondie is right though, unless you know your O date, fudging doesn't matter. 

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 AM

Go with the later date!  It'll avoid more hassle at the end if baby is post-dates!

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 12-29-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post

I would pick the later date. Besides... babies can't read charts anyway. They come when they are ready! LOL

Yes!  

Go with the later date.  It will buy you a few more days, if nothing else!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

You're probably right about using the later date...at least with the OB.  I'll still secretly use the earlier date for me.  :)  Plus, I was looking at my past FF charts and noticed that, for the few months that I actually was faithful with them, my average O date was CD 12 and my average LP was 13 days.  Either way, it really doesn't matter, in the long run.  My previous pregnancies didn't land anywhere near the due date.  One was 41 weeks and the other was 39.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11

User Tag List