The Appointment Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know how you feel copper!! I am the same way! I have my first midwife appt on Tuesday (1/11), and I'm excited to hear the heartbeat.  I'm 10 weeks now, so I hope we can hear it. I remember last time we couldn't hear the heartbeat until 11 weeks or so.  So I just have to trust that my body's doing what it's supposed to until I get some proof. 

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommaof2angels View Post

I am curious though...how do you ladies get ultrasounds so early on?

In my case, due to a few months of very irregular periods/spotting, when I suspected I was pregnant and took a home test, it was positive.  When I went to my OB/GYN, they wound't let me schedule an appointment as a new patient unless I could tell them the first day of my last period (which I didn't know) or my due date (which I didn't know, obviously--since I wasn't sure when we conceived.)  So, I had to go back to my primary care, and she ordered an ultrasound for me to diagnose my due date.  As it turned out, I was just under 8 weeks. Since so many rapid/specific changes occur weekly, it was important to get a "dating" ultrasound ASAP to get an accurate due date.  It was kind of a pain, but that's how I ended up with the early ultrasound....complete with heart beat! (swoon!)

Expecting first child1sttri.gif with DP in August 2011joy.gif eager to be a breastfeeding, winner.jpg baby-wearing femalesling.GIF mama! delayedvax.gif
Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

I'm feeling kind of regretful about not having a first tri u/s.  I was fine up until a couple of days ago, and then tonight I tried to hear the heartbeat with a doppler at work.  We have a little u/s machine, too, and I scanned myself and saw NOTHING.  I couldn't hear the hb with the doppler either.  I'm just feeling a little impatient about not having any proof that there is a living baby in there.  I feel pregnant, and I am growing, but dang it!  I want to see or hear my little one and start to bond with her.  I'm tired of constipation and fatigue being my only friends right now!  My first midwife appt is Monday the 17th.  9 more days, but it feels like forever right now.

I'm just having a little hormonal, depressed, pity party right now.  " rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/greensad.gif">greensad.gif

I am really sorry to hear that you're having a hard time right now. I think I would drive my self crazy if I didn't hear the hb or actually see my baby on screen too. How far along are you? I'm 8 weeks and I have one of those home Doppler machines and I find myself all the time putting it on my tummy and hoping I hear my little jelly bean's hb. Even though I know it's still rather early, sometimes I get discouraged because like you, I want some reassurance that there is a baby in there making me so sick. Cheer up, maybe the baby is too small or too hidden to see clear right now with the u/s. I wouldn't worry too much until the midwife tells you there is a problem. Chances are, everything will be fine at your apt. I know waiting is hard...luckily I have my u/s Tuesday but I find myself counting down the seconds bc I am so anxious to have confirmation that my jelly bean is swimming around in my uterus. Good luck smile.gif and (hugs)

Rachellove.gif wife to Michaelsuperhero.gif, mommy to Trey(2)blowkiss.gif, mommy to Genesis(1)thumbsuck.gif, an angel baby lost on March 17th 2008angel.gif and Gracelyn Savannah 1sttri.gif coming around August 11th 2011
Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Tomorrow I'm going in to get my blood drawn, which is my biggest fear :( I am really nervous and trying to put myself in a good  mental place for it, but nothing is really helping! I've already had an ultrasound, and I have another scheduled on Wednesday when I go in for my physical/intake, etc appointment. Then I'm ditching that OB and going with a midwife!

I'll be 11w3d at my appointment on Wednesday, which seems like such a long time from when I found out. I remember thinking "how can I wait until past 10 or 11 weeks to see the doctor for the FIRST TIME?!?", but now it's here!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
pjs

Had my appt today. I think I'm 9 w 2/3 days but midwife said based on feeling my uterus she thinks I could be a week or two ahead of that. They'll date the pregnancy at the sequential screening u/s I'm having in the next week or two. She also found the hb! It took a wile but we both heard the "galloping". She tried to find it again but wasn't able to do so. I'm breathing a temporary sigh or relief ( even though we both heard the hb, the fact that she couldn't get it again to figure out the rate has me doubting! Damn you prior m/cs that have me worried.) Overall, excited that things seem to be good, will breath a bigger sigh of relief once we see the little prune in an u/s.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM

I had my appointment today and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat!!  :D  I'm so excited, it finally feels real.  My Dr warned that it was pretty early (not quite 9 weeks), but we both heard it loud and clear!  joy.gif  I also talked with him about my desire to have a VBA2C and it sounds like he really may be into it.  He's not an OB, just a GP, so we have to find an OB that would be willing to be there, since I plan on having a hospital birth.  He told me that the OB that did my last C-section has been known to be supportive of VBACs, so we'll have to see if he'd be willing to be there for me.

Another piece of good news:  During my last 2 pregnancies, I've had severe anemia.  I got my bloodwork back and he said that there is no sign of anemia, in fact, my iron levels look really good.  Yay for traditional foods and my new prenatal vitamin!

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Awww congratulations!!! I am so excited for you that you got to hear the heartbeat, that's amazing! Also great news about the anemia. I'm sure you'll be able to find a supportive OB especially since you have a long time to look. Good Luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri'sgirl View Post

I had my appointment today and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat!!  :D  I'm so excited, it finally feels real.  My Dr warned that it was pretty early (not quite 9 weeks), but we both heard it loud and clear!  joy.gif  I also talked with him about my desire to have a VBA2C and it sounds like he really may be into it.  He's not an OB, just a GP, so we have to find an OB that would be willing to be there, since I plan on having a hospital birth.  He told me that the OB that did my last C-section has been known to be supportive of VBACs, so we'll have to see if he'd be willing to be there for me.

Another piece of good news:  During my last 2 pregnancies, I've had severe anemia.  I got my bloodwork back and he said that there is no sign of anemia, in fact, my iron levels look really good.  Yay for traditional foods and my new prenatal vitamin!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM

So, I have my first ultrasound today.  I'm 8 weeks, and they're doing it for dating.  When I left the doctor's office last week they gave me a paper with instructions on when to pee and how much to drink before.  I left the directions at home.  So I called and asked the office and the woman said I don't have to do anything.  I only have to drink water for a pelvic ultrasound, but not for a dating ultrasound.  Does this seem weird to anyone else?  What's the difference?

Lauren (28) married to DH (28) 11/4/2007.  Expecting our little peanut August 22, 2011!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

They are probably doing a transvaginal u/s for dating, which I don't think u need a full bladder for.  I could be wrong though!  But that's my first thought.

Good luck!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM

I hadn't thought of that...probably because I never had one.  I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Lauren (28) married to DH (28) 11/4/2007.  Expecting our little peanut August 22, 2011!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:53 AM

I have had 2 ultrasounds and didn't need to drink water for either.  I just scheduled my testing for downs, trisomy 21, etc. and they told me I DO have to drink water before.  Maybe they're making general ultrasound machines better these days so we don't have to fill up with water =)  Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonadl2 View Post

So, I have my first ultrasound today.  I'm 8 weeks, and they're doing it for dating.  When I left the doctor's office last week they gave me a paper with instructions on when to pee and how much to drink before.  I left the directions at home.  So I called and asked the office and the woman said I don't have to do anything.  I only have to drink water for a pelvic ultrasound, but not for a dating ultrasound.  Does this seem weird to anyone else?  What's the difference?

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
Old 01-11-2011, 12:02 PM

Whew!  I feel so relieved.  I have been worried about the bambino (the MW got a heartbeat at 9 weeks, but when we tried with an at-home doppler this past weekend, we got nothing!).  Anyway, I had an u/s this morning to check on a hematoma, and everything looks good!  Kicking up a storm and heartbeat was 161.  I am 11 weeks.

11w_b_small.jpg

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yay Maurine!!! What a cute pic! Hi baby!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 PM

My first appointment is scheduled for January 28th with a new doctor.  I haven't even gone for my blood test or called the old OB to have my records tranferred yet.  I don't know if it is nerves that have me putting it off, or what?  I don't even know my due date yet.  My last three periods were irregular, which is highly unusual for me, and also unusual is the fact that I didn't write down when they began in my calendar, so I'm having to rely on memory of when they occurred.  I'm assuming I'll have an early ultrasound for dating purposes. 

I could still go the the OB I used with the boys, this one is just closer to home.  I didn't have any complaints about the previous OB.  I think they did a great job managing my high-risk pregnancies and births.  You know, I think I just decided to call the old OB.  I guess I just needed to express my fear "out loud" so to speak.

Off to see if I can set up an appointment with the previous OB!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Happy for you Maurine, cute pic =)

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 PM

Super cute pic, Maurine! 

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Awwww precious little peanut!

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Jessica - you totally motivated me to get off my arse and make my appointment with the back up OB for the NT scan.  Thank you!

I'm going next week on the 18th at noon!  Finally get to see this baby!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:47 PM

Maurine, what a sweet picture!!

Jessica - I totally understand. I just got my blood drawn for the first time at 11w. I put it off and put it off for so long because I just couldn't handle the stress. I was unlucky/lucky enough to get a UTI around 8w, so I got an ultrasound before even getting my blood drawn. It was nice to get confirmation in that way!

Tomorrow I'm going in for a physical and ultrasound with some random doctor (I don't use my insurance very much, even though it's really cheap and wonderful - I'm just not a hospital/western medicine gal). I can't wait to see the babe again :)

Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 PM

Wow, time seems to be passing so fast! We already have heartbeats and pictures and emerging bellies!  It's so wonderful to know that our babies are growing healthy and strong!

I had my MW appt this afternoon, and I couldn't have been better!  We heard the heartbeat with the doppler (a strong 170!) and I got to talk a lot about my last birth and process what happened (HB transfer).  This is the same midwife, and she answered all my questions and I feel totally comfortable planning a HB now.  I'm so excited!!

I hope everyone else has care providers that they like/connect with!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Jessica - you totally motivated me to get off my arse and make my appointment with the back up OB for the NT scan.  Thank you!

I'm going next week on the 18th at noon!  Finally get to see this baby!

Woohoo!  I motivated somebody!  I have so little motivation myself right now that that is quite exciting!  lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by openpollination View Post

Jessica - I totally understand. I just got my blood drawn for the first time at 11w. I put it off and put it off for so long because I just couldn't handle the stress. I was unlucky/lucky enough to get a UTI around 8w, so I got an ultrasound before even getting my blood drawn. It was nice to get confirmation in that way! 

I have no doubt that I'm pregnant, and I'm fortunate that I've never had a loss so I don't have that fear that so many seem to have.  But an ultrasound to see the little one would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie B. View Post

Wow, time seems to be passing so fast! We already have heartbeats and pictures and emerging bellies!  It's so wonderful to know that our babies are growing healthy and strong!

No kidding!  In just a couple of weeks, when I go for my first appt, I'll be 1/4 of the way through this pregnancy.  As fast as the weeks fly it will be no time before this baby makes an appearance!  Both of my boys were born early, too, so I may not even go to 40 weeks.  Eeek!

I have a new appointment, still on the 28th but I will be going to the OB I used with my previous pregnancies.  I feel as though a weight has lifted.  They took good care of me and I'm excited to see all of the staff again.  I hope there hasn't been too much turnover in the nursing staff, after all it has been 5 1/2 years since my youngest was born.  The first appointment will just be a paperwork one, though, so no exciting ultrasound pics for me yet.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 01-13-2011, 12:05 PM

Okay, so this is late but I had my appointment on Tuesday, had my ultrasound. I guess you could say everything went well. In the ultrasound, I heard and saw the hb. I wasn't too happy with the ultrasound tech though because she hardly let me even see the baby and didn't do a very thorough check around my uterus. She spent most of her time looking at my cervix and ovaries and told me WAY more than I was even interested in about my cervix. I don't remember any ultrasound tech doing this before with my other two kids. My appointment with the dr went well though. He determined I did not need the blood thinner injections this pregnancy like my previous one just yet. Later that night however, I started bleeding enough to saturate my pad and cramping horribly. I've had a miscarriage before so I knew what to look for. I ended up having to be rushed to the ER, where I spent laying in a bed from 7:30 to 1 am. The dr took very good care of me. He did another pelvic exam and determined I wasn't actively bleeding anymore. That it was just a LOT of old blood which he said shouldn't have come from my earlier pelvic exam cause usually it's just spotting. They did another ultrasound and this ultrasound tech was a lot nicer and a little more thorough. We heard the hb loud and clear again and it was 160 which they said was a very good sign. So the dr sent me home finally about 1 am, put me on a little bedrest because he said the baby looked good and my cervix is still closed. So although they don't know exactly what caused the bleeding and cramping, they're treating it like a threatened miscarriage for now.

Rachellove.gif; wife to Michael2whistle.gif; momma to Trey(2)ROTFLMAO.gif; momma to Genesis(8 months)thumbsuck.gif; one angel.gif lost too soon March 2008 and a 1sttri.gif coming around August 11th 

Rachellove.gif wife to Michaelsuperhero.gif, mommy to Trey(2)blowkiss.gif, mommy to Genesis(1)thumbsuck.gif, an angel baby lost on March 17th 2008angel.gif and Gracelyn Savannah 1sttri.gif coming around August 11th 2011
Old 01-14-2011, 01:02 PM

Met my MW today and LOVE her! We talked for a long time and we seem to be on the same page about things. Such a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. Also heard the heartbeat, she found it right away and it sounded great! luxlove.gif

Old 01-14-2011, 03:08 PM

We had our appointment today.  OMG!!!  We heard the most beautiful heartbeat.  It was awesome!!!!  I can't believe it!  I wish I could listen to it all day long.  What a beautiful and amazing sound!!!  Nice and strong.  I am sooooo in love!!!!!!!!!!!

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 PM

That's great Bree!!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Baby_Cakes, I just looked up above and saw you have your appointment tomorrow! Good luck! goodvibes.gif

Bree, SO glad you got the hear the heartbeat! love.gif

We had a follow-up u/s this morning and our baby is looking strong and bouncy and healthy. We couldn't believe how much the little munchkin flails itself around! He/she's measuring 11w6d, and we're 11w4d, so that makes us happy. And Baby B is showing signs of getting hopefully reabsorbed, which is also really hopeful news. And ALSO, we found out finally that hubby has blood type AB-, and since I'm O- that means I don't have to get the Rhogam shots. joy.gif Keep up the good work, little Darling!

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Tear - Yay for a really active baby! And good news about not needing Rhogam! 

Yes, my appt is tmw, but I really don't think I'm doing anything fun.  I can't have my NT scan at this place, so no u/s and I think I'm just filling out paperwork.  Boring!!  But it's getting the ball rolling!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh! I thought you were gonna see your baby tomorrow. My bad... But yay for getting the ball rolling! love.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

I know!  I wish I were.  I was really seriously looking forward to it, but there's something funny about the insurance. So silly!  Just stick the wand on mah belly! lol.gif

It should be soon, I'll probably book the appt for the u/s tmw.  Since its for the NT I have to get it done within the next few weeks regardless so  om.gif  until then!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Heard the little bugger's heartbeat today!  Such a great sound... 11 weeks, 2 days.  Next monday is the sono, yay!

User Tag List