The Appointment Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 340 Old 01-21-2011, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been a bit absent recently . . . alot going on in life to keep me away . . . but just wanted to update that I had my first appointment with the MW. I had it at 10wks, 5days, and heard the heartbeat! It took them awhile to find it - like 10 minutes - so I was getting nervous, but then they found it. The birth center doesn't do early u/s, which was a little dissapointing, because I wanted to see the little one, but really better since they're not that great for the baby anyway.

I really like the midwife and the intern she has working with her, and all of our questions were answered the way we wanted them too. And I've only gained 2 lbs! So I think everything is good for now. DH is out getting ice cream, so I'm sure I'll be adding more lbs soon!

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#122 of 340 Old 01-23-2011, 08:38 AM

DHs are the best love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethrw View Post
DH is out getting ice cream, so I'm sure I'll be adding more lbs soon!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#123 of 340 Old 01-23-2011, 10:27 AM

I had my first appt on the 20th and it went really good! My MW (hospital group) couldn't find the heartbeat with the doppler so she took me to their u/s and I got to see a very active baby! The baby is measuring about 1 week big, but I'm not surprised as my last 2 kids were almost 10lbs (I figure they have to get a head start at sometime!). I also had all the blood taken for the tests so I could get it out of the way.

My next appt is 2/14 and I'll be about 16w 2d! I'm really due 7/30, but my babies are never in a hurry to come out so I fully expect to deliver in Aug.

Julia mommy to Mikaela 9, Ethan 5, and Cayden 6/10/09, expecting #4 July/ Aug!

I'm a winner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif kinda mom!
#124 of 340 Old 01-24-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Yay for all the hearbeats and active babies on u/s!

I booked my NT u/s on Feb 7th at 1:30.  FINALLY I get an u/s and get to see this baby!!  I'll be 12w6d.

I had DH help me with the finger prick.  OUCH!  I *may* have cried for a second.  LOL.  The initial prick was ok but then it started to burn and ache!  But, I did it.  Whew.  Yes, I'm a wuss.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#125 of 340 Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 AM

Had an unexpected appointment Friday b/c I suspected a UTI.  Turns out it was most likely a false alarm, but I was worried about going into the weekend without access to the doctor.  They sent out a culture just in case, so I'll know for sure today/tomorrow, but the symptoms ended up disappearing. 

Anyway, the best part of my appointment was that we were able to hear the heartbeat with the doppler!  I couldn't believe it!  I was only 9w4d!  We heard it earlier with the dating ultrasound, which is normal at 8 weeks.  But I was really surprised that she found a heartbeat at less than 10 weeks. How exciting!  I feel so great about everything now.  I was worried but now feel like everything is going well and like I want to tell the world!!!! :)

Tomorrow we have a normal appointment with the APRN to hear the HB, do measurements, etc.  So, looking forward to checking in on the little peanut again! :)

Lauren (28) married to DH (28) 11/4/2007.  Expecting our little peanut August 22, 2011!
#126 of 340 Old 01-24-2011, 04:38 PM

I found a midwife.

I finally found a hb midwife that is willing to do a HBAC. We live right on the boundary of the area she will cover. I spoke to her briefly today and have my initial consult with her on Friday afternoon.

I can still hardly believe I might actually get to home birth this precious little baby instead of having to fight for a VBAC with an OB.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#127 of 340 Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 AM

Hooray!!! joy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I found a midwife.

I finally found a hb midwife that is willing to do a HBAC. We live right on the boundary of the area she will cover. I spoke to her briefly today and have my initial consult with her on Friday afternoon.

I can still hardly believe I might actually get to home birth this precious little baby instead of having to fight for a VBAC with an OB.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#128 of 340 Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 AM

Angie, bust!  That is so frustrating!  Glad you found your wallet, though :)

Lyn, yay on finding a hbmw!

Lauren, that's awesome you could hear the hb so early!  How reassuring!

bethrw, 2 pounds is awesome, I think I've gained like 10 already, lol! 

Carrie, you will get an awesome picture at 12w6d!  Maybe they'll even be able to speculate on gender?

jccretarolo, I'm due 7.30, too!  But DS was 15 days "late", so I'll be shocked if this baby shows up in July.  (I am still hoping for a July baby though, b/c I like the birthstone better, lol!)  And, mw had a tough time finding the hb at our first appt, too.  Sounds like we've got a couple of shy babies ;)

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#129 of 340 Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I found a midwife.

Woohoo!  Excellent news!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#130 of 340 Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM

I found my perfect MW! She is really well known in our local community and I just love her! She has her office connected to her home, which is beautiful and magickal. Tons of herbal advice and really respects woman's birth.  I'm so excited to have a HB with her.

There is one downside and that is she is going on vacation at the end of August. My DD according to her wheel changed to August 30th and I went late with my last one.  I know both of her back ups already, having had both of them as past MW's at the BC's I've been a patient of.  They aren't as 'perfect' for me as she is so I am hoping I go late!  I know I'm in the August group (and I'm staying. I like you ladies!) but I'm hoping for a September baby! lol.gif

I have my first appointment scheduled for two weeks from now and I'll be 11 weeks so I'm hoping to hear the heartbeat. I also have an appointment scheduled with another HBMW but I'm going to cancel it. I'm just chicken and don't want to have to do it. I hate telling people, for whatever reason, I rejected their services. I tend to bury my head in the sand. 

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

#131 of 340 Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumini View Post

I found my perfect MW! She is really well known in our local community and I just love her! She has her office connected to her home, which is beautiful and magickal. Tons of herbal advice and really respects woman's birth.  I'm so excited to have a HB with her.

There is one downside and that is she is going on vacation at the end of August. My DD according to her wheel changed to August 30th and I went late with my last one.  I know both of her back ups already, having had both of them as past MW's at the BC's I've been a patient of.  They aren't as 'perfect' for me as she is so I am hoping I go late!  I know I'm in the August group (and I'm staying. I like you ladies!) but I'm hoping for a September baby! lol.gif

I have my first appointment scheduled for two weeks from now and I'll be 11 weeks so I'm hoping to hear the heartbeat. I also have an appointment scheduled with another HBMW but I'm going to cancel it. I'm just chicken and don't want to have to do it. I hate telling people, for whatever reason, I rejected their services. I tend to bury my head in the sand. 

Hooray on finding a mw!  I say as long as you know and are somewhat comfortable with the backups, you're good to go.  I'd probably do the same.

I absolutely HATED telling the one mw I interviewed that I decided to go with someone else.  I really just wanted to fall off the earth.  Or bury my head like you said!!  

Lauren - How cool you heard the heartbeat so early!  

Lyn - AWESOME on finding a HB mw!  

Copper - Idk, but I'm definitely going to ask them to speculate!  Why not?!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#132 of 340 Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 PM

We have been to the Ob twice already. The first time was 12/30 bc I thought my insurance was going to run out at the end of 2010, and they just did blood work and gave me a goody bag with vitamin samples and books and such. I was not charting or planning to get pregnant so I had absolutely no clue when my period was or how far along I was. We had an ultrasound for dating on 1/12 and we were 9w 4d, and we got to hear the heartbeat. I was shocked, I was expecting 6-8 weeks maybe, and not expecting to see much. The baby actually looked like a baby with feet and hands and a giant head, haha. I was very scared at first so the ultrasound really helped me get excited. I was miscarried in 2008 and the only ultrasound I had ever seen was the one that told us we had miscarried, so this one was a happy time. Since I lost the only pregnancy I had ever had I have been on pins and needles this time. I think I lost that pregnancy at around 6 wks, so now being at11w 3d is very comforting and I can't wait to be out of the first trimester! We go back to the Dr on 2/9 for our monthly check in, I can not wait for it to get here, I am still so nervous. Here's a pic of our first ultrasound-Our baby :)

Andrea, 22, wife to DH Chase, 27, parents to 2 wonderful dog2.gif, one cat.gif,  expecting our rainbow1284.gifstork-boy.gif, Roman, in mid-August.
#133 of 340 Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstella View Post

We have been to the Ob twice already. The first time was 12/30 bc I thought my insurance was going to run out at the end of 2010, and they just did blood work and gave me a goody bag with vitamin samples and books and such. I was not charting or planning to get pregnant so I had absolutely no clue when my period was or how far along I was. We had an ultrasound for dating on 1/12 and we were 9w 4d, and we got to hear the heartbeat. I was shocked, I was expecting 6-8 weeks maybe, and not expecting to see much. The baby actually looked like a baby with feet and hands and a giant head, haha. I was very scared at first so the ultrasound really helped me get excited. I was miscarried in 2008 and the only ultrasound I had ever seen was the one that told us we had miscarried, so this one was a happy time. Since I lost the only pregnancy I had ever had I have been on pins and needles this time. I think I lost that pregnancy at around 6 wks, so now being at11w 3d is very comforting and I can't wait to be out of the first trimester! We go back to the Dr on 2/9 for our monthly check in, I can not wait for it to get here, I am still so nervous. Here's a pic of our first ultrasound-Our baby :)

Congratulations and welcome!  I love seeing ultrasound images.     

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#134 of 340 Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Had our first ultrasound on the 25th at almost 11 weeks... it was incredible! The baby was moving a lot - turning over and kicking biggrinbounce.gif it was so cute! It feels so real now. Here's a pic:

First Ultrasound! 01/25/11

Ah! We are so excited!!

- Rachel lady.gif

+ married to Red photosmile2.gif
+ mama to Brooklynn luxlove.gif (age 12)

+ mama to Alder femalesling.GIF born 08/10/11!

#135 of 340 Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 PM

That is adorable!

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#136 of 340 Old 01-27-2011, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

So cute! luxlove.gif I love seeing all these u/s images!  Our little beans sure are growing!!

#137 of 340 Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 PM

I had my first appointment yesterday! Yay! I got to hear the heartbeat. It took a little over a minute to find it  - that was the longest 90 seconds of my life. All you could hear was my own pulse POUNDING and I started shaking. Damn near cried when she found it. It's perfect and in the 150's. Everything is well. We discussed skipping the Gestational Diabetes test. I'm not at risk, other than my ripe old age of 32, and the testing itself isn't perfect. If I DO decide to do it, then she assures me it won't be with that disgusting syrup crap. She does either OJ or breakfast. Whew! I declined all other testing. I'll probably get a CBC and metabolic panel in the next few months, but we're not doing any genetic screenings or anything like that. Can't wait for my next appointment in 4 weeks.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#138 of 340 Old 01-29-2011, 02:49 PM

I had my first appt yesterday at 13 weeks, 4 days. I didn't get to hear the heartbeat, but she did a quick u/s to confirm the dates. I thought my due date was August 2 but she changed it to August 1. I just barely get to stay in the group! I saw a nurse practitioner instead of a midwife or OB. I really hated her guts. She told me that breastfeeding during pregnancy is dangerous and that I should wean immediately. I told her that my milk supply had dropped so we had stopped daytime nursing mostly, but that my 16 month old DD still nurses every 2 hours at night. She said that "All pediatricians agree that babies should be sleeping through the night by 6 months old. If she's still waking that often, it sounds like a behavior problem." WTH?? Of course she recommended crying it out. I was planning on having my first 3-4 appts at their office and then switching to a birthing center around 30 weeks. I'm seriously reconsidering that. I'll give it one more shot and see if any of the midwives have their head on straight, otherwise I'm out of there. I'm not going to be continually harassed for breastfeeding.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#139 of 340 Old 01-29-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamera View Post

I had my first appt yesterday at 13 weeks, 4 days. I didn't get to hear the heartbeat, but she did a quick u/s to confirm the dates. I thought my due date was August 2 but she changed it to August 1. I just barely get to stay in the group! I saw a nurse practitioner instead of a midwife or OB. I really hated her guts. She told me that breastfeeding during pregnancy is dangerous and that I should wean immediately. I told her that my milk supply had dropped so we had stopped daytime nursing mostly, but that my 16 month old DD still nurses every 2 hours at night. She said that "All pediatricians agree that babies should be sleeping through the night by 6 months old. If she's still waking that often, it sounds like a behavior problem." WTH?? Of course she recommended crying it out. I was planning on having my first 3-4 appts at their office and then switching to a birthing center around 30 weeks. I'm seriously reconsidering that. I'll give it one more shot and see if any of the midwives have their head on straight, otherwise I'm out of there. I'm not going to be continually harassed for breastfeeding.

That's ridiculous, ignorant, and infuriating!  What a....well, I can't say it here.  Grrrrr!  Keep nursing your sweet girl, and definitely request a different provider from the practice for your next appt!   

#140 of 340 Old 01-29-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

OMG.  Tamera, RUN do not walk, to another provider!!

Dr's provide medical advice and should NOT be giving parenting advice.  When DD's ped offered me the same advice (regarding CIO and not continuing to nurse thru the night) I said it simply wasn't an issue and we weren't interested in sleep training.  

Makes me SO MAD when dr's overstep their bounds!!  They need to mind their business.  

Definitely keep nursing as long as you want!!

#141 of 340 Old 01-29-2011, 04:11 PM

I wonder how many women have stopped nursing after an appt there because they didn't know better! I wish I would have argued with her, but I knew it probably wouldn't make a difference. I'm debating calling and talking to one of the midwives about it before my next appt so I know if I'm wasting my time or not. Either way, I'm going to be delivering at the birthing center.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#142 of 340 Old 01-29-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamera View Post

I originally planned on dual care for this pregnancy, and when I went to the OB who is covered by my insurance I received the same "advice". I didn't say anything then, but a week later I did call and tell them I was choosing to continue my care elsewhere because he provided me incorrect and outdated information regarding breastfeeding, followed by a fax containing info supporting breastfeeding during pregnancy. I wonder how many other women are hearing this and trusting them... sad! :(

Katie
#143 of 340 Old 01-29-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNewspin View Post

Had our first ultrasound on the 25th at almost 11 weeks... it was incredible! The baby was moving a lot - turning over and kicking biggrinbounce.gif it was so cute! It feels so real now. Here's a pic:

First Ultrasound! 01/25/11

Ah! We are so excited!!

Oh, so sweet! Same place I went, hopefully you got the same lady I did - she was wonderful!

Congratulations! :D

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#144 of 340 Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM

We had our initial consultation with the hb midwife on Friday. She was awesome. She has an office at the side of her house and it even has a play area for little ones you take to your appointments. She has lots of experience with VBACs and is even up to date with the birthing culture of Europe/NZ etc so she understands where I'm coming from. She believes every woman should have the right to choose how she births her babies.

Now I have to call her back and confirm with her that we want to have her as our midwife. I also have to cancel my appointment for tomorrow at the OB office. It was just supposed to be a paperwork appointment so I don't feel bad about cancelling at the last minute.

I'm so excited to be trying for a HBAC. The midwife even recommended that I start taking extra vit C & E to strengthen my amniotic sack so my waters don't break as early with this baby.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#145 of 340 Old 01-30-2011, 04:53 PM

Squeeeeee! I got a hold of my beloved HB midwife, and even though she is on vacation on and off around my due date, she is still willing to take me! Here is one time where my track history of going really late works in my favor! We all love her so much and I just can't picture going through my pregnancy without her. I am seriously over the moon with this news! Probably will have my 1st appointment sometime in the next week. I am going to get to hear my baby's heartbeat. Happy happy! Joy joy!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#146 of 340 Old 01-30-2011, 06:45 PM

I had the consultation with my HB midwife too! She is AMAZING!!! Her office is at her house, so the kids can play in her DD's room. Her DD is the same age as my oldest DD too. Only thing is she is going on vacation to England some time in July-August, and I'm due at the end of August. I met her back up too, but she is 2 hours from me. I don't know if I should just go with her and hope she is here(she is an hour from me too anyways though...) or go with the birth center. My births are kind of quick, so I'm a little nervous about it. My 2nd(a hb) was 3 hours, and my 3rd was 4 hours.

I'm probably staying with my OB until I can get my 20 week u/s though because she doesn't have any u/s place that she works with, and it's easier to get my insurance to cover it at the OBs office. I haven't even seen them yet though(first appointment is on the 22nd, 13.5 weeks!), so I won't see them too much. Maybe 2 appointments!

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#147 of 340 Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Hooray, Jen!!  That's awesome!

Angie - You have time to decide what you're more comfortable with (hb or bc)!  Hooray for a great mw, though!  Tough choice though.  Idk what I would do yet either.  

Lyn - I'm excited for you, too!  

AFM - I had my first prenatal appt yesterday.  Vitals, etc looked great.  DD was so excited to hear the baby's "heart beep" but even after trying twice my mw couldn't catch it.  Baby was moving around too much - moving away from the doppler - so that was enough reassurance for me that things are going ok.  DD was a little bummed but she'll surive, lol.  Next time.  Next appt with my midwife will be Feb 27 (seems soooo far away!!) but I have my u/s on Feb 7.  At least I get a little peek at the babe before next month!!

#148 of 340 Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 AM

Thanks Carrie! "Heart beep"! That is so cute! Hopefully she'll be able to hear it next time.

My 1st appointment is this Thursday @ 1:30 PM. Can't wait! I just hope the storm is all over and done and the roads are clear by then!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#149 of 340 Old 01-31-2011, 01:56 PM

I finally have a date for my first appointment, Valentine's Day!  I'll be having an ultrasound in-office, followed by my first prenatal appointment. 

After filling out my paperwork today and letting them know that I don't know the date of my LMP (I had 3 incredibly light "periods" that were basically 2-3 days of spotting in Sep, Oct, and Nov., totally weird for me when my periods are always exactly the same length and flow pattern) and that I'm already feeling movement they seem to think that I am probably at least 18 weeks along.  I know it's possible, but that seems so far along!  Is it really that uncommon for a woman to feel the baby move earlier?  So many people here on the boards seem to be feeling movement and they definitely know how far along they are.  I know I'm fat, but seriously......the fat is outside of my uterus!!!  lol.gif  It may take longer to feel movement from the outside, but I don't see why it would affect feeling movement internally.  Anyway, I guess we'll know how far along I am in two weeks.  And we'll finally find out if it is indeed just one baby, or if all of these twin signs were some sort of omen!

I'm so excited to get to see this baby!

ETA ~ I forgot to say that my appt is with the new midwife that joined my OB's practice.  They only had OBs and NPs during my previous pregnancies, so this is great!

#150 of 340 Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Oh gosh, could you imagine if you're already practically half way done?  I mean, did you have ANY symptoms like morning sickness or anything during those months with super light periods?  I just couldn't imagine not thinking something was up with how crappy I've been feeling the past 2 and half months! That would just be incredibly insane!  And you have to wait til Feb 14th!?  My goodness, I would GO insane just waiting!!  

The midwife news IS great!  Awesome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page