The Appointment Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 340 Old 02-19-2011, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yay Krista! Such a cool pic too!

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#242 of 340 Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 AM

How cute!!! We have 3 girls, and it is so fun! joy.gif

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#243 of 340 Old 02-19-2011, 08:28 AM

Yay for a good appt!  As for the blood, I've had that happen a few times in my pregnancies.  We determined it was the START of a UTI.  So now, if I get blood showing, I do the anti-UTI diet (extra water, cranberry juice etc) and it's usually gone the next time, and I avoid a UTI!  Just my two cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

I had my first appointment with my HB midwife today and it went great!  We heard the baby's heartbeat and I'm measuring right on target.  Can't ask for more, right? 

The only thing that was  a little off was that there was a slight presence of blood in my urine on the dipstick test.  my MW said it's nothing to be concerned with unless it happens again and then I should talk to a doctor about it because it normally happens in people who have kidney problems (I don't).  I did a google search and found out it can also indicate a UTI, but I don't have any symptoms at all.  I guess I'll just wait a while to see if I develop any UTI symptoms and take it from there. 

I'm scheduled for my 20wk US on March 11th.  Can't wait!

Kristina:

Hooray for an ADORABLE pic!  Hiccups be damned, that's just precious!  We too have three girls, and I love it. :)  This time however, I REALLY want that boy lol!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#244 of 340 Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#245 of 340 Old 02-19-2011, 01:34 PM

WOWSERS.  That kind of terrifies me. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

I'm the oldest of 6, all girls except the youngest.  (My brother is 13.  I'm coming up on 31.)  So this much estrogen in my home is business as usual.  :)

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#246 of 340 Old 02-21-2011, 06:45 PM

Just wanted to share my appt. today : )  I am 16 weeks and went to my wonderful midwife.  We couldn't hear hb with fetoscope, but picked it right up with doppler after a couple of minutes.  I heard it at 12 weeks, but it always so delightful to hear baby's heartbeat when not much movement is being felt.  I have to drive about an hour and a half one way for appt., but it is totally worth it!  Today I took most of my kids and it was a little crazy, but we had a good time and just made a day of it.  A great day!

#247 of 340 Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mommymcnair - yay for baby heart beats!!  Sounds like you had a great appointment.  

AFM - So b/c I've been having this awful lower back pain and crampiness since yesterday, my mw wants me to get checked for a UTI.  She can't make it down here today, so I'm trucking up to her back up OB.  My appointment is at 12:15 EST.  I'm just glad they can see me!  And I hope they'll indulge me a little heartbeat action as well.  I've been so worried with all the cramping and haven't been sure of any movements, though I *think* i felt the baby moving last night.  So, wish me luck, ladies.  I need it!  And some zen.  B/c I need that too! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#248 of 340 Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 AM

So far we have just had one prenatal appointment- it was on Valentine's Day and we got to hear our baby's heartbeat for the first time! It was super cool, especially since it was Valentines day. My MW did the blood test and urine test. She said the urine looked great and we never heard anything back about the blood test, so it must have looked good too. My next appointment is in another 3 weeks. It seems so far away. At that appointment we'll do the physical and the other regular monthly things (urine test, talking, heartbeat, uterus measurement)

We did go in for an early elective ultrasound. We wanted to break the news to our families but wanted to wait until we'd actually heard the heartbeat and see the baby. THe baby was moving all over the place like crazy. The tech said she was pretty sure it was a girl. I was almost certain it was a boy before going in, so we are holding off on buying a bunch of girly things until after the 20 wk scan.

The tech did say it look like she was measuring a week and a half behind which concerned me some, but my MW said not to be worried, since when she measured my uterus, I was measuring right on time.

Here she? is:

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#249 of 340 Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

BabyCakes - I do, indeed, wish you luck, calm, grace, and an appointment where everything checks out okay!  Thanks for the encouragement not to worry too much about my twins  (Which I'm doing much better about.)

It's lovely to see not only people's reports of good visits, but lovely ultrasound pictures.  Looks like there are going to be some beautiful babies coming into the world, this summer!

I am happy to be so close to my next appointment, finally.... just eight days away.

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#250 of 340 Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM

Thinking of you, babycakes!  If it is a UTI, at least you can get it under control quickly.  I've been having trouble keeping up with this thread.  Sorry guys!

#251 of 340 Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

SouthernStormy - aww!  I love early 3D images!  So cute!  And that 2nd pic does look girl to me too! 

AFM - No UTI!!  Hooray!  I'm not symptomatic, and I didn't really want abx, so that's good. When I talked to the dr about my cramping and back pain though, she seemed concerned and asked me if it felt like ctx or labor.  I said the back pain did remind me a bit of labor b/c of how it was wrapping around, but there were no ctx, just constant pain.  She said she wanted to do an u/s.  I got nervous. But she said that she wanted to make sure my cervix wasn't thinning and that baby was ok.  

Baby looks great!  Good hb, was moving around on the u/s, and I swear I saw a penis!  Of course she was busy looking at other things and DD wasn't the least bit interested in seeing her little brother or sister, but WHEW.  HUGE sigh of relief after how I've been feeling.  Yesterday I was in such a state of dispair, I can't even tell you guys.  I thought for sure something was really wrong.

But I suppose this is just par for the course.  I had a very irritable uterus with DD, and I guess my body is just doing its thing super early this time.  Fabulous!  eyesroll.gif

But good news!  Still having a baby!!  Woo hoo!

Oh -- and I scheduled my anatomy scan for March 22 -- my birthday!!  What an awesome present, right!?  Now I really can't wait!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#252 of 340 Old 02-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Hello all,

I just had my first appointment today with an Ob/Gyn. Didn't like her much and really just didn't care for her. I really wanted to have a mw...but something is weird here (at the practice that is) there is one CNM and she sees women upto labor..and then women go to hospital to deliver and there are other mws who deliver babies. This particular CNM doesn't work at the hospital! I think, after next appointment I will switch to the midwife.

I heard baby's heart beat via doppler!! What an amazing feeling! The few seconds before was quite nerve wrecking as the doc wasn't getting the heartbeat...and then it was like boom boom and both nurse and doc went at the same time, tht's ur baby's heartbeat!!

I did manage to piss the doc off, caz I refused to do those tests for varities of syndrom and abnormalities. I won't terminate the pregnancy regardless of the result, and there are really no family history of any abnormalities so I don't think it's much needed in my case. Doc was quite pissed and at one point asked me where I got my education from??? Whooooooaaaaaaaaa!!!

I did end up doing one hour glucose test on the spot as we do have diabetes in family. That I couldn't say no to.

There was a pap test, honestly didn't want to do that either....but doc said, since I didn't have it done for over a year she did it..and always my pap test came back normal and I never saw any blood...but of course today there was blood on those swabing thing...which worried me but she said, it's fine.

I was supposed to get a flu shot, but I didn't get it...I don't know what happened...may be they lost track of what I wanted to do and didn't! 

On Thursday I go back to get the glucose result and then will see doc again on March 15!

phew!

ETA: As of today I am 16.5 weeks! But there was no measurement of anything!

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#253 of 340 Old 02-22-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noorjahan View Post
I did manage to piss the doc off, caz I refused to do those tests for varities of syndrom and abnormalities. I won't terminate the pregnancy regardless of the result, and there are really no family history of any abnormalities so I don't think it's much needed in my case. Doc was quite pissed and at one point asked me where I got my education from??? Whooooooaaaaaaaaa!!!

OMG!  How unprofessional of them!!  Dude, do they not realize these tests are totally OPTIONAL?!?  UGH!  Good for you for standing your ground!!  I can't believe how rude that doc was!!

Glad all was well with baby though!  Hearing the hb is so amazing!

#254 of 340 Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 PM

I just had an appointment today and it went surprisingly well. I am planning a home birth with a midwife, but because of silly drama in my state, none of the doctors in the area will be 'back up' for the midwives. So this means that I'm paying out-of-pocket for my midwife (expensive but so worth it) and also going to all my OB visits as well (covered under my insurance). It's lame that I have to do double visits, but I want to have established a relationship with someone in case I need to transfer to the hospital.

Well, I just learned that my stupid OB now has a nurse practitioner doing some of the pre-natal visits, so I got her today (unfortunately she's not allowed at any of the births.)  But she was such a great listener and very respectful of my decision to decline the 20 week ultrasound and the quad screen blood test. We talked about why I'm declining this and she said, "It looks like you have done lots of research and made the best decision for you." Then she whispered to me that she never had an ultrasound with any of her kids. I could have hugged her! This is the same office where I got bullied into getting an 8 week ultrasound after the OB told me, "What if the baby died in there? We'd have to go in and get it out." Hate him!

Anyway, now I'm going to have all my visits with her, so no more stress for me when I go! Now I just hope that all goes well with the birth so I can have the baby at home and not have to see that jerk again!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#255 of 340 Old 02-22-2011, 02:47 PM

Stormy: Beautiful baby! Congratulations! :D

Baby_Cakes: Yay! I'm so glad things are okay! :D

Noorjahan: Wow! That's one of those times you wish you had the handy comebacks, I'm sure! Like, "I got my education faaar away from where you got your 'social skills.'" What a horrible thing to say! I'm glad that you have other options and I hope things go very well so that you can have any kind of birth that doesn't involve her! Blech!

I think I said no on tests as well because most of the time the positives on those tests are false and so what, anyway? Still keeping the baby.

Cat: Good luck! I hope you get a nice home birth as well, but it's good that you have someone nice to see on the other side in case!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#256 of 340 Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM

SouthernStormy- Great pics!

Noorjahen- Wow, sorry the doc was so rude! I declined those screenings with DD and this one, and my OB then and MW now both kinda acted like it was a normal thing to skip.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#257 of 340 Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 AM

Love those u/s pictures.  They are so sweet! 

We just had our 3d u/s but I haven't posted anything yet because I'm still fuhreaking out over the measurement stuff.  Sigh.  It never ends!  It was cool seeing the 3d, though.

babycakes - very glad no uti and that everything looks good!

#258 of 340 Old 02-23-2011, 05:23 PM

Stormy - those are cute pics! Love the little baby buttcheeks.

Babycakes - glad about the UTI and that you got to see your little one. Whew!

Cat - I would punch that OB. Seriously. Glad you had a nice NP today.

AFM - I had my appointment with my midwife today.  I'm measuring right on target for 16 weeks. Got to hear that beautiful heartbeat...she really had to chase the baby to get it. Baby was moving all over the place. I did end up having a positive strip for glucose in the urine. It's on the low end of the scale and she's not concerned at the moment given my diet in the last 24 hours (went to the movies last night and indulged in some chocolate goodness), but she wants me to lay off junk food. She did a culture for bacterial vaginosis. I already did my own vaginal cytology at work the other day so I know it's BV, but she wanted to culture it to be safe because she doesn't want me having meds I don't need. All in all, it was a good appointment.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#259 of 340 Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 AM

Noor---

That is INSANE, condescending, and arrogant.  I can't believe the Dr asked you that.  I can't even imagine what I would have done.

Carrie--

You and my husband share a birthday.  Yay for Aries =)

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#260 of 340 Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 AM

Also- Stormy- Love how the babe is sprawled out in there.  My husband and I were laughing last night at the pic, she totally made herself at home in there.

Here is my 3d pic from a few weeks ago.  It's nuts how the babies already look so different from one another.  I'm concerned mine already has my nose =/

New Image.JPG

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#261 of 340 Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Yay for all the great u/s pics! I just schedule my 20w u/s to find out the sex of the baby on my birthday too! March 15th! I can't wait. DH and I have already agreed on a boy and a girl name, so as soon as we find out, we can start calling the baby by it's name, which will be so cool!

#262 of 340 Old 02-26-2011, 05:45 AM

I finally had my "16 week" appt yesterday, even though I'm 18 weeks today, lol! 

On Thursday I was feeling really crampy, and my back was very achey, esp on the right side.  By that evening I had to lay on the couch because moving around was so painful.  At one point I was on hands and knees swaying.  I thought to myself "am I in PTL?!"  I was peeing every 10 minutes but tiny amounts and at the end I was involuntarily bearing down.  I even felt in my vag and half expected to find a baby there.  My appt was for Fri morning at 1130, so I just figured I'd ask my MW about it then.  By 830am Friday I was in tears with the pain, and decided to pee in a cup.  I was STARTLED at what came out of my body.  My pee was brown, cloudy to the point that I couldn't see through it, and there was a thick string of puss mixed in.  So, I went to the "backup" clinic and got some antibiotics.  My back was hurting so badly they gave me a long course of strong stuff to ward off a kidney infection.  What an ordeal. 

I'd been battling a head cold all week, and I think I just let myself get really dehydrated.  And, when you're pregnant it's so easly to blow off symptoms.  Back aches?  Well, I'm getting bigger and I've been sleeping like shit, that must be it.  Frequent urination?  Um, hello, when am I NOT peeing frequently!  Crampy?  Well, that happens.  By the time I was crying, I was like, OH!  This is not right!

So, ladies, DRINK YOUR WATER!  I am going to come up with a new system to get more water in, it's been a struggle for me since day 1.  I love water, and it's all I drink, but the day gets so busy I just forget!  Ugh.

This is my first UTI, and I have never felt so lousy in my life.  Not fun.

My midwife came over later in the day and did a regular prenatal. Baby sounds terrific :)  Ute is *just* below my belly button.  Everything else looks fine.  I'm just going to turn into the water nazi now, lol!

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#263 of 340 Old 02-26-2011, 06:16 AM

That sounds like one nasty UTI.  I hope you feel better soon!

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#264 of 340 Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

oh, man that sounds HORRIBLE!! You're right, its so easy to blow off symptoms, and not want to be that pg lady who complains about common pg ailments. Thanks for the water psa, I'm totally going to make it a point to drink my water now. I truly hope u feel better soon!!

#265 of 340 Old 02-26-2011, 09:16 AM

I hope you're feeling better copper! I have heard UTI's are NO fun!

I love all the ultrasound pics! I can't wait to get a good ultrasound pic like you ladies have, our first ultrasound was at 8 weeks 4 days and it pretty much was a little blob, although it was a very cute blob that I fell in love with instantly joy.gif We go March 31st for our 20 weeks ultrasound and I can't wait. I just want to know if this baby is a girl or boy :) I'm feeling like its going to be a girl but we will see..

We had our 4 month appointment on Thursday and it went well. The baby sounded awesome its heartbeat has consistently been in the 160s every time. My uterus is 2 fingers below my belly button, although I still feel like i'm not showing much... I do think I am starting to feel flutters, which is AMAZING! I just can't believe how fast this pregnancy is flying by.

I hope all you ladies are feeling good and all is going well with you :)

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#266 of 340 Old 02-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

I finally had my "16 week" appt yesterday, even though I'm 18 weeks today, lol! 

On Thursday I was feeling really crampy, and my back was very achey, esp on the right side.  By that evening I had to lay on the couch because moving around was so painful.  At one point I was on hands and knees swaying.  I thought to myself "am I in PTL?!"  I was peeing every 10 minutes but tiny amounts and at the end I was involuntarily bearing down.  I even felt in my vag and half expected to find a baby there.  My appt was for Fri morning at 1130, so I just figured I'd ask my MW about it then.  By 830am Friday I was in tears with the pain, and decided to pee in a cup.  I was STARTLED at what came out of my body.  My pee was brown, cloudy to the point that I couldn't see through it, and there was a thick string of puss mixed in.  So, I went to the "backup" clinic and got some antibiotics.  My back was hurting so badly they gave me a long course of strong stuff to ward off a kidney infection.  What an ordeal. 

I'd been battling a head cold all week, and I think I just let myself get really dehydrated.  And, when you're pregnant it's so easly to blow off symptoms.  Back aches?  Well, I'm getting bigger and I've been sleeping like shit, that must be it.  Frequent urination?  Um, hello, when am I NOT peeing frequently!  Crampy?  Well, that happens.  By the time I was crying, I was like, OH!  This is not right!

So, ladies, DRINK YOUR WATER!  I am going to come up with a new system to get more water in, it's been a struggle for me since day 1.  I love water, and it's all I drink, but the day gets so busy I just forget!  Ugh.

This is my first UTI, and I have never felt so lousy in my life.  Not fun.

My midwife came over later in the day and did a regular prenatal. Baby sounds terrific :)  Ute is *just* below my belly button.  Everything else looks fine.  I'm just going to turn into the water nazi now, lol!

Isn't it interesting that something so awful would be a relief? But yay baby!

Very very sorry about the rest. I feel like I drink a ton but I haven't gotten my pee clear more than once a day in awhile. Gaaah. :P

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#267 of 340 Old 02-26-2011, 11:42 AM

Another one chiming in about the beauty of water when you are pregnant! I am prone to preterm labor, generally starting around 20 weeks. Water is seriously the best way to prevent it! It sounds awful because we are in the bathroom so much, but if anyone has issue with preterm labor, water is wonderful!

#268 of 340 Old 02-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Bree, I'm so sorry about that! I've had UTIs before (not when pg) and even though they never got as bad as yours, they are no fun at all.

I'm also trying to make a pact with myself to drink more water, it's the only thing that relieves my almost daily headaches. I bought a couple of different cute water bottles and placed a few around my house, on in my car, and one at my desk at work. That way I don't feel like I have to carry one with me all day. We'll see how it works out....

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#269 of 340 Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

Bree, I'm so sorry about that! I've had UTIs before (not when pg) and even though they never got as bad as yours, they are no fun at all.

I'm also trying to make a pact with myself to drink more water, it's the only thing that relieves my almost daily headaches. I bought a couple of different cute water bottles and placed a few around my house, on in my car, and one at my desk at work. That way I don't feel like I have to carry one with me all day. We'll see how it works out....

It wasn't me with the UTI...it was copperkettle.  I've never had one that bad either!

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#270 of 340 Old 02-26-2011, 03:32 PM

I had a midwife appt today.  All looks good.  I'm 17 wks, 1 day.  I have gained 10 lbs.  BP and urine tests are fine.  I am measuring 18 wks so she said the baby is growing really well (since I'm 10000% sure of my conception date).  I declined the Doppler.  She was in total shock! :)  I was a total worry wart before getting pregnant and in early pregnancy.  I heard the heartbeat at 11 wks and later I read about how Dopplers might not be 100% safe.  She said there was no reason for her to do it and she was fine not doing it, she was just so surprised how much more confident I have become.  It helps that I feel the baby move almost every day now.  I know he/she is okay because he/she cruises around in there.  I don't think the Doppler is unsafe, but since I could "what if" about it and since I know the baby is moving in there, I decided to save the exposure for later when I need it.  Her handheld thing is only 2megaHz and I know right where the baby is so it would be a fast check.  I was really proud of myself, though I would have loved to hear it again...I taped it last time though. :)

Speaking of heartbeats, I want to get a fetoscope or stethoscope to hear the baby later.  Which would you get?  I would need the stethoscope right?  The fetoscope needs to be right above the belly right and I can't get in that position. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page