The Appointment Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought maybe we could use a separate spot for us to talk about our upcoming appointments, how they go, who we are seeing, and post u/s pics, etc!

AFM - I'm meeting with a hb midwife next Sunday, the 9th.  I also have a prenatal scheduled with a different mw on the 13th, so we'll see if I keep it.  Depends which one I like better!

Other than that, nothing yet.  Anyone else?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 AM
pjs

Have my Cnm Appt in two weeks. They'll probably order a dating u/s as I have very long and irregular cycles but due to dh's work schedule I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to have that done. In my last two pregnancies I've had multiple u/s and office visits at this point, so I'm praying that everything is ok with the little olive!
#3 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 10:04 AM

I have my first u/s at 7 weeks on the 7th, and my first m/w appt on the 19th at 8.5 weeks.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#4 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Well I have my first apt. on the 4th at 7 weeks, 4 days. At this time, they should be doing my first u/s. I am curious though...how do you ladies get ultrasounds so early on? This is my third pregnancy and with my son, I didn't get an ultrasound until 16 weeks. My daughter's wasn't until 19 weeks but I had a lot of u/s with her due to severe complications from then on. This time around, the er dr told me I was very high risk and to get into my ob asap and get an u/s at 5 weeks. I couldn't speak with my ob but the nurse told me they can't do ultrasounds at 5 weeks, which I know is bs and that "she" didn't see me as high risk based on what I was telling her. Mind you, I changed obs from my last pregnancy so they don't know the complications I had from my daughter yet. I have plans to speak with my dr though because the nurse was very rude to me and I have had nothing but problems since that day. She better just hope I don't miscarry because she refused to do her job and see me when the er dr said to. Good luck to all you others

Rachellove.gif wife to Michaelsuperhero.gif, mommy to Trey(2)blowkiss.gif, mommy to Genesis(1)thumbsuck.gif, an angel baby lost on March 17th 2008angel.gif and Gracelyn Savannah 1sttri.gif coming around August 11th 2011
#5 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 11:05 AM

My first appointment is the 6th, I'll be 9w2d. I know I'll have blood taken and will get an u/s.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#6 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommaof2angels View Post

Well I have my first apt. on the 4th at 7 weeks, 4 days. At this time, they should be doing my first u/s. I am curious though...how do you ladies get ultrasounds so early on? This is my third pregnancy and with my son, I didn't get an ultrasound until 16 weeks. My daughter's wasn't until 19 weeks but I had a lot of u/s with her due to severe complications from then on. This time around, the er dr told me I was very high risk and to get into my ob asap and get an u/s at 5 weeks. I couldn't speak with my ob but the nurse told me they can't do ultrasounds at 5 weeks, which I know is bs and that "she" didn't see me as high risk based on what I was telling her. Mind you, I changed obs from my last pregnancy so they don't know the complications I had from my daughter yet. I have plans to speak with my dr though because the nurse was very rude to me and I have had nothing but problems since that day. She better just hope I don't miscarry because she refused to do her job and see me when the er dr said to. Good luck to all you others

Hmm, lots of women go in for dating u/s that early.  I'm not sure why they wouldn't do one.  Though, at 5 weeks it just may have been too early to see much so they didn't want to cause you worry.  Strange though, very strange.  hug.gif

I forgot to put in my OP that I'll be 8w6d when I see the mw next Sunday.  Still...I'm nervous I don't have a mw booked yet.  Anyone else still searching for a provider?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I interviewed and "chose" a MW at 5 weeks, but our first prenatal appt is Jan 17th.  I'll be 12w2w, and hoping we can hear the heartbeat via doppler at that time.  I'm not having an early u/s.  I was charting, so I am positive about my dates.  It does feel kind of weird not to be taking a peek to check on the baby.  I had an u/s at 8w with DS, and it helped it feel real.  Sometimes I catch myself thinking "what if the baby died last week and I don't even know it?"  But I guess that could happen whether or not I'd had an u/s.  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to hearing a heartbeat and having some other sign that there really is a baby other than just bloat and fatigue!!

Can't wait to hear all the appt updates next week :)

Happy New Year!  It's the year of our BABIES!!!

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#8 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 12:02 PM

I had my first appt a couple weeks ago, but we just did paperwork and talk.  I have my first real appt on January 14th to hear the heartbeat.  I will be exactly 11 weeks that day.  I'm really hoping we will hear the heartbeat.  If not I'll have to wait 2 weeks because my midwife will be on vacation.

What are the odds of us hearing the heartbeat with a Doppler at 11 weeks, 0 days?  I am tall and thin if that matters.

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#9 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post
  Sometimes I catch myself thinking "what if the baby died last week and I don't even know it?"  But I guess that could happen whether or not I'd had an u/s.  Anyway, I'm really looking forward to hearing a heartbeat and having some other sign that there really is a baby other than just bloat and fatigue!!

Happy New Year!  It's the year of our BABIES!!!

Oh, CK, I think the SAME THING.  But you're 100% right.  Having an u/s won't prevent it from happening or tell you if it's going to happen.  I'm just trying to do my best to stay positive and just have faith that my body and my baby are ok!

Yay for it being Our Year!  Yay!

Bree - I think that's early, I hear 12 weeks is about when you would start to be able to hear it.  But you never know!  Good luck!!

#10 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I forgot to put in my OP that I'll be 8w6d when I see the mw next Sunday.  Still...I'm nervous I don't have a mw booked yet.  Anyone else still searching for a provider?

I have booked with 2 OBs, just in case, but I don't see either till end of January, when I'll be 12 weeks-ish.  I'm ok with that because I dislike doctors anyway but have to go this route due to circumstances.  I'm pretty sure I'll go with the first one, but I have a second one booked a week later in case I don't like the first!  I'm so picky and I've got to have a good feeling about them, and I have a long list of things I want done and not done during my section!  Last pregnancy, I didn't see the first OB until 16 weeks, and didn't like him, so found another and saw him for the first time at 20 weeks and decided he was the one.  I'm probably every OB's nightmare!

Busy sad happy mum to DD 7, our beloved son lost in childbirth, DD 1.5, and expecting #4 August 2011
#11 of 340 Old 01-01-2011, 03:07 PM

I don't have my first appointment until the 21st, and I think it's just for paperwork and blood work. I'll be 9 weeks:( I hate army clinics! I really hope I can convince them to doing an ultrasound though.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#12 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Soontobe, I first heard DS's heartbeat with a doppler at work at 11w3d.  I tried again a few days later and couldn't find it and it freaked me out, so I think it's hit or miss, but possible that early.

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#13 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 AM

Mommaof2angels  - I had an early ultrasound at 6.3 weeks (I was in a fertility program and it's standard) and they saw an empty sac.  But, everything was fine a week later.  I really wish we had waited until 7 weeks for the first.  So, maybe your doc's office was just trying to prevent unnecessary worry in case things didn't look quite right?  5 weeks is pretty early.  I hope your future visits with them go more smoothly!  ((hug))

Copper - I worry about that same thing as you and Baby_Cakes!  I almost want to buy a doppler so I can check in once a week at home...but I don't know if that's wise.  I don't want to subject myself to a freakout.  And of course, there is nothing you can do if that does happen...

Bree - I think it's totally possible to hear the hb at 11 weeks!  My mw got mine on the doppler last week, at 9.1 weeks.  She said that there was a good chance she couldn't get it, though, and that my uterus was tipped slightly which might make it harder.  So I think everyone is different.

AFM - I had my first meeting with the mw last week.  It went well--heard the heartbeat!  This is a "practice" that I go to with both mw's and ob's.  I'll see an OB at almost 12 weeks (the 14th) and then will try to see only mw's after that.  I really like the convenience of the office...right next door to my work!!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#14 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks ladies.  I guess I will hope to hear the heartbeat, but not freak out if I don't.  Sounds like there is no real reason to be alarmed if I don't hear it.  I just hope my little nugget is doing well and I can't wait to hear him/her in there!!!!

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#15 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 AM

My first appointment is on Jan. 11. I will be 8 weeks 4 days . I think they plan on doing an ultrasound because I was spotting at five weeks. With my daughter I didn't get an US until 19 weeks, but I am actually excited to get an early one done this time.

Babycakes- I haven't chosen a provider yet either. The OB practice where I had my daughter is closed now so I am not sure what I am going to do. The place where I have my first appointment is not the practice I want to use the entire time.

SoonToBe- I think I heard my DD's HB early, like before 9 weeks. I was a little chunky then too. 

#16 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 11:48 AM

I still don't have a provider and I am 10 weeks!

I am determined to have a homeirth, but my location in Illinois doesn't exactly have an abundant supply of midwives, mainly due to the hostile legal environment in the state. I have hit so many dead ends, but finally have a number of a hb midwife an hour away. I am trying to decide if I should call her on a Sunday or wait until tomorrow :)

I had my son at a hospital 3.5 yrs ago because I lived in a tiny apt with a bunch of other people and didn't want to subject them to my birth (they were not friendly to the idea), and then with my daughter 1.5 years ago I had a hb planned until 30 weeks when my midwife called to inform me that she was quitting her practice. She gave me the number of the midwife that I will be calling in the next day or so (although I had lost it since then and had to go through crazy underground searching to get it again!) but this midwife never called me back, even after I tried many times. So I am nervous about being able to get in contact with her this time. But it is looking like she is my only option.

I just want a care provider. Why does Illinois have to be so lame with their treatment of midwives???

#17 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks ladies for the possible explanations about why my dr's office wouldn't do an ultrasound at 5 weeks. I'm just really nervous. But I know if they would have done one then and nothing turned up in the sac, I would have been an even bigger nervous wreck. I just really hope they go ahead and do one on Tuesday.

Bree- if it helps, with my son, they checked it at 11 weeks and couldn't hear it. Then, the next week, they heard it strong and clear. With my daughter however, we heard the heart beat at 9 weeks. So there is hope! Good luck! I remember being scared to death when they told me, with my son, that if the hb wasn't detected at 12 weeks, the dr would have to do an ultrasound to make sure the baby wasn't dead. It's nerve wracking smile.gif

Rachellove.gif wife to Michaelsuperhero.gif, mommy to Trey(2)blowkiss.gif, mommy to Genesis(1)thumbsuck.gif, an angel baby lost on March 17th 2008angel.gif and Gracelyn Savannah 1sttri.gif coming around August 11th 2011
#18 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 12:55 PM

I have my first u/s tomorrow morning. Hoping to see a strong HB.

erika w/ds geek.gif(10.5), ddhearts.gif(8.5), dss sleepytime.gif(3.5)
Missing angel2.gif9/1/10 @ 15 weeks, and angel.gif2/14/11 @ 13 weeks
#19 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 PM

I had my first apt last wednesday and I was 8w6d. I got a dating ultrasound. The heartbeat was 184 bpm, so pretty strong! I cried like a baby the whole time! I'm just going to a local hospital and I'll be working with 4 midwives. I liked the one I met on wednesday,  she was really cool. Good luck with all of your apts!

squirt2.jpg

I just took a picture of the picture, so its kinda weird, but that's my squirt! jumpers.gif

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
#20 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Riley - Wow, just look at that beautiful baby!! joy.gif

#21 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Riley, that is so cute!!

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#22 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 03:00 PM

In about an hour I go to meet with a potential midwife.  I'm still not sure how I feel about dealing with a midwife again after how I was treated by them the last couple of times.  But she seems really nice and works some interesting payment plans for people on Medicare, so I'm going to go and meet her at least. 

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#23 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks! Gah! I'm in-love. Sheepish.gif

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
#24 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommaof2angels View Post

Thanks ladies for the possible explanations about why my dr's office wouldn't do an ultrasound at 5 weeks. I'm just really nervous. But I know if they would have done one then and nothing turned up in the sac, I would have been an even bigger nervous wreck. I just really hope they go ahead and do one on Tuesday.

Bree- if it helps, with my son, they checked it at 11 weeks and couldn't hear it. Then, the next week, they heard it strong and clear. With my daughter however, we heard the heart beat at 9 weeks. So there is hope! Good luck! I remember being scared to death when they told me, with my son, that if the hb wasn't detected at 12 weeks, the dr would have to do an ultrasound to make sure the baby wasn't dead. It's nerve wracking smile.gif

Thanks.  Knowing others didn't hear it until later will help me (hopefully) not freak out.  I can't wait until Jan. 14th!!!

Bree

#25 of 340 Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My first appt is February 1st. I'll be twelve weeks. This was by my choice as it's baby four and I felt comfortable with the wait. I'm getting excited though! Hopefully it'll make the pregnancy seem more real aside from the exhaustion and nausea. 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#26 of 340 Old 01-03-2011, 04:11 AM

I see the OB for the first time on the 17th, I'll be 11 weeks 1 day.  Up until this point I have been seeing my GYN, as he is the one that confirmed the pregnancy.

Kateread.gif, grad student mama to O (4) and J (3)fencing.gif
Cautiously expecting a "bonus" baby in August.

#27 of 340 Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Okay, so I've already had blood work, and provided Friday's results are okay, I will have a confirmation u/s on Jan. 20th... and a midwife initial consult on the 17th of Jan. I'm a little ticked because I don't think I'm as far along as they think I am and they are going to try to hear a heartbeat at only 7.5wks and I'd rather wait until I'm at least 10wks, but maybe I can just cancel it and then reschedule it? I dunno. It's my first and while I want to hear a heartbeat, I'm so freaked out by all these stories of not hearing it until after 8-12 weeks, that I want to wait. Any thoughts?

(Adorable, btw, Riley!!)

Moo.

#28 of 340 Old 01-03-2011, 09:56 AM

I am going to have concurrent care from my OB/mw medical group and from my hb mw.  I have had two appointments already with my OB, the first with her CNM and the second with the OB for an u/s.  I have also done bloodwork already.  I am in contact with my hb mw, but she won't see me until I am at least 12 wks, so probably sometime in February.  I LOVE my OB and if she would do a home birth (or would even guarantee that she would be the one to attend to the birth in the hospital for that matter), I probably wouldn't even bother finding a hb mw, but she doesn't greensad.gif.  I have another appointment for an u/s and follow up with the CNM on Wednesday.  My last pregnancy ended in a missed miscarriage, so my OB is doing a couple of extra u/s to be sure the baby's heart is still going strong.

Riley:  Very lovely pic!

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#29 of 340 Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 PM

I meet with my hb mw on Wed. I'll be 10 weeks. I'm not planning on having an u/s until 20ish weeks. If she wants to try to hear the hb that's fine but if she wants to wait until the next appt that's fine too. I have had significant morning (all-day!) sickness so I'm pretty confident in this little bean smile.gif It should be an interesting meeting though as I saw her with my 1st pregnancy which was great until stuff hit the roof at 31 weeks when I found out I was carrying twins, then my water broke..... due to position they were born via c-section so needless to say she did not end up attending their birth. So with my 2nd preg I was kinda dealing with many mixed emotions about my first birth and, I'll admit, fears about something going wrong. So I choose a different mw whose birth center was much closer to a hospital. She is no longer practicing and I am over my fears and am so excited to return to my original mw, I just hope there's no akwardness about me having seen someone else.... lol, am I being ridiculous?! It's like when you get a haircut from someone different and don't want to tell your hairdresser!

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#30 of 340 Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 PM

I have an appointment with my CNM on January 17 when I will be 10 weeks.  That is MLK day, and both DH and I have off work that day which makes in convenient.  They are going to listen to the heartbeat and do blood work.  I'm also due for my annual pap, so they will do that.  Not sure how long I will continue to see her, though, because it is well known that they will fire you immediately once they find out you are planning a homebirth.  We have some sticky birth politics in our area.

DH and I met with 4 different homebirth midwives last week.  DH wasn't sure about homebirth at all, but after meeting with the midwives he's comfortable with it (yay!).  We decided on one we wanted to work with and I e-mailed her today to let her know.  I think she probably won't see me until 12 weeks or so, but I'll be in communication with her until then.

On-going nausea reminds me all the time that yup, I'm pregnant!

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page