Speaking of Zofran... constipation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone! I'm coming out of the woodwork to talk about pooping, lol. I am 9 weeks pregnant and have been dealing with some intense nausea and vomiting so I went on Zofran.

Does anybody have advice for dealing with the constipation it can cause? I have had some pretty serious constipation issues for the past few weeks, and have tried metamucil since I am having trouble digesting high fiber foods. I have also tried stool softener. Neither of these really help. Is there anything else I can try? Also, should I be worried about the really infrequent bowel movements? I have heard horror stories of ruptured intestines and such.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I will also be talking to the midwife about this at my appointment this week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 08:04 PM

Liquids over fiber - the fiber will work for "maintenance" but worsen a clog apparently.  I had to call my OB after not going for 12 days!  Good luck!

Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Angelika, I am not so good at getting enough fluids because of nausea so I will try to step it up from now on!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

try some pineapple, oranges grapefruit. These three (not all at once) have some great effects. In fact, my breakfast each morning is some pineapple and banana or oranges and bananas (grapefruit is gone from aversions :( )

Also try eating a large dark green salad, that really helps.Spinach, collards, watercress etc. 

HTH

Old 01-08-2011, 04:39 PM

I can't stomach regular water but sparkling water really hits the spot.  You could try that.  I had the same issue on zofran.  It's so unpleasant.  It was hard to tell which was worse - the morning sickness or the constipation.  I hope you feel better soon!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 01-08-2011, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I took zofran last pregnancy a few times, and like ekblad, I didn't know which was worse: the nausea or the constipation/bloating it caused.

I wound up having to take a bisacodyl a couple of times.

Jbouck, what stool softener are you taking?  I looked up colace on safefetus, and it said catagory C, but then when I googled pregnancy + stool softener, everyone said it was safe. 

anjelika, 12 days!  I can't imagine how uncomfortable you were!!!  How did you resolve it?

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the advice!

Copper.kettle: I tried the ducolax stimulant free stool softener before I talked to my midwife. She also recommended colace, so i am going to try that next. I have been drinking a lot more liquids lately so hopefully that will start to help soon!

User Tag List