Prenatal reviews - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-02-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering which prenatals you guys are taking? I was just taking the Nauremade DHA ones but I think they are bothering me -- I've noticed the days I forget to take them I feel much better (almost no nausea as long as I keep my tummy from getting empty). So I dug a couple samples out that my ob-gyn gave me at my last visit -- CitraNatal Assure and Select-OB+DHA.. I like that the CitraNatal ones have b6 and stool softener so I think I'll try those first.

Anyway I made me wonder what everyone else is taking and what their experiences (good and bad) have been with certain brands? Also when do you take them. Am or pm?

Lauren (28) married to DH (28) 11/4/2007.  Expecting our little peanut August 22, 2011!
#2 of 23 Old 01-02-2011, 04:13 PM

I take Rainbow Light prenatal One.  It's one pill a day, has some supportive herbs in it and is vegan.  My body seems to handle it really well.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#3 of 23 Old 01-02-2011, 04:14 PM

I too take the Rainbow Light prenatal.  No problems so far -- just don't always want to take them if my tummy is feeling oogie.  I usually take them at night with a meal and they don't bother my stomach at all.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 23 Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 PM

I am still researching. Vitamins of any kind put me at risk for vomiting, even when I'm not preg. My last 2 pregnancies, I was fairly in the dark to alternative medical practices so I just did what the dr said....that was take them when I could hold them down, and at least that's better than nothing. =/ I think I managed about a dozen prenatals between BOTH pregnancies! Mostly, I plan to indulge my cravings. I trust my body to seek what it needs, and of course I'll pay attention to what it's seeking to get ideas of other things to try. I'm hoping an herbal tea will help provide a bit more of the nutrients I need, too. So far, I've got Red Rasberry Leaves, Alfalfa, and Nettle. I may add something more to it as I find other herbs that would be benefitial for me. I have a history of high levels of vitamins, iron, calcium, etc. even when pregnant and not taking vitamins...so, I'm not worried. I do want to give the baby as much to work with as I can though, so I'm always on the lookout for good ways to do that. =)

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#5 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 AM

I never took prenatals last pregnancy. I started taking them this time in July and had been a regular taker for some 4 months, and then I got my blood work back form my physical and my b12 was tested. It was low, and yet the prenatal I take has a 315% RDA in it.

Then I started eating B12 sources and noticed feeling better.

I just can't believe that vitamins work. I wish they did. I now take a floradix liquid every few days, as I hope that I might absorb something from it.

I sadly feel that we just poop vitamins out and they don't really do squat unless we can get liquid ones.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#6 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 AM

I take Opti-Natal by Eclectic Institute.

http://www.houstonnaturalbirth.com/optinatal.shtml

The formula is by far the best I have found! I can take them on an empty stomach and not even notice, which is huge for me since most regular vitamins make me sick. My midwife carries them at the clinic. Come to find out my mom, aunt and grandma all took them.

#7 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 08:44 AM

I took the rainbow light once daily prenatal with my last pregnancy.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#8 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 AM

I'm just taking my regular Walgreens brand... it's certified by "somewhere official" to dissolve properly and I eat a lot of veggies and fruits, so I'm pretty sure I'm okay. I take mine at night, as for some reason, I think that's better than morning, and it doesn't seem to make me throw up that way either. I also break it in half and swallow it that way... not sure why I do that either. I'm terribly nonchalant about the whole thing and yet I'm completely unworried about it. 

Moo.

#9 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 AM

I take the Rainbow Light prenatals, too. They turn my pee neon yellow, which gives me more motivation to drink water until it's clear again! I've never had stomach issues with them, and I do supplement them with fermented cod liver oil and butter oil.

#10 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips.  Looks like Rainbow Light is the way to go.  I will talk to my doctor about switching to those tomorrow since no one seems to have any tummy issues with them.  I am sure she will want me to supplement fish oil or something.  Any recommendations for brands/types that cause the least amount of digestive distress?

Lauren (28) married to DH (28) 11/4/2007.  Expecting our little peanut August 22, 2011!
#11 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM

trader joe brand has pretty much the same ingredients and are way cheaper

Mother to  Joaquin 10-13-00ribboncesarean.gif , Israel 9-5-2008 hbac.gif Judah 01-26-11hbac.gif Jax 01-26-11ribboncesarean.gif
#12 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 AM

I'm surprised no one's mentioned New Chapter Perfect Prenatal. They're a great whole food organic multi that seem to be working fine for me. I used to take 3 in the morning, but now I spread them out a little...2 with lunch, 1 with dinner...but I doubt it makes any difference. They're also really easy to get a hold of...Whole Foods, Amazon.com, vitamin shoppe, etc.

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#13 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonadl2 View Post

Thanks for all the tips.  Looks like Rainbow Light is the way to go.  I will talk to my doctor about switching to those tomorrow since no one seems to have any tummy issues with them.  I am sure she will want me to supplement fish oil or something.  Any recommendations for brands/types that cause the least amount of digestive distress?

I take an algae based vegan DHA and have no issues with fishie burps.  That's a big deal to me!  I do NOT want to taste it all day!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#14 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM

I also took a vegan algae based dha, but the brand I was using (V-Pure) has been out of stock for the past 6 months. In the meantime, I've been taking Nordic Naturals Prenatal DHA and putting them in the freezer. I've yet to have any fishy burps.

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#15 of 23 Old 01-03-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara125 View Post

... putting them in the freezer. 

yeahthat.gif  I bet regardless of brand, putting them in the freezer or fridge cuts the ick factor out!  Always worked for me, too!

#16 of 23 Old 01-06-2011, 01:36 PM

I'm taking Pure Essence Labs Two 'n' Only. It doesn't make me nauseous. However, I have a mental block from my last pregnancy when my B vits were making me nauseous, so I equate any vitamin with stomach upset. I skip them on some days because the idea of swallowing them makes me gag.

I take Nordic Naturals fish oil caps and have never had fish burps.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#17 of 23 Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 PM

I take the New Chapter ones! I quite like them. They're small and don't have a bad aftertaste, even if you take them without food.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#18 of 23 Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 PM

I take New Chapters too, rave reviews from me!!

#19 of 23 Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 PM

My OB prescribed me Zatean PN last time, I have been taking them since before I got pregnant this time. They are giant green horse pills and they smell like fish, but my body seems to tolerate them pretty well. I usually take them before I leave for work in the morning, no issues with an upset tummy (other than regular m/s).

erika w/ds geek.gif(10.5), ddhearts.gif(8.5), dss sleepytime.gif(3.5)
Missing angel2.gif9/1/10 @ 15 weeks, and angel.gif2/14/11 @ 13 weeks
#20 of 23 Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Another vote for New Chapter!  I try to space them out, one with each meal, but it doesn't seem to work all the time.  Usually, I end up taking 2 at lunch and one with dinner or all three with dinner if I forget the rest of the day.  They don't seem to make me nauseous, since I tend to be nauseous with or without them.  I like that they come from whole food sources.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#21 of 23 Old 01-08-2011, 12:06 AM

I take the CVS brand.  They don't make me nauseaus, but I take them with a full belly.

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#22 of 23 Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 AM

I don't take any.  Just 400mg (or micrograms, whichever it is) per day of folic acid.  It's just occurred to me that I was very sick with my first two pregnancies and not so bad with this one and the last one (which ended in miscarriage).  I took prenatals for the first two and not with the second two.  Hmmmm.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#23 of 23 Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

I take the CVS brand.  They don't make me nauseaus, but I take them with a full belly.

I take the CVS brand as well.  The giant bottle was buy one, get one free! Wahoo!  I take them late-morning, around 11.  So I've already had breakfast, and time to start digesting.  I also haven't had any "morning sickness," just nausea at night which I don't think is related to the prenatal vitamins. They are a decent size for swallowing and they also don't smell like fish at all.

Expecting first child1sttri.gif with DP in August 2011joy.gif eager to be a breastfeeding, winner.jpg baby-wearing femalesling.GIF mama! delayedvax.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page